• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadbelly

Banned
Yeah sorry that test is really far short of exhaustive. They can certainly improve the AI, for example if you park on a big open sweeper but NOT in the driving line, AI cars that are
a) driving at less than their max speed
b) following each other
will clip you on the way past. On every lap.

They have no excuse as they are not driving at 10/10ths because you're stopped and that's what the AI does when you're stopped. It drives slowly. Yet they clip you. So while they are better than your average random human opponent online who drives like an idiot, they are definitely not Google Car. But a patch could fix it.

The point I was making wasn't really about how they react while you were at a complete standstill --clearly they do avoid you though as this test shows -- It was more about what they do while driving a long side them. At 1:20 in the other video it at least shows there is some awareness of you by AI cars when driving along side them. That doesn't necessarily mean the AI has perfect awareness, it is just ascertaining whether the AI cars are aware at all. Some of the arguments people are making is that they don't see your car at all, and will take the race line regardless of whether you're there or not.

I was just wondering how true that was.

but they don't avoid you if you are sitting on the track. Yes in *that test* they do, however there are plenty of places where they don't.

Since we drive all the tracks and all the corners, you will find places where they clip when they overtake you, even though they did not have to.

I'm sure there are other flaws as well like not being aware who has the driving line when you're running side by side, and not braking heavily enough when they come up on you fast.

No dispute they have some avoidance however the "test" isn't a test, its just an example of some situations where they do ok with avoiding. But there are so many more tests to document before you can conclude anything however I've seen enough while driving (or parked doing time lapses) to know they are happy to hit you, when they _could_ avoid you given their speed and car ability.

Just waiting for that to be documented conclusively.

leadbelly

Banned
but they don't avoid you if you are sitting on the track. Yes in *that test* they do, however there are plenty of places where they don't.

Since we drive all the tracks and all the corners, you will find places where they clip when they overtake you, even though they did not have to.

I'm sure there are other flaws as well like not being aware who has the driving line when you're running side by side, and not braking heavily enough when they come up on you fast.

No dispute they have some avoidance however the "test" isn't a test, its just an example of some situations where they do ok with avoiding. But there are so many more tests to document before you can conclude anything however I've seen enough while driving (or parked doing time lapses) to know they are happy to hit you, when they _could_ avoid you given their speed and car ability.

Just waiting for that to be documented conclusively.

Yeah. Again though, I was just wondering how true it is. I won't really know exactly how good or bad the AI is until I try it out for myself. I will definitely test it once I get the game.

murgo

While the server situation is a huge letdown, the game itself is fucking AMAZING. I just sat down, got past my annoyance with the servers, put my headset on and did a few time trials in the McLaren 12c. Driving is so much fun, the car sounds just like in real life (a dude I know bought a 12c recently. Looks and sounds absolutely amazing.) and the graphics are mindblowing. Good job Evo! Now please go and fix the goddamn servers.

Auctopus

But is it worth server issues?
yes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

Sorry for the HUD, it caught me off guard. (Roof and below the spoiler on the right, it's definitely condensation)

bmw-condensationopu9x.jpg

Jesus fucking CHRIST.... Why do i even try anymore? Sure, the server was "working". Let's try some multiplayer right? Nooooooo cause it's just a constant countdown to error. Well, maybe try some single player. Oh wait, all the great cars are locked because i don't have the required club level yet.
I WOULD have had the required clublevel if i was ABLE to join a club from the start of the game and all the events i finished would have been added points to my club. But i only was able to actually join a club after all those singleplayer events, because the server only started working (for three whole minutes) at that point.

My time to play games is limited and i've wasted too much time trying to connect with this motherfucking server.

Don't get me wrong, i think the game is GREAT. Really awesome. But i'm sick and tired of this level of failure.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Fingers crossed everyone, the UPS deliverer is supposed to be dropping this off today. If it is delayed again, I will take it as divine providence that God is trying to protect me from playing this game.

NeoRausch

Jesus fucking CHRIST.... Why do i even try anymore? Sure, the server was "working". Let's try some multiplayer right? Nooooooo cause it's just a constant countdown to error. Well, maybe try some single player. Oh wait, all the great cars are locked because i don't have the required club level yet.
I WOULD have had the required clublevel if i was ABLE to join a club from the start of the game and all the events i finished would have been added points to my club. But i only was able to actually join a club after all those singleplayer events, because the server only started working (for three whole minutes) at that point.

My time to play games is limited and i've wasted too much time trying to connect with this motherfucking server.

Don't get me wrong, i think the game is GREAT. Really awesome. But i'm sick and tired of this level of failure.

Hey, don't get so upset about unlocking cars!!
You won't be able to use the even when you've unlocked them as long as you are offline.
I want my cars back!

Loudninja

Old they posted a newer one.
Continual upgrades to the DRIVECLUB servers are building a steady increase in performance, meaning that we're getting more and more players connected.

The next server update is coming within 24 hours and will mean we can start to switch on more of the online features, so that you will be able to play more of DRIVECLUB online.

We are sorry that we don't have more concrete news to share right now, but please be patient. We will have more information for you tomorrow.
https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial?hc_location=timeline

Auctopus

Hey, don't get so upset about unlocking cars!!
You won't be able to use the even when you've unlocked them as long as you are offline.
I want my cars back!

Yep, I'll knock the game for that. Once you unlock cars with your club, they need to stay unlocked.

jett

D-Member
Love your breakdown of this, every car game I have played does this.

I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again: Grid 2 is one racer that actually almost makes me believe the AI has a certain regard for their lives. :p They will slow down if they're close to rear ending you.

The AI in DC is clearly as stupidly simple as most racers.

Any more tips? I have trouble staying on the track after ripping up the handbrake

If you are in Auto, you do need to change down earlier than the auto box will because otherwise the rear starts to regain grip as the revs drop, and push you off. You need the tires spun up all the time.

madp0k

Got the rack em up trophy by accident, unlocked the ferrari california, turned off hud, went to norway, drove around in the dark, saw the northern lights, ragged the fucking life out of it, and then the trophy popped. Love it. Very few games make me want to just rag a car around for no apparent reason.

Tunes help :)

The Atom... My Goodness... The ATOM!!! What a blast! It is so exhilarating to drive. A bit twitchy but that is what makes it so fun. It is perfect for time trials but in a race versus AIs in asshole mode... Not too sure.

yella

Been getting online more often than not the last few days. Was even able to make a club; the name is Red Panthers.

I made it private for now so gaffers without a club can get a chance to join if they wish. If you're interested (and can get onlin), just reply in this thread or shoot me a PM. You can even send me a friend request through DRIVECLUB-GAF.

Looking forward to racing with you guys when everything is running smoothly!

My problem with the AI is that it feels like they're not racing each other at all. It seems like the game chooses which car is going to be in what place and doesn't deviate from that. Like, when I'm doing a single event race and I'm in 4th place and the only car that's fighting me for 4th is this Mercedes. No other car is fighting for that position. And when I restart the race to try again, of course it's the same Mercedes at 4th place. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but it's annoying to me.

Prototype

Wait what?

The club cars are locked to online even after you earn them in game? (which I can't since I haven't been online once)

That's fucking lame as hell. Lol. Wow.

Edit. Been wanting to use the Zonda R but I guess it doesn't even matter...

Loudninja

Wait what?

The club cars are locked to online even after you earn them in game (which I can't since I haven't been online once)

That's fucking lame as hell. Lol. Wow.

Edit. Been wanting to use the Zonda R but I guess it doesn't even matter...
Nope Rushy said they will address that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom