• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monad

i don't know why people are saying India is the ugliest location, it looks pretty nice with the lights, dirt roads, smoke/flares and decorations. especially at night.

Neither did I.

Or maybe yes.

WjSmvZC.jpg

disconnected again, and I haven't even contributed to my team. :(

disconnected when I'm playing a tour event I guess. so the result can't be added to team.

Brooks2304

Neo Member
Once the servers are fully up and going I won't be surprised if I pick this up for the $49.99 digital PS+ price. Just patiently waiting for the free version so I can give it a try first. This would be my first racing game since GT5. Still count PGR 4 as one of my favorite racers.

DOWN

Banned
Once the servers are fully up and going I won't be surprised if I pick this up for the $49.99 digital PS+ price. Just patiently waiting for the free version so I can give it a try first. This would be my first racing game since GT5. Still count PGR 4 as one of my favorite racers.
PGR 4 was my kind of racer and I'm loving Driveclub. Can't wait till weather.

I appreciate open world racers, but an aesthetic kind takes the crown for me, and that's where PGR 4 and Driveclub rock their skills alongside arcade driving mastery.

benzy

Neither did I.

Or maybe yes.

WjSmvZC.jpg

It's a level-of-detail scaling issue. If you actually get close up to those trees, you can see a considerable amount of detail in the leaves/foliage, and the dithering, blurriness, and jaggies are no longer there. If you view the same trees far off at a distance the fine details will be lost. When you're actually playing it on TV it's not as noticeable as on a huge 1080p screenshot on your laptop or computer monitor.

Notice how detailed and clean those trees and foliage are, image quality is pretty good.
ibp9c66kwuKzMl.jpg

Here you can see that only the closer trees to you have that kind of fidelity. The trees in the distance lost quite a bit of detail and clarity.

ibyl6qBlwWGYpT.jpg

The LOD scaling mostly affects vegetation or objects that render small lines at a distance. It's not as noticeable for large objects like mountains, so tracks like Norway fair better in screengrabs.

Got connected today and checked out what the multiplayer has to offer:

crash480.gif

You can count yourself lucky if you survive the first few turns. Despite that - and sometimes because of it - it's good fun. What's really disappointing though is the lack of player interaction in the lobby. You have all these player created clubs and all you get to look at are those tiny club badges - no player/club profiles, no way to invite other players into your club or even look what club names people came up with, no player levels...just nothing. For a game that strives to be this social, connected club thing I find that quite perplexing.

Edit: Oh and my Club (Marx Brothers) is hiring at the moment. My PSN: demian__

So I love this game but once the online started working for me this afternoon it elevated the game to a whole 'nother level!

Got a club. Got members. Leveling up. Custom club liveries. It's awesom! I feel even more invested now. And EVERYTHING you do counts for you and your club. EVERYTHING.

Personally I give this game a 9.0 especially when the online works.

I wish it had a lil more "fluf" in the costumization department but nonetheless the game is amazeballs!!

Brooks2304

Neo Member
PGR 4 was my kind of racer and I'm loving Driveclub. Can't wait till weather.

I appreciate open world racers, but an aesthetic kind takes the crown for me, and that's where PGR 4 and Driveclub rock their skills alongside arcade driving mastery.

I absolutely loved racing online on PGR 4 with my buddies, some of the most fun I've had with gaming. I understand the appeal of open world, but I agree, aesthetics, especially for a racing game, is a big deal. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the dynamic weather that puts me over the edge lol

Codeblew

Aaaaahah. I just got disconnected 50ft from the finish line in multiplayer.

Edit - Wow, I got reconnected 1 minute after disconnecting. That is a first.

Bebpo

Banned
Tried for the first time in a couple days, server connects but ridiculously slow and can't do club anything yet or multiplayer :(

Will wait another couple of days. Great racing but want to get the full experience.

I've joined your club too, I hope you don't mind

Heh, I can't even get online to see if my club ever even got created (I literally got disconnected from the server 10 seconds after putting the name in). But it sounds like it exists, if nothing else, if a few of you were able to join it. Maybe some day I'll actually be able to get back on the servers and create a logo and everything.

Kilau

Awesome just went 9/9 on Legend Trophy and got disconnected on the 2nd to last lap of the final race.

When I connect again will my club get some of that 200,000 points? =\

AllenShrz

As much as I like the game, those connections problems are really getting in my nerves.

Cars are locked out because you need a club but I cant freaking join a club! Fuck that, fuck drifting challenges and fuck the bad music that is in the game.

So I know I said I was going to wait for the servers to get stabilized before jumping back in, but I had to at least check in to see if I could get online, right?

So, yeah, I've checked for the past two hours - with no luck - and hell, ran a bunch of events while I was at it, and I just unlocked my baby - that gorgeous Ferrari 458 - which was fate of course since I happened to spot one ambling by at lunch today.

Yep. Fate. That's what it was.

I should probably run a few time trials and break it in. You know, just to be sure everything checks out.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I love the music but it feels like at least every second race sports the "how fast are you gonna go" track.

addyb

I have to say I'm in love with this game. I dived on it at 12am yesterday for a few races and came away thinking ok I like it but it's not great. I spent 3 hours on it earlier which was indeed my first proper session and I really didn't want to turn it off.

It's the most fun I've had with a racer since PGR3 launched nearly 9 years ago and I do play a lot of racers.

I love the stripped down no frills menu screens. The loading times are great. Nice career progression. Time trials are like crack cocaine. Multi player is brilliant fun when it works and I think it's great that you can still contribute to your club even if you don't feel you're the greatest driver out there.

The handling for me is pretty much spot on. I think evolution have struck a great balance between sim and arcade. Oh and it looks stunning. Can't wait to get back on it later.

Oh and I just cannot fathom why it got so many average reviews. To me it feels like those who did score lower didn't play it as much as those with higher scores. I thought it was average after a few plays but I was well and truly converted after a proper session and I know plenty of others who were the same.

Anyway I'm waffling now. Great job evo. Now get the bloody online sorted :)

Nafai1123

Banned
Yeah! Happened to me too! Did 3 races with a bunch of stars and club went offline…

Lol.. Club went back online while I was typing this! :D

Make that three of us. I had just finished the British super car series and got a crapload of points :

On the bright side, when I reconnected we somehow went from lvl 7 to 9!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom