• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Pre-E3 preview event

Any good racing wheels for this? And how much?

I think I read somewhere that the ps3 wheels might not have compatibility with the ps4.

What wheels are they using at the pre e3 event?

And Dat lighting! I forgive them for going 30fps... Its worth it when it looks like that.

The best confirmed wheel for it is the T500RS. It costs $600, although Newegg is currently selling it for $519. You can always wait until closer to release to see if they eventually get Logitech wheels working on it. If that happens then you can get some really high quality wheels for half the price of that.

Huggers

Seems unnecessary to even mention Forza in the IGN article. How are you supposed to take such obvious one upmanship seriously.

bombshell

Any good racing wheels for this? And how much?

I think I read somewhere that the ps3 wheels might not have compatibility with the ps4.

What wheels are they using at the pre e3 event?

And Dat lighting! I forgive them for going 30fps... Its worth it when it looks like that.

ZM55AVa.png

Do we have a manufacturers list?

Is Porsche confirmed?

No, but RUF is.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

NOOOOOOOOOO!

How am I supposed to win a race when I can't barge into another car or cut them up at a corner?

Obviously delirious. DriveClub is far above and beyond Forza 5. Good to see some new content rolling in for this game.

IGNorant bunch!

Ohhh the butthurt?

Actually played Forza 5 or do you just don't share your Xbox gamertags on your Gaf profiles?

The IGN comment is not so way off, of what I've seen of 1080p footage of Driveclub it really does look great, but I'm not seeing "far and above". The detail in Forza 5's environments are really good (not counting the cardboard people of course) and have so far impressed me more than Driveclub footage.

Though they are difficult to compare as DriveClub has longer and more open scenery tracks. I'll have to wait for final impressions when I've got Driveclub running in my PS4.

But spare me comments like this.

I'm not a huge racing game fan these days in large part because of all those gimmicky things you mentioned. Seeing all these folks rally behind this quote has piqued my interest in this game. I was always going to try it since it was going to be available for free, but now I'm excited for it.

you should try Motorstorm RC, sure it's a top down rc car racing, but it's a very pure racer focused on driving lines and shaving off miliseconds of your time, control are very simple, but with a lot to learn if you want to get great times, and it's super addicting to play too

if Driveclub handling can replicate that same feeling of easy to play, hard to master philosophy, then I can see myself playing a lot of DC.

Since we have nothing else on PS4 to compare it to yet, I'd say that Driveclub's 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5's 1080p/60fps looks. I'd give the slight edge to Forza when making a mental comparison, but I'd have to put them side-by-side in order to really make a call. But this isn't a console face-off; PS4 players are certainly not going to be disappointed by Driveclub's looks.

As a writer, why would you consider this a viable paragraph to put into a piece about DC?

"Let's compare this game to the images in my head of another game? Yep, the game in my head looks better."

But the article has over 3000 comments so maybe it was a good idea.

bombshell

As a writer, why would you consider this a viable paragraph to put into a piece about DC?

"Let's compare this game to the images in my head of another game? Yep, the game in my head looks better."

But the article has over 3000 comments so maybe it was a good idea.

The comments calling him out for it do have a lot of upvotes.

Tracks – The game's 55 tracks are populated across five countries: Chile, Canada, Scotland, India, and Norway. These include point-to-point races, hill climbs, traditional race tracks, road circuits, 24-hour races, and more.

I assume 55 tracks are like 25+ tracks than you got reverse track to bump up the number? it's crazy if that's 55 unique tracks. how many tracks are in Motorstorm games?

also, hill climbs? I hope that mean there's also the reverse downhill tracks. add in custom soundtrack and I'd be reliving my initial d arcade memories. lol/

I gotta say the graphic technology behind this game is getting me excited to game again. Honestly it's almost too good to be true, how can this be?

Any racer already out just won't stack up well.

viveks86

Here is one: http://youtu.be/7sB3B7k7hbY?t=14m2s

Hmm, but looking at it again, it seems like it's actually tied to a track position challenge for that section and not a full-on driving line.

Ha! Hadn't noticed that either. But yeah, it seems more challenge specific, than an assist.

NOOOOOOOOOO!
How am I supposed to win a race when I can't barge into another car or cut them up at a corner?

Don't worry. Everyone is gonna be staring at the clouds, trees and sprinklers. Just try to focus on the road and you might just make it! :p

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ha! Hadn't noticed that either. But yeah, it seems more challenge specific, than an assist.

Don't worry. Everyone is gonna be staring at the clouds, trees and sprinklers. Just try to focus on the road and you might just make it! :p

I've never won a GT race without cheating. This is disappointing for me ...

On another note: baring in mind that the number of cars on the road is 12 and that the number of players in a team can be 6, has there been any mention of being able to have races with only two teams? 6v6.

viveks86

if the car in front of you brake suddenly causing you to hit him, who got the penalty?

It looks like the penalty isn't based on a single incident, but continued aggression. We'll need to see how it's implemented. There will be some gray area for sure.

I've never won a GT race without cheating. This is disappointing for me ...

On another note: baring in mind that the number of cars on the road is 12 and that the number of players in a team can be 6, has there been any mention of being able to have races with only two teams? 6v6.

That's the only kind of club race that I'm aware of. All club races involve only 2 teams at a time, with a max of 6v6. There will be tournaments for sure. But a single race can't have more than 2 clubs AFAIK, unless you race asynchronously

Jimrpg

The best confirmed wheel for it is the T500RS. It costs $600, although Newegg is currently selling it for $519. You can always wait until closer to release to see if they eventually get Logitech wheels working on it. If that happens then you can get some really high quality wheels for half the price of that.

Yep I can't afford a $600 wheel haha, but $199 maybe like a Logitech GT driving force and I'm down. I don't need a full gear shift, just up down gear shift would be good enough, at worst paddles. But would be really good if they can get ps3 wheels working.

Jimrpg

I assume 55 tracks are like 25+ tracks than you got reverse track to bump up the number? it's crazy if that's 55 unique tracks. how many tracks are in Motorstorm games?

also, hill climbs? I hope that mean there's also the reverse downhill tracks. add in custom soundtrack and I'd be reliving my initial d arcade memories. lol/

First motor storm game was 8 tracks in the one setting which was on top of a rock in a desert, think Arizona. Motor storm 2 had 4 settings based on fire water air and earth with 4 tracks each, none mirrored or reversed.

I'm thinking there will be mirrored or reversed tracks in drive club tho that's just my guess.

First motor storm game was 8 tracks in the one setting which was on top of a rock in a desert, think Arizona. Motor storm 2 had 4 settings based on fire water air and earth with 4 tracks each, none mirrored or reversed.

I'm thinking there will be mirrored or reversed tracks in drive club tho that's just my guess.

first motorstorm only have 8 tracks? seriously? that's lower than I remembered.

EDIT: I looked it up, the original motorstorm indeed only have 8 tracks with 4 extra tracks as dlc. I remember now that they padded the game with race modes and specific race combination with their vehicle types like bikes only race, elimination, etc.

Apocalypse had 10 tracks with 2-4 variation for each tracks. and their latest game Motorstorm RC had 16 tracks with 10 additional dlc tracks.

I still think those 55 tracks are probably 25+ with variations. going from 10-15 unique tracks in their previous games to 55 unique tracks is a bit too much I think.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It looks like the penalty isn't based on a single incident, but continued aggression. We'll need to see how it's implemented. There will be some gray area for sure.

That's the only kind of club race that I'm aware of. All club races involve only 2 teams at a time, with a max of 6v6. There will be tournaments for sure. But a single race can't have more than 2 clubs AFAIK, unless you race asynchronously

Oh right, I didn't know that. I'd assumed you could race on your own against 11 other players and still earn fame for your team.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I guess standard competitive MP exists as well, but it won't contribute to the club, just your own fame.

I see ... So there's 'fame' for yourself which is basically a level up system to unlock cars, tracks and liveries, and then there's a 'fame' system that increases your teams status on a leader board.

I wonder though, if the fame for teams can be increased due to handling (taking corners smoothly and the such) would some people have an advantage if they had a wheel? Could the leaderboards eventually be dominated by more affluent gamers?

I see ... So there's 'fame' for yourself which is basically a level up system to unlock cars, tracks and liveries, and then there's a 'fame' system that increases your teams status on a leader board.

clubs also unlock cars etc. when club fame level up, all team member get access to that car. don't know if you will lose access to club cars if you quit the club.

viveks86

And cars and liveries for the team as well. The clubs progress unlocks cars and liveries for the team when you race as a club. And I believe there are 5 exclusive cars that you can get ONLY if you earn them through the club's progress. If you leave or get kicked out of the club, you lose those cars if the other team you join hasn't reached that level yet.

And cars and liveries for the team as well. The clubs progress unlocks cars and liveries for the team when you race as a club. And I believe there are 5 exclusive cars that you can get ONLY if you earn them through the club's progress. If you leave or get kicked out of the club, you lose those cars if the other team you join hasn't reached that level yet.
Wait, so there are cars that you cannot get at all if you only play single player?

I don't know how I feel about that.

bombshell

Yeah, and if I understood Jamie correctly in that interview, those 5 cars tied to your club's progression are also 5 of the most exotic supercars in the game.

Also if you switch club you gain/lose those cars immediately corresponding to the new club's progression.

Ohhh the butthurt?

Actually played Forza 5 or do you just don't share your Xbox gamertags on your Gaf profiles?

The IGN comment is not so way off, of what I've seen of 1080p footage of Driveclub it really does look great, but I'm not seeing "far and above". The detail in Forza 5's environments are really good (not counting the cardboard people of course) and have so far impressed me more than Driveclub footage.

Though they are difficult to compare as DriveClub has longer and more open scenery tracks. I'll have to wait for final impressions when I've got Driveclub running in my PS4.

But spare me comments like this.
You do realise the hypocrisy in your comments there, right?

You're assuming those posters have not actually played Forza, and therefore are only going by media online, and yet you're happy to confirm that the comment is "not so way off" based on you not actually playing DRIVECLUB and only going by online media.

Funny, that.

bombshell

Wait, so there are cars that you cannot get at all if you only play single player?

I don't know how I feel about that.

It's only 5 cars. And you can get them, because you can in theory just join a club which unlocks them through the other member's activities and not contribute in the club yourself.

I think Solidsnakex summarized eloquently why a simple "standard" racing game can be very enjoyable for some of us if the driving mechanics are spot-on despite not being open world or having hurricanes.

Korezo

What's standard to him? The game needed cop chases or take outs to stand out and not be standard? If so I'm glad drive club is standard, because I like to race or drive around realistically.

GlamFM

Banned
Saying that the graphics of this title stand out is "crazy hyperbole"?

Sure it looks good, but so does Forza, NFS or Project Cars.

Maybe it looks a little better, but I don´t see why everybody goes so crazy over this games looks.

Racing games often times look really good.

That´s more or less what I expect now - nothing that stands out.

Loris146

Maybe it looks a little better, but I don´t see why everybody goes so crazy over this games looks.

Little better?

ilX7INB54QSsI.gif

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Little better?

ilX7INB54QSsI.gif

Yeah, I'm astonished when people say it's 'just slightly better'. I really don't understand what they're looking at. This game sets a new standard for racing game graphics, and from the majority of previews, it also appears to be 'fun to play'.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The more I read/hear from hands-on previews, the most nervous I get. "Nervous" in the sense of preparing for some disappointing realities, not having the game spoiled. Comments on track design are one thing. I lean more in the sim-style, so keep that in mind, but this line is troubling to me about the handling between vehicles:

For reference, PGR3/4 and Forza Horizon partly stood out to me because the nuance of the vehicles was retained so well in the arcade-style feel. A big part of the progression in gameplay was getting more cars, not because it was a checklist of cars, but because they had distinct characteristics that made them more (or less) interesting to drive in different settings and circumstances.

Worse yet (and as much as "IGN is bad" is a fine reaction initially when they make an assertion that's way out of line with other assertions), I'm seeing unfavorable comparisons crop up elsewhere to existing games now that the preview embargo is up:

I can't help but think they are comparing in-game car shots in driveclub with auto vista/garage shots in forza 5. Nothing in the footage just released seems noticably worse than the in-game F5 cars. And I don't think we've even seen any equivalent 'beauty shots' of the driveclub cars?

I don't think comparisons with Forza are inappropriate though. Both are highly anticipated first party racing games. Sure, they have a different focus but they are still racing games so will get compared

Ryan Mccaffrey is it you?.

viveks86

It's only 5 cars. And you can get them, because you can in theory just join a club which unlocks them through the other member's activities and not contribute in the club yourself.

That depends on how willing the club is to keep you around while they do all the hardwork and race with one less driver. ;)

That makes me wonder - do they support asymmetric club vs club? Could there be a 5v6 race? That would put the smaller team at a disadvantage right?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's been posted several times and it's factually incorrect. If nothing else, the graphics should very much stand out to anyone.

After struggling through Killzone Shadow Fall last week, I'm putting my foot down here. I want more than just eye-melting visuals if I'm going to keep playing these games.

GlamFM

Banned
Yeah, I'm astonished when people say it's 'just slightly better'. I really don't understand what they're looking at. This game sets a new standard for racing game graphics, and from the majority of previews, it also appears to be 'fun to play'.

This is exactly what I mean with "hyperbole".

Top Bottom