• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Pre-E3 preview event

uannb9w.png
photo0093_1400748698.jpg
Cool effects indeed, but the wording is smoke and mirrors. Kinda like the dihydrogen monoxide hoax. It surprises me that some find this "amazing".

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is exactly what I mean with "hyperbole".

But it's not hyperbole. It DOES set a new standard. You can't use your downplaying of reality as a way of elevating my opinion to 'hyperbole'.

See, posts like this:

I don't think it looks that good, in GIFs it shines because you can't see the questionable IQ.

It's remarkable. It's as if the footage we've seen doesn't exist and we've only seen Gifs so far (which are taken from the footage that doesn't exist)

StuBurns

Banned
It's remarkable. It's as if the footage we've seen doesn't exist and we've only seen Gifs so far (which are taken from the footage that doesn't exist)
I've seen the footage, I'm not very impressed. You can claim my opinion is wrong all you like, it's not going to change my perception. It still has months to go, maybe they'll clean it up by the time it comes out though, who knows.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've seen the footage, I'm not very impressed. You can claim my opinion is wrong all you like, it's not going to change my perception. It still has months to go, maybe they'll clean it up by the time it comes out though, who knows.

All I've seen is a few power lines with aliasing. That doesn't bother me in the least when I take EVERYTHING else into consideration.

Kura

Banned

Definitely is a point of view.
DC looks is really impressive, but doesnt look that impressive because it doesnt use "tricks" to make the game more than it really is and relies too much on a realistic ilumination and obsessive details that ingame will likely pass unnoticed.

So, at the end, DC is more impressive than it looks. IMHO.

GlamFM

Banned
All I've seen is a few power lines with aliasing. That doesn't bother me in the least when I take EVERYTHING else into consideration.

Yay, Aliasing and 30fps with nice looking environments is the NEW STANDARD for racing games.

It´s a good looking game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Stop exaggerating.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yay, Aliasing and 30fps with nice looking environments is the NEW STANDARD for racing games.

It´s a good looking game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Stop exaggerating.

'Nice looking environments'? That's all you can see when you watch Driveclub gameplay? It's clear from the tone and wording of your post what the real issue is here. But, feel free to keep downplaying Driveclub so that you can keep accusing people of hyperbole.

GlamFM

Banned
'Nice looking environments'? That's all you can see when you watch Driveclub gameplay? It's clear from the tone and wording of you post what the real issue is here.

Sorry, what I meant to say was "environments that set the NEW STANDARD™ for racing games".

EDIT: Pleaaaase let me know what the real issue is.

shem935

Banned
Excellent previews. Game looks great and, if the previews are anything to go on, plays better. October get here faster please!

VVV Mars VG

Well thats a depressing line to read.

Here's hoping Team VVV gets some quality time with this.

Yes unfortunately despite being told VVV would be invited, we only found out about the press trip when the content went live, so clearly we weren't invited which is a shame. We had some good content planned and were keen to see how the gameplay had developed.

I'm guessing our next opportunity for a limited hands-on will be Gamescom.

Tekku

• Swedish Gamereactor has published a great preview of the game. They have a couple of writers who are experienced in real racing and love racing games so they feel very reliable.

http://www.gamereactor.se/forhandstittar/160814/Driveclub/

I don't have the time to translate everything but here's a summary of the most interesting bits:

• The game was delayed because the interface didn't live up to Evolution Studios' initial expectations. The system in place is very complex and they want you to feel like you really are integrated with every aspect of the game.
  • Cooperation and team spirit are the two most important components of the experience. Gamereactor really noted that these parts play a very large role, more than in any other racing game that they had played before.
  • Every player will join a club with up to 6 members. Each of these members will earn so called Fame that unlocks new car models and other rewards.
  • Members rise in level individually but also contribute to the club level.
  • Roughly 80% of the game content can be unlocked via single player, and the rest will be unlocked in multiplayer.
  • Everything you unlock is exclusive to your current club. If you leave the club all the unlocks will be lost, including hard earned cars. This is to encourage players to stay with a team.
  • Gamereactor says that the single player mode feels a bit pale and boring in comparison with multiplayer. Competing online and engaging in club activities is where it's at.
  • The locations in the game are Canada, Norway, India, Scotland and Chile.
  • Every country has 11 tracks.
  • The cars differ a lot in physics and handling characteristics. The feeling is somewhere in between arcade and simulation.
  • The fps never went under 30 during their play test.
  • There's 50 cars in the game, each with a unique engine sound that has been recorded from the real life model.
  • BMW and Audi were so impressed with the engine sounds that they wanted to get their hands on the recording files.
  • There are lots of ranking lists in the game. They are very easy to access with only one button push away.
  • Main menu opens when you press the touchpad.
  • An app will be release called My Driveclub for iOS and Android, so that players can stay updated on their club progression.
  • You can choose to be a female driver (from another preview but I haven't read it here yet?)
  • Overall they really liked the feel of the physics, the team based racing and the focus on actual driving rather than collecting stuff. The only thing that didn't make a big impression on them was the single player mode.

Jimrpg

That's some good info tekku.

Bit disappointed in some of the things tho. Sounds like it's really multiplayer focused. Which is good for some I guess. For example I don't have time to go multiplayer really, so I hope I can get a lot out of the game too. I don't really want to hold back a team because I'm not there to compete at the same time. Also I wouldn't be much help to unlock stuff. Does that mean if people in your team leave, they take their unlocks with them?

The cars in the game are pretty much all new and shiny and European cars which is good but I hope we'll get some muscle car love (if only, just for the sound of it, for the handling in curvy tracks, errrr...) and some old glories too (60/70/80/90s "analog" cars).

Those impressions from GameReactor are certainly encouraging. The fact that you lose your cars is kind of crazy, though. I understand what they're looking to do, but how about sacrificing some combination of FAME and your rankings instead?

fasTRapid

Banned
  • Everything you unlock is exclusive to your current club. If you leave the club all the unlocks will be lost, including hard earned cars. This is to encourage players to stay with a team.
I heard in the access interview that you'll unlock the cars again if you join another or your previous club (the latter would be quite idiotic but is possible never the less), so you don't have to grind again.

farisr

wow since the game has Norway, we might get to race on the Atlantic ocean road :O

CsIfw3i.jpg

Last "boss level" track for Single player. Racing with the top-speed class cars in the game on THAT with waves and stuff would make for an epic finale.

That sounds like too awesome of a scenario to be true though.

Wonder how good the soundtrack will be. Any word on that?

Last I heard, Hybrid (best known to gamers for Finished Symphony from the SSX games) was handling it. I expect it to be good.

That "be here now" song is made by them. No other tracks have been revealed yet.

Bluenova

Neo Member
photo0095_1400748701.jpg

This kinda detail gets me hyped. Can't believe some y'all. Where is your oil pump's pulse guys. And things like computing the kinetic> thermal energy of the brake disc is fucking cool... as are 16 mic audio recordings.

photo0064_1400748697.jpg

Evolution has the car model game on lock. The manufactures I'm sure are quite pleased.

photo0077_1400748513.png

Please have some high end Japanese cars too.

Sciortino

Since we have nothing else on PS4 to compare it to yet, I'd say that Driveclub's 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5's 1080p/60fps looks. I'd give the slight edge to Forza when making a mental comparison, but I'd have to put them side-by-side in order to really make a call. But this isn't a console face-off; PS4 players are certainly not going to be disappointed by Driveclub's looks.
wut.
BZ9YklM.gif

Sciortino

I just don't want them to spend more than a couple of minutes on the game at their conference. We've seen quite enough of it.

Top Bottom