• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game is like crack

I just got to the first hyper car events and they're already killing me. I'm bouncing all over, barely getting one star, and I just keep retrying with a big grin on my face. Sometimes racing on certain tracks, especially during particularly beautiful or exhilirating sections, I feel like this is the greatest thing I've played in years. I don't care about review scores one bit but in this instance I can't help but feel a little sad that the people who built this magnificent game don't get the recognition I think they deserve for their hard work. Despite the server issues...

I'm with you man. I'm not a fan of racing games normally but my god this game is so addictive.

SiRatul

Finally got to play a few online races after a whole week. People certainly need to learn to break at the right time before joining the online races though. Other than that it's quite fun.

I'm really pissed though that as long as I'm not actively connected none of my points that I earn get contributed to the club or that I can't use any of the previously unlocked club cars as well. I hope this is because of the games broken state right now and isn't actually how things are supposed to be. Otherwise it would be a really stupid way to implement the club system.

airjoca

Played for like 6 hours online yesterday, however I didn't do any MP races, just played through the tour trying to beat my friends scores and times that were already showing up on the leaderboards.

Here's an example:

4FB7t8Z.jpg

And the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ZJk22LrE8

Any tips on what to improve once my friends do better than me?

Putty

Finally got to play a few online races after a whole week. People certainly need to learn to break at the right time before joining the online races though. Other than that it's quite fun.

I'm really pissed though that as long as I'm not actively connected none of my points that I earn get contributed to the club or that I can't use any of the previously unlocked club cars as well. I hope this is because of the games broken state right now and isn't actually how things are supposed to be. Otherwise it would be a really stupid way to implement the club system.

If you are already in a club, and playing offline, as soon as you connect to the servers your club will then recieve all XP points achieved.

It cant just be me surely that thinks the launch of this game has been an absolute shambles and it definitely gets in the way of the enjoyment for me.

For it to be delayed for so long and still this occurs is awful.

And it will be the last time I go digital, if it was a physical copy of the game I would of sold it on by now.

Totally agree with all said here. I actually downloaded the digital copy and pre-ordered it as the release date was my birthday. I didn't get any playing time at all on my birthday due to worrying it botching the game in the long run (seeing it's so online orientated). Even now I can't log in properly and can't play online. It's been days now, beyond poor. I could forgive a day or so but, as said here, I'd have took the game back for something else had I got the physical copy. What can they even do to make it up to the consumers is what I want to know.

They damn well better not offer 'free cars', I'd be afraid the rush to download them would crash the servers again.

florin3k3

Hey, pretty helpful this video, I left yesterday that track because I can't reach the score.

I managed to get 7500 last night after playing the track for about 2 hours :))
I used manual transmission.
On first turn, come in from far left and hand brake pretty hard turning right and keep full throttle. When done correctly, you should be getting 1200 - 2000+ pretty easy and coming out of the corner with plenty of speed.
On second corner, come in on near side(right) letting off of gas and hand braking immediately before you actually reach the start of drift section. You should be in 4th gear and dropping to 3rd then 2nd. (I once managed to get around 3500 points in this corner alone) On the last turn, come into the turn wide right with moderate speed and turn hard left while handbraking. Downshift as needed.
I finally saw leaderboards for first time yesterday and #1 spot had 10,000 points (!!!) so 6700 is definitely doable.

Totally agree with all said here. I actually downloaded the digital copy and pre-ordered it as the release date was my birthday. I didn't get any playing time at all on my birthday due to worrying it botching the game in the long run (seeing it's so online orientated). Even now I can't log in properly and can't play online. It's been days now, beyond poor. I could forgive a day or so but, as said here, I'd have took the game back for something else had I got the physical copy. What can they even do to make it up to the consumers is what I want to know.

They damn well better not offer 'free cars', I'd be afraid the rush to download them would crash the servers again.

Yep free cars aint cutting it for me. Can you imagine if Destiny or COD had launched with such problems the meltdowns people would be having.

baconcow

Is it just me or can I just ram full speed into some red corners in time trial and bounce off onto the path again without a penalty? I did this in one time trial (by accident) and I have not been able to come anywhere as close to the time made by this, through legitimate driving. This seems a little broken as far as fun and competitive time trials are concerned. Also, it seems I can just slam into another car on a corner and most of the time take no penalty for collision. There are also regions of the track where driving through them will only get "(2)" on the countdown and yet receive no "corner" penalty, allowing me to cut off significant competitors or a large portion of the track during time trial. Online multiplayer is a similar nature, not penalizing for ramming others. Several times I have been spun around by the aggressive driving of others, just to see them get away with 0 slowdown penalties for collisions. Seems the AI does not take slowdown penalties for collisions, either. It would be nice to see this fixed, despite the game being simcade, as it takes the fun and immersion out of a great handling model.

SiRatul

If you are already in a club, and playing offline, as soon as you connect to the servers your club will then recieve all XP points achieved.

That's not whats happening though. I joined a club 2 days ago. It was on level 5. Since then I at least earned a million points or so and it was never added to the club. The club is still at level 5. A bit ago I got it close to 6 and then lost connection. I played a tournament where I got 170k and it showed that I reached level 6 but it was greyed out. So I thought after getting connected I would be on level 6. Got connected and I was on 5 again. So I played one more event and got to level 6 while being connected. Lost connection again and once I regained it I'm back at level 5 all of a sudden and my points are exactly where it was before the event which got me to level 6.
So far I have yet to see an occasion where my offline points go towards my club since joining it. It seems like I even got some of my points deducted that I got while being online. This is quite frustrating.

Hey guys, any clubs recruiting?!

Had a look at the last few pages:

CLUB: DominoFX; GAF: SSReborn
CLUB: nottoofast; GAF: travisbickle
CLUB: RazgrizVI; GAF: NormandyVII
CLUB: Style; GAF: Tangoownage
CLUB: PulpFriction; GAF: ButtSmasher
CLUB: Marx Brothers; GAF: Shiera Seastar; EU; at least 4 open spots

I could manage & update such a list regularly if you guys want to. Just PM me your Club info & region and give notice when you no longer need any members or just don't want to be on the list anymore.

Apeboy

When I first got the game immdieatley toggled on professional. A week later I'm wondering, what exactly that does. Is it just AI behavior or does it have any impact on handling?

I would also like to join a club, preferably EU one.
I'm already lvl 20 (got like 3 levels yesterday just trying to get all stars in Spyker drift), but I want to try those club cars.

cyber_ninja

This game is like crack

I just got to the first hyper car events and they're already killing me. I'm bouncing all over, barely getting one star, and I just keep retrying with a big grin on my face. Sometimes racing on certain tracks, especially during particularly beautiful or exhilirating sections, I feel like this is the greatest thing I've played in years. I don't care about review scores one bit but in this instance I can't help but feel a little sad that the people who built this magnificent game don't get the recognition I think they deserve for their hard work. Despite the server issues...

Well said buddy, I feel the same way. Hope that those bad reviews won't bring Evolution down and make them feel bad. My gut tells me the game will be a great success despite reviews, all thanks to word of mouth, PS+ and qualities of this title. DC is already my favorite racer ever. Thank you Rushy and Co.

Putty

1:39:393 in the Golf at the VW tour event in bonny Scotland, however there's a Golf in the top 5 who "did" a 1:12 which is clearly bullshit and must have just scythed across the corners and what not. If this is whats happening then some GT style penalty system should come into force. Stray a certain amount of course then your lap is dumped, as well as the next.

Putty

That's not whats happening though. I joined a club 2 days ago. It was on level 5. Since then I at least earned a million points or so and it was never added to the club. The club is still at level 5. A bit ago I got it close to 6 and then lost connection. I played a tournament where I got 170k and it showed that I reached level 6 but it was greyed out. So I thought after getting connected I would be on level 6. Got connected and I was on 5 again. So I played one more event and got to level 6 while being connected. Lost connection again and once I regained it I'm back at level 5 all of a sudden and my points are exactly where it was before the event which got me to level 6.
So far I have yet to see an occasion where my offline points go towards my club since joining it. It seems like I even got some of my points deducted that I got while being online. This is quite frustrating.

Can honestly say thats a new one for me.

Trigonx

I'm level 30 and I'm still looking for a club, US club to be specific. I'm pretty active and would love to help level up a club.

If anyone has an open spot i'd love to join.

PSN name = Trigonx

Apeboy

Does the AI act professional or do they smash into your behind like they normally do?

They are aggressive, no doubt about that. I will play around with that setting next time I'm on to try and determine what the setting actually does. I've only played with professional on so not sure what the difference is.

So far, I've found the AI runs predominantly in two packs. A lead pack, gap, second pack. I take them one at a time, overtaking them mostly in red corners and straights after drafting. Still, they can and will find a way to screw you over if given the opportunity. On the other hand, much satisfaction is taken from watching the lead car be too aggressive shortly before the finish line and wind up in the ditch.

lemmykoopa

With the servers working ok'ish since yesterday I finally put some time into the game and I really really like it. It's the most thrilling racer I've ever played. The sense of speed, the brutal engine sounds, the fantastic natural lighting, the rewarding and fun handling of the cars, the flames bursting out of the exhausts etc. Also I love the slick and minimalistic approach to the menus, no bloat and quick loading.

I hope the game doesn't bomb because Evolution deserve this game to sell well.

I don't get why I lose points for bashing into someone. I'm there to win races, not fucking make friends. Get out my way or you'll get a bit of door frame through the rib you shit.

dl77

I don't get why I lose points for bashing into someone. I'm there to win races, not fucking make friends. Get out my way or you'll get a bit of door frame through the rib you shit.

Isn't that like playing football, punching your opposition in the face then saying "I'm there to score goals not make friends, get out of my way!" and then getting annoyed when you're given a red card?!

OmegaDL50

Isn't that like playing football, punching your opposition in the face then saying "I'm there to score goals not make friends, get out of my way!" and then getting annoyed when you're given a red card?!

Pretty much. It's called Driveclub, NOT Smashclub.

AndyD

aka andydumi
My problem with the AI is that it feels like they're not racing each other at all. It seems like the game chooses which car is going to be in what place and doesn't deviate from that. Like, when I'm doing a single event race and I'm in 4th place and the only car that's fighting me for 4th is this Mercedes. No other car is fighting for that position. And when I restart the race to try again, of course it's the same Mercedes at 4th place. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but it's annoying to me.

I noticed that too. It even happens if I smash a certain car off the road and she loses a bunch of places, within a half a lap or a lap, she is back in the "preset" position. They definitely need more dynamism inbetween the AIs. They rarely seem to fight among each other but are plenty aggressive with the player.

But it's not against the rules because you don't get carded or disqualified. Hell, you even get an actual racing penalty when you go over the corners but having a bit of a smash up just loses you points. So clearly it's not against the rules, unlike punching someone in football.

Then please by all means avoid the online mode -_-

Hey man, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen, you know?

Hey man, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen, you know?

I don't even know if we're even talking the same game here.

Sure, you can complain all you want if you get penalty because you rammed into someone's car in Twisted Metal. But in Driveclub you're not supposed to do that and that's why the penalty system is there to discourage player from being an ass.

OmegaDL50

Sure, you can complain all you want if you get penalty because you rammed into someone's car in Twisted Metal. But in Driveclub you're not supposed to do that and that's why the penalty system is there to discourage player from being an ass.

Not everyone can properly race I suppose. They must make up for their lack of skill by other means. It's unfortunate but that is how it is I guess.

Hey come on man, I was just playing. It's obvious why they penalise it. But that's how I roll. Not that it matters because it doesn't bloody work, but if I ever actually play online, I certainly will be smashing my way around. Ya'll play your way, I'll play mine!

Finally got online, had some10 lap endurance races, got spun out to last place but fought to reach third place man and pressured him into a mistake at the end.

Second race avoided turn 1 shenanigans and fought for ten laps for second.

Third race was lots of three way fighting, but it seems people can really buckle under pressure if you can stick to their ass lap after lap till they make a mistake. Got spun by second place guy on first attack, pressure him for three laps till he spun out on his own on the beginning of a straight trying to get max acceleration.

Felt very awesome.

One thing I have to say thou his that the winner seems to usually be driving a car way down the unlock tree that no amount of clean driving can catch.

Finally got online, had some10 lap endurance races, got spun out to last place but fought to reach third place man and pressured him into a mistake at the end.

Second race avoided turn 1 shenanigans and fought for ten laps for second.

Third race was lots of three way fighting, but it seems people can really buckle under pressure if you can stick to their ass lap after lap till they make a mistake. Got spun by second place guy on first attack, pressure him for three laps till he spun out on his own on the beginning of a straight trying to get max acceleration.

Felt very awesome.

One thing I have to say thou his that the winner seems to usually be driving a car way down the unlock tree that no amount of clean driving can catch.

Pretty much the bolded. If the guy out in front has a late unlock car you wont catch him unless he makes a horrible mistake. I just finished a 10 lap endurance race and the guys out in front slowed down numerous times but I still couldnt catch them. Came in 3rd

This game is like crack

I 100% agree !

I think DC is one of the best racing games i've played since probably Motorstorm Pacific Rift last gen. I played more of DC this past weekend and damn, amazing game !

It's very intense, addicting, simple (no tuning and overly complicated stuff, just pure straight to the point racing), graphics are incredible, controls well, challenging... They nailed pretty much all aspects i like in a racing game. And all that without the new stuff that will be coming for it like weather and more tracks.

I just don't understand some of the reviews i've read. I'm not even sure some of the reviewers like videogames or handholding or both. This game goes back to the roots of score beating and challenge. I look at it as the Virtua Fighter of racing games, simple yet very deep in gameplay.

Thanks Evolution for creating an amazing racing game and hope you guys continue making games like these because i love them !

Why not literally finish the Tour mode? Then check out the accolades and challenges you probably have no idea about.

I haven't finished the tour because of the final lap time I have to drive in British Lightweight. Instead of frustrating myself with the Atom, I am waiting for the club level to reach 10 and get the BAC. Bet you can guess why we haven't reached
Level 10.

And I had honestly forgot about he accolades. That's because they don't have any redeeming value to me if I can't get them without grinding. Fine if I rake up kilometers by doing challenges or online races. But that's not possible with current connection problems.

This makes me think of a thing that could make the game a bit more interesting if the servers are up to spec again. Evolution should take Polyphony's example and give us weekly challenges. Make it feel fresh for a lomger time.

Putty

Did a 3:45 on the first India PTP race but the game didn't log my time 8(. Still has me at 3:49. First time i've been genuinly unhappy with the server situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom