• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I haven't finished the tour because of the final lap time I have to drive in British Lightweight. Instead of frustrating myself with the Atom, I am waiting for the club level to reach 10 and get the BAC. Bet you can guess why we haven't reached
Level 10.

And I had honestly forgot about he accolades. That's because they don't have any redeeming value to me if I can't get them without grinding. Fine if I rake up kilometers by doing challenges or online races. But that's not possible with current connection problems.

This makes me think of a thing that could make the game a bit more interesting if the servers are up to spec again. Evolution should take Polyphony's example and give us weekly challenges. Make it feel fresh for a lomger time.

They said that's the type of thing they want to have on a long term basis to keep it fresh. Now its probably 100% focus on fixing servers and that kinf od challenge can come when everything else works.

Oh my god just came back from getting spun out in the beginning of a 12 lap endurance race and taking 3rd. Probably the best driving ive ever done. Will post video soon!

ajcacio

Banned
Was just playing for 40 minutes and it did not connect at all. I'm so frustrated by these server issues that it's beginning to affect my enjoyment of what is otherwise a good game.

Putty

Munnar is possibly my favourite track. The sense of speed along that long back section with the quick left/rights feels just awe inspiring, more so if you don't take your foot off the gas! I love the time of day for that particular event aswell, especially when looking back to see the sun glare off the rocks.

Putty

I think, if people are still having problems getting online, don't bother with the game yet. Just hang tight and play something else for a spell. So when you eventually return...BOOM!

Rey

Finally got to play a few online races after a whole week. People certainly need to learn to break at the right time before joining the online races though. Other than that it's quite fun.

I'm really pissed though that as long as I'm not actively connected none of my points that I earn get contributed to the club or that I can't use any of the previously unlocked club cars as well. I hope this is because of the games broken state right now and isn't actually how things are supposed to be. Otherwise it would be a really stupid way to implement the club system.

Absolutely. Thats why there should be a bigger penalty for hitting objects/cars. U can just plow thru corners without loosing much speed.

Konosuke

New GAF challenge

Driveclub Gaf challenge 4.

Track - Sentralind Norway ( track 5 in Norway )
Car - Lotus Evora S Sports Racer
Time of Day - 15:00
Weather - Cloudy
Time Lapse - x30
Crowd Size - Medium

Time to beat 1:34.947

My hot lap
Usw6s5s.png

My Car
xvCjMsC.jpg

The Leaderboards
jSN1D69.png

Should see some quicker times here as there is lots of room for improvement. The final hairpin before the home straight can make or break your lap so watch for your back end slipping away. That top time could be beaten easily with a half decent lap.

for those who can't adapt to the in cockpit view you should try the dash cam it allows you to enjoy the graphical additions like the in cockpit view but also gives you more screen real estate. It's a good middle ground.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Munnar is possibly my favourite track. The sense of speed along that long back section with the quick left/rights feels just awe inspiring, more so if you don't take your foot off the gas! I love the time of day for that particular event aswell, especially when looking back to see the sun glare off the rocks.

That track is fantastic. I played it multiple times over last night even though I got all the stars on the first go. With a spin too.

I need to look at the controls again, as I can't seen to find the rear view. Or how to pan the view while driving. But I have to say the dash cam is fantastic. If only the sound level was corrected in dash cam, I would never use anything else.

And the game takes on a whole new meaning with the servers up and club membership. Played last night and it feels a whole lot like SSX with the continuously updating asynchronous leaderboards and friend challenges.

One thing I would like is a website or app to play with the paintjobs and decals and club emblem. There's so many options that I want to make something, but not while at the PS4, as then I just want to race.

for those who can't adapt to the in cockpit view you should try the dash cam it allows you to enjoy the graphical additions like the in cockpit view but also gives you more screen real estate. It's a good middle ground.

Driving in dashcam view is pure ecstacy. I would have preferred cockpit view in other racing games like GT5&6 but in driveclub, the more you can see the track and scenery, the better it is.

viveks86

Are you sure about that? It may be coincidence but I've only ever seen people allocated pts on their finishing position and nothing else. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I've just never witnessed it.

1st gets 15pts and last gets 1pt with no changes in position due to racing better than someone else who may have finished above you i.e all your team finish places 1-6, your team is awarded 61pts while places 7-12 are awarded 21pts.

Oh! Guess I wasn't paying attention. I stand corrected. The fame points just go towards the club, not who wins.

-Amon-

I don't get why I lose points for bashing into someone. I'm there to win races, not fucking make friends. Get out my way or you'll get a bit of door frame through the rib you shit.

Good online racing is a delicate balance between competition and collaboration.

It' s a unique form, different from any form of multiplayer when you have enemies and allies.

Here instead you have people to beat, but at the same time you have to work with them to avoid incidents.

viveks86

Good online racing is a delicate balance between competition and collaboration.

It' s a unique form, different from any form of multiplayer when you have enemies and allies.

Here instead you have people to beat, but at the same time you have to work with them to avoid incidents.

Well said. The reason this is encouraged is because that's what is required in a real life race as well. If you don't collaborate, you die.

Duallusion

I refuse to believe Ariel Atom is anywhere close to being as shit as it is here. You can barely make a turn without spinning around.

Moozo

I refuse to believe Ariel Atom is anywhere close to being as shit as it is here. You can barely make a turn without spinning around.
Of course you can, you just have to be gentle with the throttle and square off the exits of the corners before putting your foot down. Took me a few laps to get up to speed but once you do, damn.

-Amon-

Well said. The reason this is encouraged is because that's what is required in a real life race as well. If you don't collaborate, you die.

Must admit however that the right mindset is difficult, or impossible to obtain when racing with strangers.

That's the problem with these kind of games, if you don't race in a league with other people you know, it's really hard to have clean, good racing. The developer can impose whatever set of rules he wants, but in the end people will be dicks.

-Amon-

You have to be extremely careful with the throttle on corner exit, wich can be real difficult with the pad.

However there are a couple of things that can help. Choose manual transmission and stay one gear up. If you should be in 2nd gear on corner exit, choose 3rd gear. It will be easier to avoid wheel spin.

Another trick is stay in the right gear, but go on / off / on / off on the throttle. Tap and release the accelerator trigger real fast till you're sure you can apply full throttle without spinning,

JamboGT

I have to say, for me, it is the best car in the game.

Also If you "left foot brake" and trail the throttle into the corner it keeps the rear end more settled than just lifting off entirely as there is more weight on the rear.

Jimrpg

I'm really happy playing single player tour mode for now. The mini challenges keep the game fresh and exciting, feels like there's always something to do. Got 50 stars now and just finished the rookie trophy plus the next event after that. Still a lot more game to go!

Nafai1123

Banned
I have to say, for me, it is the best car in the game.

Also If you "left foot brake" and trail the throttle into the corner it keeps the rear end more settled than just lifting off entirely as there is more weight on the rear.

This is a great tip for anyone having problems with the car. I think a lot of people feel like it has no traction because they just lift off of throttle and turn in, causing the rear end to become unsettled. If you keep just a hair of throttle through the turn, you can avoid this from happening.

iFootball

<-- Sitting at work thinking about those pending third star time-trials and drift challenges that I left behind late last night

Konosuke

Thanks for the tips, guys. I hope Mono's friendlier to drive with a pad; haven't unlocked it yet.

The Mono is amazing! Best car in the game for me. Those brakes are too good. Not only that, it has insane acceleration, it's quite scary lol, but a great advantage in online races.

dano1

A Sheep
I don't get why I lose points for bashing into someone. I'm there to win races, not fucking make friends. Get out my way or you'll get a bit of door frame through the rib you shit.

And just wait for the front mounted cannon DLC. You'll be unstoppable!!

viveks86

<-- Sitting at work thinking about those pending third star time-trials and drift challenges that I left behind late last night

Haha! Tell me about it. I actually had a dream early this morning of having to beat some insane time trial challenge. As if playing the game all day wasn't enough

VillageBC

I'm disappointed my G25 wheel won't work with this game. =( I'm not about to drop another $300 on a new wheel when mine is still just fine and I refuse to have to buy a wheel per system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom