• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

If I already would not have named Alien: Isolation as my GOTY, I would give it to Driveclub. New-gen graphics coupled with old-school challenge, and arcade besting, and I am in heaven. I really like having a full club and getting fame updates, too. My club members are awesome, as well. They all pull their weight (SolidChamp needs to get busy though!) and some are better than me, which is great.

I know this is stupid, and strange, but I should have paid full price for this game. It is so worth it.

Ivan

I just tried the game...

Handling is so good, easy to learn, difficult to master if I'm feeling it right. I became a little rusty for this type of racing games, but I think this is the good way to get back.

It looks beautiful, maybe a little soft for my taste (didn't see that in videos), but it's very nice.

The whole package is little bland in presentation and atmosphere though , but they got the most important parts right.

Any tips for a newcomer? :)

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
http://shaderhacker.com/?p=182

This is a new guy at B3D, it seems he was banned here for calling people ps4 fanboys. Now he has a blog and he bought DC to use his powers of observation to knock it down a peg. Of course he has made numerous errors and was called out on B3D already.

viveks86

The more I drive in this the more I'm wondering why the big auto makers aren't licensing a similar software package to let us virtually drive the new lineups? That would be pretty sweet. Probably not worth the cost but I think it'd be pretty sweet especially the higher end stuff I couldn't afford in rl anyway.

Because it doesn't give the manufacturers any ROI. Selling software like that requires not just development, but marketing, publishing etc, which is a whole different industry. Anyone considering buying it is going to need more than simulation. People not gonna buy it are not on their radar anyway. Their biggest revenue potential lies in revenue through royalties, where their risk and work required is minimal. So it's up to third parties to come up with such software packages.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
is there any way to download ghosts?

PSN: Tetsuo3000

I can always use more motivation :D

I love this game by the way. I am glad I waited to get it though. I was going to get a PS4 forthis when i came out but I held off and get the sick bundle on top of the game apparently being a lot better now.

Ferr986

Well, just got this game for Christmas. I'm actually enjoying it a lot.

Nothing prepares you to how awesome it looks. Seriously, watching Youtube vids its not enough.

But pass that, the game is pretty fun. Tour mode isnt bad at all, and I love the little challenges that pop ups sometimes during a race.

Handle is pretty cool so far too, loving the feel of Compact and Sport cars. My only problem so far is that I cant drive at all anything above Sport tier. Super cars feels like trying to control a raging bull lol Guess Im gonna need to practice a lot.

SZips

Just received the game for Christmas and while I can't connect to PSN and subsequently the Club part of the game right now, I will ask this: Is there a general GAF Club out there? Or is it just kind of a free for all, join whichever club you want deal?

Just received the game for Christmas and while I can't connect to PSN and subsequently the Club part of the game right now, I will ask this: Is there a general GAF Club out there? Or is it just kind of a free for all, join whichever club you want deal?

The latter. Though if you start a club, you need one other member to activate it.

Got this game for Christmas. Decided to try getting into a non-Mario Kart racing game for the first time in a very long time. The only other racing game I've really played in the last decade was Burnout 3. Really liking the game so far even though I suck at it. I tried driving in the cockpit view but I kept having trouble seeing the track and have to do it from behind the car. Once PSN comes up I'll join a club and see how that effects the game.

leng jai

The Elements tour is pretty great. Played the first 4 events and am having a little trouble with 3 starring the first one. Was tired after Xmas festivities so I didn't try too many times.

benzy

http://shaderhacker.com/?p=182

This is a new guy at B3D, it seems he was banned here for calling people ps4 fanboys. Now he has a blog and he bought DC to use his powers of observation to knock it down a peg. Of course he has made numerous errors and was called out on B3D already.

Ah yes, as soon as I read the beginning comments I knew it was VFX_Veteran on neogaf, lol. I don't get how the guy has experience in film visual effects and still completely misses the mark with parts of his analysis. He also complains about the road-side people reflections on the road, but yet considers Assassin's Creed Unity as the best graphics ever even though it has zero people reflections anywhere in comparison. A lot of his other complaints for DC are either wrong (lack of foliage detail, paint shaders don't show speckles, sparks, smoke, aliasing looks worse in motion than in screenshots - wtf?) or it applies to ACU as well (bad LOD in the distance)

If he's reading this then he can see the amount of smoke rendering is fine.

rpruzk.gif

VanWinkle

I got a Hori PS4 steering wheel today for Christmas from my fiancee (I know it's not the most top of the line thing in the world, but it's the only one I've ever had and I'm incredibly grateful). It initially took me awhile to get used to this control scheme, but my brother (who hasn't played this game before) and I just played some Canada track on time trial for like two hours trying to beat each other, watching the other's ghost as it gets behind us a little and then in front of us. We were just laughing, getting competitive, marveling at the visuals and constantly going back and forth shaving the lap time down just a tiny bit each time.

That was a really fun experience and I can't wait to play more with the wheel and get better.

viveks86

is there any way to download ghosts?

PSN: Tetsuo3000

I can always use more motivation :D

I love this game by the way. I am glad I waited to get it though. I was going to get a PS4 forthis when i came out but I held off and get the sick bundle on top of the game apparently being a lot better now.

Add PSN: DRIVECLUB-GAF and any/all of its friends. You should have more than enough ghosts to compete with :)

Something I hope they add is the option to turn off damage. From the little I've played it doesn't seem to effect gameplay and it'd give me more opportunities to take good screenshots. Also an option to turn off the wipers.

marcincz

Guys, any tips how to beat Professional Trophy on 28 lvl? I tried almost 1 h, yesterday using Ferrari, but I could't reach RUF's and Mclaren. Should I grind EXP and try later better car or try harder with this Ferrari?

SerTapTap

Something I hope they add is the option to turn off damage. From the little I've played it doesn't seem to effect gameplay and it'd give me more opportunities to take good screenshots. Also an option to turn off the wipers.

Both would be nice (IRL I'm very picky about putting on my wipers). Damage is definitely cosmetic only, it's fine normally but annoying for photos.

chadskin

Guys, any tips how to beat Professional Trophy on 28 lvl? I tried almost 1 h, yesterday using Ferrari, but I could't reach RUF's and Mclaren. Should I grind EXP and try later better car or try harder with this Ferrari?

Your in-game EXP or anything doesn't have any influence on how easy/hard a race, or races, in the Tour is, neither does your driver level. Give the race(s) a try with the McLaren, as far as I remember it's comparatively easy to win with it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm surprised they didn't put The Crew at the top of the list considering how much their were hyped for it.

Probably because they realized how bad it is.

The always on-line, the terrible handling...

New events are kicking my ass. The puddle + the sun shine keeps fucking me up in one race. I damn near go blind hah.

Got my plat!

I'm nearly close to this, I just need to get the 5 solo challenges and then grind out the last event accolade, which is a total bitch.

PSN down here so makes it an ideal time to do the new tour events... Only I waited to buy the season pass as I knew I was getting some PSN credit for Xmas... Goddamn it :-(

Anyway here's a vid from xmas eve just before everything went off - my fav car online in a thunderstorm and heavy rain, got to love drifting that first bend and 160mph wheelies :)

http://youtu.be/qijRy_y9Glg

marcincz

Your in-game EXP or anything doesn't have any influence on how easy/hard a race, or races, in the Tour is, neither does your driver level. Give the race(s) a try with the McLaren, as far as I remember it's comparatively easy to win with it.

I tried once again and...1 place in overall. I took...BAC Mono. What a great car.

Got this on Christmas Eve and I'm so sucked into it. It's pitched exactly where I want a racer to be (not too arcade, not too sim). Pity about the PSN issues. I got a chance for 1 race and to mess around with some challenge stuff though.

Am I better trying to start my own club or trying to join someone else's from here?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Got this on Christmas Eve and I'm so sucked into it. It's pitched exactly where I want a racer to be (not too arcade, not too sim). Pity about the PSN issues. I got a chance for 1 race and to mess around with some challenge stuff though.

Am I better trying to start my own club or trying to join someone else's from here?

Try to join someone else's club.

You need at least 2 people to be in a club before you can start earning club fame and unlocking the cars. If you get into one at a high enough level, you'll have all the cars unlocked. Like the BAC Mono and the Zonda R.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I am seriously still happy that I 3 starred that elements time trial. Fuck I must have restarted at least 50 times, probably way more. I beat it by over a second that last time. I wanted to get up and rip my shirt off like Hulk Hogan I was so hyped up.

Ivan

I'm starting to get a bit frustrated. Guess I'm used to arcadey racing games too much. I'll have to learn to love games like this again.

I want to, but it's challenging. It really needs practice.

Having a game about a actual RACING is refreshing for me after all those open world stuff and concepts like nfs rivals.

Pure racing, but not too hard core sim (ok, it is at the moment :) .

I am seriously still happy that I 3 starred that elements time trial. Fuck I must have restarted at least 50 times, probably way more. I beat it by over a second that last time. I wanted to get up and rip my shirt off like Hulk Hogan I was so hyped up.

Yes! That's what makes the game so rewarding, you didn't grind a load of money and upgrade your car to beat the challenge, you just improved your skill until you beat it. Driveclub makes you a better driver cos there are no crutches to lean on, just realistic challenges to meet. I get the same feeling from the challenges that people send me if I beat them, because some of them you don't feel like you've got a prayer when you first try them.

benzy

PSN down here so makes it an ideal time to do the new tour events... Only I waited to buy the season pass as I knew I was getting some PSN credit for Xmas... Goddamn it :-(

Anyway here's a vid from xmas eve just before everything went off - my fav car online in a thunderstorm and heavy rain, got to love drifting that first bend and 160mph wheelies :)

http://youtu.be/qijRy_y9Glg

Nice vid. The little hill slope causing wheelies on that track always gets me. :p

I have to say, this is a first for me. First I flipped sideways, then end over end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FW_ZsXbyQw

Lol, nice flip. The crash/roll over physics are actually really good in this game. Looks like the suspensions even gave the car a little bounce at the end.

Nice. It's why I live this game.

I recieved this game for Christmas. Damn it's so good! Ive never felt so in control of a car in a racing game and the immersion is incredible. I've gotten frustrated at a couple of the events but I never feel like my loses are unfair. I usually make a stupid mistake like braking slightly too hard or not hard enough. The graphics are as expected...amazing.

I haven't had this much fun playing a racing game since the first Need For Speed Underground (one of my favorite racers). So good.

leng jai

I recieved this game for Christmas. Damn it's so good! Ive never felt so in control of a car in a racing game and the immersion is incredible. I've gotten frustrated at a couple of the events but I never feel like my loses are unfair. I usually make a stupid mistake like braking slightly too hard or not hard enough. The graphics are as expected...amazing.

I haven't had this much fun playing a racing game since the first Need For Speed Underground (one of my favorite racers). So good.

Tried Hyper class yet?

desu

Is it me or this friggin AI is trying to kick me out of the road lol

Haha, the AI is pretty awesome. In some instances I could have sworn real players are playing because the AI just tries to get me off the street like a real player would.

witness

Got this for Christmas, wish I could enjoy it with the online social features. As it is now, I can't even access certain vehicles because I'm not connected online. That sucks. The actual gameplay though, I love. Cant wait for PSN to be working again so I can buy the season pass and see what Driveclub is really like.

Ferr986

Haha, the AI is pretty awesome. In some instances I could have sworn real players are playing because the AI just tries to get me off the street like a real player would.

lol yeah its prettty fun but it makes me feel like Im playing Dark Souls Racing Edition lol

I got stuck for a while in the Italian performance championship. . Game doesnt really feel frustrating because its always me fucking it but damn its hard. And intense. Going +270 mph at night in those tiny roads is scary. I was so tense that my back hurts now lol

Top Bottom