• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrikan

anyone have a link to the Gif of the famous Rain scene, but the one that shows no hud at first and then show's that yes it is a videogame.

i'm about to start thread in one of my favorite 9er forums.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I expect a Metacritic in the 70's.

I think you're overstating the accessibility. Yes, you can contribute to a club without winning, but other modern features like driving line options are more often seen by casual racing fans as real accessibility these days. Clubs of 6 people are fine, but imagine two weeks later when half your club members aren't playing the game regularly. What then? Compare that to another racing game which recently came out, where you can have hundreds of GAF members in the same club, and the game then creates leaderboards for those people to compete within, allowing for a meta game within the larger game. To me that feels like a next gen social experience. Even months after the game is out those people who are still actively playing will still be able to compete with one another, and other clubs without doing anything to fix the problem of other members leaving the game.

Another game that just came out is really just 'who earned the most XP this week', which is a pretty blunt instrument to measure skill against. I think that the larger communities will be more engaging as a 'how are we doing against the giant bomb community' aspect, and that may help people feel included and engaged for longer. But the game inside each group isn't really very much IMO.

bombshell

anyone have a link to the Gif of the famous Rain scene, but the one that shows no hud at first and then show's that yes it is a videogame.

i'm about to start thread in one of my favorite 9er forums.

Click on the top banner in OP for the hilarious Panda in Space made "ad" :p

KOHIPEET

uutxiv.gif

Jesus Mary saint Joseph!!

CrovaxPSO

Are there any videos that focus on the time dilation and dynamic clouds and stuff? Like, just sitting at the starting line with the time speed set to 60x or something?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, in my admittedly somewhat limited time spent watching novice players play driving games with the driving line turned on, I haven't once seen them try to stick to the driving line blindly. They will usually dance all around the track, and they will consult the driving line only if they're having a problem dealing with some nasty turn.

Of course, it's a tool, and as all tools, it can easily be abused.

For what it's worth, I like the flags system they use in DriveClub as well, at least in theory; it's very important to learn reading the trackside markers in proper racing sims.

I'd quite like something simpler, like a brake point indicator. For tracks they often have distance markers to corners - 150/100/50 etc. maybe they could add a flag at the side of the track which represents the preferred braking point for your car on that corner. Not dynamic, so if you're coming in too slow from a previous corner it won't be ideal, and not overlaid on the track so less distracting.

nsignific

Banned
Our local gaming mag is warning it's readers not to buy DriveClub til their review is out.

They never do this, it sounds like they have some bad things to say.

Our local gaming mag is warning it's readers not to buy DriveClub til their review is out.

The PS+ edition is free for all PS plus members. No harm in downloading it and trying it out before getting the full upgrade.

Suzzopher

Weird, what I played last week was fantastic. Not the full game granted, but the actual driving was fun and the racing was challenging. Not sure what could wrong outside of that.

Stillmatic

Damn, what's everyones beef with this game? I just don't get it, it's one of the best racers I've played in a long time. :/

IKizzLE

Guarentee you the major complaint will be not enough content for 60 bucks.
Stale, lack of variety, etc....even though similar racing games like PGR3 and Grid1 were rated highly.

Kane1345

There does seem to be a lot of negativity surrounding the gaming press when it comes to this game sadly. I also agree with others here in that I don't expect it to review highly due to the checklist nature of reviews these days. 70+ meta is where I'm sitting. Still gaffers playing already have given it praise and I also can't wait for it :)

Either they have some piece of information we can't gather from the hours of streamed footage and hands-on impressions or they are trying to stay relevant in a time when other media is making magazines obsolete.

Weird, what I played last week was fantastic. Not the full game granted, but the actual driving was fun and the racing was challenging. Not sure what could wrong outside of that.

May be they are comparing this game to Forza horizon 2 to complain that there is no dynamic weather, replays, less cars and content etc., like game is incomplete and should wait for patches instead of reviewing this game as a racer and their goals in its own metrics. This is really bad and i hope this does not do any harm to this game (If it does then i really doubt Evolution studio can make another game), people can see the game in action for graphics, some impressions and gameplay right now to buy the game and they also know the content they are getting too. What else can go wrong horribly with this game?

Guarentee you the major complaint will be not enough content for 60 bucks.
Stale, lack of variety, etc....even though similar racing games like PGR3 and Grid1 were rated highly.

anyone think Evolution made a mistake when they decide to have 5 location with 5 unique track each(11 with variation)? 25 tracks(55 with variation) is very respectable amount of tracks imo, but categgorizing them with only 5 location make them seems smaller. felt like it's probably better to have more location with just 2 tracks each.

btw, do we know whether the 5 tracks within a location actually look different/unique from each other? like does track A and track B in India looks unique or they look the same with just different layout? I can see some big backlash if they look very similar to another so you basically only have 5 different looking environment.

It's hard to deny that Driveclub on day one seems to not be the full package it needed to be. Dynamic weather alone can completely colour a different perception from a person playing the game.

dreamfall

All these beautiful GIFs in one post. I just can't take it!

Maybe a terrible question as I've been avoiding a lot of coverage to go in, semi-blind on this: Do our cars need to sport liveries? Also, in each race, are members of the Club choosing different cars? Kinda ridiculous, but that's how out of the loop I am! I am HYPED!

viveks86

Do our cars need to sport liveries?

They can but don't NEED to

Also, in each race, are members of the Club choosing different cars? Kinda ridiculous, but that's how out of the loop I am! I am HYPED!

Within a racing class, yes.

Semi-pro looked mighty challenging in the Sony stream yesterday. Good stuff.

Yeah. AI seem pretty brutal.

With that, I'm off to bed! Gnite Gaf!

Shaneus

It's hard to deny that Driveclub on day one seems to not be the full package it needed to be. Dynamic weather alone can completely colour a different perception from a person playing the game.
If DC didn't have weather, it would still feel complete as hell. I don't think many (if any) said FM5 was incomplete because of a lack of weather.

ValfarHL

I took the plunge and ordered a Thrustmaster 500RS and a Playseat Challenge. I can easily make a bracket for the gear changer at work. Does the game support clutch and manual gears? Not that it matters, cause I can't afford the game now, lol.

bombshell

I took the plunge and ordered a Thrustmaster 500RS and a Playseat Challenge. I can easily make a bracket for the gear changer at work. Does the game support clutch and manual gears? Not that it matters, cause I can't afford the game now, lol.

Manual gears, but not clutch support.

Korezo

I'm tempted to buy the t500rs but don't because it isnt a official ps4 wheel, don't know if itll work for all future ps4 racing games.

dwr budr

Banned
in the UK driveclub costs £34.99 on the PSN for digital download yet from the shops the price is between £42 and £50 is the digital download the same version? as usually digital download versions of full price games seem more expensive than their physical counterpart

Well, the T500RS doesn't even come with a shifter (unless you bought it from a store that bundled it). That's sold separately and costs $150 on its own. But the game does have manual transmission, but I very much doubt that it has clutch support.

Lemondish

There does seem to be a lot of negativity surrounding the gaming press when it comes to this game sadly. I also agree with others here in that I don't expect it to review highly due to the checklist nature of reviews these days. 70+ meta is where I'm sitting. Still gaffers playing already have given it praise and I also can't wait for it :)

The worst part about this is that, if you're right, we likely won't see anything but layoffs at Evolution from this game no matter how much fun it is. Which means probably no Mortorstorm or WipeOut.

Rodelero

in the UK driveclub costs £34.99 on the PSN for digital download yet from the shops the price is between £42 and £50 is the digital download the same version? as usually digital download versions of full price games seem more expensive than their physical counterpart

This is one of the rare times where, in the UK, it is worth going digital. Also, if you go to somewhere like cdkeys, you can get the £35 for more like £28-29.

ValfarHL

Manual gears, but not clutch support.

Thanks.

I'm tempted to buy the t500rs but don't because it isnt a official ps4 wheel, don't know if itll work for all future ps4 racing games.

What else is there? It's not like the Logitech wheels will get support. I will rage badly if the T500 doesn't work on future PS4 titles.
Maybe Rushy can tell us how much work it was to make the wheel work with Driveclub?

On another note, I don't need an active PS+ sub for the game to keep working after buying with the discount, right?
My PS+ is tied to my EU account, but the game costs $93 here, before the discount.
Could I get a cheap/free US PS+ trial, and buy the game there?

ValfarHL

Well, the T500RS doesn't even come with a shifter (unless you bought it from a store that bundled it). That's sold separately and costs $150 on its own. But the game does have manual transmission, but I very much doubt that it has clutch support.

I will buy the shifter later. I asked because if Driveclub supported it, that later would be today. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Can't justify the cost or space for a playseat, but I need some way to lock an office chair to a wheelstand pro. The WSP guys should come up with some kind of bracket that you can attach to the WSP and then put office chair castors in to stop them rolling backwards

bombshell

It's the same version, it's just the PS+ discount making it cheaper. I think the full price on the store without PS+ is actually a staggering £55.

What's the reason for no clutch support?

No idea sorry, just read it doesn't support it.

dwr budr

Banned
This is one of the rare times where, in the UK, it is worth going digital. Also, if you go to somewhere like cdkeys, you can get the £35 for more like £28-29.

it's strange when you go to the store, driveclub is on the front page and says from £49.99 and when you click it the next page has ps plus full upgrade £34.99 - just wondering if there was 2 different versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom