• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dommel

Ridiculous, it's the middle of the afternoon here (EU) so I should be able to connect because only people without a job and/or students are playing but nooooooo, servers are STILL down.

Ridiculous, it's the middle of the afternoon here (EU) so I should be able to connect because only people without a job and/or students are playing but nooooooo, servers are STILL down.

No servers are up! I believe that our Aussie friends and their Drop Bear nemesis are hogging all the bandwidth.

darkwing

holy crap.

when you get to the hyper cars the complexity of the course track side stuff, shadows, and changes in light really come together.

i dont think anyone is qualified to draw conclusions about the graphics until they drive the henessey venom gt smoothly at banipur India with time dilation on. Not ping ponging into walls and ramming other cars but actually racing properly, from before dawn to morning.

... you cant see any aliasing or lack of AF its just, .. i dont think it will be topped for several years.

too bad most reviewers won't be able to reach this far lol semi-pro circuit is probably very hard for them

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Driveclub - Outrun Colors Edition:
FOpprMG.jpg

Anton668

saw this amazon customer review and reply which I thought was quite funny...
(bolded by me)
ACR
Worst Game Of 2014, October 7, 2014
By jacob
This review is from: DriveClub (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
This was the worst let down of this year! There is not money its all just from leveling up and you cannot paint or turn your car the only paint jobs are the ones they give you. Which make your car look like it was made by 6 year old. I want my money back this is trash!

Modern Bear says:
I would like to point out in response to "you cannot paint or turn your car" that you can in fact turn your car in Driveclub. The cars do in fact have functional steering wheels, which respond to your inputs. I was able to complete tracks that had both left and right turns in them.

eta: paint and turn me if old

GodofWine

I got on this morning and made a club and invited the members...so thats something...we'll see tonight during primetime if the same holds true

Violater

Would an open beta have helped to avoid these issues?
Seems to me a game dependent heavily on its social features should have rigorously tested said features in advance.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This pic is screwing with my mind lol

Undoctored screenshot. Happens if you restart a race and if the lighting conditions change drastically before and after the reset (is my current guess). I could only replicate it on that one course , though. Apparently the image resets softly instead of instantly, giving you that oversaturation for 1-2 seconds. Funky.

Has anyone noticed how good the rumble in this game is? Its amazing how you feel every little bump in the road :O Probably thanks to the hand-modelled tarmac.

Undoctored screenshot. Happens if you restart a race and if the lighting conditions change drastically before and after the reset (is my current guess). I could only replicate it on that one course , though. Apparently the image resets softly instead of instantly, giving you that oversaturation for 1-2 seconds. Funky.

I think the Digital Foundry review mentioned the distant shadow maps being updated every few seconds, which fits with that.

Kane1345

It really does look like Outrun! :p

red731

Yup. Go to garage, paint yo car and move the time(sun postion) fast from anytime to anytime. I will level it self.

I love their simulation engine.

So, I was wondering.

If I remember correctly, Forward+ rendering combines forward and deferred rendering, right?

If that's true, why would Evolution go for using both forward and deferred rendering instead of forward+?

Cyborg

Would an open beta have helped to avoid these issues?
Seems to me a game dependent heavily on its social features should have rigorously tested said features in advance.

Would have......but its easy talking now. They should have figured this out before the launch

Last night I spent 100% dash cam, 0% opacity on the HUD. Amazing... Until you exit a pro level time trial and realize you only out paced the bronze time.

Ha - this happened to me with Scotland :) I wonder how many laps I had to race, until I realized what was going on. Had to turn HUD up to 10%, so I could track progress during the sections.

Nyx

Ha - this happened to me with Scotland :) I wonder how many laps I had to race, until I realized what was going on. Had to turn HUD up to 10%, so I could track progress during the sections.

Next time, just press pause. On the right side of the screen you see how many stars you get if you quit.

Do you mean the dynamic challenges that pop up at the bottom of the screen - ie. drift score, average speed etc?

No, these are called duels (or face-offs in English?).

Challenges are the ones you can create after a race ( regarding your lap time etc.) and send to your friends.

I was kinda harsh in my initial first impressions of this game. But after playing it for another 8 or so hours, this game is blowing me away! The graphics are really amazing in motion too.

stoic-lemon

Neo Member
I got on this morning and made a club and invited the members...so thats something...we'll see tonight during primetime if the same holds true

Accepted! :)

I was so shocked I managed to get on that I nearly dropped my beer. I managed to skid around a few tracks and levelled myself and the club up. We should be at level 2 now, but not sure if it has updated properly.

Apeboy

Day 2. Just a couple of things.

Cars seem kind of light.

Too much tire squeal.

No Helmets.

AI is a tad bit blind when it comes avoiding contact. They are very good at pitting you. Bastards.

Cockpits are a bit dark.

Other than that it is most awesome. The track elevation changes are excellent graphically and impact and vehicle. Breaking and downshifts are handled very well. No cheesing corners. Best of all no driveline. The banners are a very elegant solution.

Completing dumbfounded by the "open world" criticism. It's a racing game, the object is to stay on the road aka corridor.

If I leave the game on at the main menu and do other stuff for half an hour, is there any chance when I come back to it it will have connected me?

darkwing

If I leave the game on at the main menu and do other stuff for half an hour, is there any chance when I come back to it it will have connected me?

probably, but it hasn't connected me yet since I started playing, but I did received a club invitation, sad couldn't accept it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom