• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

halfbeast

Banned
geez, people! stop clogging the internets, download's slooooooooooow as hell!

tumblr_mpt32qSDi81qbrdf3o1_500.gif

See, I'm on track to finish this game in less than two hours. But then I'm going to do it on Hard. Then Extreme. Then probably Normal again. Because it's fun.

I hope the textures are accessible for modding on PC. I want to fix those levels to look like the cartoon and match the glorious sprites. Gotta get through the game first.

televator

Pretty sure it's a GameStop exclusive.

Gamestop only?! Aww hell... I never buy "new" games from Gamestop and I still avoid it for used games. Ducktales is only 20 bucks though so I may be forced to endure going to my local Gamestop.

Edit: no game disk?!

Download it is then. Should have known gamestop... there's always a catch.

phileep

I hope the textures are accessible for modding on PC. I want to fix those levels to look like the cartoon and match the glorious sprites. Gotta get through the game first.

I think the backgrounds look pretty close to the cartoon, especially the color. There is actually a ton of 2D paintings in the backgrounds mixed with the poly stuff.

.la1n

Enjoying it so far, and coming from someone who watched the cartoon and played the hell out of the original on NES I will say this: the cutscenes are charming (and you can skip them) but an option to turn them off completely would have been appreciated for future playthroughs.

VanWinkle

I was only able to play about 10 minutes because I wanted to try it out before I left, but I had a huge smile on my face the whole time. Can't wait to get back home and continue. :)

While watching the remaster music comparison video I cannot even remember the volcano or money bing levels. Were they secret levels because I played the games to death (even had the gb port too)

Santar

WOW. This game only has 1 silver trophy and the rest are bronze on PS3. This CAN'T be possibly for a $15 release on PSN, can it? If so, I'm so disappointed. :(

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/ducktales-remastered/trophies/

Maybe it's because of the increased achievement count for xbla releases?
So that the ps3 version gets all the corresponding trophies?

Double Dragoon Neon on PS3 had a lot fewer trophies than the 360 version because of this.

jett

D-Member
I played some, just the Amazon and the Moon. It plays mostly exactly like the NES game, I don't really find any issues with the controls. I guess it's not very intuitive when you have to disable the cane in mid-air to avoid hitting spikes in the ceiling(but it was that way in the original game too). Some enemy placements are kind of shitty and it seems it's unavoidable to get hit, like the spiders in the Amazon. Very talkie, extremely talkie. And those cutscenes are frankly boring as fuck, all of them. Overall, it's the NES game, with some stuff added on top to make it seem more than just an old NES game, but it is that underneath those layers. Whether that's good or bad is up for personal preference. To bring up another remake of this sort, personally DT isn't a game that has aged as well as Bionic Commando, and even then GRIN went miles further into updating and improving the game with Re-Armed than WayForward did. Like I said, it really is just the same old game with a new coat of paint. The money bin level is just a tutorial stage...which I died on, on the boss. It didn't telegraph shit, I had to rely on pausing the game to figure which way he was gonna throw. :p It'd be nice if the game had a "hard" checkpoint before bosses. Also died on the Moon boss with zero lives. I don't think I'm going to replay that level any different, and it's not going to help me learn the boss's patterns any better searching for Gizmoduck's parts again. Oh well.

rhino4evr

I played some, just the Amazon and the Moon. It plays mostly exactly like the NES game, I don't really find any issues with the controls. I guess it's not very intuitive when you have to disable the cane in mid-air to avoid hitting spikes in the ceiling(but it was that way in the original game too). Some enemy placements are kind of shitty and it seems it's unavoidable to get hit, like the spiders in the Amazon. Very talkie, extremely talkie. And those cutscenes are frankly boring as fuck, all of them. Overall, it's the NES game, with some stuff added on top to make it seem more than just an old NES game, but it is that underneath those layers. Whether that's good or bad is up for personal preference. To bring up another remake of this sort, personally DT isn't a game that has aged as well as Bionic Commando, and even then GRIN went miles further into updating and improving the game with Re-Armed than WayForward did. Like I said, it really is just the same old game with a new coat of paint. The money bin level is just a tutorial stage...which I died on, on the boss. It didn't telegraph shit, I had to rely on pausing the game to figure which way he was gonna throw. :p It'd be nice if the game had a "hard" checkpoint before bosses. Also died on the Moon boss with zero lives. I don't think I'm going to replay that level any different, and it's not going to help me learn the boss's patterns any better searching for Gizmoduck's parts again. Oh well.

Oh well indeed. Next time play the game better.

El Odio

Banned
storafötter;76222723 said:
While watching the remaster music comparison video I cannot even remember the volcano or money bing levels. Were they secret levels because I played the games to death (even had the gb port too)
They're new I believe. The bank level acts as a tutorial and I'm guessing the volcano is the last level since I have yet to see it.

Yuterald

Started on Hard, finished the Amazon stage. Difficulty level modifies money received at the end too. I unlocked the entire first gallery after beating one stage, lol! Loving this so far, and I'm not even a super fan of the original Duck Tales. I'm more so here because I LOVE WayForward. Music's great so far, love the base/home music a lot, actually.

Noticed something cool about the vault already...
I found a hidden medal that added what seemed to be 1 million gold to my score during the Amazon stage and the medal can be found sitting on top of your cash in the vault (along with the storyline related treasures
. Love touches like this!

halfbeast

Banned
plays just as I imagined it would play, no complaints here. the pogo-cancelling crap is a bit annoying, but not game breaking. the backgrounds are quite ugly, though. played only Amazon and there are weird jelly-looking mountains with texture-y bricks sticking out - looks awful. :/

I like it. I love the artwork and music and I used to love the show as a little kid. So I'm having fun. Plus I never played the original NES so I don't have nostalgia goggles.

Quick questions:

1. Can the original NES version be unlockable? Is it Wii U exclusive only?

2. Any difference between Wii U vers and the others other than off-TV play?

Thanks!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Quick questions:

1. Can the original NES version be unlockable? Is it Wii U exclusive only?

2. Any difference between Wii U vers and the others other than off-TV play?

Thanks!
1.) No, but you can unlock the NES soundtrack by
beating the game
& I'm pretty sure it's in all versions.

2.) Really, only thing that's "different" is the fact PS360 have achievements/trophies & the 360 version has unlockable avatar awards, but that's really it. Nothing huge.

Andrew.

Banned
Control is tight as hell.

Music is awesome. (That title theme!)

The look and colors. So vibrant.

I'm in love.

Wayforward always pleases me with their work.

Great to see such wonderful impressions from this thread :D

The little bit of difficulty is welcome, and I can't wait to jump back into this game and even enjoy all the old VA's returning, which is an awesome feat in itself.

Will download this soon :D

Started playing and finished the moon level.

Playing on Hard with Hard Pogo.

This game is glorious and delicious nostalgia served on a plate. I will not pretend that it did age well or that people that haven't played the original will enjoy it. BUT FOR ME, it tickles all these feels. All of them.

Also, NO ONE on my steam list is playing this. I guess i have to evaluate their stay.

Finished it. It's just as good as the NES game. Probably even better since they improved so much of the level layouts. The sheer amount of care presented here is simply amazing. I don't know who was responsible for making sure every single element was as accurate to the show as possible, but they nailed it. Even the actors replacing the deceased actors for Flintheart Glomgold and Gizmoduck sound almost exactly the way they should. And the gameplay, as far as I could tell in my 6 hours of playtime, is completely faithful to the NES original.

However, I can see the cutscenes turning a lot of people off. They're skippable, but they're so plentiful that you'll find the gameplay interrupted every couple of seconds in many cases. If I weren't such a DuckTales fan, I wouldn't even bother with this.

But...since I am...The game is pure bliss. If you're a DuckTales fan, this is an instant buy. If you're a fan of the original game and the idea of having the flow of the gameplay interrupted by cutscenes doesn't turn you off, you need to get this.

PS: Alan Young's still got it.

linkboy

Just picked up the Wii U version and I love the game except for one detail.

classic-wii-super-famicom-controller.jpg

It doesn't work with this controller (nor do I think it works with any classic controller from the Wii). Playing it with this would have been nothing short of amazing.

As for the game, it's fantastic. Love everything about it and it was well worth purchase.

Andrew.

Banned
I love the cutscenes. They make the levels seem like long lost episodes of the series. The fact that it's all the real actors (who all do a damn fine job) is the icing on the Mrs. Beakleys cake.

Finished it. It's just as good as the NES game. Probably even better since they improved so much of the level layouts. The sheer amount of care presented here is simply amazing. I don't know who was responsible for making sure every single element was as accurate to the show as possible, but they nailed it. Even the actors replacing the deceased actors for Flintheart Glomgold and Gizmoduck sound almost exactly the way they should. And the gameplay, as far as I could tell in my 6 hours of playtime, is completely faithful to the NES original.

However, I can see the cutscenes turning a lot of people off. They're skippable, but they're so plentiful that you'll find the gameplay interrupted every couple of seconds in many cases. If I weren't such a DuckTales fan, I wouldn't even bother with this.

But...since I am...The game is pure bliss. If you're a DuckTales fan, this is an instant buy. If you're a fan of the original game and the idea of having the flow of the gameplay interrupted by cutscenes doesn't turn you off, you need to get this.

PS: Alan Young's still got it.

Alan "Forever" Young :D

Even more excited to play this tonight...

zruben

Banned
guys, I'm about to ditch work and go to my home... just a quick question...

is this game playable with the wiiU pro controller?

I've never watched the actual show, but I'm loving this game regardless of those cutscenes.

Gartooth

Played through it on Easy for the last few hours and just finished it! I never played the NES version so I don't know too much on what has been changed (although apparently the first and last levels are brand new) but the gameplay is very fun in an old school way with various secrets to discover. The gameplay felt like a mix between Metroid style exploration in Mega Man stages. The presentation was incredible, loved the 2D sprites as well as the music. The return of the original voice actors from the show was a treat and watching every cutscene felt like an old episode of DuckTales, so they absolutely nailed that part of the game. My biggest complaints involve the difficulty.

These aren't short Mega Man stages, the stages in DuckTales vary in range but some of them such as the Amazon are actually quite long. The lack of a continue option is annoying because in my brief time in Normal (before switching to easy) I was sent back to stage select and would have to start from scratch. I also think the controls for the pogo cane could have been a little bit more reliable, but aside from that it worked well. Overall great game, always wanted to experience the NES classic as a fan of classic Capcom games as well as the show, and I feel that WayForward delivered on that wish.

Cmagus

I really don't understand the reviews for this game. The control is perfectly fine, the music is amazing, the visuals are great like I get that everyone has their opinion but alot of the negative reviews just come off as butt hurt cause they struggled with the game.I also don't think the cutscenes are bad at all they are pretty good and the story feels much like the show.

I am just finishing up Mount Vesuvius on hard at the moment but keep messing up on the very last part which is really challenging. So far I am clocking it at a little over 3 hours which is pretty good. I can't imagine how hard Extreme is gonna be.

Top Bottom