• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Merun

For the second time in 2 days, I had the game crash immediately upon completing a race with the error code CE-34878-0. What the fuck!

That was a really good run that is now gone forever. I suspect it has something to do with the way it connects to the internet, because when it happened last night and I restarted the game, it said that it had trouble connecting to the Driveclub servers for a while.

If that's the case, fuck it. I'll disable the networking while I play. I'll be god damned if single player is fucked up due to networking issues.

Actually, I had 3 crashes since the patch. 2 of them was when I tried to get into my night/snow challenge ( which I could a few hours earlier ), and I don't remember the reason for the third time. I just sent report for now.

And just looked at their twitter:

https://twitter.com/DRIVECLUB/status/542426716837142528

Problem with challenges it seems.

All of the event leaderboards should be class-wide, unless the event has car selected restricted even further. As for Hot Hatch events showing Hyper cars in the leaderboards... that's a bug. :x

The Putre Challenge event in the Driveclub Tour is for Sports cars. The #1 time for it in the leaderboards is someone who drove a BAC Mono.

Shaneus

ibsoQx0CBByjFf.gif

Oh, wait, you mean the Ariel Atom? Yeah, I spend more time counter-steering than steering in that pocket rocket.

I can change almost anything... but I can't change that vehicle's slippery nature.
Pro-tip: Know how sometimes to regain control around corners you shift into a lower gear to reduce speed? Do the opposite in the Atom, so it reduces the torque applied to the wheels... so if you're fishtailing around a particular corner, shift into third if you're in second (for example). Once I worked that out, it was SO much more fun to drive. Might not be the quickest way to drive the car, but like I said, it was enough to get us near enough to the top on a few club challenges!

They are harder. Relevant tweet:
https://twitter.com/DRIVECLUB/status/541019456106139648

Hardest for me was the X-Bow events, both the time trial and the race. The time trial has that double hairpin where I'm too slow. The race has the last lap at night and you see nothing so you slow down a tiny bit...
The X-Bow event I managed to three-star was a cunt. Fucker seems rock-solid on flat land, but once it gets a little off-camber and you try to take a corner, the thing just gets too damn twitchy. I think my hands begin to shake if I haven't spun out in one for the majority of a race/lap.

Edit: Has anyone managed to drive the new Ferrari? It said MP only so I found a race that was Hyper-exclusive, but I couldn't even see it on the selection screen :/

Pro-tip: Know how sometimes to regain control around corners you shift into a lower gear to reduce speed? Do the opposite in the Atom, so it reduces the torque applied to the wheels... so if you're fishtailing around a particular corner, shift into third if you're in second (for example). Once I worked that out, it was SO much more fun to drive. Might not be the quickest way to drive the car, but like I said, it was enough to get us near enough to the top on a few club challenges!
Will do. And I definitely appreciate the pro-tips.

Thought I was a pretty decent driver until the challenges hit proper, and attempting and failing some of those times (some by five seconds or more) has been humbling. Still fun as all hell, win or lose, but with a heaping spoonful of humble. I've still got plenty to learn.

The X-Bow event I managed to three-star was a cunt. Fucker seems rock-solid on flat land, but once it gets a little off-camber and you try to take a corner, the thing just gets too damn twitchy. I think my hands begin to shake if I haven't spun out in one for the majority of a race/lap.
Been working on that one too. Its that one tight s-curve up the hill that does me in. Alone, I can handle it, pushing a straight line through them and hitting the brakes before the left hand curves too far in, but doing that while in traffic - AI cars in front and behind, its so easy for the tiniest thing to send you spinning right into the fence and losing any chance at first place. That's been rough, but its been a fun track to learn. Outside of the two hairpins you can put the hammer down for almost the entire track.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Is it just me or are the Ignition and Photo Finish tours harder than the original? They're kicking my ass.

Photo Finish I didn't have much of a problem with. I almost got all the stars in one go, except that one Speed faceoff in the second race of the championship. (Got it the next night)

Ignition on the other hand.... kicking my ass and my balls.

Shaneus

Will do. And I definitely appreciate the pro-tips.

Thought I was a pretty decent driver until the challenges hit proper, and attempting and failing some of those times (some by five seconds or more) has been humbling. Still fun as all hell, win or lose, but with a heaping spoonful of humble. I've still got plenty to learn.
I only discovered that trick last night. Realised that downshifting was only causing me to spin out more. If that's too hard to initiate, just take the corners at a gear higher than you normally would.

Been working on that one too. Its that one tight s-curve up the hill that does me in. Alone, I can handle it, pushing a straight line through them and hitting the brakes before the left hand curves too far in, but doing that while in traffic - AI cars in front and behind, its so easy for the tiniest thing to send you spinning right into the fence and losing any chance at first place. That's been rough, but its been a fun track to learn. Outside of the two hairpins you can put the hammer down for almost the entire track.
I know there were a few X-Bow events so I don't know if we're talking about the same one or not, but there was a particular one where the AI were just too aggressive (but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way). Only way to win was to get in front and just pound out the clean laps (I think I ended up getting that first-place star by finishing 2 or 3 seconds in front), which means the game is forcing you to be stronger mentally and not lose your cool in some stupid fashion. I love that it does that via single-player events *and* challenges.

I don't ever feel like I'm getting worse as a driver. Every event in every car I learn some little nuance that I didn't know before, and I love it. The cars are a world to explore unto themselves.

What's up with MP? Every time I join an event I only get 2-3 people in my lobby. Then, once the race starts and I get a decent lead on them they just disconnect and I finish the race alone.

Anyone else having a similar experience? Sucks :(

kyser73

I'm glad I'm not the only one being ass-kicked by Ignition.

Am I alone in finding the Twin-Run to be the most amusing rollerskate ever? It's hysterically good fun to throw around, and is a bot of a pocket rocket too.

The Caterham and X-Bow are now duelling in my heart with the BAC Mono looking on nervously about losing its place as my favourite car...

I've finally played this game again today for the first time since close to launch (in which I only played for a little bit), at a friend's place. Had a good several hours with it. This game is good. Really damn good.

The sound design is amazing. The graphics (with and without weather) are the best of any game I've ever seen, on console or PC. The tracks and environments are huge and insanely detailed. The car models are the best in the business as well. Evo should be proud. Most importantly, though, the driving/racing is fun as hell. I really love the way the physics/handling feels.

I was able to play online for the most part, but there were a few times where we couldn't connect. Other than that, everything about this game is superb, in my opinion. I only wish there was more car customization.

Shaneus

I'm glad I'm not the only one being ass-kicked by Ignition.

Am I alone in finding the Twin-Run to be the most amusing rollerskate ever? It's hysterically good fun to throw around, and is a bot of a pocket rocket too.

The Caterham and X-Bow are now duelling in my heart with the BAC Mono looking on nervously about losing its place as my favourite car...
I'm still not entirely sold on the X-Bow. It's nowhere near stable enough IMO for it to be fun. Losing it on tight corners in the Atom at least feels like you could've done something to prevent it... the X-Bow just feels like it does it for shits and giggles.

I will say it sort of sucks that you can send challenges to people who can't use those cars. I got 4 challenges tonight and excited to try them out only to discover I can't use any of the cars required for them because I haven't unlocked them yet. Kinda a bummer.

Shaneus

I will say it sort of sucks that you can send challenges to people who can't use those cars. I got 4 challenges tonight and excited to try them out only to discover I can't use any of the cars required for them because I haven't unlocked them yet. Kinda a bummer.
You should play the game more, then!

benzy

Guys... Evo modeled a whole freaking city in Canada right under our noses. Rushy, Viveks.. please tell me there's more to this than just a backdrop...

qyidog.jpg

eddcan.jpg

otrczh.jpg

jfvija.jpg

holy crap I am cursed with digital purchase issues and driveclub

I tried to activate the ignition pack and it directed me to the store. It shows up as purchased. And in my library/addons, but nothing in the download history (nothing downloaded).

in game it still shows a blue checkout basket. Yes after quit/restart and restore licenses.

in library -> driveclub it shows in addons and no download icon can be selected..

in store all addons show purchased except season pass.

what to do.

holy crap I am cursed with digital purchase issues and driveclub

I tried to activate the ignition pack and it directed me to the store. It shows up as purchased. And in my library/addons, but nothing in the download history (nothing downloaded).

in game it still shows a blue checkout basket. Yes after quit/restart and restore licenses.

in library -> driveclub it shows in addons and no download icon can be selected..

in store all addons show purchased except season pass.

what to do.

Quite a few people seem to be having this issue. Make sure your PS4 is set as primary and try restarting it. That's all I've got :S

Wait...you can't downshift without holding the brakes?
Come on, really?

I think it's some kind of whacked-out, RPM-based assist to prevent people from downshifting when they "shouldn't," but this is the first racing game I've ever played that had this "feature." I hate it.

If I'm in 4th gear, and I want to be in 2nd, I can't simply double-tap downshift; I have to hit the brakes and keep downshifting until I'm in the gear I want. It could take anywhere from 4 to 6 button presses, and it's actually impossible to do so quickly and accurately without possibly downshifting more than I intended.

I have no idea why they implemented downshifting in this way, but I hate it.

Quite a few people seem to be having this issue. Make sure your PS4 is set as primary and try restarting it. That's all I've got :S

the only option is to deactivate (as primary)
so it says it is primary.

rebooted - yes
restored licenses - yes
gone to library and store - yes
tried from web psn, to queue for download - hangs

There is a real issue with psn digital license handling/store/checkout/game/authentication somewhere in that mess anyway.

aparisi2274

Need some help here. I booted up Driveclub tonight and proceeded to download all the free stuff they were offering in the store, and when I tried to download the "Ignition Pack" it gave me the following error code: E-82000102, which if I look up on Playstation support site it says something about adding funds to a sub account????

Anyone else have issues downloading this item??

Shaneus

I just had a thought... if you find a particularly good looking scenario (for example, Mono at night around Wester Ross and pissing down rain) and you want to share it, just create a challenge. How fucking cool is that?

I think it's some kind of whacked-out, RPM-based assist to prevent people from downshifting when they "shouldn't," but this is the first racing game I've ever played that had this "feature." I hate it.

If I'm in 4th gear, and I want to be in 2nd, I can't simply double-tap downshift; I have to hit the brakes and keep downshifting until I'm in the gear I want. It could take anywhere from 4 to 6 button presses, and it's actually impossible to do so quickly and accurately without possibly downshifting more than I intended.

I have no idea why they implemented downshifting in this way, but I hate it.
Oh good, I thought I was seeing things or something! More often than not I'd downshift to drop speed and find that I couldn't. You've answered my question.

Hopefully it'll get patched out, I don't know why it would've been left in... doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would trip up people who are using manuals. Unless there's a manufacturer clause in there saying "we do not allow downshifting in our cars at X RPM or higher".

I just had a thought... if you find a particularly good looking scenario (for example, Mono at night around Wester Ross and pissing down rain) and you want to share it, just create a challenge. How fucking cool is that?

Oh good, I thought I was seeing things or something! More often than not I'd downshift to drop speed and find that I couldn't. You've answered my question.

Hopefully it'll get patched out, I don't know why it would've been left in... doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would trip up people who are using manuals. Unless there's a manufacturer clause in there saying "we do not allow downshifting in our cars at X RPM or higher".

The rule seems to even apply to hot hatches, though.

And I just had my last session end with another crash after driving my ass off. I think I might just wait out the next patch or something.

Why didn't anyone mention that this was a thing in all those "omg new weather patch is so good" posts? This is horrible.

crispyben

I still can't make "Unbeatable" ping, and from what I see on Twitter, I'm not the only one... I've sent more than 10 challenges which were attempted but not beaten before they expired, but it seems the servers are still acting up and preventing the information from getting to the right places :( I restarted both the game and the console several times, to no avail. I'll keep trying tomorrow, and it's no big deal in the end, but it still bothers me. Anyone in the same boat? Any advice? Rushy?

EDIT: also, I get game crashes since the last update, Error CE-34878-0, and my update history's still stuck at 1.04.

Guys... Evo modeled a whole freaking city in Canada right under our noses. Rushy, Viveks.. please tell me there's more to this than just a backdrop...

jfvija.jpg

Those are some big-ass houses on the left, between the aparment buildings.

- edit -
But sure, some city tracks would be nice. Please don't make JPN only about city courses though, pretty please.

I want to play HUDless, but I need to know sector times and how well I'm doing. It's a shame there's no view that just has that and nothing else at all.

PS. Challenges have been the cause of a loss of sleep already, and that's without weather affecting them. I can't commit to doing any that are more than two minutes, though. I prefer the instant feedback of nailing a tight lap and trying to improve it. Our club came first in one and second in another only yesterday, thanks to my mastery of the Atom.

I saw you set some crazy drift score with the new Renault too, looked like something happened in your first corner that I couldn't come close to!

Nyx

I want to play HUDless, but I need to know sector times and how well I'm doing. It's a shame there's no view that just has that and nothing else at all.

After the first lap/try you are seeing your last ghost anyway, so you will know if you did better than the lap/try before.

I don't miss any HUD element at all during racing.

Shaneus

I saw you set some crazy drift score with the new Renault too, looked like something happened in your first corner that I couldn't come close to!
Remember that glitch I mentioned a page or two (or maybe more) back? Yeah, that was the one I got that score on. Given it was a glitch, I really didn't make the most of it :(

Only got me #5 in the world, too :/

regarding unusable dlc
evolution studio told me to check dlc matches region of disc, and account

evidently if disc is eu but account/store/dlc is usa, it wont work.

Unfortunately I dont think this is my issue as other dlc for driveclub seems ok, only Ignition doesnt hook up.

viveks86

regarding unusable dlc
evolution studio told me to check dlc matches region of disc, and account

evidently if disc is eu but account/store/dlc is usa, it wont work.

Unfortunately I dont think this is my issue as other dlc for driveclub seems ok, only Ignition doesnt hook up.

Hey weren't you the one who could never connect to the server? Is that resolved now?

leng jai

Anyone finding DriveClub really enjoyable via remote play? The game design is essentially perfect for quick 2-3 race sessions, and the game plays almost flawlessly on the Vita due to minimal controls required. Of course the game looks absolutely stunning on Vita and it's already 30FPS anyway, so no downgrade there. I had trouble playing NFS: Rivals due to the ridiculous amounts of incoming traffic (which is tough to see on a small screen) but I'm loving this.

Hey weren't you the one who could never connect to the server? Is that resolved now?
yeah
the digital copy never connected.
Evolution studios sent me a disc in the mail gratis, as a solution, and of course that worked fine. So it was some licensing issue lost in the complexity of psn and beyond the ability of support to debug.
disc works great but now digital (one dlc) has tripped me up again.

viveks86

yeah
the digital copy never connected.
Evolution studios sent me a disc in the mail gratis, as a solution, and of course that worked fine. So it was some licensing issue lost in the complexity of psn and beyond the ability of support to debug.
disc works great but now digital (one dlc) has tripped me up again.

Damn. That's some tough luck right there :/

AndyD

aka andydumi
Oh wow, had a dark night full snow Norway P2P challenge race last night. Impossible to see anything more than 10 feet ahead. Incredibly tense and terrifying, but so satisfying to get a decent time on it.

Honestly though, I can't say conditions like that add much to the game, as it's near unplayable as a regular thing. There's a reason real races don't take place in those conditions and it's immediately apparent once you go over 50mph.

garyBig

Eurogamer gave The Crew an 8 just now. Same reviewer who awarded SoullessClub with a 6. Well, I don't know but I guess I'm officially over games journalism now when it comes to purchase decisions. This is just utter madness.

Nyx

Eurogamer gave The Crew an 8 just now. Same reviewer who awarded SoullessClub with a 6. Well, I don't know but I guess I'm officially over games journalism now when it comes to purchase decisions. This is just utter madness.

Just read the review, it's utter madness indeed....

Top Bottom