• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

xrnzaaas

I really like the game after finishing most of the career mode (I'm currently lvl 35 so I'm waiting for the few remaining cars to unlock). Sadly I discovered that I get much better results while playing using the outside camera. I always like to choose cockpit views in racing games, but I simply don't see how it is possible to earn all stars with the cockpit camera in the Elements tour.

SerTapTap

This plays so great in remote play. I couldn't even remember what buttons I'm missing while playing a time trial over the internet. Had a bit too much lag to play my best, but with a better connection it would have been great (was using my phone's 3G...surprised it worked at all)

Siegmeyer

Fucking yeessssss! Finally!! After about ten different times between 1:20 amd 1:21 I finally got her done. 1:19.926.

I want to say 'Fuck you, Venom Hot Lap 2' but I actually kind of enjoyed it. It certainly helped with my fine throttle control. Right, onto the Elements Trophy and I'll be at 405/405.

Is it normal for me to play the same race over and over again, like over 40 times, in order for me to get all the stars in a single race? The thing is, I'm not very experienced in racing games besides Burnout and PGR, and that was years ago.

sneaky77

Is it normal for me to play the same race over and over again, like over 40 times, in order for me to get all the stars in a single race? The thing is, I'm not very experienced in racing games besides Burnout and PGR, and that was years ago.

I've done that in a few events

xrnzaaas

I only have bigger problems with drift events, but they've always been my weak point. In most tours I usually get all stars in one or few tries (the Venom event mentioned above is a pain in the ass as well ;)).

I do this. Not every time, but quite often.

DC ranked at #15 on Eurogamer's Reader Top 50 of 2014

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-02-readers-top-50-games-of-2014

Mario Kart 8 was #1, so DC was the second highest ranked racer on the list. Not surprised, but i'm still really happy since it shows that gamers still want track based arcade racers.

Cool. That's great to see.

Anybody else have the sense the Elements DLC has crossed from being an enjoying challenge to being too difficult? Some of the events I'm just kind of ready to throw in the towel on.

sneaky77

Anybody else have the sense the Elements DLC has crossed from being an enjoying challenge to being too difficult? Some of the events I'm just kind of ready to throw in the towel on.

It was challenging, specially the last race in the elements tour, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit,

Flunkie

Banned
Ok I'm officially jumping clubs as mine doesn't play anymore. Will anyone who does a lot of challenges with other GAF clubs have me? I really want to get into the social part of this and my club just isn't that social.

Spoo

I joined a GAFFers club but it seems like a lot of the people in it are more casual (which is fine), but I'm pretty balls deep into this game and looking for a more active club to jump into. Level 31 here, and just finished getting all the stars in the main tour. PSN is reeducator, just let me know if you got room for an extra :D

Syntek

I picked this up thanks to the amazing gifs, but I'm terrible with racers. I'm struggling even with the most basic of the basic fundamentals. I see all these guides that talk about racing lines, braking, shifting, but before any of that, how do I know what is the highest safe speed I can enter a given corner? I know this isn't Ridge Racer where you can make every corner all the same whether at 50 or 200 mph, but I'm assuming DC is far more forgiving than pure sims. Is it just intuition + memorization?

sneaky77

I picked this up thanks to the amazing gifs, but I'm terrible with racers. I'm struggling even with the most basic of the basic fundamentals. I see all these guides that talk about racing lines, braking, shifting, but before any of that, how do I know what is the highest safe speed I can enter a given corner? I know this isn't Ridge Racer where you can make every corner all the same whether at 50 or 200 mph, but I'm assuming DC is far more forgiving than pure sims. Is it just intuition + memorization?

The corners have color flags which is a indication.. but not 100% perfect.. so green is easier turns, yellow a little more and then red usually pretty tight

Spoo

The corners have color flags which is a indication.. but not 100% perfect.. so green is easier turns, yellow a little more and then red usually pretty tight

Yeah, having just finished the first tour I feel like it boils down to this:

Green -> You may be able to get through without letting off the gas, but depending on the car (and how fast you are going) you may have to. Breaking is unlikely unless you're losing control.

Yellow -> You'll want to let off the gas, and possibly break. This really depends on a lot of factors (speed, control), but by and large whenever you see yellow it's a *really good guess on your first go to use a little breaking, and let off the gas until you hit the apex*

Red -> You need to break, and probably a lot if you're coming in from a straightaway. The game lies about maybe 1 or 2 turns of this variety, but almost always these are the turns you need to prepare in advance for, letting off the gas and probably tugging on your breaks a bit. In severe instances you almost need to come to a rolling stop to make some of these corners.

I think it's important in the game, if you're having trouble, to experiment with cars (but not just once!) so you get a feeling for the game's core mechanics vs. the mechanics of the car you chose. Eventually you'll start to see the difference, and then using other cars comes down to playing the first lap safe so you get a good feel for things and then you'll be adapted. There are a few cars though that are just absolutely a pain to use, and they are usually speciality vehicles for very particular situations (can't get that star for a super fast lap? Change out the car you have with one that has great top speed / acceleration, and just be careful on corners).

There are some areas in the game that are just really hard and I have no idea how I managed to finish them (Venom Hot Lap comes to mind -- this alone took ~30 tries)

DC is probably tougher than other racing games in this respect as it doesn't give you a driving line that changes colour to tell you when to accelerate or brake. If your really struggling to learn corner speed I'd suggest you go on single event mode / time trial and select a track like Autodromo Chile with an RS5 - keep doing laps whilst trying to improve your time and I think you'll soon get a feel for what speed you can take each bend. Once you have that down then it's just a case of learning the other circuits while doing the tour / online.

krioto

Anyone else having issues with remote play button mapping?

I can't seem to map the x button to throttle, the game automatically changes it to triangle

PepperedHam

This is without a doubt my favorite purchase this year. I'm having so much and it's just so exhilarating. I finally got drifting down so that I'm not total poop at it and I've been having a lot of fun popping on some Eurobeats and pretending I am in Initial D.

Ranger X

This is without a doubt my favorite purchase this year. I'm having so much and it's just so exhilarating. I finally got drifting down so that I'm not total poop at it and I've been having a lot of fun popping on some Eurobeats and pretending I am in Initial D.

Honestly this game is my GOTY and I never ever imagined it would be possible.
Seriously, this game kicks major ass.

This is a vid of me online last night, had an awful start (my fault) then had to scrap and battle my way forward. I even had a guy decide to lay in wait for us to come around on the last lap and ram me - unfortunately he smashed me into the leader who then thought I'd deliberately stuffed him into the barriers and spent the rest of the lap smacking into me...

http://youtu.be/sI93eVZaBAM

This plays so great in remote play. I couldn't even remember what buttons I'm missing while playing a time trial over the internet. Had a bit too much lag to play my best, but with a better connection it would have been great (was using my phone's 3G...surprised it worked at all)

You really think so? It looks great and doesn’t lose much in IQ thanks to the naive 30 fps, but I have issues with the fact that the shoulder buttons are digital rather than analog so I can’t let off the throttle without killing it entirely, and the sticks don’t have the same range, which causes essentially the same problem with turning.

Spoo’s post has some great advice. One thing I would say, if you’re coming from an arcade or Ridge Racer mindset, is to really try and think as if you’re driving a real car. That may sound pretty dumb and basic, but it really helped me when I got started. Other tips: use the full range of the throttle; brake, then turn rather than brake and turn at the same time; concentrate on taking the line that will give you the best chance to exit the corners with higher speeds.

What insights can you share on drifting? I’m still shit at it.

^^^ I saw that one, and it's good stuff. Wondering if anyone else has any other perspective. This kind of thing is all about feel, which is tough to write out.

Spoo

^^^ I saw that one, and it's good stuff. Wondering if anyone else has any other perspective. This kind of thing is all about feel, which is tough to write out.

Merun's notes are basically on point here, but since I struggled for a long time with drifting I'll drop a few pointers.

If you're dealing with drift challenges -- and these are of course the hardest -- you need to get a feel for the car, and *when* it actually starts drifting. Don't be afraid to just go full blast through a drift zone. You'll probably go off the rails -- that's fine, it's not always apparent if the car you are driving will handle the drift like a champ or just go flying (supercars *will* go flying). Once you see what fails, you can start figuring out what works, and so...

If you are having trouble initiating the actual drift (believe it or not, this was my biggest problem), what *should* do the trick is, when you have enough speed, hit O (handbrake), and then tug all the way to the direction on the left stick (left or right depending on the direction, obviously), but do *not* continue holding the stick. The car should already be in its drift state, and from there, things get even trickier.

You want your car to go as sideways as possible *and* be going as fast as possible. You can do like 10 runs on a stage and get drastically different scores even though things *look* the same -- this is because, I think, the game really does care a great deal about speed and angle of the car as you go through a drift zone. Obviously, this is easier said than done! Once you are drifting, figuring out just how steep the car angle can be before you invariably lose control is a balancing act that seems more determined by the car than your ability behind the wheel. Don't be surprised when it takes many runs to even get a feel for how far you can push it and at what speeds.

More importantly, you really need to understand the track. The drift tracks are designed in such a way that's not always apparent where you should actually begin drifting, but there are enough hints (mainly in the curvature of the road itself) to get you started on seeing how you should drift. This tells you nothing about a very important aspect though -- your angle of approach into the drift.

The truth is, it's not just angle, but actually spatially where you are on the road -- sometimes coming into the drift from the middle will be best, other times left, and other times right. The trick to figuring out what is best, past just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks, is to figure out what angle and position gives you the most throughput on the drift -- ie. maximizing how much time spent drifting. Again, speed and angle seem to be a factor of score once you actually get into the drift. Sorry to say, this is really up to you to figure out, since there's just too many variables to give a firm answer on 'what's best'

The other thing to be aware of, at least when dealing with the drift challenges, is that the speed sections are absolutely crucial in 3-staring the track. It is much, much better to optimize those speed sections than having that "perfect" drift in my experience. If you have to make a decision between maximizing drift score, and entering a speed zone at a snails pace (because the recovery time is very poor on some cars), always prioritize speed. The faster you are going in a speed zone, the more points you get, and it is *much* easier, ostensibly, to get those points than to get a perfect drift going.

In actual races in which you need to drift, I almost *never* use handbrake unless it's part of the requirement to 3-star the track. In these cases I use a hard tug on the brakes and let speed do the rest to knock your car into the drift. Drifting will happen a lot here and there, but only in small increments. You are almost always faster just breaking a bit and gassing around corners, so long as your car isn't fishtailing (which will happen in some fast cars). If you are going fast enough, and hitting a green flag turn, you can probably get a very nice, barely-there drift going which will be faster than letting off the gas.

Choosing cars with a high rating in drifting will help if you absolutely must drift. For all other cases, a faster car with good enough handling (ie, it doesn't fishtail like a mother fucker when you tug hard on the brakes) is probably better for normal tracks that don't require drifting to 3-star.

Hopefully that helps. Because every track and car are different, there is no hard rule to drifting in driveclub. But you'll find if you prioritize using a car in each class (when you can, at least), you will develop a feel for how the car can handle at varying speed, and body memory will definitely kick in.

IKizzLE

Really liking today's Pure Speed online playlist. Good combination of cars(outside of the gumpert and ruf one) and fast tracks.

The past couple of days have been lackluster.

MarkV

Damn, i have a bought a US season pass code for Driveclub that doesn't work in my region. Someone want to trade it for something? Or i can sell it for 23$ with paypal, send me a message.

Really liking today's Pure Speed online playlist. Good combination of cars(outside of the gumpert and ruf one) and fast tracks.

The past couple of days have been lackluster.

I like how they keep mixing it up, and driving the hyper cars in rain and snow is certainly intense! I wonder what stuff they log from the servers, just popularity of certain events and cars or down to which cars win for balancing etc.

Auctopus

I'd really like a fog setting for the weather. I've noticed that India is partial to fog in some weather setting but it doesn't last for long.

I'd love to drive a P2P at night in the fog in cockpit view.

Ps. Does anyone remember when about we get info on DLC later this month?

I'd really like a fog setting for the weather. I've noticed that India is partial to fog in some weather setting but it doesn't last for long.

I'd love to drive a P2P at night in the fog in cockpit view.

Ps. Does anyone remember when about we get info on DLC later this month?

Fog & mist would be cool, could be incorporated into the sunny/overcast/stormy setting.

I had a bug last night I haven't seen before, where the Faceoff didn't register that I was driving on the blue line. I love the sound of that McLaren F1 LM on full throttle too....

http://youtu.be/xcPblYqwgQI

I know online can be a crash fest but has anyone else noticed that the first bend on certain tracks is guaranteed chaos? I think it's the combination of a long start straight and a quick but not flat out first bend on Cayoosh Point that makes it a lottery to get through unscathed...

http://youtu.be/pEIx-foqZpM

xrnzaaas

I know online can be a crash fest but has anyone else noticed that the first bend on certain tracks is guaranteed chaos? I think it's the combination of a long start straight and a quick but not flat out first bend on Cayoosh Point that makes it a lottery to get through unscathed...

http://youtu.be/pEIx-foqZpM

I haven't played multiplayer that much, but the community seems to be pretty ok for an arcade racer. I've completed a lot of races without witnessing any serious crashes and I encountered a lot of players that behave normally and don't try to force you off the road when you're driving side by side with them. Can't say the same thing about GRID or recent NfS racers. As for the first turn chaos, yep, it depends on a track. It's usually quite chaotic if the first corner is really sharp and slow. Some players prefer to brake by slamming into other cars and they count on not receiving penalties (or they just don't care since the penalties aren't that significant anyway).

How do club challenges work?

Pretty much the same as the solo challenges, do an event then send a challenge out to the clubs you select. The winning time wins the event and the club gets points for everyone who takes part. It can be tougher as there's potentially more recipients of the challenge.

First time racing on this track. I almost shat my pants when I got to the tunnel sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX1MpTD0ioU&list=UUnmKlM7G_vD6iXbAdVLimAQ

This game is amazing. Feels solid to play, more arcade than I was expecting, but cars have a very nice weight to them and the handling isn't as forgiving as what you'd usually find in an arcade-style racer. And the sense of speed is mesmerizing. I go into a sort of 'trance state' when playing.

And the visuals...lawd, don't get me started on the visuals.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
First time racing on this track. I almost shat my pants when I got to the tunnel sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX1MpTD0ioU&list=UUnmKlM7G_vD6iXbAdVLimAQ

This game is amazing. Feels solid to play, more arcade than I was expecting, but cars have a very nice weight to them and the handling isn't as forgiving as what you'd usually find in an arcade-style racer. And the sense of speed is mesmerizing. I go into a sort of 'trance state' when playing.

And the visuals...lawd, don't get me started on the visuals.

The cool thing about that is that it is based on a real tunnel in Norway called the Lærdal Tunnel

KOHIPEET

Any news about Evo planning to add new areas? Not like I got bored of the existing ones, I'm just curious. Would love to race through a fictive track inside a forest of giant Sequoias.

Anyone have a club I can join? I can only get online about once every week or two, but I do play quite a bit offline. I mainly want to unlock some club cars, though I'll contribute any way I can to the club. :)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Any news about Evo planning to add new areas? Not like I got bored of the existing ones, I'm just curious. Would love to race through a fictive track inside a forest of giant Sequoias.

New countries? Yeah, Japan is the next rumored country to be added. (There was a video of them showcasing the new weather effects and while showing it off, there was a whited out country between India and Norway and since the countries are in alphabetical order, that's what leads people to believe Japan is coming. Which also makes the most sense since they have a lot of those winding, driftable roads.)

I'm sure another one is in the works.

The cool thing about that is that it is based on a real tunnel in Norway called the Lærdal Tunnel

Oh right, that's a new one on me - I know some of the tracks are based off real locations (I've seen photos of the Kyle and Atlantic road before) but I don't know how close the tracks are to the actual roads.Do you know if the rest of that track is like the surrounding area?

Top Bottom