• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viruz

Just connected to the servers just as I am about to set off for work! Yay! :D

I'm in too!!
I'm in Europe, maybe the UK PSN update helped us?
I just created a CLUB.
Name: ThrifCloop
Join if you can and if you want some fame. I'm an average player, so professional drivers... Not for you.

Hoje0308

Banned
If you get connected, you won't be for long. I get connected about every 30 mins now, to lose it 5 mins later. Pathetic Evo.

I've found that if you stay in the main menu you get disconnected more quickly. Seems like you have to be active. Of course, I could just be lucky, since I seem to maintain connection for about a half hour each time, usually longe .

Gestault

I've found that if you stay in the main menu you get disconnected more quickly. Seems like you have to be active. Of course, I could just be lucky, since I seem to maintain connection for about a half hour each time, usually longe .

Yeah, if someone's just idling while in online mode, it actually seem reasonable to drop their session unless they actually get into a game or access community features. At the very least during a situation like this.

If you're riding side by side, and the guy is inside you...you don't try to drive through him to hit the apex. Same with passing on the outside, you shouldn't get run off the road due to the AI drive-line shifting outside.

xlrory.gif
Might could have tapped the brake here, look at all the cars though, they even weave on the same drive line.

eheaba.gif
AI cars sticking to drive line through curve, AI pushes the player into the wall despite plenty of room and him being 3/4 of a car inside him.

pppbfr.gif
You can see the car is aiming for the Apex Here...ignores the player who tries to dodge.

ozszpt.gif
Off the start line AI ignores him, you also see the AI ahead just pushing each other right off the road.

While there are some instances where this is what should be done, what about when you're just riding along side by side, and it completely ignores you?

This doesn't get any clearer that the player doesn't matter to the AI....twice.

zfoftk.gif

Thanks for making this post :)

Again to press the point that the people jumping all over this are missing.

You can't take a guys "A.I" analysis video" where he sits his car in the middle of the track or does donuts in one spot while A.I drives around him and say " look, see the AI do try to avoid contact!!,! STFU Jeff Gerstmann!"

The video I posted and the gifs made from it show at multiple points in one race that even if you are beside them, they'll still try and drive through you.
Even on a straight they'll clip you on the way past for no reason.

Even 100% side by side into a corner they'll fling themselves into your path.

Even when you're ahead going into a corner, they'll fail to adjust their line even slightly. Even if it means their trajectory will end up in a pit manoeuvre.

These are criticisms people and critics had, that we're supposedly proved "wrong" by the AI analysis video. That video proves nothing, the evidence of what people complained about is plain to see.

Whether you personally don't mind it is another issue, but telling people they're wrong and that it doesn't exist is wrong.

You can't take a guys "A.I" analysis video" where he sits his car in the middle of the track or does donuts in one spot while A.I drives around him and say " look, see the AI do try to avoid contact!!,! STFU Jeff Gerstmann!"

The video I posted and the gifs made from it show at multiple points in one race that even if you are beside them, they'll still try and drive through you.

These are criticisms people and critics had, that we're supposedly proved "wrong" by the AI analysis video. That video proves nothing, the evidence of what people complained about is plain to see.

Whether you personally don't mind it is another issue, but telling people they're wrong and that it doesn't exist is wrong.
I'm not saying that its wrong but since I drive like that myself I expect the AI to do it as well, so I'm in the it doesnt bother me camp. I will even go as far as to say this, IMO, is the best AI I have seen in a driving game.

baconcow

It's not a demo. Demos don't have full unlimited functionality.

And no.

Edit: Double post. Figured somebody else would have posted by the time I did this. Sorry.

Last time I checked, even the retail copy didn't have full functionality.

Also, many demos have full functionality but limit tracks, cars, levels, etc.

shandy706

Love your breakdown of this, every car game I have played does this.

Then I assume you've not played every car game :p

I 100% don't have a problem with it in arcade racers...at all. Again, for..what...the 3rd time...I was addressing folks that say it's the best AI ever. There are racers where the AI has different tendencies. It just looks like basic AI. No learning, no avoidance unless you're sitting still in front of them, but many games avoid you in that instance.

Turkoop

Banned
Guys really
I know DC is been criticized very bad
But I have so many fun with it
Gameplay is for me like Rushy said just perfect
it is not simple, makes fun and amazing for me
For me - this is the best racing game I have ever played, i was very satisfied with GRID 2 on PS3, but DC makes EVERYTHING more beautiful and better.
I am really enjoying DC and gonna buy Season Pass.
No matter the server issues, I'm naive and trust into Evo Studios !

Rey

Thanks to the guys who said to try out the motion controls. I had no idea that was in the game and it feels awesome.

Codeblew

Guys really
For me - this is the best racing game I have ever played, i was very satisfied with GRID 2 on PS3, but DC makes EVERYTHING more beautiful and better.

WTF kind of paragraph structure is that?

Unbelievable. Can't believe how hyped I was for this game and it's been this fucked. I actually took vacation days this week to extend the weekend, hoping to be able to play the game the whole time.

Having gone through something similar with the really botched Japanese launch of Phantasy Star Universe, among other online game launches, I'll never take time off for online-enabled games again.

WTF kind of paragraph structure is that?

GAF equivalent of ee cummings

SkylineRKR

I enabled IFC on my Panny, dat feel of 60fps!

But really, this fucking game is so growing on me. Its handling is wonderful, the graphics are lush... and when online worked last weekend I was stunned by it. Best racing game I've played in ages.

dieter

Neo Member
So I rented the game over the weekend from Redbox to give it a try (as I couldn't try out the PS+ version to make up my mind).

My impressions:
1. I really love the handling of the cars. Is it just me or does it remind anyone of the DiRT style of handling? I love how you can throw the cars into corners easily etc.
2. The graphics are amazing, visually I love it.
3. Load times on the game really blew me away, it is so incredibly fast to get into races etc (note: I didn't get a chance to try mplayer).
4. I'm not really a hardcore racer, even though I love GT, Forza, DiRT and Grid racing games. I found the combination of quite aggressive AI, high end cars and lack of rewind functionality extremely frustrating when I got up to around level 15 (think it was the Semi Pro championship). I even had a rage quit after getting knocked into a wall and getting stuck for a second in the last 10% of a race.

So far I'm not quite ready to buy it yet, but I really enjoyed playing it overall. I'll probably rent it again once the server issues are resolved and other feature patches are out.

I'd highly recommend renting it at Redbox if you are in the US and your local one has a copy.

Moozo

Just went 16th in the world on the Chungara Challenge, with a little more time in the tank but I wasn't matching my best first sector any more so I'll come back to it later.
I am the highest placed Huayra anyway :)

Viruz

Just went 16th in the world on the Chungara Challenge, with a little more time in the tank but I wasn't matching my best first sector any more so I'll come back to it later.
I am the highest placed Huayra anyway :)

image.php

Good for you!!

Guys please stop quoting the GIFS!

Guys really

I think this guy trying to give us title suggestion for the next DC OT.

leadbelly

Banned

Even when you're ahead going into a corner, they'll fail to adjust their line even slightly. Even if it means their trajectory will end up in a pit manoeuvre.

Actually, the point you made at around 1:38 was wrong though. They aren't side-by-side until 1:48 as far as I can tell, and it isn't actually the white car that bumps into him, it is the player.

I haven't played the game admittedly, but the points shown in those gifs are mostly with the car in front. It seems as if the guy wants the AI just to move out of the way to let him past. The fact that they don't do that and will hit him if he tries to squeeze through seems like a fault to him. Obviously this is a flawed analysis though as you could argue that as they are in front they aren't expected to move out of the way, and the onus is actually on the driver behind to keep out of the way.

Bz2YY7GIYAEmiL7.jpg:large
Would make sense with the one-in-one-out rule as I left the PS4 on for an hour (had shit to do) and came back .. one drift trial later and the leaderboards were up ... even got to join a GAFclub ...

psn

Nah, they don't know what the player will do in the next 5 secs... He's breaking before they have contact in most cases. The AI has reaction time, too. And is not avoiding every crash... And he is the one trying to overtake, not even close to his front wheels, so he has to break...

The only problem I have with the AI is that they are driving too close in a chain. I'm close to level 40 and I never thought "damn you, AI, just because of you I lost the race.."

Viruz

THIS!

Just play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom