• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Pre-E3 preview event

With as much respect as it deserves, I take issue with this:

They give the impression they're using real-time photonic simulation to get the effect a shader could (and almost certainly is) achieving. I have my doubts that it's as they've characterized. I'd be happy to be mistaken on this point.
Their shader is probably based off the thickness of the wax layer. There is zero reason to simulate the actual photon travel unless you're doing ray tracing. You can get a physically accurate model based on some fairly straightforward equations in a shader.

NHale

Maybe that statement was a way for Ryan McCaffrey to try to convince Phil Spencer to allow him to present Microsoft E3 Press Conference.

Seriously after that embarassing series of tweets begging Phil Spencer for that, I don't know how anyone still takes that guy seriously.

With as much respect as it deserves, I take issue with this:

They give the impression they're using real-time photonic simulation to get the effect a shader could (and almost certainly is) achieving. I have my doubts that it's as they've characterized. I'd be happy to be mistaken on this point.
I understand you have your concerns, but damn dude, chill out a little. It's a game. Don't let the technical stuff wring you out of seeing the good and being optimistic about it. None of us outside of the press have even played the final version yet (I doubt they have, either)

alatif113

You may remember Ryan for his quotes such as "almost too much for my eyeballs to process" and "it’s borderline sensory overload…borderline." and everyone's favorite "Believe the hype". Yeah, don't take this guy seriously.

viveks86

I understand you have your concerns, but damn dude, chill out a little. It's a game. Don't let the technical stuff wring you out of seeing the good and being optimistic about it. None of us outside of the press have even played the final version yet (I doubt they have, either)

Hmmm? I'll let Gestault defend this, but your reaction to that post seems uncalled for. It came across as more of critiquing than pessimism. Let's not stifle such debate.

I can buy that. Besides the graphics this seems like a standard/bare bones racer.

And that's a good thing. It's about damn time that a racing game came out that's just about racing and time trialing. No open worlds. No gimmicks like powerups or being able to cause course changing set pieces. No spikes strips and EMP's. Just pure racing and skill. Like it was in the 90's when arcade racing games were at their best.

amar212

And that's a good thing. It's about damn time that a racing game came out that's just about racing and time trialing. No open worlds. No gimmicks like powerups or being able to cause course changing set pieces. No spikes strips and EMP's. Just pure racing and skill. Like it was in the 90's when arcade racing games were at their best.

This and this forever.

Looking at the footage I simply adore how lively abd unstable the suspensions are and how rear is easily lost if too much force is brought into turn.

It is arcade racer no doubt, but one that will praise skill, knowledge of courses and vehicle behaviour.

Genre needs a game like this, it has been too long since SEGA GT and similar masterpieces.

EGOMON

You know what would be awesome?
3 vs 3 vs 3 vs 3 club races or 4 vs 4 vs 4 club races, 4-way or 3-way battles would be insanely fun

plainr_

My thoughts exactly. What exactly are people expecting from Drive Club? It's been promoted as an arcade racer with sim like driving mechanics, social features, and beautiful graphics since day one. I feel some people want to see a tree fall on the track or something.

Lemondish

I'm not a huge racing game fan these days in large part because of all those gimmicky things you mentioned. Seeing all these folks rally behind this quote has piqued my interest in this game. I was always going to try it since it was going to be available for free, but now I'm excited for it.

viveks86

Totally agree. I used to be a fan of "action racers" until recently. Now I'm just sick of all the bullshit that prevents me from doing the "racing" portion of it. I literally did 2 objectives on rivals before quitting. I had cops crashing into me during a simple time trial! So annoying!

You are 100% right here. But this game will be getting dinged for every little thing it doesn't do like what the other racers do even those stupid things don't even play better or even matter in this game. Some will say 'oh but who gives a sh*t about reviews'. But unfortunately, the first thing people (mostly outside of GAF/forums) see is metacritic and judge the game by the score and it does affect the sales.

Ploid 3.0

uannb9w.png

What the hell

This game needs a photo mode

It will most likely be in, the motorstorm games had great photomodes, somewhat like Infamous SS pause to photomode feature.

Hmmm? I'll let Gestault defend this, but your reaction to that post seems uncalled for. It came across as more of critiquing than pessimism. Let's not stifle such debate.

Maybe; I was just going off the past few posts they had in the thread is all. On the one hand I admire when people can speak up on that stuff; it shows they pay attention and want it to be better.

But OTOH if you do it too much you start to rob yourself out of enjoyment for the product and only see its negatives after a while. It's gotta be balanced out.

I apologize if I misread them.

viveks86

Maybe; I was just going off the past few posts they had in the thread is all. On the one hand I admire when people can speak up on that stuff; it shows they pay attention and want it to be better.

But OTOH if you do it too much you start to rob yourself out of enjoyment for the product and only see its negatives after a while. It's gotta be balanced out.

I apologize if I misread them.

Agreed. But this guy, specifically, enjoys driveclub media like the rest of us. And he also likes to focus on the details, like rainbows on headlights and glowing red tail lights and how they illuminate the… ahem.. let's just say that he has a thing for lighting fixtures. ;)

slapnuts

Is Driveclub doing crowds? I guess I haven't even noticed any if there are.

Yeah... about the crowd

rHNyIlA.jpg

I don't know if that pic in the other thread is actual DC crowds but if so it only reinforces my belief that devs don't prioritize crowds in racing games. Just drive past them, it's a racing game! I swear, people nitpick shit to death to put down games.

Edit: Yeah, this was the one

Photorealism through the eyes of a fox.

lol....please give me 2d cutouts if the crowd is gonna look like that.

You guys really "honestly" believing what you see in DC right now is "retail"? You are trying to compare crowds in a game still in development and many months away from release to a game "forza" that is already been out many months.

If anything...Evo is using a lot of "place holders" in various area's of the game still. I mean afterall its still in development for a good while still.

I just find it uncalled for and unfair to be comparing crowds from a finished released game to a game still in development. Evo, like others have said...are VERY GOOD at putting some of the nicest touches and improvements in their "close to final" builds which we are not even close to seeing yet.

Never understood the logic of putting final judgement on any part of a game that still has months and months of dev time left.

leadbelly

Banned
Gamespot seems to think that the car models on Forza is better, so it's not all black-and-white.

I'm not entirely sure that is true either. Would be interesting to see what he was comparing them to. Cars in the garage in Forza 5 are clearly more detailed than cars on the track.

orochi91

You guys really "honestly" believing what you see in DC right now is "retail"? You are trying to compare crowds in a game still in development and many months away from release to a game "forza" that is already been out many months.

If anything...Evo is using a lot of "place holders" in various area's of the game still. I mean afterall its still in development for a good while still.

I just find it uncalled for and unfair to be comparing crowds from a finished released game to a game still in development. Evo, like others have said...are VERY GOOD at putting some of the nicest touches and improvements in their "close to final" builds which we are not even close to seeing yet.

Never understood the logic of putting final judgement on any part of a game that still has months and months of dev time left.

Evo said as much. This is beta footage and there are place holders.

This game will be visually phenomenal when the retail version is finalized.

Oh, Ryan.

McCaffrey's a super nice guy and passionate about his job...I really respect that. But he often comes across as such an Xbox fanboy. In this most recent example, I literally do not understand the following:

1) How does he possibly think Forza looks better than Driveclub? After comparing the two in videos, it seems like crazy talk.

2) If he thinks resolution and frame rate are not important and not worth mentioning (whenever PS4 is ahead of Xbox One), why does he specifically highlight them in this article (the one time Xbox One is ahead; and only because Driveclub has more impressive graphics)?

I hope before a race there is an option to turn on / off the " walk to the car and enter " sequence.

It would be awesome, like strapping into the cockpit of a jet, to walk up to the car, check it out a bit, sit down in the interior, look around, then start up the engine.

Would love that.

Synth

It's not really final judgement though. It's more commenting on things as they are right now. It was the same with Forza when the 2D crowd first appeared, everyone commented on how they looked at that time. Some people mentioned that the game isn't yet finished, and they maybe be placeholders... and the final game shipped with them anyway. They may get replaced, they may not.. but one thing we know for certain, is how they look at the moment.

Otherwise, you may as well not have any threads about a game until it releases, because any observations you may make (good or bad) are subject to change before release.

I know there are social challenges, but are there modes like "Lap Eliminator", where you race a series of laps and the person in last is eliminated? I always found those fun.

viveks86

I hope before a race there is an option to turn on / off the " walk to the car and enter " sequence.

It would be awesome, like strapping into the cockpit of a jet, to walk up to the car, check it out a bit, sit down in the interior, look around, then start up the engine.

Would love that.

I somehow get the feeling that you will get to do it before every race (the first time). It's a good way to mask the load time AND give you the feels.

I somehow get the feeling that you will get to do it before every race (the first time). It's a good way to mask the load time AND give you the feels.

Didn't they mention pretty fast load times? If I remember just 10 seconds to load the level, then just 1-2 to replay a race. Something like that.

Pretty fast.

But yeah if the initial load into the race is too long, that would be a smart way to mask the load of the rest of the level.

slapnuts

25 tracks and only the point to point ones are worth driving on, how did Evos fuck up this bad?

Driveclub will be DLC hell.

I said this game needed a track creator. Rushy fix this shit.

This track looks awesome. Can't wait to play through it.

ixxfpy3YaGRXb.gif

My favorite track thus far is the Canada track..i foget the name of it.. Forrests of Canada? Oh the track side detail is simply stunning so are the vista's far off of the huge mountains of forests...but the foliage and the amount of various greens used for the foliage along side the creeks and streams running ...all just look beauitful.

This game reminds me so much of PGR so much...racing games like this that are a mix of acrade and sim...are totally fine at 30fps although racers pure sim i rather take the 60fps.....but for DC, 30fps is fine as long as i see this kind of detail and lighting.

viveks86

Didn't they mention pretty fast load times? If I remember just 10 seconds to load the level, then just 1-2 to replay a race. Something like that.

Pretty fast.

But yeah if the initial load into the race is too long, that would be a smart way to mask the load of the rest of the level.

The initial load is 10 sec. But that might be after you get into the car and start the engine. That's the impression I got from that interview. It's still a great way to keep you immersed in the race as opposed to fiddling your thumbs while staring at a loading screen.

My favorite track thus far is the Canada track..i foget the name of it.. Forrests of Canada?

Cayoosh, Canada

Maybe that statement was a way for Ryan McCaffrey to try to convince Phil Spencer to allow him to present Microsoft E3 Press Conference.

Seriously after that embarassing series of tweets begging Phil Spencer for that, I don't know how anyone still takes that guy seriously.

Man I heard an IGN editor was begging on twitter and I knew who it was already. I can't take nothing he says worth a damn because it's all bullshit. He's the don king of IGN. Nobody can overhype shit like him.

slapnuts

"Since we have nothing else on PS4 to compare it to yet, I'd say that Driveclub's 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5's 1080p/60fps looks. I'd give the slight edge to Forza when making a mental comparison, but I'd have to put them side-by-side in order to really make a call."

Ladies and gentlemen. I present to you Ryan McCaffrey.
HECD5kO.png

viveks86

458 spider confirmed?

It’s all then blended together, and the sound team was able to show off an impressively accurate simulacrum of the Ferrari 458 Spider that was sat in the car park outside.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/05/22/taking-driveclub-to-the-track/

Anyone else notice any new cars? So far I've spotted the mini cooper, 458 spider and Nissan GT-R

Also, liked this little detail. Looks like you can schedule races in advance and the system would bring everyone together when it's time.

Much less scary is Driveclub's multiplayer system, which employs a clever bit of matchmaking trickery. Let's say all your friends are busy right now with some odd race or what have you. You can all party up while continuing to go about your own tasks. Then one of you can pull up the multiplayer screen, where matches are scheduled ahead of time at various intervals. You select a match starting in 30 minutes, then spend some time tooling around with your custom livery designs, and before you know it, you and all your friends get a prompt telling you the match is ready to go.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/what-exactly-is-driveclub/1100-6419769/

viveks86

Sid

The Codemasters racing games are like this as well,no?

Loudninja

Some good stuff here.

Assists – There are no assists you can turn on/off in the game. Instead, each of the 50 cars is tuned to feel different from each other.
Tracks – The game's 55 tracks are populated across five countries: Chile, Canada, Scotland, India, and Norway. These include point-to-point races, hill climbs, traditional race tracks, road circuits, 24-hour races, and more.

Literally the moment I read the IGN quote I knew it was Ryan.

this game looks amazing. I guess that's another game on the list for late 2014, sigh

Jimrpg

Any good racing wheels for this? And how much?

I think I read somewhere that the ps3 wheels might not have compatibility with the ps4.

What wheels are they using at the pre e3 event?

And Dat lighting! I forgive them for going 30fps... Its worth it when it looks like that.

Jimrpg

55 tracks??!

Holy shit

55? I want more!

Would love one in rural china, outback Australia, kenya, Italy Dolomites, Switzerland alps and japan.

Drive club 2 should have city and rural tracks. I feel like this is the spiritual successor to PGR so I'm totally on board this game.

Top Bottom