• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mullah88

Using the KERS and DRS system in the P1 is a bit confusing when driving from the cockpit view. The green button doesn't light up at least from a chase cam you see the wings go down and it lights up on the speedometer

bombshell

I have an active club at level 5 and I'm not connected right now. If I do some tour events offline, the fame I earn will go to the club when I reconnect? Is this confirmed?

Yes. When I connected earlier today the game gave me a progress update where my club was taken from level 3 to level 5. And I know my second club member has not contributed yet, so it must have been offline xp from me getting synced.

how is the season pass likely to work? This game demands new courses to drive on, but you get the tracks for free. Sounds like the 'tours' are paid for DLC.

So does that mean you can probably only time trial/single race the free tracks unless you have the paid DLC?

Yeah, that's how it will be. Free tracks can be raced in single event, time trials and MP. The tour packs in the season pass will then contain events for the free tracks (and existing tracks).

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I preordered the digital edition. Still no online connection, still no pre-order cars, and the game shows as not purchased on the dash and is is asking for 49.99.

Are all three of those issues related to the servers, or just the first and second?

I wish I could just get on once to join the club, as I got the invite. Then I can play SP and contribute it to the club when the servers come up.

garyBig

Is there a way to choose between matte and glossy when designing a Club design? Always comes out matte.

of course, you can switch between matte, matte metallic, normal glossy and metallic.

Oh shit, square button, now I've found it. Thanks anyway. Some little things seem quite hidden here.

Damn, you can even choose for each individual decal colour. That's actually awesome.

psn

Is there a way to choose between matte and glossy when designing a Club design? Always comes out matte.

of course, you can switch between matte, matte metallic, normal glossy and metallic.

It's a pity that it won't save your club level in single player, at least the rank when the game was online the last time because I want to drive some of the club cars so bad!

Can someone update me with what's going on with the servers? I literally haven't been able to connect at anytime. It's very frustrating. Are people asking for refunds?

OmegaDL50

I wish there was a free drive mode.

I'm not talking about time trials.

For example a track such as Chille Taapaca in Time Trial actually ends despite the minimap showing the road going beyond further then the stopping point. In fact the minimap looks like it winds and twists back to the starting position despite this particular track not being a lap based circuit.

What I would like to do is just pick a track and drive without any pressure, timer, AI, laps, etc. Basically a free drive on any track I want and I can end the session whenever by just going to the menu and choosing the "Finish event" option.

EGOMON

Woah! I had to go the second page to find this thread the hype is dying confirmed.
Anyway did anyone who couldn't connect since day 1 been able to connect after the fixes?
I can't for the life of me get connected just to see the clubs or leaderboards let alone play online

CozMick

Banned
iBJHhvRs1PRfo.jpg

Man, I love the weather system in this game, rain and snow is gonna blow minds.

Nyx

Woah! I had to go the second page to find this thread the hype is dying confirmed.
Anyway did anyone who couldn't connect since day 1 been able to connect after the fixes?
I can't for the life of me get connected just to see the clubs or leaderboards let alone play online

I've played 2 online races yesterday.
Connection goes on and off since last Wednesday.

JamboGT

Using the KERS and DRS system in the P1 is a bit confusing when driving from the cockpit view. The green button doesn't light up at least from a chase cam you see the wings go down and it lights up on the speedometer

It shows on the Dash to the left of the revcounter is DRS to the right the KERS meter

snacknuts

we all knew her
Am I supposed to be annoyed with the developer or Sony for the online issues? I would assume the latter, as Sony is the one getting my money for online play and they manage PSN.

Almost finished the game. I'm waiting for people to be able to join the club and get to level 15 for the BAC Mono to get that British lightweight challenge. Not caring for redoing other races until challenges get re-enabled. Currently done with it.

Weird ain't it :D

Server complaints will keep her afloat though.

So it was foggier than a snoop dog carpool this morning, is there ridiculous fog in drive club?

Number45

I think I might wait it out on this until my birthday. Snuck the T300 RS on my wish list, you never know! ^_^

I already have the game and have done the first tour area, but with the issues and the possibility of getting a wheel I don't want to get too much done just yet!

Anyone know which Wheel Stand Pro stand is compatible with the T300 RS?

m@cross

I am starting to wonder if this at least partially relates to the fact that PSN runs like absolute garbage with a large friends list.

From patch notes for DriveClub
-Fixes out of memory crashed due to multiple large avatars on the friends’ list.

Even after bringing my friends list down to sub 100, it still times out and causes the UI to become unresponsive. Perhaps they are relying on this mechanic as part of the game code and the same thing affecting individual users timing out and crashing due to a large friends list is doing it to the servers when they try to do it for thousands of users.

Thinking they may need to redo the whole mechanic if the game ties into the persons entire friends list for the on-the-fly content.

Gestault

Finally decided to watch this video, and I'm calling BS in terms of it debunking complaints about AI

It shows how AI behaves when the player is sitting still or doing donuts. Most people do t play DC like that.....

I waited and waited for the guy to present a scenario that actually represents the actual gameplay experience of the game, but there was none.

When I'm driving at 100 mph and I can feel that the AI is turning into my car, on a straight. This video means nothing. When that AI continues to steer into my car for long and hard enough that my car spins out, this video means nothing.

When the AI decides that it's going to dive bomb and take the racing line right through a corner if I take a wide entry instead of taking the inside line through the corner so we can both make it, this video means nothing.

Heres a video of some actual racing against the AI. I simply typed in "Driveclub race" in YouTube and picked the first vid.

http://youtu.be/9T6XdupzcnQ

Guy is obviously new and makes some mistakes but....

First thing that happens in the race? Player gets alongside AI, it instead of it acknowledging his existence, it decides that it will be taking the racing line, even if that line is through the players cockpit. Forcing him off road.

At the first corner, the player funny enough gets some snap oversteer on entry which luckily means he doesn't get plowed by the yellow AI sweeping across the front of his car.

On the exit of that same corner, Another AI car almost pit manoeuvres him off the track before it can even think about simply taking another line to avoid contact.

At 1:38 the player does well to avoid contact going into the fast right-left hander,as the AI slams the door shut as it has the right to, but when the player gets a run on exit, the AI car again decides that it wants to deviate onto the racing line, even while the players car is sitting on it. In racing, the driver in front is owed the racing line, but not if that line is occupied by another car.

Another point of note is at 3:16, where the AI I front pulls away and takes the racing line, and another AI also going faster and looking to get ahead, just powers through the front of the players car and on to the line instead of racing him side by side.

At 3:41 the AI makes contact with the back of his car sticking to the line instead of just a small adjustment.

At 3:54 the AI swings in wildly toward the apex of the corner despite being side by side going in. The player knows the AI has no idea he's there and takes to the grass which allows him to survive. On exiting that corner the AI against slams the door shut despite a good enough portion of the players car being side by side.

At 4:00, despite the player not allowing the AI to slam him into the wall at the exit of the last corner and now being in front for the next corner, the AI again sticks rigidly to its driving line, regardless of the fact that it means he's effectively trying to pit manoeuvre the players car as he tries to navigate the corner.

People complain about the AIs lack of awareness and it's willingness to stick to the line WHILE RACING and it took no effort to find video evidence of exactly that. There's close, hard racing, them there's just having almost no regard for the fact that the player is there.

It's okay to post up a video showing that the AI has good enough routing intelligence that it can drive around stuff it isn't racing against, like a parked car or a car doing donuts, but simply watching one race against the easier AI shows that when it comes to racing, they CAN AND DO drive as though they've no idea you're there and that they CAN AND DO attempt to drive through the players car in an attempt to stick to the line, even if avoiding that collision only takes a slight steering adjustment.

And this is before we get into cars where one nudge while you're on the edge of grip actually ruins your race.

That AI analysis video does not address the fact that while RACING, the AI drives at times like its trying to ruin your race, nor does it address the fact that it does do that, which is why people, including reviewers, took note of it.

I'd be annoyed with that. Mostly fair observations, though I think that particular video is less damning than you describe.

Korezo

Yes. When I connected earlier today the game gave me a progress update where my club was taken from level 3 to level 5. And I know my second club member has not contributed yet, so it must have been offline xp from me getting synced.

Yeah, that's how it will be. Free tracks can be raced in single event, time trials and MP. The tour packs in the season pass will then contain events for the free tracks (and existing tracks).

None of that xp has gone to my club, and I beat all the events on Wednesday.

Time trial is in my opinion the best mode in DC. Currently playing Putre Chile track over and over from the past 2 hours trying to get into global top 50 and the insane load times makes it really easy for me to say 'alright let's do this one more time'.

I'm currently sitting at Rank 6. Let's see how long I can last until someone dethrone me.

Edit: Yep right after I posted this someone dethroned me from Rank 6

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Finally decided to watch this video, and I'm calling BS in terms of it debunking complaints about AI

It shows how AI behaves when the player is sitting still or doing donuts. Most people do t play DC like that.....

I waited and waited for the guy to present a scenario that actually represents the actual gameplay experience of the game, but there was none.

When I'm driving at 100 mph and I can feel that the AI is turning into my car, on a straight. This video means nothing. When that AI continues to steer into my car for long and hard enough that my car spins out, this video means nothing.

When the AI decides that it's going to dive bomb and take the racing line right through a corner if I take a wide entry instead of taking the inside line through the corner so we can both make it, this video means nothing.

Heres a video of some actual racing against the AI. I simply typed in "Driveclub race" in YouTube and picked the first vid.

http://youtu.be/9T6XdupzcnQ

Guy is obviously new and makes some mistakes but....

First thing that happens in the race? Player gets alongside AI, it instead of it acknowledging his existence, it decides that it will be taking the racing line, even if that line is through the players cockpit. Forcing him off road.

At the first corner, the player funny enough gets some snap oversteer on entry which luckily means he doesn't get plowed by the yellow AI sweeping across the front of his car.

On the exit of that same corner, Another AI car almost pit manoeuvres him off the track before it can even think about simply taking another line to avoid contact.

At 1:38 the player does well to avoid contact going into the fast right-left hander,as the AI slams the door shut as it has the right to, but when the player gets a run on exit, the AI car again decides that it wants to deviate onto the racing line, even while the players car is sitting on it. In racing, the driver in front is owed the racing line, but not if that line is occupied by another car.

Another point of note is at 3:16, where the AI I front pulls away and takes the racing line, and another AI also going faster and looking to get ahead, just powers through the front of the players car and on to the line instead of racing him side by side.

At 3:41 the AI makes contact with the back of his car sticking to the line instead of just a small adjustment.

At 3:54 the AI swings in wildly toward the apex of the corner despite being side by side going in. The player knows the AI has no idea he's there and takes to the grass which allows him to survive. On exiting that corner the AI against slams the door shut despite a good enough portion of the players car being side by side.

At 4:00, despite the player not allowing the AI to slam him into the wall at the exit of the last corner and now being in front for the next corner, the AI again sticks rigidly to its driving line, regardless of the fact that it means he's effectively trying to pit manoeuvre the players car as he tries to navigate the corner.

People complain about the AIs lack of awareness and it's willingness to stick to the line WHILE RACING and it took no effort to find video evidence of exactly that. There's close, hard racing, them there's just having almost no regard for the fact that the player is there.

It's okay to post up a video showing that the AI has good enough routing intelligence that it can drive around stuff it isn't racing against, like a parked car or a car doing donuts, but simply watching one race against the easier AI shows that when it comes to racing, they CAN AND DO drive as though they've no idea you're there and that they CAN AND DO attempt to drive through the players car in an attempt to stick to the line, even if avoiding that collision only takes a slight steering adjustment.

And this is before we get into cars where one nudge while you're on the edge of grip actually ruins your race.

That AI analysis video does not address the fact that while RACING, the AI drives at times like its trying to ruin your race, nor does it address the fact that it does do that, which is why people, including reviewers, took note of it.

So you're advocating that AI must have command over time and space to move their own car in 3D dimensions to avoid hitting the player. All of those situations were unavoidable. No one able to to avoid hitting the AI while driving at more than 150km/h, why should the AI be able to. I'd even go out on a limb to say this is the best AI of any racing game I've played.

East Coast USA... I have yet to be able to do anything online. Twice it's said I was connected, but I was unable to join online matches or create a club.

shandy706

I'd even go out on a limb to say this is the best AI of any racing game I've played.

So this is the only racing game you have ever played? (I'm sure it's not)

They literally won't change their line unless they have to, or you knock them out of it. Doesn't matter if you're going 25mph or 100mph and you are right beside them.

Moozo

Did I totally imagine them revealing this with a mode where you could explore the cars? What's the point of modelling all those cockpits to the millimetre if you can't even look at them?

p3tran

Banned
Almost finished the game. I'm waiting for people to be able to join the club and get to level 15 for the BAC Mono to get that British lightweight challenge. Not caring for redoing other races until challenges get re-enabled. Currently done with it.

if you mean Norwegian lightweight challenge, that one in the Legend tour, you can do that in the atom ;)

ukas

Am I supposed to be annoyed with the developer or Sony for the online issues? I would assume the latter, as Sony is the one getting my money for online play and they manage PSN.

PSN isn't the issue, nor the servers. Rushy stated on Saturday that it's a problem with their code.

I see Giant Bomb and some others have shit on this game. Second opinions yet, GAFers? Worth picking up?

The online portion of the game is still not working sometimes but other that this is a solid racing game for me. The graphics are really good and the sense of speed is just insane. I'd say wait for at least a week later, by then hopefully they will iron out all the server issues.

evolution

So this is the only racing game you have ever played? (I'm sure it's not)

They literally won't change their line unless they have to, or you knock them out of it. Doesn't matter if you're going 25mph or 100mph and you are right beside them.

Can you be more specific? Why would anyone change their line unless they have to?

Here is another video, clearly showing more than capable AI, pointing out that unpredictable /inexperience racers cause most of the crashes and the AI holds up on many occasions avoiding collisions and differentiating from the racing line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T6XdupzcnQ&feature=youtu.be

This vid also got retweeted by Rushy.
I might be wrong, but it is certainly the impression I've had from playing at the different levels, but it seems to me that the higher level AIs react differently to the Rookie and Amateur levels. They to me tended to be the racing-line-come-hell-or-high-water types. But even then they do avoid you, they will try to go for racing line if they're ahead, but if that means rubbing against you they will then adjust left or right. They don't continue rubbing you for 500m until you back out or crash.

OmegaDL50

East Coast USA... I have yet to be able to do anything online. Twice it's said I was connected, but I was unable to join online matches or create a club.

Hey, if you want to join my club. I got a open spot, I'm also located in East Coast US, so if your interested whenever you can connect just send me a friend invite over PSN and I accept you and send club invite through the game.

kyser73

Just cleared amateur class. Boy that BHR track in the class challenge set is something! Love the Lotus too - really managed to hook up some nice drives, and I'm loving that the speed is increasing!

Online on and off, am mainly grinding for the team atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom