• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Boxarts for complete launch-window lineup (IGN) 12 games before end of year

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Mrbob said:
One persons troll is another persons strong point which is completely oblivious by the person accusing the other of trolling. :D
what is your strong point? That PS2 and DC had 7+ months worth of game releases in a different territory to harvest from for their US launch and DS doesn't? That IP's like Mario, Madden, Ridge Racer, Spider-Man, and Rayman are somehow deficient IPs to be launching with despite other systems launching with identical IPs?

Really, what's your point?

borghe

SolidSnakex said:
That the launch isn't impressive.
even though it contains IPs, and in some cases games, used in support of arguments of other successful launches... :\

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
borghe said:
even though it contains IPs, and in some cases games, used in support of arguments of other successful launches... :\

Getting a taste of your own medicine, eh? That's pretty much how you come off when you declare that Halo is not a good game. :)

borghe said:

The reason those games were considered good for those launches is because they weren't ports. Mario 64 DS is a port, Ridge Racer is a port (of the worst game in the entire series). It doesn't have the same impact when you've played the game already.

"Compared to what though?"

The US PS2 launch.

MacGuffin

Anyone know if Human/Spike is on board for the DS? I would love to see a Fire Pro DS in Japan or here, I don't care, I FAQed it through the Dreamcast version and it's still my favorite wrestling game of all time. One of my Top 15 games of all time probably for me.

FoneBone

Memles said:
We elitist gamers are sitting her saying it sucks (I'm not buying one at launch, either), whereas casuals will say "Mario! Madden! Sims! Spider-Man!".

It's not bad quantity wise. It's not bad in the eyes of a casual gamer. It's not something to delay the machine over, nor is it something that will ruin the system.
This is probably true. Personally, though, I'll be waiting a while to actually get one.

borghe

SolidSnakex said:
The reason those games were considered good for those launches is because they weren't ports. Mario 64 DS is a port, Ridge Racer is a port (of the worst game in the entire series). It doesn't have the same impact when you've played the game already.
I don't agree.. maybe ridge racer, but Mario 64 a) contains numerous additions, b) is simply a classic game that will never get old aka SMB3 and SMW, and c) is old enough (over 8 years) that there are many people who HAVEN't played it probably and even those of us who have probably haven't even put 5 minutes into it in at least 5-6 years.

Rayman 2, as has once said before judging by DC and PS2 numbers, obviously HASN'T been played by lots of people.

and that there is the extent of the ports. meanwhile, we still get a new sega IP, a new madden version, a new Mr. Driller game, a new racing game (that reports are coming in that it's ok), a new EA IP that is launching on other systems as well (and has the backing of a sister IP), etc.

I also think there is a LOT of criticizing of this launch without any practical experience also. I think on November 28th we will have a MUCH clearer idea on if the launch sucks or not. But a month before without having played a single one of the games (except for Mario 64 and RR, but even then not really) I think all of us are pretty much talking from our asses.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Ridge Racer is a port (of the worst game in the entire series).
It's not an R4 port. :p

SolidSnakex said:
"Compared to what though?"

The US PS2 launch.
Which again brings the regional delay back up... how impressive would the US PS2 have looked in February 2000 with just Fantavision, SFEX3 & RRV?

JScott said:
Anyone know if Human/Spike is on board for the DS?
Spike is, in fact they've got Tendo Doctor ready for launch.

jarrod said:
Which again brings the regional delay back up... how impressive would the US PS2 have looked in February 2000 with just Fantavision, SFEX3 & RRV?

Sony knew they couldn't rush the launch out for then though so they pulled it back till they had enough games ready to go for it. Nintendo should've looked into doing the same instead of shoving the DS out now.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Sony knew they couldn't rush the launch out for then though so they pulled it back till they had enough games ready to go for it. Nintendo should've looked into doing the same instead of shoving the DS out now.
What... 12 games isn't enough?

Look, I'm personally not too excited about the US launch (Mario & Driller being the only definite buys) and I agree PS2's US launch was better overall, but bob really had no point here. Saying the launch was in trouble because Mario 64 DS is the highest profile game? That's just a cry for attention...

I'd like to see stuff like Wario Ware, Jam with the Band and One-Line Puzzle too on launch day but the truth is (as others have said) in terms of franchises and brands, this is actually a rather solid launch for the market. Hell, just Madden and Mario would be enough for most casual buyers, and there's a bit more than that.

Mrbob

I didn't say the Nintendo DS launch was in trouble. I said it sucked. :) I know how rabid Nintendo fanboys are they'll eat it up. :D

blah who cares, most casual gamers are just gonna stick a GBA cart in there and play anyway

This is true. I'm considering trading in my GBA towards a Nintendoods once the real Mario game comes out for it.

Buggy Loop

Mario 64 DS + Feel the magic + spiderman 2 + rayman DS, and maybe some sport titles that im really not sure about yet (tiger wood looks fun though) >>>>>>>>> GBA's launch lineup, which only had THPS2 worth a damn. Heck, mario64 DS, even if the single player is pretty much the same as the n64 version, has so much new content, it destroys GBA's launch lineup by itself easily.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
I didn't say the Nintendo DS launch was in trouble. I said it sucked. :) I know how rabid Nintendo fanboys are they'll eat it up. :D
Actually you siad it wasn't spectacular due to the headline game being a remake... never mind that PS2's headlining game was essentially a remake.

Bah, who cares about only the launch titles, 12 is plenty...I'm more interested to see how often new games come in. I think the launch games are a decent start but they must continually bring in new games each month or so.

I think the disappointmnet comes from the fact that there is no standout NEW 'System Seller' type title, made for the DS, which has never been seen before.

Actually, the game I'm most interested in is 'Feel the Magic XX/XY'

Can't wait.

jarrod

Banned
Well, DS looks to have a nice follow through in early 2005, from what I can recall...

-Advance Wars DS
-Bomberman DS
-Cadecus: Surgical Operation
-Dynasty Warriors
-Egg Monster Hero
-Frogger 2005
-Ganbare Goemon DS
-GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
-Jam with the Band
-Meteos
-Nanostray
-Need for Speed Underground
-One-Line Puzzle
-Pac-Pix
-Puppy Times
-Viewtiful Joe DS
-Wario Ware Inc, DS
-Yoshi's Touch & Go
-Yu-Gi-OH! Nightmare Troubadour

...among others.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
What game is that?
Ridge Racer V. It's really a RR remake at it's core... granted to the point where it's something new, but the same could be argued for Mario 64 DS.

In the US, I guess it could be Madden 2001... which actually falls into the same category somewhat.

neptunes

Scalemail Ted said:
Bah, who cares about only the launch titles, 12 is plenty...I'm more interested to see how often new games come in. I think the launch games are a decent start but they must continually bring in new games each month or so.

Can't wait.

I agree
The launch line-up sucks, though I'm more interested to see how often the better titles come out. (doesn't look like NA is getting much for the remainder of the year)

Insertia

jarrod said:
Ridge Racer V. It's really a RR remake at it's core... granted to the point where it's something new, but the same could be argued for Mario 64 DS.

In the US, I guess it could be Madden 2001... which actually falls into the same category somewhat.

Are you serious?

madara

Rofl this thread is hilarous. Really stop the damn importing if going say every stinkin system you imported had sucky launch. Saturn, PS1, everything up to supergraphxs one game easily eats this sad line up.

madara said:
Rofl this thread is hilarous. Really stop the damn importing if going say every stinkin system you imported had sucky launch. Saturn, PS1, everything up to supergraphxs one game easily eats this sad line up.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. And I don't mean that as an insult. The entire statement looks as if its been babelfished. :-/

Mrbob

Are you serious?

I thinks so! :lol

To add more fuel to the fire, the article specifically states that these 12 titles will be out by the end of the year and not all of them are launch titles. Looks like that launch list will be shrinking. :)

Mrbob said:
I thinks so! :lol

To add more fuel to the fire, the article specifically states that these 12 titles will be out by the end of the year and not all of them are launch titles. Looks like that launch list will be shrinking. :)

Yeah, its my understanding that some of the titles will be releasing anywhere from one week to a few weeks after launch. But all within a month of launch...since the NDS is being released at the end of November and the games are being released up until christmas.

neptunes said:
just to let you know (for the millionth time)

Feel the magic will be released 4 days after launch

...carry on!

>??>

ebgames.com:

Feel The Magic: XY/XX
Pre-Order: Ships on 11/15/2004

$29.99
Publisher: SEGA OF AMERICA INC.
ESRB: Teen

-------------

gamestop.com

Feel The Magic
Publisher: Sega of America
Developer: Sega of America
Platform: DS
Category: Platform

Pre-Release
ETA: 11/22/04 $29.99

--------------

Gamespot.com

Feel the Magic: XY/XX
Publisher: Sega Developer: Sonic Team Genre: Adventure Release Date: 11/15/2004

---------------

IGN

Publisher
SEGA
Developer
Sonic Team
Genre
Action
Origin: Japan
Release Date
November 21, 2004
ESRB Rating: RP

Leviathan

Banned
naz said:
blah who cares, most casual gamers are just gonna stick a GBA cart in there and play anyway :)

And they are going to buy Madden and Mario 64 DS in very large numbers. The NDS is also going to eat the PSP alive.

nintendo-ds-box-art-20041019044633725.jpg

Haha....I can't get over the fact that this is for real.... much less a launch title for NA.

jarrod said:
It's not an R4 port. :p

R4 had alot of problems, but nowhere near as many as RR64. RR64 looked terrible, sounded bad although it had decent courses and handling. RRT4 still has the best music in the series, looks great, has good handling and some really nice course designs, it was also one of the first racers to have a deeper single player mode than your typical racer.

"To add more fuel to the fire, the article specifically states that these 12 titles will be out by the end of the year and not all of them are launch titles. Looks like that launch list will be shrinking. "

One of those is going to be Rayman. They had to show a picture of the N64 version of the game instead of the actual DS version of it.

Wait... Sprung let's you choose what gender you're going after? I am now actually giving this game some attention. Anyone know anymore about the gender roles?

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
R4 had alot of problems, but nowhere near as many as RR64. RR64 looked terrible, sounded bad although it had decent courses and handling. RRT4 still has the best music in the series, looks great, has good handling and some really nice course designs, it was also one of the first racers to have a deeper single player mode than your typical racer.
R4 had crap course design and neutered handling (compared to the previous RRs anyway). It was Namco's first attempt at a GT clone really, though it fared much better than Racing Evolution at least. Easily the worst Ridge Racer where it counts, even if it looked and sounded great. I'm glad Namco went back to basics with RR5, and splintered off their sim lite asperations with Racing Evolution instead.

RR64 was a botched port of a great game imo, the main problems being shoddy collision and sloppy presentation. R4 is almost the opposite, extremely polished with stunning presentation... but the core game is rather mediocre. I dunno which is worse really, depends on what makes Ridge Racer great for you... I'd say...

01 Rage Racer
02 Ridge Racer V
03 Ridge Racer Revolution
04 Ridge Racer Hi-Spec
05 Ridge Racer
06 Ridge Racer 64
07 R4: Ridge Racer Type 04
08 R: Racing Evolution

" It was Namco's first attempt at a GT clone really,"

Wha? RRT4 is nowhere near a sim racer. The controls are way to simplified to be even put next to GT.

" I dunno which is worse really, depends on what makes Ridge Racer great for you... I'd say..."

Consider that every NAMCO RR is extremely polished in both presentation and gameplay. RR64 isn't polished in any area.

Teddman

You have to remember, launches are not compared to other launches in the mind of the consumer. No shopper is going to sit there in the store and think, "Well gee, I guess it's better than the N64 launch, or technically it might be better than the PS2 launch and on par with the GBA launch. And hey, look how great the GBA is doing now!"

I think more accurately, they compare it to what else they could be spending their gaming money on at the time. In relation to all the other big gaming releases out there this Holiday season, there is no killer app on the NDS to really drive sales, besides Mario 64 DS. No Pokemon, no new Nintendo IP, no wholly original content from Nintendo at all.

That's why I would say it's a weak launch.

Teddman said:
In relation to all the other big gaming releases out there this Holiday season, there is no killer app on the NDS to really drive sales, besides Mario 64 DS. No Pokemon, no new Nintendo IP, no wholly original content from Nintendo at all.

That's why I would say it's a weak launch.
Okay, but they're still going to sell out very, very quickly.

borghe

wow teddman.. we actually agree... well, at least I do with the first part of your post.

as for the second... I disagree that new IPs are necessarily a good thing to launch with. they are already dropping money on a new piece of technology, probably a lot (relatively), they want some safe games to go with it. I think the one thing almost ALL launches have in common is that they launch with familiar IPs.

As for new IPs on DS, Feel the Magic, Urbz (technically new, sort of), Sprung, Asphalt GT, just to name a couple. As for no Pokemon, no handheld system (except for MAYBE arguably the GBC) has launched with a Pokemon and they have done fine.

As far as no new content, I stand behind that a large number of people who pick up the DS haven't played Mario 64 and another large number of people who pick it up will have no problem going through the game again. I haven't played it since umm... probably since 97.. also, it isn't STRICTLY Mario 64. You start playing as Yoshi, don't get the others (including Mario) til later, can switch characters mid game with the hat system, play a bunch of mini-games, play at least one and possibly more new levels, AND still have multi-player to boot... hardly sounds like a straight port.

not to mention again, we are all debating and arguing about the merits of games we haven't played. and no, none of us have played Mario 64 DS even if you like to think you have.

Top Bottom