• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype

It's a ton of fun just by yourself. Servers should be fine long before you get sick of the tour and time trials.
Ya, I've already played it a ton, it's just a fun game. I mostly end up just ghosting in most racing games anyway, but it would be nice to see the servers up.

Also, after tweeting the DC guys about future dlc and getting a "maybe :) " in response to the Mclaren F1 I got pretty stoked.

I am really enjoying the game, but what irks me are the collision penalties when the AI slams into you. I hope they fix that and the impact fame penalty, because nothing is more frustrating than doing a corner perfectly only to have the AI slam into you so you suffer and everyone launches ahead of you.

btkadams

I am really enjoying the game, but what irks me are the collision penalties when the AI slams into you. I hope they fix that and the impact fame penalty, because nothing is more frustrating than doing a corner perfectly only to have the AI slam into you so you suffer and everyone launches ahead of you.
I honestly wouldn't mind the aggressive AI if there weren't those collision penalties. I agree; it's really frustrating.

Regarding the AI: It's not about wanting them to make space for the player, it's about wanting them to acknowledge the player as a variable in the race and adjust themselves as the player has to adjust. There are point deductions for even minor bumps so why aren't they playing by the same rules? It's one thing if they see you and react to keep the line through corners, but they'll drive through you even on straights or slight bends to keep that line. It just doesn't feel like they're always realistically aware of your presence. To the point that even as you draft and fly past them they'll sometimes keep to the line, a situation where attempting to block and push you would actually be appropriate. It's that robotic non-reaction, offensively and defensively, that's being criticized here.

Reposting the link with PUBLIC setting hopefully this works
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1512954808947807&set=vb.100006999065677&type=2&theater

My first run through wasn't as bad as I expected. The motion controls work pretty much 1:1. A few more run throughs and I'll be proficient at the controls.

Still the same. Try going to Apps on the left side of FB and finding the PSN app, there's settings in there. I couldn't get my videos to show on What's New either so good luck.

Regarding the AI: It's not about wanting them to make space for the player, it's about wanting them to acknowledge the player as a variable in the race and adjust themselves as the player has to adjust. There are point deductions for even minor bumps so why aren't they playing by the same rules? It's one thing if they see you and react to keep the line through corners, but they'll drive through you even on straights or slight bends to keep that line. It just doesn't feel like they're always realistically aware of your presence. To the point that even as you draft and fly past them they'll sometimes keep to the line, a situation where attempting to block and push you would actually be appropriate. It's that robotic non-reaction, offensively and defensively, that's being criticized here.

This.

If the AI aren't there simply as moving blockers, they should be trying to win too, but they'll do stuff like needlessly clip you and ruin their own momentum just to keep on the racing line, which does actually make them seem more like moving blockers than competitors.

This.

If the AI aren't there simply as moving blockers, they should be trying to win too, but they'll do stuff like needlessly clip you and ruin their own momentum just to keep on the racing line, which does actually make them seem more like moving blockers than competitors.

Plus if they hit you, you lose fame, it is really annoying. Hell getting PIT Maneuvered and being slammed into the wall to get a collision penalty made me rage quit the game today.

farmerboy

I'm having a bit of a giggle here thinking about some of the criticism of the ai (some of it warranted, no doubt), you all must be loving the multiplayer.

Dodgem car/destruction derby city in there. The "ai" is ruthless.

Viruz

Now that I'm connected, I can see what car I can use for a certain race.

Example:

Race: Oliver's Landing
User: Alcomoney
Car: Audi RS 5 Coupé
Time : best on my list

I'll try ;)

Hoje0308

Banned
Ya, I've already played it a ton, it's just a fun game. I mostly end up just ghosting in most racing games anyway, but it would be nice to see the servers up.

Also, after tweeting the DC guys about future dlc and getting a "maybe :) " in response to the Mclaren F1 I got pretty stoked.

The cockpit view of the F1 would be great! My dream car would probably be something like an old grand prix car such as the Auto Union Type C or Mercedes W165. Evo are great about capturing sound and nothing sounds like a supercharged V16. Too bad about the Porsche license, as a 917/30 would be absolutely insane in Driveclub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oXV5AUH3sQDriveclub.

Justified anger.

Yikes! I don't know if you're lurking, but if you are I'm sorry about being such an ass. :(

Connected for the first time this evening and was able to join my club and start earning some points and unlocking some cars. Teeny bit annoying that all the points I've earned up to now don't get counted.

I noticed that not everything was working quite as it should, and that it took a while to get a response from the server when joining the club.

I wasnt able to join in with the multiplayer fun either. Got as far as the lobby before I got kicked, and I couldn't get back in afterwards.

Glad to see some progress being made and I hope we aren't far from full functionality.

On another note, the game looks so much better at night. It really does look gorgeous.

Moozo

Just went 16th in the world on the Chungara Challenge, with a little more time in the tank but I wasn't matching my best first sector any more so I'll come back to it later.
I am the highest placed Huayra anyway :)

So, following on from this, decided to try it in the Venom and I am now comfortably the fastest in the world on Chungara Challenge tour event :)

faaljan

Neo Member
After about two hours I finally got all the stars on the Lightweight series with the Atom.

I am never touching that car again, that is not my idea of fun. :(

Moozo

Sorry for posting again so soon but just twigged this on the FB:

Driveclub 8 minutes ago

Continual upgrades to the DRIVECLUB servers are building a steady increase in performance, meaning that we're getting more and more players connected.

The next server update is coming within 24 hours and will mean we can start to switch on more of the online features, so that you will be able to play more of DRIVECLUB online.

We are sorry that we don't have more concrete news to share right now, but please be patient. We will have more information for you tomorrow.

Connection has been much better today. If they're going t turn the other features back on they must be pretty confident it will hold.

Nafai1123

Banned
Leaderboards are actually working now? Can't wait to set some times. Last night I could see other peoples times but it wasn't ranking my own.

Hoje0308

Banned
So, following on from this, decided to try it in the Venom and I am now comfortably the fastest in the world on Chungara Challenge tour event :)

Have you found anything that's faster than the Venom yet? Even cars like the Koenigsegg that are supposed to have better handling seem to lose their ass more easily in the fast bits and they don't seem much better in low or medium speed either, as the Venom has a good enough nose to dive in and then all the torque in the world to make up for any lost time.

Sorry for posting again so soon but just twigged this on the FB:

Connection has been much better today. If they're going t turn the other features back on they must be pretty confident it will hold.

Can't wait for them to get things stabilized. Just being connected for a few minutes starts to show you just much much a difference the online integration will make with this game. Especially once we're able to race against each other and properly send challenges. That'll make the other DC thread much easier to work with once everyone can have a specific challenge sent to them. We can do weekly or daily challenges.

Moozo

Have you found anything that's faster than the Venom yet? Even cars like the Koenigsegg that are supposed to have better handling seem to lose their ass more easily in the fast bits and they don't seem much better in low or medium speed either, as the Venom has a good enough nose to dive in and then all the torque in the world to make up for any lost time.

I'm fairly confident that it's the quickest car on the game on a twisty track like that because it sticks so well under brakes and turn in, and as you say, being one of the quickest if not the quickest out a corner apart from the Atom, makes it pretty much unbeatable.

bombshell

that's not sounding too good, I mean, they keep saying that they are "increasing the number of players' that can connect to the server" looks like a temporary fix to me a not a definitive one :( I dont know what to think.... and keep in mind that the PS+ version will make things worse :\

Rushy has said a couple of times on twitter that it's not numbers bringing the servers down, but some unforeseen bugs server-side.

krioto

Can anyone explain the cornering challenges?

I'm flying through a corner challenge, keeping great speed and sticking to the blue line, but am getting no where near the challenge target?

This is not a drift corner, just a standard corner challenge - what should I be doing?

thanks

Nafai1123

Banned
Can anyone explain the cornering challenges?

I'm flying through a corner challenge, keeping great speed and sticking to the blue line, but am getting no where near the challenge target?

This is not a drift corner, just a standard corner challenge - what should I be doing?

thanks

It sounds like you're doing it right. keep the blue line in between your tires and keep your speed and you should be able to complete them no problem. If you go too slow you stop getting points (or get less of them).

D23

I wish you guys can experience online team race. I played for six hours straight last night with some gaffers.

Its insanely fun and very addictive.

I've been online all day but i can't make a single race. At least all progress is counting towards my club.
That was my experience yesterday, I got in one race, but there was only one other guy in it - and they still insisted in crashing on purpose into me. Previous to that it hadn't been too bad, but had to wait around 30 minutes to get connected and finding races took a while. But today I keep getting disconnected.

And yet someone on here is completing Challenges :eek:

leadbelly

Banned

Well, I won't know until I play it. Looking at this AI test on youtube though, cars will at least attempt to avoid you. I'm not talking simply when at a standstill.

At 1:20 the yellow car does appear to avoid a collision. At least in that instance, It can't be that the AI is totally oblivious at all times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuC_SIzkZyk

Although on other videos, it does seem quite aggressive at times.

Well, I won't know until I play it. Looking at this AI test on youtube though, cars will at least attempt to avoid you. I'm not talking simply when at a standstill.

At 1:20 the yellow car does appear to avoid a collision. At least in that instance, It can't be that the AI totally oblivious at all times.

I've found that their awareness of you is spotty, sometimes great and sometimes oblivious (ramming into the back of your car for no good reason).

wouwie

Various bits and pieces came alive when i played tonight: leaderboards and ghosts amongst some other things. It was far from smooth though and i might have been lucky. At least something happened for the first time since i bought the game.

I wish there was a quicker way to alter event settings without having to go back to the upper menu before diving back into the same menu to select the same track but with different event settings. It's something i noticed when doing some time trials but maybe there is a quicker way...

Edit: and it's back offline. To be honest, the facebook update doesn't instill confidence that they have found a solution yet.

At 1:20 the yellow car does appear to avoid a collision. At least in that instance, It can't be that the AI totally oblivious at all times.

Yeah sorry that test is really far short of exhaustive. They can certainly improve the AI, for example if you park on a big open sweeper but NOT in the driving line, AI cars that are
a) driving at less than their max speed
b) following each other
will clip you on the way past. On every lap.

They have no excuse as they are not driving at 10/10ths because you're stopped and that's what the AI does when you're stopped. It drives slowly. Yet they clip you. So while they are better than your average random human opponent online who drives like an idiot, they are definitely not Google Car. But a patch could fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom