• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

psychotron

If you are hitting the apex well, the only issue could be too much braking. This is something you can improve on only with practice. Replicate settings of track in time trial and keep improving your lap times. You will get a good idea of when to hit the brakes and to what extent. Also, some of those flags can be deceptive and you might be able to make the turn without much braking at all. That again requires practice. You don't need manual for any of the stars. And drifting rarely ever helps with your exit speed

I'll keep practicing. I feel like either I brake too hard and cut the turn too sharp, slowing on rocks, or too late causing me to hit the opposing wall. It's tough to get it all down because I feel like the AI is extremely fast and aggressive, so I feel like I need to rocket as fast as possible.

leng jai

The flags can be deceptive and you'll get poor times if you follow them too religiously. A lot of yellow turns only require accelerating throttling rather than actual braking.

psychotron

The flags can be deceptive and you'll get poor times if you follow them too religiously. A lot of yellow turns only require accelerating throttling rather than actual braking.

I find that if I try to tap the accelerator through a turn, the car loses traction and spins out.

I've started a club called Name Not Taken. I'm looking for some racers to hop in and start having some fun!
Udontneed2know26 username. Add me up an lets roll

I joined.

I'll keep practicing. I feel like either I brake too hard and cut the turn too sharp, slowing on rocks, or too late causing me to hit the opposing wall. It's tough to get it all down because I feel like the AI is extremely fast and aggressive, so I feel like I need to rocket as fast as possible.

For a game so heavy on penalizing you on being aggressive, the AI sure does get aggressive.

EDIT: Christ this game is really incredibly hostile. I want to like it. I really do. But when you get penalized for the AI bumping you from the rear? I can't cope.

is there a go-to time trial track? one track that stands out as a measuring stick or is by far the most popular?

i've been using Los Pelambras (Reverse) and it's by far my most played track (by over a 30:1 margin even the #2 track and probably 100:1 by #5 track)

but i'm wondering how good of a measuring stick it is if the top players use it or not

p.s. i really love the menu music in this game

If you are hitting the apex well, the only issue could be too much braking. This is something you can improve on only with practice. Replicate settings of track in time trial and keep improving your lap times. You will get a good idea of when to hit the brakes and to what extent. Also, some of those flags can be deceptive and you might be able to make the turn without much braking at all. That again requires practice. You don't need manual for any of the stars. And drifting rarely ever helps with your exit speed

And this comes down to how fast the car you're using. For the slower cars you can get away with turning by just letting go of the gas, even with red flags. The higher the class the more braking you'll be doing. The strategy on one track can be different with separate cars.

Woo, finally unlocked the Pagani Huayra. What does my dumbass do right after I unlock it? Go to time trials. In Bandipur. In heavy rain. :D
Needless to say, I would've owed thousands of dollars worth in repairs in the first few seconds of taking control on the wheel.

For a game so heavy on penalizing you on being aggressive, the AI sure does get aggressive.

EDIT: Christ this game is really incredibly hostile. I want to like it. I really do. But when you get penalized for the AI bumping you from the rear? I can't cope.

If the AI is rear ending you then your braking too hard / too early. You can also get away with pushing them around & leaning on them in corners quite a lot without penalty.

Siegmeyer

For those struggling with the tougher events, driving in the wet is a great way to improve your overall control of the car.

When I first hit up the Venom Hot Lap 1 (in the dry), I was really struggling to control the Venom, the back end came out too easy and I was getting too much tyre screech through corners.

When I first tried Venom Hot Lap 2 (in the soaking wet), I was all over the fucking shop. Got a 1:38 on mly first attempt (for reference, 1:20 is the 3-star time). But I kept practicing and I learned to be much more subtle on the throttle when exiting corners. It really forces you to use the full range of the analogue triggers, whereas slower cars and drier tracks let you get away with flooring it much more.

I still haven't got the 3 star time (just 16/100ths off it) but I can consistently fly round that track without feeling like I'm about to spin out. Once you take your new found skills back to drier tracks you'll appreciate that finer level of control you now have.

My other tip just applies to most racing games really. Try not to be braking and steering at the same time. Try to do all your braking in a straight line and then use engine braking (if necessary) as you start to turn into the apex and then don't hit the throttle too early!. The little corrections you'll have to make if you do can really sap your corner exit speed.

NHale

It seems your problem is going off track. This game heavily penalizes you if you go off track just like F1 games do. You lose speed by driving anywhere besides asphalt and especially you lose corner exit speed for the following straight and you will never recover that lost speed vs AI until the next corner comes. For example if you make a mistake exiting the corner on that Canada track with long straights you might as well restart the event.

What you have to be aware is that in Driveclub flags are not automatic Guitar Hero racing line cues like other racing games. I've found that flags are almost what rally co-driver notes: Red means hairpin/tight corner, yellow means medium/long corner and green means easy corner. And just like rally sometimes a yellow means heavy braking while sometimes it's just lifting off a little bit because it depends on your actual speed before the corner. If you are going 60 kph before an hairpin you don't have to brake, if you are going 280 kph you have to brake heavily. The same way if you are going 320 kph before a corner with a green flag sometimes you have to lift off. Like I said don't approach the flag system like Guitar Hero. Before every corner evaluate your approach based on your car, speed and type of corner. Even on the same race you have to change your approach because your entry speed for the same corner might be completely different in lap 1 than lap 2.

It seems your problem is going off track. This game heavily penalizes you if you go off track just like F1 games do. You lose speed by driving anywhere besides asphalt and especially you lose corner exit speed for the following straight and you will never recover that lost speed vs AI until the next corner comes. For example if you make a mistake exiting the corner on that Canada track with long straights you might as well restart the event.

What you have to be aware is that in Driveclub flags are not automatic Guitar Hero racing line cues like other racing games. I've found that flags are almost what rally co-driver notes: Red means hairpin/tight corner, yellow means medium/long corner and green means easy corner. And just like rally sometimes a yellow means heavy braking while sometimes it's just lifting off a little bit because it depends on your actual speed before the corner. If you are going 60 kph before an hairpin you don't have to brake, if you are going 280 kph you have to brake heavily. The same way if you are going 320 kph before a corner with a green flag sometimes you have to lift off. Like I said don't approach the flag system like Guitar Hero. Before every corner evaluate your approach based on your car, speed and type of corner. Even on the same race you have to change your approach because your entry speed for the same corner might be completely different in lap 1 than lap 2.

Yep ^this^ is spot on.

Finally bought the game today only to find that I can't enter photo-mode. :( I press right on the touch-pad and nothing happens. I've been told in the weather thread that Rushy is looking into a fix? I hope it comes soon, it's one of the main reasons I bought the game.

Finally bought the game today only to find that I can't enter photo-mode. :( I press right on the touch-pad and nothing happens. I've been told in the weather thread that Rushy is looking into a fix? I hope it comes soon, it's one of the main reasons I bought the game.
That's when using a wheel I believe. If you presus the left side are you reset to track?

desu

Did you already install all the patches ?

Skii

Ok so the difficulty seems to have spiked real fast for me. Can you guys provide some key tips other than git gud? Taking a Forza approach of braking in advance doesn't seem to be working here as the AI racers fly past me. I prefer automatic but maybe I need to force manual. Help!

As others have said, you are probably braking too much and taking the wrong line in turns.

My advice is to try and take certain green and yellow turns without accelerating or braking. Sometimes you either go into a turn accelerating which forces you to take a wider line and reduces exit speed as you brake to try and correct your mistake or you brake too much early on which also affects exit speed.

I'm using a controller. Neither side of the touch-pad works. And the touch-pad works fine when I'm in the menu (to go 'Home'). Really strange.

I had one 2.5 GB update that I've downloaded twice now and I still can't enter photo-mode.
If you come to a halt or go off track (but not such that the 3, 2, 1 comes up) do you see a prompt in the middle of the screen to press the left side of the touch pad to reset to track? That will be confirmation you have the patch installed correctly.

I've never been bothered by the penalties. You get fame doing lots of things and we're talking about millions of points overall. I don't really notice losing a few hundred here or there.

If you come to a halt or go off track (but not such that the 3, 2, 1 comes up) do you see a prompt in the middle of the screen to press the left side of the touch pad to reset to track? That will be confirmation you have the patch installed correctly.

Just booted up the game and did what you said, and yes, a prompt comes up on-screen telling me to press the right side of my touch-pad to reset to track. But nothing happens when I do. As I said previously, the touch-pad works fine when using it to go to the 'Home' screen in the menus.

I really hope they fix this soon. Photo-mode is one of the main reasons I bought this game.

MADGAME

Anyone else hoping for city based tracks when they introduce Japan?

I'm loving the scenic countrysides (would be neat to see some wildlife here and there), but I'd be interested in a few urban tracks as well. Would be a thing of beauty in this game.

Anyone else hoping for city based tracks when they introduce Japan?

For me more countryside tracks would be welcome. It would be criminal not to include Switzerlands best passes:

- Grimsel pass
- Nufenenpass
- Gotthard pass

Evo, make it happen please!

Doel

Bought the Elements Tour Pack yesterday and it hasn't registered with the game. It still shows the shopping cart icon on them, I go to play an event, "To Activate this purchase on PS Store", I click, shows as already purchased, yet I still can't race.

What the hell is going on here? PSN issue or game issue?

Bought the Elements Tour Pack yesterday and it hasn't registered with the game. It still shows the shopping cart icon on them, I go to play an event, "To Activate this purchase on PS Store", I click, shows as already purchased, yet I still can't race.

What the hell is going on here? PSN issue or game issue?

Make sure your PS4 is set to primary, not had the issue myself but it seems to be the usual cure for store issues.

For me more countryside tracks would be welcome. It would be criminal not to include Switzerlands best passes:

- Grimsel pass
- Nufenenpass
- Gotthard pass

Evo, make it happen please!

Are you Swiss by any chance? ;-)

Make sure your PS4 is set to primary, not had the issue myself but it seems to be the usual cure for store issues.

Are you Swiss by any chance? ;-)

Nope. But i do like fast road driving IRL and these are the most beautifull roads i've ever driven so far. I visit them almost every year.

Nope. But i do like fast road driving IRL and these are the most beautifull roads i've ever driven so far. I visit them almost every year.

Sorry, the name threw me! Looking on Google images those passes look like amazing roads. Scenery wise they're probably not different enough to the existing locations, but that could mean they'd be easier to produce...

Doel

Bought from your regional store and not the US one for example? The other issues I've heard is when the game and the DLC were from different regions.

All the same region. The first two DLC [free] packs worked fine. I'm afraid to buy the Redline one until this one works.

MADGAME

Couple bugs while playing today. I bought the game after the weather patch so not sure if they are common.

Cornering Face Off - The blue banner that signifies the beginning and end of the face-off did not populate, only the face-off line. Also, no noise plays while driving on the line. This would happen for a lap, then after starting a new lap the audio would return. Happened a few times.

No audio while drifting - all tire sound was muted. No squealing, drifting sounds, etc. Starting a new lap corrected the issue.

Speed challenge Face-Off. While playing Scotland Open (Kinloch Reverse), I received a speed challenge during the S-curve portion of the track. The face-off speed to beat was 239.6 MPH, which is way too fast for a Sports car. Not sure if the person cheated or if somehow a speed challenge for another car class was received.

lordxar

Couple bugs while playing today. I bought the game after the weather patch so not sure if they are common.

Cornering Face Off - The blue banner that signifies the beginning and end of the face-off did not populate, only the face-off line. Also, no noise plays while driving on the line. This would happen for a lap, then after starting a new lap the audio would return. Happened a few times.

No audio while drifting - all tire sound was muted. No squealing, drifting sounds, etc. Starting a new lap corrected the issue.

Speed challenge Face-Off. While playing Scotland Open (Kinloch Reverse), I received a speed challenge during the S-curve portion of the track. The face-off speed to beat was 239.6 MPH, which is way too fast for a Sports car. Not sure if the person cheated or if somehow a speed challenge for another car class was received.

The face off stuff is residual from the launch issues. Saw a drift of 13k yesterday, not on a drift event, 13k for a curve in a race event.

Sometimes you see issues with the face offs when the servers are struggling. The figures used to be a lot more unreliable as it seems they sometimes mixed up which face off you were doing, but this was fixed in one of the patches and personally I haven't seen that issue since. I've never had that audio bug either.

MADGAME

The face off stuff is residual from the launch issues. Saw a drift of 13k yesterday, not on a drift event, 13k for a curve in a race event.
That's funny. I would have thought "challenge not accepted".

Sometimes you see issues with the face offs when the servers are struggling. The figures used to be a lot more unreliable as it seems they sometimes mixed up which face off you were doing, but this was fixed in one of the patches and personally I haven't seen that issue since. I've never had that audio bug either.
All of the issues happened within a 15 minute period or so then stopped. I've not experienced the audio bug before today either. It was bizarre because the engine noise was audible, and I was receiving force feedback from the tires via the dualshock.

Merun

I did have some audio bug, like missing tire screech, and also once, no sound while driving. However getting in the menu restore all sound, including my USB music. I had to restart the game entirely to fix it. Sometimes it feels like I'm missing vibrations, as in, I think that it should vibrate but it doesn't. Perhaps I'm wrong and it's normal, but this usually takes me out of the zone and I crash or something.

Can I get an invite? Just got the game today due to this post. It grabs me right away, I know why I didn't like rival and fh2, I am annoy about driving to start an event. Same goes for nfsu2 open world

Membership was set to open. Did you get the last spot?

There are three spots that were filled by players that didn't message me or indicate they were from GAF so I'm not sure...

No audio while drifting - all tire sound was muted. No squealing, drifting sounds, etc. Starting a new lap corrected the issue. .

I reported that one to Rushy, it was most obvious on the Renault electric car on a drift challenge. Sometimes - less than half the time - the first corner, no tire sounds. After a corner or two it corrected though.

Ranger X

Did someone calculate the value of the DLC that has been released so far?

I did hesitate on the season pass so far because I am interested in Tour Packs only. First ones were cheap (like 2$) but Redline was a whooping 6$.
I wonder if the 4-6 other Tour pack planned will be Redline style (and therefore the Season Pass is still worth it) ???

sneaky77

I did hesitate on the season pass so far because I am interested in Tour Packs only. First ones were cheap (like 2$) but Redline was a whooping 6$.
I wonder if the 4-6 other Tour pack planned will be Redline style (and therefore the Season Pass is still worth it) ???

I think when they announced the season pass they said it would be more than 50% savings

So far the tour packs have been released in pairs, 1 low price using existing / free cars and 1 higher priced that includes 5 new cars - I think this is the pattern they'll continue to use.

So far the tour packs have been released in pairs, 1 low price using existing / free cars and 1 higher priced that includes 5 new cars - I think this is the pattern they'll continue to use.
That sounds right. According to their initial calendar (and adding in an extra month or two due to the bad launch) I think they're amining for about 9 months of content. Evo has said it's going to be about $75 worth of content.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
So since I want the Tour Packs I guess I should buy the Season Pass right?

It's $25 and if you really love the game, go for it.

That being said, was able to get all the stars in Redline DLC.

Elements... is pushing me to my limit. Though I was able to unlock the final, that is going to wreck me.

viveks86

Completed all stars on Redline. Moving on to elements. Hope I can beat that before new content for January is out. Challenges are too distracting!

T_Exige

Anybody want to trade wins for the Unbeatable Trophy? 5 challenges
I dont want to spam friends with these annoying messages.

Still got a spot in our Lv42 Le Mans Racing club :)

MADGAME

I reported that one to Rushy, it was most obvious on the Renault electric car on a drift challenge. Sometimes - less than half the time - the first corner, no tire sounds. After a corner or two it corrected though.

Cool, glad they are aware. Certainly isn't game-breaking by any stretch, but it catches you off guard. While processing what was transpiring I crashed lol.

Top Bottom