• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Boxarts for complete launch-window lineup (IGN) 12 games before end of year

jarrod

Banned
borghe said:
Ridge Racer and Warhawk I forgot..

Twisted Metal I thought came after launch?

and rayman iirc DEFINITELY came after launch because I picked it up when it released and the only two games I picked up at launch were BAT and ESPN.
Huh, I thought both Rayman & TM were launch but maybe I'm rembering wrong? Rayman might've been Novemeber '95 (along with the Saturn version)?

"Although I think most people were kind to the N64 launch because we only had to wait 6 months for another one of the greatest video games of all time to be released for it."

???????What? What game do you speak of?

jarrod

Banned
borghe said:
the N64 was pretty bad.. but turok came out before too long which was decent as did Star Wars SotE. While not a great or even a good game, to this day it still was one of the only games ever to completely blow me away. It was pretty cool to finally be thrust into the star wars universe with that kind of visual and audio stimulation.

Although I think most people were kind to the N64 launch because we only had to wait 6 months for another one of the greatest video games of all time to be released for it.
Turok came out in early 1996 (after Mario Kart iirc). Wave Race 64 saved N64 after Mario for me. :)

jarrod

Banned
ArcadeStickMonk said:
Did anybody randomly claim the the US Dreamcast launch was the best ever yet?
CuzitwuZ
Actually, I'd take US SNES over US DC (and I'm not a big SNES fan either).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ArcadeStickMonk said:
Did anybody randomly claim the the US Dreamcast launch was the best ever yet?
CuzitwuZ
I did.. US Dreamcast is possibly the greatest system launch of all time. An AAA title for everyone no matter what type of game they played.

jarrod - I thought I remember Turok coming out late 1996. (the system launched 8/96). I forgot about Wave Race.. I don't know how I could have. It kept me VERY busy during the week I was laid up after my surgery.

Wave Race Blue Storm = underrated :(

jarrod said:
Actually, I'd take US SNES over US DC (and I'm not a big SNES fan either).
IIRC SNES was ALSO pretty bad. SMW and Pilot Wings, and then early games like Area 51, ActRaiser, etc. IIRC SMW was the only real game worth picking up for some months after launch (luckily it was packed in).

borghe said:
my god some of you people have selective memories:

PS1 launch.. battle arena toshinden, espn extreme games..... that was it.. tekken a little while after (though nowhere near the greatness that started with tekken 2)

In the US, those games were in addition to Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Doom, Twisted Metal, Warhawk, etc. One of the best US lineups at launch, ever.

Saturn launch.. whoever said this was great needs to be beaten. VF and PD for like 4 months... Bug sometime in there also.. the saturn's US launch is possibly the worst system launch of all time.

This launch sucked. I didn't think so at the time -- I used to be a HUGE hardcore Sega/Nintendo fanboy.... Outside of PD and VF....not so good.

PS2 launch.. SSX, Madden 2001, and TTT were, according to almost every publication and then forum dweller, the only three games worth picking up at launch.

The US launch was still not as piss-in-your-mouth-awful as the Japanese launch, but Sky Odyssey, RRV, DOA 2, and few others made it a barely OK one....only because, as someone already pointed out, the US DC launch was fucking amazing and kinda makes everything afterward a little slim and less-exciting by comparison.

XBox.. Halo does not a great launch make.
Ummm...DOA3, SSX Tricky, PGR 1, Amped, Munch's...plus some other stuff. Hardly a one-game-launch. Very good launch, IMO.

The GCN was alright though nothing special, and DC was awesome (still probably the best launch ever).

SMB, LM, Rogue Squadron, SSX Tricky, etc. Pretty good launch....and yes, DC's US debut is pretty hard to beat.

I guess I just can't see how some of you guys were saying these were great launches...

I think the problem with DS' launch is that there's been, like, ZERO time for previews and proper information about the launch titles...of course, outside of Nintendo's own stuff. It would be interesting if Nintendo were actually trying to give space to 3rd party stuff, like some have suggested...but I smell rushed launch. Still, doubt it'll affect the initial sales of the system, as backward compatibility will save the day for many (after they tire of the 1 or 2 titles that they were interested in)...just like the PS2. I have doubts about it changing the sales patterns of a Nintendo system...where Nintendo generally gets the lion's share. It seems (to me) that Nintendo is trying to entrench DS before PSP hits...not sure why exactly, as GBA will hold the fort down while they could make DS' first impression a more impressive one in the US. Hopefully, the 1st qtr. stuff is genuinely more interesting-sounding.

jarrod

Banned
borghe said:
jarrod - I thought I remember Turok coming out late 1996. (the system launched 8/96). I forgot about Wave Race.. I don't know how I could have. It kept me VERY busy during the week I was laid up after my surgery.
Er... I meant early 1997 for Turok (around April iirc). And yes, Wave Race 64 ruled... it's tied with F-Zero X, Daytona CCE & Rage Racer as my favorite racer last gen. :)

borghe said:
IIRC SNES was ALSO pretty bad. SMW and Pilot Wings, and then early games like Area 51, ActRaiser, etc. IIRC SMW was the only real game worth picking up for some months after launch (luckily it was packed in).
Don't forget F-Zero & Sim City. Gradius III, Mystical Ninja, Castlevania 4, Final Fight, UN Squadron, Actraiser and others all coming early on were great too. :)

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
When the strongest title is a port of a launch N64 game you know things aren't spectacular.
It's not a port exactly. PS2's strongest launch game was essentially a remake of a PS1 launch game.

borghe

I stand corrected on the SNES launch.. looking back through usenet F-Zero and SMW were pretty great titles to launch with and more great titles (Super G&G, Final Fight, and Super R-Type) followed... SNES was ok.. (and I meant UN Squadron.. don't know why I said Area 51)

As for XBox, first I'm not a DOA fan so yes I'm baised against that POS, second SSX Tricky and Amped did not launch with xbox.. so that leaves the mixed oddworld and pgr games.

Mrbob said:
When the strongest title is a port of a launch N64 game you know things aren't spectacular.
When your best argument against a system launch is that it contains Super Mario 64, you're insane.

Mrbob

jarrod said:
It's not a port exactly. PS2's strongest launch game was essentially a remake of a PS1 launch game.

Dynasty Warriors 2 (The beginning of a new era), SSX. UH OH. Potatowned. Look at that, two new popular franchises.

KobunHeat said:
When your best argument against a system launch is that it contains Super Mario 64, you're insane.

Not when it is 2004. Or did I hit a time warp and it is 1996 all over again?!

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
Dynasty Warriors 2 (The beginning of a new era), SSX. UH OH. Potatowned. Look at that, two new popular franchises.
Neither of which launched alongside PS2... at least when it first released. If DS got the same 8 month luxury to build up content, then you might have a point.

borghe

Mrbob said:
I believe he said STRONGEST launch game.. I wasn't aware that DW2 and SSX were what caused hundreds of thousands of PS2s to fly off the shelves.. :\

Mrbob

jarrod said:
Neither of which launched alongside PS2... at least when it first released. If DS got the same 8 month luxury to build up content, then you might have a point.

I bought them both at launch. If you are comparing Japan PS2 launch with NA DS launch that is weak sauce. I compare NA versus NA launches.

aoi tsuki

MightyHedgehog said:
I think the problem with DS' launch is that there's been, like, ZERO time for previews and proper information about the launch titles...of course, outside of Nintendo's own stuff. It would be interesting if Nintendo were actually trying to give space to 3rd party stuff, like some have suggested...but I smell rushed launch. Still, doubt it'll affect the initial sales of the system, as backward compatibility will save the day for many (after they tire of the 1 or 2 titles that they were interested in)...just like the PS2. I have doubts about it changing the sales patterns of a Nintendo system...where Nintendo generally gets the lion's share. It seems (to me) that Nintendo is trying to entrench DS before PSP hits...not sure why exactly, as GBA will hold the fort down while they could make DS' first impression a more impressive one in the US. Hopefully, the 1st qtr. stuff is genuinely more interesting-sounding.
Agreed.

i think Nintendo's smart to release DS now before PSP. Even if PSP launches at $299, the graphic abilities along with the video and music playback will make the less graphically-capable DS a harder sell. It's important for Nintendo that they build a base now, and with a few key titles, a loyal community while they can. Nintendo will always have the upper hand in price, but currently Sony has the upper hand in image.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
Uhhh, I bought them both at launch. If you are comparing Japan PS2 launch with NA DS launch that is weak sauce. I compare NA versus NA launches.
I'm comparing initial launches, regardless of region... which seems more fair I'd say. Take a look...

PlayStation 2
-A-Train 6 (ArtDink)
-Eternal Ring (From Software)
-Fantavision (SCEI)
-Kakinoki Shoogi IV (Ascii)
-Ridge Racer V (Namco)
-Street Fighter EX 3 (Capcom)

Nintendo DS
-Asphalt Urban GT (UbiSoft)
-Feel the Magic: XY-XX (Sega)
-Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts)
-Mr Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)
-Ping Pals (THQ)
-Rayman DS (UbiSoft)
-Ridge Racer DS (Namco)
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
-Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
-The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 2(Electronic Arts)

...if DS had 8 months between US and Japan like PS2 (rather than launching in the US two weeks before Japan), it'd likely have the best system launch in history (Egg Monster Hero, Viewtiful Joe, Bomberman, Yu-Gi-Oh, Goemon, Pac-Pix, Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, Wario Ware, Dynasty Warriors, etc).

vitaflo

MightyHedgehog said:
I think the problem with DS' launch is that there's been, like, ZERO time for previews and proper information about the launch titles...of course, outside of Nintendo's own stuff. It would be interesting if Nintendo were actually trying to give space to 3rd party stuff, like some have suggested...but I smell rushed launch.

You gotta remember it's launching in NA before Japan. Usually we get 6-8 months of build up *after* a Japanese launch of a system. That's 6-8 months of lost hype, playtime with a released Japanese machine, and dev time for other games. We're just going through the same thing the Japanese always have, it's just seems rushed because we're not used to it. Same thing happened to the GBA in Japan.

jarrod

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
I think it's more fair to compare same territory launches to same territory launches...but that's my opinion.
But why? In the case of DS (or Xbox) they lose valuable time to build up Japanese content that other consoles enjoy. What if DC had released here in November 1998 with just VF3 ready? Or PS2 in March 2000 with just Fantavision, RRV and SFEX3? The primary reason these platforms had excellent US launch lineups (and yes PS2 launch was great imo, STFU haters) was because they came 8-9 months later than the machine was ready for market.

Likewsie what if Xbox released in September of 2002 with all the games it had amassed? Or DS wasn't due until next August? Their launch lineups would destroy what we'd had previously.

Mrbob

Maybe this is a good lesson for Nintendo to delay the launch of Nintendoods for 8-9 months.

And don't forget that Xbox had one of the biggest launch titles of all time. If MS launch their portable version of Xbox in 5-7 with a slightly upgraded remake of Halo I'll be saying the same thing.

BTW just so I don't seem like 'teh bias', the PSP lineup blows right now too.

Insertia

jarrod said:
I'm comparing initial launches, regardless of region... which seems more fair I'd say. Take a look...

PlayStation 2
-A-Train 6 (ArtDink)
-Eternal Ring (From Software)
-Fantavision (SCEI)
-Kakinoki Shoogi IV (Ascii)
-Ridge Racer V (Namco)
-Street Fighter EX 3 (Capcom)

Nintendo DS
-Asphalt Urban GT (UbiSoft)
-Feel the Magic: XY-XX (Sega)
-Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts)
-Mr Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)
-Ping Pals (THQ)
-Rayman DS (UbiSoft)
-Ridge Racer DS (Namco)
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
-Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
-The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 2(Electronic Arts)

...if DS had 8 months between US and Japan like PS2 (rather than launching in the US two weeks before Japan), it'd likely have the best system launch in history (Egg Monster Hero, Viewtiful Joe, Bomberman, Yu-Gi-Oh, Goemon, Pac-Pix, Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, Wario Ware, Dynasty Warriors, etc).

DS doesn't have 8 months, so the comparison makes no sense. You're distorting things to suit your say. :)

Memles

We elitist gamers are sitting her saying it sucks (I'm not buying one at launch, either), whereas casuals will say "Mario! Madden! Sims! Spider-Man!".

It's not bad quantity wise. It's not bad in the eyes of a casual gamer. It's not something to delay the machine over, nor is it something that will ruin the system.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
DS doesn't have 8 months, so the comparison makes no sense. You're distorting things to suit your say. :)
DS not having that 8 extra months makes any PS2 comparsion unfair by default. The only reason DC & PS2 had excellent western launch lineups was because both were delayed nearly a year between regions. I'd say that makes the launch lineups of GBA, GC, Xbox and DS all the more impressive, releasing relatively quick between Japan and America (1-4 months). PSP should fall in there to if Sony sticks to their timeline.

MightyHedgehog said:
My reasoning is that we're talking about the NA launch of the DS. Not the Japanese or other territory launch in this thread.
Actually we've been talking about various region launches for awhile... before any console were brought up for comparison in fact.

Mrbob

Doesn't matter.

DS isn't launching in Japan and NA 8 months later. It is launching in NA first. Compare apples to apples which is NA to NA launch.

GBA USA
-Super Mario Advance (Nintendo)
-F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (Nintendo)

-Army Men Advance (3DO)
-Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Konami)
-Chu Chu Rocket! (Sega)
-Earthworm Jim (Majesco)
-Fire Pro Wrestling (BAM!)
-GT Advance: Championship Racing (THQ)
-Iridion 3D (Majesco)
-Konami Krazy Racers (Konami)
-Namco Museum (Namco)
-Pinobee: Wings of Adevnture (Activision)
-Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (Activision)
-Rayman Advance (UbiSoft)
-Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 (Midway)
-Super Dodge Ball Advance (Atlus)
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Activision)

I dont see how this is so much better than the DS lineup.

Mario 64 DS >>>> Super Mario Advance
Mr Driller >> Chu Chu Rocket
Feel the Magic >>>> (take your pick)
Ridge Racer DS = F-Zero
Spiderman DS = Castlevania CotM
Asphalt GT = GT Advance
Rayman DS = Rayman Advance
Madden = Tony Hawk

Then you've still got Tiger Woods and Metroid Hunters demo.
Seems pretty close for one being the best lineup ever vs. the "worst" launch ever.

Insertia

jarrod said:
DS not having that 8 extra months makes any PS2 comparsion unfair by default. The only reason DC & PS2 had excellent western launch lineups was because both were delayed nearly a year between regions. I'd say that makes the launch lineups of GBA, GC, Xbox and DS all the more impressive, releasing relatively quick between Japan and America (1-4 months). PSP should fall in there to if Sony sticks to their timeline.

A region launch is a region launch no matter what timeframe it has.
Your assertion of it is just silly.

borghe

lol.. talking about twisting the argument to suit your own point...

the NA launch for PS2 was 8 months after the system went to retail.

to compare apples to apples we would have to look at where the DS is 8 months after it went to retail.

the ONLY NA launch you can compare DS to is XBox (though GCN and N64 both launched in america only a couple months after they launched in Japan).

it isn't silly for the simple reason that SCEA had MANY more games to choose from for the NA PS2 launch than Nintendo does. Why? Because the games were already released in a different territory.

Insertia

seismologist said:

Ridge Racer DS = F-Zero
Asphalt GT = GT Advance
Madden = Tony Hawk

Seems pretty close for one being the best lineup ever vs. the "worst" launch ever.

*shakes head in pity*

aoi tsuki

i don't think we'll see a launch like the US DC launch for some time, if ever. Sega basically blew it's load at launch with Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, Marvel vs Capcom, and a few other lesser but good titles. It was cool to have something for everyone, but at the same time a month later, PS2 hype picked up while some minor titles were released on DC. i'd much rather have a game a month to look forward to during the first year of a system's life than have a handful of titles and then nothing for a couple of months or so.

Deg

Banned
ssssh you dont want to mention and japan in the same sentence.

DS launch is pretty amazing. Lots of solid games, lots of big name games. We'll see which companies get the most of out of the launch. There's a good mix of games.

borghe

seismologist said:

Ridge Racer DS = F-Zero
Asphalt GT = GT Advance
Madden = Tony Hawk

the only ones I disagree with are Spider-Man, Ridge Racer, Asphalt GT (from what I've seen) and Madden. GT Advance was amazing (minus the lack of save), Tony Hawk and COTM are two of the greatest handheld games ever made, and Ridge Racer even on it's best day can't compete with mode7 f-zero..

oh, and if Rayman DS is Rayman 2 then Rayman DS >>> Rayman Advance.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
Doesn't matter.

DS isn't launching in Japan and NA 8 months later. It is launching in NA first. Compare apples to apples which is NA to NA launch.
I'm done with this argument, it's pretty clear what your initial intentions were in this thread and you continually ignore concrete points which point to the contrary. Troll away.

seismologist said:

Ridge Racer DS = F-Zero
Asphalt GT = GT Advance
Madden = Tony Hawk

Er sorry, I'd take F-Zero and Castlevania alone over the entire DS lineup (besides Mario 64). The fact you're equating them with RRDS and Spider-Man makes me wonder if you've ever played them honestly... and GBA had much more 2nd teir filler stuff to chose from.

Mrbob

jarrod said:
I'm done with this argument, it's pretty clear what your initial intentions were in this thread and you continually ignore concrete points which point to the contrary. Troll away.

One persons troll is another persons strong point which is completely oblivious by the person accusing the other of trolling. :D

jarrod said:
The fact you're equating them with RRDS and Spider-Man makes me wonder if you've ever played them honestly... and GBA had much more 2nd teir filler stuff to chose from.

Spiderman DS looks very promising from the footage shown. Too bad people are going to write it off because of the license.
I played F-Zero MV. It rocks. But I think Ridge Racer can be just as fun.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
One persons troll is another persons strong point which is completely oblivious by the person accusing the other of trolling. :D
Sorry it went over my head then... what was this "strong point" again? That DS is in trouble because it has Mario, Madden, Sims, Rayman, Ridge Racer & Spider-Man at launch?

jarrod

Banned
seismologist said:
Spiderman DS looks very promising from the footage shown. Too bad people are going to write it off because of the license.
I played F-Zero MV. It rocks. But I think Ridge Racer can be just as fun.
I'm not writing off Spider-Man, it looks great... but really it's just another level based platformer unlike CotM, which was a pretty kick ass adventure/RPG. And I've got little faith in Ridge Racer when NST's doing it.

Top Bottom