• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I'm doing a time trial, If I dont make the first 5 or 6 corners flawlessly I restart.
I don't know about perfecting, but I just race and restart afterwards, again and again, until I get a feel for it. No minimap means I look to memorize the tracks - first in major sections, then turn by turn so that I always know the next two turns in advance to help me set up an angle. It also helps to have all the markers in your head for when the road is filled with a ton of other cars and you can't see the gradient slope of the curves ahead, or when the sun goes down mid-race.

The reason this game has its hooks sunk into me is that this repetition never dulls the racing - in fact its the opposite. The more I internalize the layout of the tracks, the more I can focus on what I need to and the more my subconscious fills in the blanks and the more you can just get into the zone. And what a beautiful zone for the sights and sounds.

Loudninja

For the new page.

To sum of some of the stuff they working on or fixing.

1.Changes to the penalty system *collision penalty issues*
2.Custom lobbies
3.Sound Mode for headset
4.Replay mode
5.Photomode
6.New HUD options
7.Throttle and brake on right stick *in discussion*
8.Weather *Rain, snow, thunder and lightning *
9.Some cars not working offline
10.Slight Freeze at the end of a race
11.pre-order cars issues

Thank god for the no load times when restarting.
And even if you decide to continue to the menus rather than go for an instant restart (say to change cars or event settings) you're still looking at a whopping three whole seconds before you're back at the menu to make those changes.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Bzx3dvkCIAA4MvA.jpg

I didn't know DC had motion controls.

I don't like having to hold my hands up in the air though. Maybe I'll just tape my DS4 to my unsupported DFGT wheel.

And even if you decide to continue to the menus rather than go for an instant restart (say to change cars or event settings) you're still looking at a whopping three whole seconds before you're back at the menu to make those changes.
They really knocked it out of the park with the load times for sure.

And I completely agree with your previous post.

garyBig

All told, we still have photo mode, replays, thunderstorms and rain and snow, 47 more cars, a new location with 11 tracks and 176 new events, and that's what we know of. Seems like once they get their head above the water here they're even amenable to tweaks and changes from watching how the community plays.

Yeah, they seem to be very open to suggestions and listening to what the community wants. I love the golden age of patching and Twitter-approachability.

Stillmatic

A lot of racing games do the sun in your eyes effect, but this is the first racing game I remember it being genuinely blinding. Maybe I'm just misremembering...But racing with the HUD off and not knowing the track too well with the sun in you eyes is pretty terrifying.

viveks86

I didn't know DC had motion controls.

I don't like having to hold my hands up in the air though. Maybe I'll just tape my DS4 to my unsupported DFGT wheel.

Good idea. Reusing scrap is always good for the eco system.

But racing with the HUD off and not knowing the track too well with the sun in you eyes is pretty terrifying.

Just like racing in the dark. Sometimes you really are driving blind!

barit

Damn I can't stress enough out how important a good TV calibration is necessary for this game. Shit looks gorgeous now. Canada is just insane in the evening

Shaneus

That's ok. We already had someone in here compare it with angry birds. May be there is some truth to it! ;)
I wouldn't compare it as much with that though, because there's more of a trial and error thing with AB.

Side note: Just thinking about it now, the one thing DC is missing is the Kudos ticks from PGR. I'd love some feedback on when I earn points. For that matter, I'd like for them to have more chances to earn fame points. Taking a corner well, two-wheels, airtime, that sort of thing. Thought there'd be more of that in DC, but it appears there isn't.

You bastard :O

I share the feeling though. I found a corner in Chile where just letting off the throttle for a second means you can slam on the gas and just power out into the straight and knocked 8/10th of a second off my sector time.
Yeah, that's the other thing. It's not just finding where you can throttle-down a little more, it's also learning if you take a corner a little easier, THEN you can throttle-down earlier and see your ghost in the rear-view. It's so goddamned satisfying when that happens in this... such a "holy shit" moment that happens just enough.

I think the game definitely, in time trial at least, punishes you for being too conservative. A lot of the time, I find I can absolutely power on through a lot of corners that I think I'd need to slow down on and, even then, if I am slowing down, I can get more points by handbrake turning into a drift. It's quite exciting.

Sometimes I have to remind myself I'm not playing Gran Turismo or Forza and I can be more aggressive.

Auctopus

Goddamn at the Hennessy Hot Lap. I just spent enough time to rack up 30k accolades trying to get that 1:16 time. Got it down to about 1:16.340 and called it a night.

Did some of the best driving I've done in the game though and it feels good to feel yourself getting better. Hit level 30 because of it too :)

Shaneus

Anyone else get pissed off at the catch-up AI, their love of crashes and how perfect you need to be?
Pushes me to become better. Can't say I'm not a fan!

I'm just glad they're AI who don't feel like one-trick ponies that stick to the racing line and that's it.

Anyone else get pissed off at the catch-up AI, their love of crashes and how perfect you need to be?
The only thing that disappoints me is when its obvious that the cars ahead have slowed down just for you.

Its like a patronizing pat on the head before the race begins again in earnest.

Needs more fakery and dev sleight of hand I think. Have some more jostling for position which causes cars to slam and go off-road to slow em down. This happens mind you, and its better than seeing the whole grid ahead slow like a line of roller-coaster-cars pulling in to a stop at the end of the ride.

Goddamn at the Hennessy Hot Lap. I just spent enough time to rack up 30k accolades trying to get that 1:16 time. Got it down to about 1:16.340 and called it a night.

Did some of the best driving I've done in the game but it feels good to feel yourself getting better. Hit level 30 because of it too :)

The only difficult star in the career IMO.

derExperte

Yes, it can get annoying. But if you stop giving a fuck about playing fair you can block and ram them away without penalty often enough and for the difficult races you'll eventually unlock a car that will crush them.

Took the ps4 into the living room to play it on the 50" plasma and I couldn't do it. It felt really off.
Hmm? I play on a 60" Bravia some six feet away. Looks fucking spectacular.

Sometimes I have to remind myself I'm not playing Gran Turismo or Forza and I can be more aggressive.
This game reminds me more of Shift than anything else, but with a better handling model and much nicer tracks than any other racer I can think of. Though I still have warm and fuzzy soft spots for Forza 5's Mount Panorama and Long Beach and the Nurburgring.

JP

I had no idea this had an option for motion controls, just been watching some videos of people playing that way it seems surprisingly smooth and accurate. Are many people on here using motion controls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom