• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickfut

Banned
2517729-5256345561-iX1w8_9388.gif

I played that entire game in 3d on a 110" projector. It was amazing!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Played a couple hours more of tour mode today. Finished up the rookie level stuff, other than having five more stars to earn. Some of the time trials are pretty tough.

I'm really loving the game so far. Shame the servers are so jacked, but I mostly play single player in racers anyway.

meppi

I think it will be like PGR3. Pretty well regarded "release" period game but nothing phenomenal.

It is bloody fun though.

Well PGR3/4 are my favourite 2 "realistic" racing games from last gen, so Driveclub doesn't have to be phenomenal at all in my case. Just live up to PGR 3 or 4.

I'm really loving the game so far. Shame the servers are so jacked, but I mostly play single player in racers anyway.
Same, but I do really love asynchronous challenges. AutoLog and Rivals modes have been the best thing to happen to racing games in a long while.

And while you couldn't pay me to jump online to race randoms, the Team vs. Team could be interesting, even though the idea of a full team of six racing another full team of six seems like it'd be a rare occurrence.

viveks86

The Audi R8 drives like a dream!

Race #2 of the semi-pro trophy is kicking my ass.1:26 lap time is so difficult. Had to take a break and try again later! :'(

The Audi R8 drives like a dream!

Race #2 of the semi-pro trophy is kicking my ass.1:26 lap time is so difficult. Had to take a break and try again later! :'(
Yeah, I didn't get that either and I know that track pretty damn well. Its easy enough on a time trial, but when the field is littered with a full grid of the same make and model, its damn tough to get out ahead of the pack early enough to beat that time.

As usual, the better you know the car and the track the more it becomes about bypassing the AI as obstacles. And these roads are thin.

viveks86

Yeah, I didn't get that either and I know that track pretty damn well. Its easy enough on a time trial, but when the field is littered with a full grid of the same make and model, its damn tough to get out ahead of the pack early enough to beat that time.

As usual, the better you know the car and the track the more it becomes about bypassing the AI as obstacles. And these roads are thin.

Exactly. There are 2 sections where I'm pretty sure I'm losing a few seconds because of being too conservative. Need to master it in time trial first, I guess.

I've seen it posted here a few times that some people use the ds4 motion control to steer. Just for goof I just tried it earlier and GOT DAM! Once you get used to it, it works surprisingly well. Ten to oversteer but you can adjust for it. Can't wait for my wheel now!

garyBig

Does anyone else think Driveclub could become a classic regardless of what the 'professional' press say?

Well I for one have never in my life enjoyed pure racing so effing much or even thought it possible. I mean I even leave the music muted and every single drive is just INTENSE (my former self would have dismissed the very notion as 'boring'). Also it's so damn beautiful.
I'm smitten. (It does have a huge heart, after all)

And when the server crisis is over it will be fresh as a newborn all over again. Ditto for Weather. Ditto for those DLC tracks. Ditto for every little update they're gonna bless us with over the next quarter. I'm ready for a long ride with this one.

GodofWine

I gave the bottom of the DRIVECLUB-GAF friends list some love today, figure you Zs and Ys lose out on invites since there are 500 names before yous :-D

Game is such a blast, can't wait to get the friends leadet board up so i can be shocked at how slow i am lol

viveks86

Wait, same make and model? Are you talking about the R8 series or the semi-pro trophy? I managed to get through the R8 series without issues. The semi-pro trophy however...

-Amon-

Guys, give motion controls a go.

Really, if you dont'have a wheel and drive cockpit view, setup a time attack on a circuit, so that you can practice without pauses, and try motion controls.

Some advice:

Understand at what angle of rotation of the pad you achieve maximum steering angle. Use wheel animation as reference. It's easy not to use it all if you don't check this way.

Keep the gamepad in the position you want it to stay at zero steering angle when the race is starting. It looks like the game calibrates the pad position during race start.

Input lag is quite nonexistent. You became much more precise in long corners, and you can catch oversteer much more easily.

Try motion control, seriously.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I'm just seeing incredible responses to the game all over the internet (more so on Gaf). It's has if this game has an evil twin that visited reviewers.

You would not believe how many people have purchased Driveclub just from my game play videos of the Ferrari 458 At least 10 people that I know of :)

I will continue to share my videos if it means to get more people buying it. Because I want this to be a successful IP for sony and I would be devastated if Evolution gets shut down because half of the reviews out there failed to give the game a chance.

how can anyone say this game is soulless?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9W6rQ0c8g

farmerboy

Please people, tell me you have at least tried the motion steering. I'm going crazy at the idea that so many of you just dismiss it without trying.

You know my 5 yo daughter saw me playing and wanted to have a shot. Playing with the controller she doesn't have the motor skills to control it with the sticks.

But then I remembered the motion control. Honestly it works really well and my daughter had a blast, she picked it up straight away. She was making it around about a 3rd of the corners which I thought was pretty impressive.

Gonna spend some time with it again myself to see if its a full on viable alternative for me. But it legit works.

Okay. Thanks.

I got to a point where the game's getting a bit too difficult for me and don't know if I want to keep it. I didn't love it from the get-go, as I'm more into arcade racers and I've found some issues with this one otherwise.

I'm just debating as to whether I should keep it in case there's game changing DLC, but it doesn't seem like there will be outside of the weather.

farmerboy

Also, does anyone else think that the extra work on the menus etc, was time well spent?

The immediacy of the menus and short load times have contributed greatly to my enjoyment, its just so easy to say "one more go".

Pity I haven't been able to spend a great amount of time on it.

Loudninja

To sum of some of the stuff they working on or fixing.

1.Changes to the penalty system *collision penalty issues*
2.Custom lobbies
3.Sound Mode for headset
4.Replay mode
5.Photomode
6.New HUD options
7.Throttle and brake on right stick *in discussion*
8.Weather *Rain, snow, thunder and lightning *
9.Some cars not working offline
10.Slight Freeze at the end of a race
11.pre-order cars issues

And when the server crisis is over it will be fresh as a newborn all over again. Ditto for Weather. Ditto for those DLC tracks. Ditto for every little update they're gonna bless us with over the next quarter. I'm ready for a long ride with this one.
ibjDPNY12IhH7T.gif

All told, we still have photo mode, replays, thunderstorms and rain and snow, 47 more cars, a new location with 11 tracks and 176 new events, and that's what we know of. Seems like once they get their head above the water here they're even amenable to tweaks and changes from watching how the community plays.

Wait, same make and model? Are you talking about the R8 series or the semi-pro trophy? I managed to get through the R8 series without issues. The semi-pro trophy however...
Yeah, I was talking about the R8 series. I know those India tracks like a know the back of my hand - actually better considering how little I look at the back of my hands - and the rub for me was in getting past the rest of the grid without going all hulk smash on em. So am only missing that final star in that event.

Still doing time trials and getting used to the FF and layouts for the semi-pro event. Can't stop lapping the Kinloch through the day/night cycle.

Shaneus

Exactly. There are 2 sections where I'm pretty sure I'm losing a few seconds because of being too conservative. Need to master it in time trial first, I guess.
I fucking love finding those corners where you realise all of a sudden, if you take the right line to within a few inches, you can keep the throttle down just a little bit harder/longer. It's that one-more-time addictiveness which echoes that of the great one-shot apps on iOS like Flappy Bird and shit.

Yes, I just compared Driveclub to Flappy Bird :/

MJLord

I fucking love finding those corners where you realise all of a sudden, if you take the right line to within a few inches, you can keep the throttle down just a little bit harder/longer. It's that one-more-time addictiveness which echoes that of the great one-shot apps on iOS like Flappy Bird and shit.

Yes, I just compared Driveclub to Flappy Bird :/

You bastard :O

I share the feeling though. I found a corner in Chile where just letting off the throttle for a second means you can slam on the gas and just power out into the straight and knocked 8/10th of a second off my sector time.

F-Pina

Sometimes things work.
When it works online it is awesome.
That being said, I created my club called "Nerd Monkeys" :) 4 spaces available :D

I think the game definitely, in time trial at least, punishes you for being too conservative. A lot of the time, I find I can absolutely power on through a lot of corners that I think I'd need to slow down on and, even then, if I am slowing down, I can get more points by handbrake turning into a drift. It's quite exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom