• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
damage is cosmetic, and rarely does contact with the AI jeopardize your race, so don't go out of your way to avoid it
Yep. For normal love taps from aggressive moves you won't even get a points penalty. The only time I've been penalized is when I completely misjudge a turn and end up slamming into the car ahead when it brakes.

bombshell

My game was online most of the night.

But seriously you don't want it connected. I was completing time trials minding my own but when I ended the event instead of my fastest lap being the target it was some douche with a douchey avatar who was like 2/10ths of a second faster! So I had to go back to beat him/her as they were the target. Took a few more laps best their time, but when I went to quit it was some other person with a target like 5/10ths of a second faster!!

Are you playing with no HUD? Because they actually automatically load in a ghost of a slightly faster player to beat each lap, not just when you go to quit. That is if the online was working...

Greg

Now I agree with this. If they're going to knock me around...I'm going to give it back, lol.
I think that's the problem in most cases - the scoring system gives the wrong impression by taking away points for collisions (even though the points are miniscule), so people think it's a bad thing and think the AI is cheap for contact

the only time clean racing is necessary in this game is during time trials or when you're by yourself in the lead

Nyx

The more I play this game, the more I'm falling in love with it. The driving mechanics are just so good at riding the line of realism without being unforgiving. Almost every car I've unlocked feels unique and special in it's own way. Almost every track is inspired and incredibly fun/challenging. Even the hyper car events, while challenging, are not unfair and feel incredibly rewarding when you finally nail that perfect lap/drift/race.

Once all the online challenges and leaderboards are up, it's only going to get better.

Additionally, to those that say this game has "rubberbanding" I can assure you that is not the case. Yes the AI may drive better/more aggressively if you are doing well, but I've finished some races on courses I know extremely well over 6-7 seconds in front of the second place car. They will not exceed the limits of the actual cars themselves, they will just improve based on your level of driving prowess (adaptive AI).

One of the developers tweeted that there is 'rubberbanding' but only if you fall far behind. The AI will slow down a bit then.

SHarris78

If I didn't knot better I'd swear the Audi Showdown in the amateur cup was broken.

One of the requirements is to beat a drift face off of 750 points. I get half that at best, and the annoying bit it the corners don't come until around 88% of the race is done, so each time I have to go through the same race to get to it. Boring me to tears.

GobFather

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet but I remember that '50 Things about Driveclub' mentioning this: Northern Lights. (Promptly spinning out at the next corner with the goddamn Atom)

jbb42z099hlXO3.jpg
That looks so pretty. I will surely get distracted lol

shandy706

What should the AI do to please you ? Move over ? Stop to make you pass ?

Until you're side by side you have to expect the ai to choose the line regardless of your position.

Are people just ignoring the last 3 gifs?

Heck, if you have them disabled, just tap the last one. You can't get anymore side-by side than that. If one is free to bang about as they please in every race, no penalty...then it's fine. I was responding to the guy that originally said it was the best AI he'd seen in a racing game.

i just got this game last night. I've only played it offline, but its a ton of fun. I think a lot of people don't like it or dismiss the AI because they aren't interested in racing. Its not like any racing game I've played in terms of intensity. When you're driving, the feel of the game is super fast. You're barreling along, barely in control. At first, you won't know how to handle the car and crash, immediately. Once you figure out the entry speed, where to brake, and when to apply power, you'll be flying. The AI is pretty ruthless, they race hard and won't allow you to just win like in Mario Kart. To anyone who has a PS4 and likes racing games, get it, its awesome. Also, its super easy to get the Maserati to powerslide. Enter a turn with no power, reach the apex and apply full power. You'll be powersliding all over the place. One word of caution: the music isn't that great. It's no GT3, that's for sure. The car noises are amazing, though. Also, NO SPLIT SCREEN! I don't know why, but they decided 1 person per PS4 is enough. I'm sorry, but there should be at the very least 2p split screen. Those are pretty much the only flaws. If you can get over no split screen, and you have an alternative music source, you're all set.

Greg

If I didn't knot better I'd swear the Audi Showdown in the amateur cup was broken.

One of the requirements is to beat a drift face off of 750 points. I get half that at best, and the annoying bit it the corners don't come until around 88% of the race is done, so each time I have to go through the same race to get to it. Boring me to tears.
I don't remember any drift challenges outside of the actual drift events?

boon

I just watched the GT review, and I was reminded at how pivotal the online functions are to this game. I had a couple of "ohhhh, cool!" moments when they were showing notifications and Challenges streaming in. I was fun to see it all working. Hype rising again? I am loving this game, but the current, continuing situation has soured my experience a bit.

SHarris78

I don't remember any drift challenges outside of the actual drift events?

Yeah there's a few optional ones during races.

I genuinely think I would enjoy the game more if it was time trials only. No other cars with dodgy ai, no drifting, just booking it down empty open roads.

Fonds

Yeah there's a few optional ones during races.

I genuinely think I would enjoy the game more if it was time trials only. No other cars with dodgy ai, no drifting, just booking it down empty open roads.

I myself enjoy the time trials most as well... Last night I spent 2 hours perfecting laps around the Canada #1 circuit in a Ferrari FF.
But then again, getting the results you're looking for in a race or drift challenge can be immensely satisfying as well.

Progmetal

I got 3 stars in Olivers Landing where you got to drive a hot lap in 1.17 or better. My time was 1.17.000.

Can't get more lucky than that. lol

I missed Rushy is no longer allowed to give updates.

Sony's handling of DriveClub's has been horrid for the past twelve months. That's impressive.

ShapeGSX

What should the AI do to please you ? Move over ? Stop to make you pass ?

Until you're side by side you have to expect the ai to choose the line regardless of your position.

That is not how humans drive or race, unless they're jerks.

Humans have self preservation and finishing the race to think about. That AI doesn't appear to be "thinking" about either.

Gestault

I doubt they have any issue with him doing that stuff, it just becomes one when websites take Twitter as news.

I'd say public statements from the developer behind a game, presenting himself as such and reporting on the status of the game is a reasonable source of information for outside reporting.

CozMick

Banned
That is not how humans drive or race, unless they're jerks.

Humans have self preservation and finishing the race to think about. That AI doesn't appear to be "thinking" about either.

Every player that has ever graced the online multiplayer racing world has driven like that many a time, real life not so much.

I'd say public statements from the developer behind a game, presenting himself as such and reporting on the status of the game is a reasonable source of information for outside reporting.

It's still Twitter and it's why Kamiya ripped on the media for taking Twitter as news.

Pryor

Pick a driving game at random.
Open youtube.
Enter said driving game and AI into search.
Enjoy.

Every racing game faces these same issues. There are no exceptions. You can pull a youtube of any driving game and have examples from other games that match those of Driveclub. Does it suck? Of course it does but no game is innocent of this crime...

lpchrys

Banned
This game sounds like its garbage, why are people shelling out $60 for it? The online is broken, the ai apparently has issues, and its lack of cars is ridiculous. There are much better racers on the market.

Upinsmoke

As many have said so funny to see people complaining about the racing line when the AI is driving correctly and the human player is all over the place thinking he can do what he likes and the AI will just sit idly by.

That's also a shame about Rushy not being allowed to update anymore, the news sites in question should remove the article and issue an apology for basing it on tweets.

That isn't what happens though with the AI. Earlier this morning I spent three hours on Kinloch trying to make zero mistake, that included no contact with any other cars. Straight from the start one Bentley Continental plows into the back of me. Nine times out of ten that happens. Then another rams into my side halfway round, then down the final straight more cut in front of you. Pretty impossible anyway for you to have a clean race.

Auctopus

Nooooo.

Strange though, cause one of my friends is playing DC without problems while another is online with BF4. Both don't show as being online for me though...

Oh well, this is not DC related then.

Sometimes it's staggered. Also, isn't there a rule that if you've been logged in in the last 48 hours then you're allowed to connect?

This game sounds like its garbage, why are people shelling out $60 for it? The online is broken, the ai apparently has issues, and its lack of cars is ridiculous. There are much better racers on the market.

Thanks for stopping by.

ColEx

How could people know that the game was going to have these kinds of issues? The game might not be for everyone's liking, but its core gameplay is pretty fun.

Nafai1123

Banned

Either you haven't read this thread, or you're selectively picking posts to build a narrative. Many people (myself included) are loving the game.

CozMick

Banned

First of all, the sound is amazing.

The AI is aggressive but fine, lack of cars? 50 is enough......for now.

And that last part is subjective, I truly believe its the best racing game on the market at the moment.

Oh and I paid £35, which is £20 cheaper than the usual retail price.

Nyx

Sometimes it's staggered. Also, isn't there a rule that if you've been logged in in the last 48 hours then you're allowed to connect?

I was online yesterday so that rule doesn't seem to work for me.

Oh well, no DriveCrack fix for me then today.

I got my first online races today! First time since day 1!

It was a bit mixed experience, because if you lose some positions you'll end up having some carmageddon styled driving competition and when you are driving with the leading cars you'll get some nice racing. It was nice!

schaft0620

If you're riding side by side, and the guy is inside you...you don't try to drive through him to hit the apex. Same with passing on the outside, you shouldn't get run off the road due to the AI drive-line shifting outside.

xlrory.gif
Might could have tapped the brake here, look at all the cars though, they even weave on the same drive line.

eheaba.gif
AI cars sticking to drive line through curve, AI pushes the player into the wall despite plenty of room and him being 3/4 of a car inside him.

pppbfr.gif
You can see the car is aiming for the Apex Here...ignores the player who tries to dodge.

ozszpt.gif
Off the start line AI ignores him, you also see the AI ahead just pushing each other right off the road.

While there are some instances where this is what should be done, what about when you're just riding along side by side, and it completely ignores you?

This doesn't get any clearer that the player doesn't matter to the AI....twice.

zfoftk.gif

Love your breakdown of this, every car game I have played does this.

EGOMON

Might as well mention the other racer you are marketing here.
I swear there is something about DC and juniors since last year they just keep coming.

Vol5

If you're riding side by side, and the guy is inside you...you don't try to drive through him to hit the apex. Same with passing on the outside, you shouldn't get run off the road due to the AI drive-line shifting outside.

xlrory.gif
Might could have tapped the brake here, look at all the cars though, they even weave on the same drive line.

eheaba.gif
AI cars sticking to drive line through curve, AI pushes the player into the wall despite plenty of room and him being 3/4 of a car inside him.

pppbfr.gif
You can see the car is aiming for the Apex Here...ignores the player who tries to dodge.

ozszpt.gif
Off the start line AI ignores him, you also see the AI ahead just pushing each other right off the road.

While there are some instances where this is what should be done, what about when you're just riding along side by side, and it completely ignores you?

This doesn't get any clearer that the player doesn't matter to the AI....twice.

zfoftk.gif

Your trying way too hard. If you look closely in a couple of those vids the player actually brakes way before he's meant to meaning the AI has taken the advantage. It's also a full contact semi-sim racer so wind your expectations down about AI being some perfect world scenario. The AI is actually pretty great and scales really well depending on difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom