• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Boxarts for complete launch-window lineup (IGN) 12 games before end of year

jarrod

Banned
hirokazu said:
and why is that R: Racing Evolution girl in Ridge Racer?
Because R: Racing Evolution was the fusion of "New Racing Project" and "Ridge Racer 6/Next". In other words it was a certified Ridge Racer (sorry everyone, I know it hurts).

Also, this lineup is crap. Mario & Driller are the only guaranteed purchases imo... I wonder if Nintendo's holding off on Wario Ware so Feel the Magic can get some launch window attention? Really though they should at least have Jam with the Band, Pokemon Dash or One-Line Puzzle there to round things out (I doubt any of the 3 need much in terms of localization). Konami should bring over Zoo Keeper too to have something for launch (they own Success so it wouldn't be a problem). And what happened to Koei's promise of having Dynasty Warriors in time for launch?

belgurdo said:
This round goes to PSP

Is PSP launching in November? No? Then shut up.

It's going to take a BIG game for PSP to have something as good as Mario 64. And who knows what the PSP will even launch with, or when it will launch next year. And it won't matter much, because Sony's tight lip on price and battery life is is making the situation worse.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
belgurdo said:
This round goes to PSP
lol.. by the time the PSP launches the DS will have 100 games and will have been out for the equivalent of 4380 PSP battery uses (yes, that's how many times you will need to recharge your PSP in a year if you play nonstop).

aoi tsuki

borghe said:
lol.. by the time the PSP launches the DS will have 100 games and will have been out for the equivalent of 4380 PSP battery uses (yes, that's how many times you will need to recharge your PSP in a year if you play nonstop).
Huh?

"Third parties don't want to publish for Nintendo systems because first-party games take away all the attention! Nintendo should put more of an emphasis on third-party games and Western developers!!! ZOMG NINTENDO TEH STOOPID!!!!1"

(DS launch lineup announced)

"Where are all the first party games?!?!?!11 Why are there all these third party games from Western developers?!? ZOMG NINTENDO TEH STOOPID!!!!1"

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
seismologist said:
This is alot better than the GBA launch lineup.

No, but only because of Castlevania COTM. :)

It still seems like a weak launch to me. And where is Metroid Prime Hunters? We only get the demo this year?

But I'm still getting a DS at launch; $150 is a great price, and with four games that interest me (Ridge Racer, Mr. Driller, Super Mario, and Feel The Magic), regardless of how they may turn out, I'm definitely gettin the system and games ASAP.

borghe

umm.. yeah, that pretty much sums it up.. nintendo releases tons of first party games causing 3rd parties to hold off, people complain.

nintendo holds off on first party titles to let the third parties jump in head first, people complain.

anyway, IMHO the launch lineup is decent. not perfect, but the only launch lineup that EVER came close to being perfect was the DC. every other one has fallen WAY short in most respects.

That Ridge Racer DS boxart, while at first, scared me, then upon further inspection and time, I grew too appreciate it's nostalgic look to look like the old Ridge Racer cars and such. And to put Gina on the cover is a really cool move, she was a cool character in R: Racing Evolution. R: RE really wasn't THAT bad, it just suffered from been there done that and some sloppy controls!

DrForester said:
122-versiona.jpg

:lol funniest VG cats I've seen

ge-man

Kobun Heat said:
"Third parties don't want to publish for Nintendo systems because first-party games take away all the attention! Nintendo should put more of an emphasis on third-party games and Western developers!!! ZOMG NINTENDO TEH STOOPID!!!!1"

(DS launch lineup announced)

"Where are all the first party games?!?!?!11 Why are there all these third party games from Western developers?!? ZOMG NINTENDO TEH STOOPID!!!!1"

Lol, I was thinking that as well. I guess there wouldn't be as manycomplaints if there were more exciting things coming from third parties, but most aren't coming through on that point.

borghe said:

There's no point in bringing up PSP.

By the time PSP launches we'll be playing games like Advance Wars Viewtiful Joe and Animal Crossing DS. PSP is no competition.

jarrod

Banned
seismologist said:
This is alot better than the GBA launch lineup.
Hell no it's not, not in any region.

GBA Japan
-Super Mario Advance (Nintendo)
-F-Zero Advance (Nintendo)
-Kuru Kuru Kururin (Nintendo)
-Napoleon (Nintendo)

-Advance GTA (MTO)
-Akumajou Dracula: Circle of the Moon (Konami)
-Bakunetsu Dodge Ball Fighters (Atlus)
-Battle Network Rockman.EXE (Capcom)
-Boku Wa Koukuu Kanseikan (Tam)
-Chu Chu Rocket! (Sega)
-Fire Pro Wrestling A (Spike)
-Konami Wai Wai Racing (Konami)
-JGTO Golf Master: Japan Golf Tour Games (Konami)
-J-League Pocket (Konami)
-Momotaru Matsuri (Hudson)
-Monster Guardians (Konami)
-Mr Driller 2 (Namco)
-Pinobee: Quest of the Heart (Hudson)
-PowerPro Kun Pocket 3 (Konami)
-Silent Hill Play Novel (Konami)
-Top Gear All Japan GT (Kotobuki Systems)
-Tweety no Hearty Party (Kotobuki Systems)
-Yu-Gi-OH! Dungeon Dice Monsters (Konami)

GBA USA
-Super Mario Advance (Nintendo)
-F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (Nintendo)

-Army Men Advance (3DO)
-Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Konami)
-Chu Chu Rocket! (Sega)
-Earthworm Jim (Majesco)
-Fire Pro Wrestling (BAM!)
-GT Advance: Championship Racing (THQ)
-Iridion 3D (Majesco)
-Konami Krazy Racers (Konami)
-Namco Museum (Namco)
-Pinobee: Wings of Adevnture (Activision)
-Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (Activision)
-Rayman Advance (UbiSoft)
-Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 (Midway)
-Super Dodge Ball Advance (Atlus)
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Activision)

DS Japan
-Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
-Chokkan HitoFude (Nintendo)
-Daigassou Band Brothers (Nintendo)
-Pocket Monsters Dash Grand-Prix (Pokemon Company)
-Sawaru Made in Wario! (Nintendo)

-Kenshuui Tendou Dokuta (Spike)
-Kimi no Tame Nara Shineru (Sega)
-Mahjong Taikai (Koei)
-Mr Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)
-The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts)
-Tounou Ni Asekaku Game Vol.1: Cool 104 Joker & Setline (Aruze)
-Zoo Keeper (Success)

DS USA
-Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)

-Asphalt Urban GT (UbiSoft)
-Feel the Magic: XY-XX (Sega)
-Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts)
-Mr Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)
-Ping Pals (THQ)
-Rayman DS (UbiSoft)
-Ridge Racer DS (Namco)
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
-The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 2(Electronic Arts)

The biggest appeal of the DS is that it's a new way to play games. In that sense all of the games are brand new. Hell for the first time ever I'm even looking forward to playing Madden.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
uh, this is easily one of the worst system launches ever.
It's better than the JP launches of PS1, DC, PS2 or GC I'd say actually. This time though the US doesn't get the benefit of a staggered launch building up JP releases.

jarrod

Banned
ArcadeStickMonk said:
Wait a sec, is there, or is there not, a portable Mr Driller game out in the states right now?
There's Mr Driller on GBC, that's it. Mr Driller 2 got a Euro release from Atari also.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
jarrod said:
It's better than the JP launches of PS1, DC, PS2 or GC I'd say actually. This time though the US doesn't get the benefit of a staggered launch building up JP releases.
That's true, not a lot of people are aware of that since it's usually the other way around.

I'm almost positive Castlevania launched along with the GBA.

jarrod said:
There's Mr Driller on GBC, that's it. Mr Driller 2 got a Euro release from Atari also.
But, the GBA isn't region locked is it? Which means a Euro copy of Driller 2 should be flying to me right this damn minute.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
TekunoRobby said:
That's true, not a lot of people are aware of that since it's usually the other way around.

I'll give you the DC (Japanese) launch (VF3tb being the only game worth getting and then Sonic in December '98 was it for the year), but all the other system launches had at least 1-2 "big" games that launched with them. You can't say that for the DS.

TekunoRobby said:
I'm almost positive Castlevania launched along with the GBA.

It definitely launched with the Japanese GBA; not sure about the U.S. launch.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Lyte Edge said:
I'll give you the DC (Japanese) launch (VF3tb being the only game worth getting and then Sonic in December '98 was it for the year), but all the other system launches had at least 1-2 "big" games that launched with them. You can't say that for the DS.
Ehh oops, I meant the second part of his statement. I wouldn't have a clue about the system launches he mentioned.

Usually US launches are pretty decent since they have a couple of months lead time over the Japanese counterparts and there are more game opportunities. I actually prefer this since I don't mind waiting and plus I get a much more varied and better selection.

I swear I bought C:CotM for launch, that or it was really close too it. It was one of the games that made me excited for the GBA launch.

jarrod

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
The JP PS1 had only one 'big' game in Ridge Racer. The N64 had Mario 64. JP PS2 had RRV. Saturn had VF1... now that I think about it, most JP system launches are crap.

I'd say Mario 64 DS counts as a 'big' game as well, and DS actually has more variety than any of those other launches... but it still pales in comparison to GBA.

Lyte Edge said:
It definitely launched with the Japanese GBA; not sure about the U.S. launch.
It launched in both regions actually (I got Mario, F-Zero & CV all at once).

I got my GBA at Japanese launch and there were only 4 games for like a month. F-Zero and Mario were almost straight SNES ports.

And you haven't seen bad launch unless you were a early adopter of a Japanese PS2.
uh, Ridge Racer....Tekken a month later.....The Bouncer....

seismologist said:
Ill probably get these

nintendo-ds-box-art-20041020001405173-000.jpg
nintendo-ds-box-art-20041020013546126-000.jpg
nintendo-ds-box-art-20041020031644370-000.jpg

nintendo-ds-box-art-20041019044634522-000.jpg

I basically want to try all of them though. Even Tiger Woods looks like it could be kind of cool.

Ditto, I may also pick up Urb's or sprung just for shit's and giggles.

jarrod

Banned
seismologist said:
I got my GBA at Japanese launch and there were only 4 games for like a month.
Uh... perhaps you missed my list? There were 4 games from Nintendo... and 19 from 3rd parties. Almost every genre covered too, platform, adventure, RPG, puzzle, racing, strategy, sports, simulation...

seismologist said:
F-Zero and Mario were almost straight SNES ports.
Maximum Velocity is not an F-Zero SNES port. The tracks are completely different, the controls are different, the vehicles are different (and CG rendered at that), the music is all new, the visuals are much better.... hell, that's like saying Ridge Racer and Rage Racer are the same thing.

Mario Advance also had touched up visuals/audio over the All-Stars version (new BGs, saturated color, voices, etc) and Mario Bros Classic added. It wasn't a straight port either.

jarrod

Banned
Here's the confirmed PSP launch lineups so far for comparison...

Japan
-Doraslot Super Hanana 30 (Dorado)
-Need for Speed Underground Rivals (Electronic Arts)
-Puyo Puyo Fever (Sega)
-Ren-Goku: The Tower of Purgatory (Hudson)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour (Electronic Arts)

USA
-Need for Speed Underground Rivals (Electronic Arts)
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour R (Electronic Arts)
-Tony Hawk's UnderGround 2: World Destruction Tour (Activision)

borghe

lol.. considering nothing else is confirmed i.e. launch date, launch price, battery life, etc.. I'll take those titles with a grain of salt.. :p

Alcibiades

yeah, is anybody taking Sony seriously right now...

they plan to launch this year and no date, price, or anything set?

Do they launch before or after DS?

does someone know the answer to at least that...

Nintendo is already preparing for a massive strike in 2005 with lots of big franchises (especially FF3)...

they're playing to win this year and next year, not waiting around for whatever Sony does...

rawk

Looks like Nintendo just wants to give third parties some time to really establish them selves. Probably would have been smart to do this with the Cube as well - use the game void of a system launch to give third parties a chance for their games to sell in artificially high quanitities, hopefully leading to continued third party support.

Insertia

jarrod said:

I agree. Overall DS's Jap. launch titles are better compared to those four systems Jap. launches, but PS2 and DC's North American launch was certanly more impressive than DS's.

Alcibiades

rawk said:
Looks like Nintendo just wants to give third parties some time to really establish them selves. Probably would have been smart to do this with the Cube as well - use the game void of a system launch to give third parties a chance for their games to sell in artificially high quanitities, hopefully leading to continued third party support.
Pro Skater 3 and Madden '02 did really well at launch, and right now, they are the leading 3rd parties on GCN putting them ahead of other multiplatform publishers (successes like James Bond games, Spiderman games, Tony Hawk games continues)...

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
I agree. Overall DS's Jap. launch titles are better compared to those four systems Jap. launches, but PS2 and DC's North American launch was certanly more impressive than DS's.
I'd agree there. PS1, Saturn, GC & Xbox also had excellent US launches, better than the US DS I'd say.

GBA still goes down as the best handheld launch ever though, and it's JP launch is a serious contender for best launch over consoles too.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I think Sprung has the potential to sell very well...assuming the rest of the marketing campaign (if there is any) matches the attitude they're going for as exemplified by the boxart.

borghe

my god some of you people have selective memories:

PS1 launch.. battle arena toshinden, espn extreme games..... that was it.. tekken a little while after (though nowhere near the greatness that started with tekken 2)

Saturn launch.. whoever said this was great needs to be beaten. VF and PD for like 4 months... Bug sometime in there also.. the saturn's US launch is possibly the worst system launch of all time.

PS2 launch.. SSX, Madden 2001, and TTT were, according to almost every publication and then forum dweller, the only three games worth picking up at launch.

XBox.. Halo does not a great launch make.

The GCN was alright though nothing special, and DC was awesome (still probably the best launch ever).

I guess I just can't see how some of you guys were saying these were great launches...

jarrod

Banned
borghe said:
my god some of you people have selective memories:

PS1 launch.. battle arena toshinden, espn extreme games..... that was it.. tekken a little while after (though nowhere near the greatness that started with tekken 2)

Saturn launch.. whoever said this was great needs to be beaten. VF and PD for like 4 months... Bug sometime in there also.. the saturn's US launch is possibly the worst system launch of all time.

PS2 launch.. SSX, Madden 2001, and TTT were, according to almost every publication and then forum dweller, the only three games worth picking up at launch.

XBox.. Halo does not a great launch make.

The GCN was alright though nothing special, and DC was awesome (still probably the best launch ever).

I guess I just can't see how some of you guys were saying these were great launches...
I wouldn't call any of them great... but neither is DS. Saturn had some other good launch stuff (WW Soccer, Daytona, WSB... Astal a little later) as did PS1 (Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Ridge Racer, Rayman, etc). Now that I think about it, DS is on par with those.

Bob's just a troll, you're better off ignoring him.

borghe

Ridge Racer and Warhawk I forgot..

Twisted Metal I thought came after launch?

and rayman iirc DEFINITELY came after launch because I picked it up when it released and the only two games I picked up at launch were BAT and ESPN.

borghe

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Nah, N64's was the worst. I bought Mario 64, and rented Pilotwings, and then waited months for another decent game.
the N64 was pretty bad.. but turok came out before too long which was decent as did Star Wars SotE. While not a great or even a good game, to this day it still was one of the only games ever to completely blow me away. It was pretty cool to finally be thrust into the star wars universe with that kind of visual and audio stimulation.

Although I think most people were kind to the N64 launch because we only had to wait 6 months for another one of the greatest video games of all time to be released for it.

Top Bottom