• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaDL50

So does this compare to iRacing?

I bought a PS3 for GT5 and was severely burnt. I'm liking the look of this but would like to compare it to something like iRacing to see if it would suit me

It's not a full on racing Sim like iRacing if that's what your asking. Driveclub is a Simcade experience similar to that of Project Gotham Racing 3 or 4.

However the game has minimal hand holding that some of the modern racers have, Turns are denoted by colored flags, Green (no breaking required), Yellow (Moderate breaking), or Red (Heavy Breaking)

There is no Driving line, the AI can be aggressive, and the racing environments are gorgeous.

The game has an excellent handling model and drives well. Every car has a unique feel on the track. Mastering a course with one car means driving with a more powerful car means you may need to relearn it all over again due to differences in breaking and acceleration differences.

All in all it's a solid closed circuit / point to point racing game.

ruttyboy

Can someone confirm for me whether I'm wasting my time racing offline, will the points I accrue contribute to my club when (if) I get connected?

Also Driveclub is missing the best racing view of all.

Bumper-cam, but at the height of a normal driver so it doesn't feel like a bobsled, and with speedo/tacho in the center of the screen.

Or did Polyphony patent that view?
I rock the current bumper view but more options is always a good thing!

Can someone confirm for me whether I'm wasting my time racing offline, will the points I accrue contribute to my club when (if) I get connected?

Don't contribute unless you are connected.

Fusebox

Banned
I rock the current bumper view but more options is always a good thing!

Nice one. I'm rocking bonnet/hood view for the first time in a driving game, I don't know whats going on with that whole 'look into the corner' dynamic camera stuff but I LOVE it. It makes sharp corners a joy and feels great when drifting too.

M.W.

I've still never connected to the servers. I've had the game since midnight Tuesday and nothing. Not even a second.

AxeMan

If you didn't like GT5 I could see you not liking this. This has a slightly better sense of speed, a waaaay better menu system and better graphics but nothing so wildly removed from GT5 that I can think of that might sway you.

It's not a full on racing Sim like iRacing if that's what your asking. Driveclub is a Simcade experience similar to that of Project Gotham Racing 3 or 4..........

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.
From what you've said it sounds like a more polished GT5.

Doesn't sound like it's worth the investment of a PS4 just to play it

Hackbert

holy mother of all thats good. Norway downhill is goosebumps material. damn... a shame the club cars are still locked, cause of the server downtimes

Jimrpg

Someone should tweet Rushy that being able to customize what HUD features we want visible would be greatly appreciated. It's hard to do HUDless at night when you can't see the map and don't have the map memorized.

Rushy, if you're reading this, you know what to do!

Tweeted! :) I said it was from neogaf :p hopefully he sees it!

SMZC

I haven't kept up with the news regarding the online issues, has there been any word on when we can finally expect the PS+ version?

OmegaDL50

I haven't kept up with the news regarding the online issues, has there been any word on when we can finally expect the PS+ version?

Evolution made a public statement recently that they are holding off on releasing the PS+ version until they can get the servers stable for online mode.

eso76

I also race with no HUD, but I want the lap time somewhere on the screen. Wish we could separate the various items and show only the ones we are interested in.

Hell, yes.
Games have been offering this for ages and it's especially important in DC because full HUD is obtrusive and tracks are often very hard to read for various reasons.

Also, an option to briefly display lap times (and objectives) only when you race past the line.
Options to have the hud display the important bits when needed and just go away when everything goes smoothly. It can't be that hard. I have to race with HUD opacity set to 0, but you sometimes feel like you're going in blind in regards to objectives and stuff the game wants to tell you.
Maybe use better audio clues to tell you when you've met or missed your objective etc.

Speaking of audio...Something that's also been offered for ages is the ability to adjust sound fx individually. Engine noise is too low compared to tires, for example.

It's stuff like this that makes DC feel ingenuous at times, which is strange considering Evolution are experienced developers.

(Also, it's just criminal that a game with such beautiful lighting and detailed car models won't let us appreciate any of that with photo mode or replay. Can't wait for those to be patched in)

Jimrpg

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.
From what you've said it sounds like a more polished GT5.

Doesn't sound like it's worth the investment of a PS4 just to play it

It's not like GT5 or iRacing at all. Those are sims.

Its closer to Need For Speed Hot Pursuit or Burnout but on tracks instead of open world than GT5.

Jimrpg

Hell, yes.
Games have been offering this for ages and it's especially important in DC because full HUD is obtrusive and tracks are often very hard to read for various reasons.

Also, an option to briefly display lap times (and objectives) only when you race past the line.
Options to have the hud display the important bits when needed and just go away when everything goes smoothly. It can't be that hard. I have to race with HUD opacity set to 0, but you sometimes feel like you're going in blind in regards to objectives and stuff the game wants to tell you.
Maybe use better audio clues to tell you when you've met or missed your objective etc.

Speaking of audio...Something that's also been offered for ages is the ability to adjust sound fx individually. Engine noise is too low compared to tires, for example.

It's stuff like this that makes DC feel ingenuous at times, which is strange considering Evolution are experienced developers.

(Also, it's just criminal that a game with such beautiful lighting and detailed car models won't let us appreciate any of that with photo mode or replay. Can't wait for those to be patched in)

Yep but I think maybe also when you get close to the line before passing it as well because I want to restart if I'm not going to meet the objective.

Right now I'm trying to do a championship of two races but I have to race the whole thing again if I don't make the time, so I've left the HUD on for now. But its so cool without the HUD, there are times when the game looks so damn life like, I just want to call my wife over and ask her to check it out. (I don't want to call her to come over every single time though :p)

Just did the Oliver's Landing hot lap in the Lotus Evora S.

Felt so fucking good. Just threw it into those corners at high speed, flooring it out of turns. So damn good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man I hate Drift challenges ! Why must every racer have some of those ? I blame Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift *shakefist*

At least you don't need to do all challenges in one race to get the stars. For one of the early time trails I just sat on the start line for a minute so the AI pissed off and I could get a clean run at the time target. I can imagine the same for drifting so you don't have others getting in the way.

Prototype

It's not like GT5 or iRacing at all. Those are sims.

Its closer to Need For Speed Hot Pursuit or Burnout but on tracks instead of open world than GT5.

It's nothing like need for speed or burnout. Those are pure arcade racers.

This is squarely a "simcade", closest thing would be test drive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Played a good few hours. It's been alright so far. Do have some complaints though.

- Penalties are sometimes far too harsh
- AI is at times too aggressive (I've been shoved off the track several times by another car)
- Some more customisation would have been nice
- I keep being beaten on straights by every other car. Dunno if its rubber banding, but it's very annoying.

A 75 seems fair to me having only played the single player.

I think they should ditch all corner penalties - the track limits are still there as a barrier, but I've been hit a couple of times just cutting the nose off a hairpin which seemed unfair. The off track penalties are ok I think, but tone down the obnoxious beeping and giant timer. Normally I'm back on track within the time anyway.

Collision penalties they need some way to stop you getting them if the AI hits you. That must be doable? If not then ditch them too.

I do wish they had rewind though, for those times the AI punts you into a rock and you flip/spin out and are basically screwed for the race.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yep but I think maybe also when you get close to the line before passing it as well because I want to restart if I'm not going to meet the objective.

Right now I'm trying to do a championship of two races but I have to race the whole thing again if I don't make the time, so I've left the HUD on for now. But its so cool without the HUD, there are times when the game looks so damn life like, I just want to call my wife over and ask her to check it out. (I don't want to call her to come over every single time though :p)

Just make it so you can restart a round even after the last race. You can do that after finishing earlier races in a championship, so just add it for the last one.

I tried playing Driveclub with T80 and I wasn't impressed by it. T300rs is expensive as fuck but force feedback is really important for me.

eso76

This is squarely a "simcade"

Yes, except without the sim part.
Really, there's nothing remotely resembling sim in Driveclub.

Unless you are talking about atmospherical simulation.
Well, in that case i'll be damned if Driveclub isn't the best cloud simulator software by a landslide.

Jimrpg

It's nothing like need for speed or burnout. Those are pure arcade racers.

This is squarely a "simcade", closest thing would be test drive.

Its close to PGR4, but even then the sense of speed is so much faster in Driveclub, the closest thing I can think of would the games I mentioned. In PGR4 when you drive a hatch, its like a car for your grandma, in Driveclub there's still a bit of a rush to it. In that respect that's why I said its like burnout. You can also drift quite a fair distance and with practice hold the drift. You can also counter steer without worrying too much about spinning out.

Also you have pretty aggressive AI that like to hit you from behind.

Its not anything like Ridge Racer or Outrun or Daytona though - those would be purely arcade.

I haven't played Test Drive so I can't compare to that.

I do wish they had rewind though, for those times the AI punts you into a rock and you flip/spin out and are basically screwed for the race.
in SP no not really, unless its the last lap.
next time just try: you will find after spinning out you can catch the pack again rather quickly.

Anarion07

Okay so in the past 10 minutes I did some drift sessions with the SLS AMG GTS and the game completely crashed twice.

Error CE-34878-0

anyone else?

EGOMON

Hey! You nearly reverse-stole my design there ;)

also: my other designs (incl. my NeoGAF coloured one :D)

Haha Black and Yellow is my favorite color combination i use it almost everywhere even my club name is Rolling Thunder.
BTW nice paint-jobs i like your style you gave me few ideas to update mine XD

Prototype

Well, in that case i'll be damned if Driveclub isn't the best cloud simulator software by a landslide.
It's sim insofar as the cars aren't flying around and doing full speed drifts around every corner. The cars all feel distinctly different. The drift mechanic takes some skill, it's not a one button affair like Mario kart or (to some extent) need for speed hot pursuit. (I love that game btw) Also, you actually have to brake, and management of that is important, whereas in many pure arcade racers braking is an after thought or simply not needed due to ultra grippy cars or the way drifting is implemented.

Driveclub's arcade aspects don't run *that* deep, but they are there, hence simcade, a sort of middle ground between full arcade racers and simulation racers.

Its close to PGR4, but even then the sense of speed is so much faster in Driveclub, the closest thing I can think of would the games I mentioned. In PGR4 when you drive a hatch, its like a car for your grandma, in Driveclub there's still a bit of a rush to it. In that respect that's why I said its like burnout. You can also drift quite a fair distance and with practice hold the drift. You can also counter steer without worrying too much about spinning out.

Also you have pretty aggressive AI that like to hit you from behind.

Its not anything like Ridge Racer or Outrun or Daytona though - those would be purely arcade.

I haven't played Test Drive so I can't compare to that.
Sense of speed is great in drive club, but an excellent sense of speed alone isn't enough to make it arcade. Gran Tourismo 6 has excellent sense of speed in the faster cars, or the F1 cars, but that's clearly a sim.

Agreed on outrun and Ridge racer, both are pure arcade racers.

Test drive unlimited and Test Drive Unlimited 2 are both the closest from the racers that I've played to what driveclub is actually like. Edit. And I haven't played pgr.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I sadly cant share them if thats what you mean by 'individual to me'. But theoretically you could replicate them if you've unlocked thos designs.

You can have 4 custom/personal liveries and one club livery, which is designed by the club leader.

Thanks. Can you transfer club leadership? I created our club yesterday because I was the only one that could get online. But I'm not good at designing stuff.

Haha Black and Yellow is my favorite color combination i use it almost everywhere even my club name is Rolling Thunder.
BTW nice paint-jobs i like your style you gave me few ideas to update mine XD
Thanks :) and yeah, Black/Yellow is a really nice combo. NeoGAFs orange and
matte-
dark grey are also really good looking imo.

p3tran

Banned

level 28 here, I have to agree with you 100%

there is NOTHING "sim" in driveclub.
even the fundamentals, the most basic stuff of driving are heavily assisted (=not realistic)

Thanks. Can you transfer club leadership? I created our club yesterday because I was the only one that could get online. But I'm not good at designing stuff.
I'm afraid you cant transfer leadership, but I think Rushy said they're looking into changing that. If you're not good at designing you could just have someone who's good at it send you a share-snap of a livery via a PS Message to replicate (thats how my club is probably going to do it).

jobrro

Enjoying the game in single player but thought the online issues would be better by now.

Managed to join a club earlier today and level it to level 3, but then I had to do something else and when I came back to playing couldn't reconnect.

Before I joined a club I didn't really mind being offline, but now I find myself holding off doing events as it won't contribute to the club.

It would probably be a bit easier to deal with being offline if the tips on the loading screens didn't constantly remind you of the benefits of being online :p.

EGOMON

Are the custom paint jobs individual to you? And can you have those with your club livery?

You have 4 preset paint jobs you can custom those from your garage change their style and colors just like the club paint-job slot so in total you 5 paint-jobs you can customize to your liking and you can use them for all your cars

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Enjoying the game in single player but thought the online issues would be better by now.

Managed to join a club earlier today and level it to level 3, but then I had to do something else and when I came back to playing couldn't reconnect.

Before I joined a club I didn't really mind being offline, but now I find myself holding off doing events as it won't contribute to the club.

It would probably be a bit easier to deal with being offline if the tips on the loading screens didn't constantly remind you of the benefits of being online :p.

I thought Rushy said when you reconnect it will contribute to your club? That's a real downer if not.

Did anyone get 3 months of Plus free with the game? If so, where'd you get it? For instance, on Best Buy's site, the cover shows that you get 3 free months with it. I don't know if that's true or was just a placeholder or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom