• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Vaga

Props to kie25 whoever you are, this guy is absolutely killing the evo challenges. Impressive to see how much of a difference a wheel makes, you really can't compete on a DS4.

the game is so good up until youre driving super/hyper cars.. The game is shit when you have to restart a level 10-20 times because the handling is way too fucking twitchy. Fuck this game.

Vaga

the game is so good up until youre driving super/hyper cars.. The game is shit when you have to restart a level 10-20 times because the handling is way too fucking twitchy. Fuck this game.

Yep, sucking hard at something surely is frustrating. You could improve but if it's still hard there's always a Mario Kart waiting for you.

Skii

You're struggling with super cars? They aren't twitchy at all. If anything, that is probably the best class for the casual gamer as you still get the immense speed without the difficult handling of the hyper cars.

It's clear you never learnt to play the game in the previous classes and now that you are required to actually pay attention whilst driving, you are struggling. I'd say keep at it when you aren't having a meltdown. It'll probably "click"...eventually.

Yep, sucking hard at something surely is frustrating. You could improve but if it's still hard there's always a Mario Kart waiting for you.

I was frustrated over the Lykan Hot Lap.. I kept finishing at 1:19:07 and every lap was closer but I just never got below it. Did it again and somehow I finally managed. Still think the handling and the objectives are getting in the way of enjoying the game.

Vaga

I was frustrated over the Lykan Hot Lap.. I kept finishing at 1:19:07 and every lap was closer but I just never got below it. Did it again and somehow I finally managed. Still think the handling and the objectives are getting in the way of enjoying the game.

What you consider difficult other people find it easy, mostly people who love a challenge. Did you check the best times on the leaderboards?

Why should the game be easier because of individuals like you who can't "afford" to practice and actually get better at something?

lordxar

The supers were about the limit of my being able to control the car and still do well. I had like zero hyper stars a week or so back. So I started driving the Venom on single events as well as trying the various hyper car tour events daily and now I'm able to not only stay on the road but also get stars. It's slow going but stick with it. From hatch to super there is a natural progression. Once hypers hit their not only a massive spike in difficulty to handle you also won't have as much experience in them compared to the other cars since the hyper challenges come so late.

CozMick

Banned

I finally got a 1:18:999 last night, I almost passed out lol.

IKizzLE

O boi at that final Elements race. Can't wait to hear the complaints in this board.

All in all, both dlc tours were fun, elements more so. Didn't notice a spike in difficulty anywhere except the drift challenges. Man, the drifting was rough in this dlc. Was not a fan.

Siegmeyer

Not meaning to sound offensive, but get better. You're not being gentle enough with the throttle I would wager. Your complaint basically reads like, "this game is great when it's not very challenging, but when I'm forced to improve my technique to handle the top-end cars it's shit". Why are gamers so goddamn impatient in this day and age? What's so bad about mastering a game to overcome the toughest content?

Fair enough if you're not enjoying them, but that doesn't equate to the game being shit all of a sudden, and it's insulting to suggest so.

My first attempt at Venom Hot Lap 2 was 1:38 (3 star time is 1:20) and I was twitching all over the place. 2nd attempt was 1:35. Gave up and came back to it another time. After about and hour I am now at 1:20.16. The difference? I am accelerating way more gradually out of the corners and reducing twitch and slippage. And now that fine throttle control has made me a much better driver overall.

Merun

Props to kie25 whoever you are, this guy is absolutely killing the evo challenges. Impressive to see how much of a difference a wheel makes, you really can't compete on a DS4.

kie25 uploaded his lap time with the F1, using a T500RS manual gears.
http://youtu.be/4PspA1VHwho

Myself I'm just at 1:20:xxx. I'm losing so much time on the second section. Guy just eat the borders of the curves and keep a lot more speed. But yeah, he is amazingly good.

O boi at that final Elements race. Can't wait to hear the complaints in this board.

That final race was the easiest imo since I nailed it on the first try. However, complains already started.

sneaky77

So far I have been able to get three stars in every event I have tried, including dlc.. but yes some events are challenging and have taken me a good amount of repetition, I think the dezir drift event took me over an hr of constantly repeating it until I got it.. is part of the challenge and getting better and improving.

I think it was suggested that maybe evo should lower the stars required to unlock further events so people can see all the tours.. but all games get harder as it goes along, and sometimes it's ok to not have that got everything done at the first try and have to get better at the game, specially since cars noticeably drive differently.

Im stuck on Best of the British. Neither the Bentley tank to shove fools out of the way or spry Lotus is helping. N

Is this the Best of British in the Amateur Tour? If so, that took me forever to beat the time star... Played like ten times in a row yesterday, never even got close to beating it, quit, played some drift challenges, and thought "'I'll play it one more time before I stop." Beat it on my first return run. lol Oh, with the Bentley.

We're keenly aware of the effort people have put in, myself included (403/405 right now), and we want to make sure we keep everyone happy in future updates.

I don't want to see the difficulty reduced. I suck now, but one day I'll get better and beating those trials will feel like an accomplishment. And not like I called my mom to come help me fight the meanies.

Challenge accepted and beaten. Your turn. B-)

Nice! I hope there is still time left. EDIT: Dammit! Time expired. You win, this round.

Kie25 eats corners for breakfast. Just wow.

Myself I'm just at 1:20:xxx. I'm losing so much time on the second section. Guy just eat the borders of the curves and keep a lot more speed. But yeah, he is amazingly good.

That final race was the easiest imo since I nailed it on the first try. However, complains already started.

Ah ah Ah .. the way he took those corners ...

*Bow*

Yeah i'm not at this level yet.

You know , i've seen people hit that barrier and i always tell them , go back to the earlier race , polish your driving and try again .
When i struggle on a challenge , i let it go , do something else and get back to it later , always worked so far.
The cars are more powerfull so they need more care when you handle them , simple as that.

Jeez that's quick, it's getting the balance right of enough kerb to straighten the line & maintain speed whilst not get too much - doing that in the wet at those kind of speeds needs a lot of accuracy. Yeah I don't want to be defeatist but I very much doubt I'll be able to match that on my DS4 - Rushy, any chance of adding an icon to the leaderboard showing if the time was set with a wheel or DS4?

Annecdotally, I think the weather patch has put DC on the radar of some of the PC Sim gamers who were put off initially by the wheel compatibility issues.

Vaga

Yeah I don't want to be defeatist but I very much doubt I'll be able to match that on my DS4

I'm sure you won't :) I can shave about .5 sec off my time if I nail every corner but still that would leave another second to make up. You can't have the same precision steering with a DS4 especially in the wet.

I'm sure you won't :) I can shave about .5 sec off my time if I nail every corner but still that would leave another second to make up. You can't have the same precision steering with a DS4 especially in the wet.
You're a wheel user too then?

Watching kie's videos I can really see areas where the advantages come from over a DS4, gives you just that little bit finer control over everything that gives you stability when you need it most. Someone buy me a wheel.

Still, happy to be breaking into the top 10 on these things anyway!

Engine/driving sounds are really good, music is very lacking - by default its mixed so quietly you can barely hear it. I wouldn't say I'd like to hear EA style alt-rock spewing out at volume 11, but I miss the days where racing game music helped you get into the race. Outrun, Ridge Racer etc.

I agree about wanting some pulse-pumping music. The tracks in DC are good, but lacking that certain something. I keep going back and forth on my settings. Right now I have the music off for better immersion, but I have the menu music turned on.

I have a related question - If I use the USB music player, does it basically just play music over everything without regard to whether I'm driving, in menus or using the OS? I'd love to do custom music but I really just want it while actually racing.

Ranger X

Why should the game be easier because of individuals like you who can't "afford" to practice and actually get better at something?

Its up to the develloper to cater to their audience. This game is not stated to be for "experts". They obviously wanted it approachable for most gamers since its quite arcadey in style here. His complain is perfectly valid because that's why difficulty levels exists and they could have offered it in this game.

wouwie

I'm not good at the game but i never felt it needed lower difficulty. I feel i need to learn how to drive better. Because Driveclub is one of those games where you do get better with playing (similar to for example Trials). Also, difficulty is build into the Tour mode anyway.

Tampering with the difficulty at this stage (months after release) is a tricky thing. It may upset hardcore players (which are probably the ones who have bought and supported this game from the start up until now and in the future) while the more casual player might finish the tour and move on to the next game. It's tricky balance. Reducing the number of points to progress into the tour (and unlock cars) seems like the most sensible solution in this case.

Mitch

Banned
On the subject of personal skill; This game is definitely a challenge for someone like me, who isn't particularly good at driving games. Have I gotten better since starting? Most definitely. I'll continue to play at my own pace and practice when I can.

When I originally bought Driveclub, I was looking for a racing game I could pick up for 30 minutes to an hour after work for a good bit of fun. It definitely delivers, even if I find it difficult to complete certain goals.

Game is a blast, even when causing a spin out turning at high speed after hitting the brakes, going head on into side-barrier/cars... part of the fun (even more spectacular in the rain with no HUD). Just practice and learning the tracks brake/turn points and one will be rewarded eventually.

Denur

Nope, DS4 although I wouldn't mind a T500RS and a playseat :)
You and DHC-Shannow using a DS4 humbles me greatly. I use a T300RS and that Playseat and still have a very hard time keeping up with you guys. And people like Kie25 never cease to amaze me; so much talent, so much skill.

@Rushy: I cannot access photomode or use any DS4 button while the racing wheel is connected. Are there plans to make this possible in a future update? And please don't make the game easier, I love this level of difficulty in a racing game. But I also support viveks86's suggestion for reducing the entry barrier for locked events, even if it means that some trophies will be easier to get.

Goldrusher

And please don't make the game easier, I love this level of difficulty in a racing game. But I also support viveks86's suggestion for reducing the entry barrier for locked events, even if it means that some trophies will be easier to get.
They've already made the game WAY harder by replacing every off-road surface with superglue, and the barriers with cheese graters.

Skii

If Driveclub is made easier by adjusting the requirements needed to earn 3 stars in a tour event, by adding difficulty options (for tour events) or by adding a driving line, I give up. It would be a horrendous step backwards for the game.

Driveclub has become a hit amongst the racing community because we're all on a level playing field. We can all compare our times, our difficulties in achieving stars and so on because we know that everyone is sharing a similar experience. To take that away would be massively detrimental to the game.

The best part is that you don't treat anyone like an idiot. You know we are passionate about racing and you expect us to put in the time needed to get better at it. It would a damn shame to take that away from your loyal players simply to placate the odd few who aren't bothered with putting the time in to get better.

The fact that the Venom hot lap is such a big thing amongst the community is testament to how important a good challenge is in a game. After spending an entire hour getting good enough to beat that 1.16 time, I felt an immense sense of accomplishment. The only game to rival that accomplishment recently is Dark Souls.

Vivek's suggestion is the best. Make it easier to participate in an event, don't make it easier to earn the best rewards/stars.

sneaky77

Its up to the develloper to cater to their audience. This game is not stated to be for "experts". They obviously wanted it approachable for most gamers since its quite arcadey in style here. His complain is perfectly valid because that's why difficulty levels exists and they could have offered it in this game.

But there are difficulty levels.. as you advance it gets harder.. also to get all 3 stars it may take more skills.. specially in the time laps.

Vivek's suggestion is the best. Make it easier to participate in an event, don't make it easier to earn the best rewards/stars.
Another way to keep the current difficulty but also help those struggling with the current star challenges would be to add even more stars to events but with more alternate goals, and a distinction between beating an event and mastering it.

So instead of putting the onus on coming in first or beating a lap time to get the stars, put in additional stars focused on things like drifts (there are a few of these already), drafting, clean overtakes, clean laps and even total fame. The best players would still master the event (earning all stars), but slower players would still be able to acquire enough stars to beat an event by gaining say, three out of four stars.

And while I'm in suggestion mode - I'd love to see some more information provided in the menus, especially for the car and track selection. For cars we could use some basics like drive-train and engine details, total weight, horsepower/torque, top speed, 0-60, and personal details like # of wins, % of wins, miles driven, total fame. For tracks it'd be great to see our best times for each class of car in the dry and the wet, along with, again, the # of wins, % of wins, miles driven and total fame. Its nice to develop a history with each car and track but most games fail to bubble that kind of information to the surface.

OK, one more thing: on the car selection screen and garage it's hard to compare one car's stats to another unless they're literally next to each other. It'd be great to have a compare option, or just have the stats listed in numbers or hash marks so that we can more easily compare them ourselves.

Ranger X

But there are difficulty levels.. as you advance it gets harder.. also to get all 3 stars it may take more skills.. specially in the time laps.

I know the difficulty is scaled through the game and that there are extra objectives like the 3 stars, I meant there could have been a setting for putting the whole game at "easy, medium, hard", something like that.

Vaga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpAiuazoSoI

Managed to get closer to him but still I'm running at my limits with the controller while he can still improve his lap.

They've already made the game WAY harder by replacing every off-road surface with superglue, and the barriers with cheese graters.

Not really, it's actually easier and exploitable now in most corners, why brake when you can plough right into the barrier/offroad stopping you without much effort and gaining time. The Evo challenge in Oliver's Landing is the most perfect example (the red chicane). Not to mention it's ugly, unrealistic and annoying especially online where you get hit and thrown into the sticky areas without a real chance to recover and regain your spot. I wish Evo would stop tinkering and leave this stuff as it was from launch as it only annoys the people that were there from day one.

Kimosabae

Banned
Is there some resource for learning how to play this game? I don't play racers at all, and the game doesn't seem to do anything to illustrate how to drive effectively.

Driveclub has become a hit amongst the racing community because we're all on a level playing field. We can all compare our times, our difficulties in achieving stars and so on because we know that everyone is sharing a similar experience. To take that away would be massively detrimental to the game.

The best part is that you don't treat anyone like an idiot. You know we are passionate about racing and you expect us to put in the time needed to get better at it. It would a damn shame to take that away from your loyal players simply to placate the odd few who aren't bothered with putting the time in to get better.

ELwTmMS.gif

If you have some spare time, this is a great place to learn about racing:
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/corners.html

Thanks for that link, even though that physics shit at the beginning made me think you were trolling.

And I just received all stars from the Amateur Tour today. Feels good, man.

benzy

Wow! Great vid Benzy, that's amazing!

Thanks DHC! Love the fast claustrophobic straights on these tracks with subtle turns.

Yeah, this dude is incredible. He seems to be the leader in almost all of Evo's challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpAiuazoSoI

Managed to get closer to him but still I'm running at my limits with the controller while he can still improve his lap.

Not really, it's actually easier and exploitable now in most corners, why brake when you can plough right into the barrier/offroad stopping you without much effort and gaining time. The Evo challenge in Oliver's Landing is the most perfect example (the red chicane). Not to mention it's ugly, unrealistic and annoying especially online where you get hit and thrown into the sticky areas without a real chance to recover and regain your spot. I wish Evo would stop tinkering and leave this stuff as it was from launch as it only annoys the people that were there from day one.
Almost have lift off there at the start. Need me that Season Pass, PS funds due tomorrow so shall be able to join the ranks shortly!

And on Oliver's Landing, do you mean the chicane after the straight that isn't the start/finish straight where you get red flags wayyy before the chicane arrives?

Cornering Face Off actually goes quite deep into the gravel on that, so clearly they feel it is OK to do.

I know what you mean though, on the Norway glacier track people are now taking wider entrances into the opening corner as going slightly off slows you down a heap and helps you straighten the corner up really early. Not going to lie, used it myself and on other tracks you can use it on the inside of a corner to pull you round, but sometimes the turning is too violent and you spin out, but yeah bit of a pain I guess.

danowat

Banned
That evo challenge with the mclaren f1 in the rain?

Shit a brick that's intense, seriously off the pace on that one!!!

Wish there was a way to turn traction control fully off......

lordxar

Is it better to tap brakes/ebrake while holding full throttle through turns than let off the gas? Or is it contextual based on each turn type?

Contextual based on turn and car. Some cars in DC allow you to hold the gas to the floor and press the brake as needed. Others spin out or slide if you do that. Ebrake you most likely will never use unless your drifting. Some turns, large radius, you can just let off the gas and corner better without braking. Listen for tire squeal. I've read that more noise is bad as your not applying as much forward force as your are lateral.

Keep in mind this is pretty much my first real racer in years and I'm learning as much as any other noob so take all this with a grain of salt.

Listen for tire squeal. I've read that more noise is bad as your not applying as much forward force as your are lateral.

Keep in mind this is pretty much my first real racer in years and I'm learning as much as any other noob so take all this with a grain of salt.

Never knew about that tire sqeal. And as I have said previously, this is my first purchased racer since Gran Turismo 3 A Spec on PS2. lol

You and DHC-Shannow using a DS4 humbles me greatly. I use a T300RS and that Playseat and still have a very hard time keeping up with you guys. And people like Kie25 never cease to amaze me; so much talent, so much skill.

We're having quite a battle you and I on that DeZir Wester Ross challenge but I think that last time you've put in may well be the winner! Great link on your other post too, thanks for sharing:)

Never knew about that tire sqeal. And as I have said previously, this is my first purchased racer since Gran Turismo 3 A Spec on PS2. lol

Tyre squeal is wasted energy so try to keep it to a minimum on the lowered powered cars, not as critical once you get above the sports class.

Is it better to tap brakes/ebrake while holding full throttle through turns than let off the gas? Or is it contextual based on each turn type?

Not easy to do IRL but in that article that Denur linked there's a couple of instances it talks about (motorcycle racing / trail braking and rallying / left foot braking).

Just had a crack of it and yeah good time by Denur, beats yours though!

Lol dammit I'm gonna just have to find time to get back on there and have another crack at it!

Gotcha. Oh, and I beat one of your times! neener neener

In the Amateur Tour, lol.

Noooooo! Actually I'm surprised there are any on there due to the server issues when I did the tour on launch, but good on ya :)

Contextual based on turn and car. Some cars in DC allow you to hold the gas to the floor and press the brake as needed. Others spin out or slide if you do that. Ebrake you most likely will never use unless your drifting. Some turns, large radius, you can just let off the gas and corner better without braking. Listen for tire squeal. I've read that more noise is bad as your not applying as much forward force as your are lateral.

Nice tip about the squeal. I didn't know that. Just so I'm understanding correctly - the squeal essentially signals that it's the right time to apply the throttle? Or am I oversimplifying?

lordxar

Nice tip about the squeal. I didn't know that. Just so I'm understanding correctly - the squeal essentially signals that it's the right time to apply the throttle? Or am I oversimplifying?

Too much squeal means your sliding sideways as opposed to going forward. As I understand it anyway.

Edit: the tire sqealing was where I figured out reducing throttle on long sweep curves is better than braking. Basically your going too fast so the next time you take that same curve again enter a little slower and see how your time goes. Some curves you can take ultra fast and others slower but faster if that makes sense. All depends on the cars performance and the curve.

It comes down to energy - you want to convert all the energy from the engine into forward motion, not waste it in heat (burning rubber) or sound (tyre squeal) - but there is a balance to be found, ideally you want to use all the potential grip in the tyres, squeal and smoke tells you that you have exceeded it.

If your accelerating out of a corner and the tyres start to squeal see if you can straighten up slightly (so taking some turning force off the tyre) whilst keeping the throttle the same.

No it is the opposite, really.

Mainly you'll hear them under two scenarios - first being wheel spin. You'll hear this at the start of a race or in the wet even when going straight.

This occurs when you're applying too much power, the wheels want to turn faster than the tyre can maintain grip with the road surface, and as you're not adhering to the road as well you lose time, but not too much. In theory you want to be gentle and avoid wheel spin, but alas I just hold the trigger down all the way :p

Second is when you're going sideways. A wheel wants to spin forwards, so if you start power sliding round a corner the weight off the car is going at a right angle to where the wheel wants to go. That means the tyre is crying.

To reduce that you need to go slower, and not go on the gas.

That said some tyre squeal is inevitable, it isn't something you'll be able to eradicate entirely, but reducing excessive noise will help you. Especially if you start seeing smoke, that's a sure sign you're going too fast.

Top Bottom