• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gestault

Yeah but it doesn't have to be ON throughout the entirety of the track, otherwise the player is virtually on rails.

I often find I get better time straying off the driving line, not cutting corners, just trusting my instincts and reflexes over what some robotic prediction tells me to do.

All the visual information you need is your car slamming into a fucking guard rail for you to realize you overshot it. lol

I'm posting a new video soon that will hopefully settle this argument. I shaved three seconds off my laptime just chasing ghosts and feeling the track, at times even ignoring the cornering lines.

I'm someone who thinks it's a great tool for learning, but that it's no replacement for raw skill or familiarity with a track. That's why I think it's important to have as part of the options in a racing title. I don't think what you're saying is at odds with that, but you're responding as though it were.

If the cornering challenges work like I've seen, the game's own scoring system seems to recognize that people will react differently given the same info.

I'd be fine with a driving line option for a "practice" mode where you can just do time trials on each track.

But it should be disabled in all competitive situations or anywhere that records will actually be recorded and saved.

v1lla21

BRING IT ON! #GAFCLUB FTW.

I really hope you are good at racing, because I'm pretty average! :p

EDIT:

Can't believe I called rewind mode as replay mode! O.O
Lol I'm somewhat good. None of my friends/ cousins beat me whether it's Mario kart, need for speed, or Forza. I'm sure there's plenty of better drivers on GAF though. We'll pull through as a team! :p

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
On that topic, this game has cornering challenges right? Are the points you score based on how quickly you traverse the corner or how closely you adhere to the driving line?

In other words, is the driving line a mechanic or a suggestion?

Definitely a mechanic, the faster you go on the line the more points you rack up against the other guy.

So in that regard, would having the option disabled automatically (if enabled) from level, say, 5 (if we're talking out of 50) be enough?

Prompting the player after some time spent with it turned on and offering a good initiative (score/experience/cash bonus) to turn it off would be great.

Putty

Lovely last 15 pages to wake up to. Great impressions. Not watched and don't intend to watch any streams! No drivers line, no fucking rewind feature...perfectly fine for me...I've never used them in other games. Just me and the road...nothing else, well 11 other nut cases 8). As far as reviews go I'm hopeful it will land smack on the 80% mark at least. You can see a lot of love and care have gone into it. It's a real shame weather won't make day 1 (secretly hoping for a day one surprise), but knowing it's not that far away is OK.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I'm someone who thinks it's a great tool for learning, but that it's no replacement for raw skill or familiarity with a track. That's why I think it's important to have as part of the options in a racing title. I don't think what you're saying is at odds with that, but you're responding as though it were.

If the cornering challenges work like I've seen, the game's own scoring system seems to recognize that people will react differently given the same info.

No, no I'm not disputing it as a good learning tool. It's good for understanding how momentum and apex of turn work. At the end of the day if you don't develop your own understanding of the track it doesn't matter how many arrows and lines you got pointing you in the right direction.

orochi91

Lovely last 15 pages to wake up to. Great impressions. Not watched and don't intend to watch any streams! No drivers line, no fucking rewind feature...perfectly fine for me...I've never used them in other games. Just me and the road...nothing else, well 11 other nut cases 8). As far as reviews go I'm hopeful it will land smack on the 80% mark at least. You can see a lot of love and care have gone into it. It's a real shame weather won't make day 1 (secretly hoping for a day one surprise), but knowing it's not that far away is OK.

Mid-80s is being way too optimistic. I'd say upper 70s is appropriate given the lack of weather, photo mode, and poor car selection.

viveks86

Guys, I'm glad that we have been sustaining interesting debates in here without turning this into some kind of war. How did that happen? Everyone that scared of Kagari? :p

red731

Fuck me sideways I want that Thrustmaster T500 RS
and another TV and Playseat to have all of these in dedicated racing room....

Yeah but it doesn't have to be ON throughout the entirety of the track, otherwise the player is virtually on rails.

Well, in my admittedly somewhat limited time spent watching novice players play driving games with the driving line turned on, I haven't once seen them try to stick to the driving line blindly. They will usually dance all around the track, and they will consult the driving line only if they're having a problem dealing with some nasty turn.

Of course, it's a tool, and as all tools, it can easily be abused.

For what it's worth, I like the flags system they use in DriveClub as well, at least in theory; it's very important to learn reading the trackside markers in proper racing sims.

Putty

Mid-80s is being way too optimistic. I'd say upper 70s is appropriate given the lack of weather, photo mode, and poor car selection.

I said 80% at least. Anything above would be a bonus. Terrible car choice? Something I've not read in the last 15 pages. Seems most people are fine with the selection now the game is in some gamers hands.

It seems like everybody like this game, but i'm sure that he is gonna have Ok/bad reviews ( even if it's a good game )

I really can't explain why...

orochi91

I said 80% at least. Anything above would be a bonus. Terrible car choice? Something I've not read in the last 15 pages. Seems most people are fine with the selection now the game is in some gamers hands.

The included cars are lovely. I'd just like to see Japanese cars in the game. I'm hopeful the DLC will have something for me.

It seems like everybody like this game, but i'm sure that he is gonna have Ok/bad reviews ( even if it's a good game )

I really can't explain why...

Probably the way Sony/Evo have handled this game since the delay is why there was much negativity. Reviews will be decent though.

I'm far more concerned with the critical reception Order 1886 will receive, but that's a topic for some other time.

That's what I'm expecting as well. Forza 5 was criticized a lot for its relative lack of content, and it was a launch title with plenty more content than DriveClub.

Scores don't matter as long as people know what they're getting themselves into.

BiGBoSSMk23

I was going to watch your last one and go to bed, and now you upload another. You sir, have ruined my life the past few days.

I'm going to bed too, I'm fucking exhausted

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution :D

ibogdJxSWNJTKA.gif

ColEx

Its so annoying not having much choices with force feedback wheels on the ps4 right now, i really want to play this with a wheel!

orochi91

Rushy said on twitter they are working on it as a free update. https://twitter.com/DRIVECLUB/status/517794132736360448

I know. That comment was part of a longer conversation that actually wasn't about replay mode :)

I seriously would not have minded if the game was delayed till late October-November.
So many features not ready for launch D':

Nobody wants a GT-R? I always want a GT-R :/

LFA > GT-R.

Fonds

GAF, help, I suck so hard at Driving Games.

This is the first time EVER (not counting Burnout) that I buy a driving game, I only know how to play Burnout because it screams Arcade, but other than that I suck.

I don't know exactly how to make turns properly, how to brake correctly, do I brake while I accelerate, do I "pump" the brakes?

I know how to drive IRL but I never had to wonder how to make a turn while going over 150km/h LOL.

Even though I suck, this game is great and I can see myself playing this a lot and I'll play even more as soon as I stop sucking hehehe.

EDIT: I also slam every other car that is running with me like this is Burnout, looks like I can get penalized for that LOL.

Some basics:

Racing lines.

- approach a corner from the outside, I.E lefthand turn is approached from the right side of the track.
- Steer into the corner to touch the apex of the corner from the inside. At this point you will want to accelerate again.
- Let the power of the car and natural flow of the track push you back to the outside of the corner you took.

Braking.

- Brake before the corners.
- Breaking in a corner messes up your racing line and causes over/understeer.

Accelerating.

- Ease on the throttle with powerful cars, immediately going flat out will spin the car when exiting corners.
- Start accelerating after the apex of a corner.
- After breaking for a corner you can apply a neutral throttle during the corners.

orochi91

Some basics:

Racing lines.

- approach a corner from the outside, I.E lefthand turn is approached from the right side of the track.
- Steer into the corner to touch the apex of the corner from the inside. At this point you will want to accelerate again.
- Let the power of the car and natural flow of the track push you back to the outside of the corner you took.

Braking.

- Brake before the corners.
- Breaking in a corner messes up your racing line and causes over/understeer.

Accelerating.

- Ease on the throttle with powerful cars, immediately going flat out will spin the car when exiting corners.
- Start accelerating after the apex of a corner.
- After breaking for a corner you can apply a neutral throttle during the corners.

Super helpful, book marking this post. Thanks!

Rant incoming... As someone who works in software development.. delays, missing features, cuts, features work in progress, feature loss.... Are the reality of developing software. As painful as it may be to a customer "user" who is emotionally/financially invested or dependent on the outcome of the development, all we can do is plan carefully, communicate consistently, apply the best possible technical vetting and estimate/work towards delivery dates based on the best possible assessment/assumptions we can make at the time.

To argue, "oh they had a year" misunderstands the reality of software development.

There is no certainty.

It is a creative process based on many variables and unknowns. Creating the weather system in drive club is building something completely new from scratch. There is design, r@d, development, testing, implementation, user feedback, iteration, change, more development, more testing etc...

If they were implementing a middleware solution, then yes, criticism of delays would be justified, but this is not the case.

If you want "certainty" in any form of game development, then invest your money and emotions into the annual retread of Fifa/cod, do not invest into new intellectual property where each facet is built from scratch, not mentioning the complexities added by a new software platform.

I would hope, with the recent stumbles by Apple and ios8, users would begin to understand even the best, largest, most well funded teams can and will make mistakes/miss targets/ when delivering software.

Putty

Rant incoming... As someone who works in software development.. delays, missing features, cuts, features work in progress, feature loss.... Are the reality of developing software. As painful as it may be to a customer "user" who is emotionally/financially invested or dependent on the outcome of the development, all we can do is plan carefully, communicate consistently, apply the best possible technical vetting and estimate/work towards delivery dates based on the best possible assessment/assumptions we can make at the time.

To argue, "oh they had a year" misunderstands the reality of software development.

There is no certainty.

It is a creative process based on many variables and unknowns. Creating the weather system in drive club is building something completely new from scratch. There is design, r@d, development, testing, implementation, user feedback, iteration, change, more development, more testing etc...

If they were implementing a middleware solution, then yes, criticism of delays would be justified, but this is not the case.

If you want "certainty" in any form of game development, then invest your money and emotions into the annual retread of Fifa/cod, do not invest into new intellectual property where each facet is built from scratch, not mentioning the complexities added by a new software platform.

I would hope, with the recent stumbles by Apple and ios8, users would begin to understand even the best, largest, most well funded teams can and will make mistakes/miss targets/ when delivering software.

+1

viveks86

Well said. Meanwhile, at IGN:

"They should have released it at last year even if it got rated a 6.0. I would have still bought it because I bought all launch games. Now with all the options out there, the game doesn't stand a chance. I have no fucking clue what the game is, but it doesn't stand a chance, because only 5 people sent me horrible emails when I was wrong about it last week"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pretty much every podcast I've listend to is super down on it after playing it. A good Tech Demo was thrown around by everyone.

i'm confused by that. Are they dismissing it because it is pretty and therefore must have no substance? It isn't even a game that takes very long to get a feel for the handling - a few races at EGX and I was already liking how it drove. Or are they just looking for a USP a like open world or anti gravity racing or something, and it being an 'ordinary' racer is getting it marked down?

Yes the crew has 'the entire US to drive around' but it is about as accurate to the actual US as pilotwings 64. Just because you have a US shaped map with a few well known cities and landmarks in roughly the right place doesn't make it the actual US. Like FH2, everything is tiny scale (I understand, for practical reasons) but they are pushing that point in all their marketing and nobody is even questioning it.

viveks86

It doesn't seem to increase the brightness of the environment enough for the car to actually notice it though,

Interesting effect though.

That depends on what the thresholds are. It goes from off to on based on an absolute threshold, not based on how relatively brighter it is.

seb

Banned
That depends on what the thresholds are. It goes from off to on based on an absolute threshold, not based on how relatively brighter it is.

Shouldn't it be the exact opposite though ? I don't understand what is going on here actually.

Dead Man

But it barely lights the environment and is a ways from the vehicle. If it is an accurate effect, I question the calibration used by the car manufacturer.

I was wondering, do we know if the car is balanced against each other within their class or are we going to have one car that is simply better than other resulting to everyone online only using that car?

viveks86

But it barely lights the environment and is a ways from the vehicle. If it is an accurate effect, I question the calibration used by the car manufacturer.

Can't argue with that. If you watched the segment that follows the GIF, the dashboard actually goes bonkers as more fireworks go off in quick succession.

Shouldn't it be the exact opposite though ? I don't understand what is going on here actually.

Check Gestault's and Bruiserbear's explanation somewhere on the previous page.

Found it:

Your car thinks the environment is brighter (imagine something like sunset) for a brief moment, so it makes the dashboard display brighter so it's easier to see. I mean sure, that wouldn't happen in real life (i.e. when headlights hit you at night), but it's a neat idea that the game systems are reacting to each other instead of just "daylight timer has hit [X] point and dash lights are turned "on."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's different for everyone. I actually love replay mode because when you have that "perfect" run or make some nice passes, it's really cool to watch it in a broadcast style presentation mode and just put the controller down for a few mins to sit down and marvel at what you just accomplished.

But I wouldn't call it "fundamental" as obviously the real core of any racing game is...the racing.

I love replay modes, even if I don't use them that often. I really needs carefully placed camera to track things though (as well as user selectable ones). FH2 is really disappointing in this regard - it only has cameras that look at your car from different angles, no tracking as it passes. I guess with the open world nature that might be difficult but it is a big shame, and finding good angles in a replay is tricky

bombshell

The no driving-line complaints earlier on are odd, because DriveClub does in fact have a driving aid tool. It's just not seen done before this way.

Green flag = minor, yellow = medium, red = severe turn.

Simple and intuitive and it's quite similar to turn indicators in rally games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't see the difference between a full driving line and a breaking line. It's still telling you when to hit the breaks, which turns it into a game of simon. You should learn the tracks. The game tells you when you are coming up on hard, medium, and light turns. Don't you know / don't you want to learn what that means for each car you're in in terms of speed you can take a turn?

I don't understand the complaint really. You'll have to redo races until you learn the tracks? Isn't that how we used to learn how to play racing games? I don't see how that's incredibly dumb.

I both agree and disagree. In days of yore, you're progress fairly linearly through cars, starting with slower ones and then getting faster and faster. So you'd learn a track and it's braking points, then in your new faster car you'd notice you need to brake a bit earlier, and the earlier still and so on. It was a natural learning experience.

But these days you're chopping and changing between massively different car classes because God forbid anyone might get bored driving the same car twice, so it makes those adjustments difficult. Then add in the current trend for real world tracks with their pointless meandering designed to make you feel like a speed demon without any skill required and it just feels like racing games aren't structured in a way to encourage or help you learn tracks anymore.

DC does feel like it might be a bit more learnable, and the smaller number of cars might help with that too. Fingers crossed anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom