• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

I haven't played the game yet, but I watched a stream of it. Alan Young might not have the energy in the voice, but he's fucking 93, that's understandable. The same people would be bitching if they got an awful imitator.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Used my fire emblem credit on this game ( AND CHRONICLES OF MYSTARA WHENEVER THAT COMES OUT). Off tv play makes it the definitive version.

Chucker

Started playing this when I got home, had played the demo at PAX-E and this game still sucker punched me in the feels.

The feels, bros.

aparisi2274

I love the cutscenes. They make the levels seem like long lost episodes of the series. The fact that it's all the real actors (who all do a damn fine job) is the icing on the Mrs. Beakleys cake.

considering that the VA who does Scrooge is 96 years old, I'm betting that everyone involved was happy he was able to come back to give Scrooge his authentic sounding voice.

thefit

I just launched the steam version after playing the wii u version first, gotta say the steam version plays better especially with 360 controller. The cinematics get old quick but u can skip them.

Chakan

This is easily the best remake of this gen.

The music. The gameplay. The level design. It's all there with gorgeous graphics.

I honestly believe that whoever wrote the bad reviews for this game is either not a gamer or didn't play the game beyond stage one.

Or probably they got some kid that only plays CoD games to review it. That'd make sense too.

thefit

aaaand I just found a bug in the pc version I'm battling the intro beagle boss and i messed up the pattern now the safe stopped appearing and i'm in a infinite loop of evading objects.

jett

D-Member
Been playing some more, definitely much more into it now. The African Mines scenery is straight out of the show, that's pretty nice detail.

471422-vlcsnap_00701_super.jpg

Eusis

Yeah, I'm hoping they patch in support for the Classic Controller... and the Wii Remote. They didn't do anything funny with the controls to NEED more buttons, so it should work with basically any common arrangement, though Wii Remote + Nunchuk can probably safely be ignored.

Man, when I was hearing about checkpoints and needing to go through most of a stage I was fearing a restart at the start of a stage and being forced to go through a path for stages that weren't linear to begin with, but that wasn't the case! I guess it's just a case where lives had become so uncommon that they're treated as more like an extension of health, when really you restart in whatever section of a stage you're in when you die/fall. Though admittedly it would be nice if they met half way and you could skip past collecting anything again in stage replays, but while that'd work fine for, say, the Amazon, it may not for the Himalayas or even the Mine.

Zomba13

So far the thing I dislike most about the game is the 3D backgrounds. I love the sprites and the animations but would have loved the entire game to be 2D. Minor complaint but still. Really loving this. Been so long since I played the original but that level select tune brought back so many memories. Love the voice acting too, makes me want to dig out some Duck Tales tapes and watch them.

This is easily the best remake of this gen.

The music. The gameplay. The level design. It's all there with gorgeous graphics.

I honestly believe that whoever wrote the bad reviews for this game is either not a gamer or didn't play the game beyond stage one.

Or probably they got some kid that only plays CoD games to review it. That'd make sense too.

From what I gathered from the Polygon review, most of his negativity comes from the fact that the humor is just fluff aimed at kids(just like the show, imagine that!) and the fact that the game was too difficult for him. The game is actually much easier than the NES original(which itself is among the easiest of NES games), which didn't allow you to restart from the beginning of a stage if you lost all of your lives. It made you restart from the beginning of the entire game! Which, of course, was pretty standard procedure in those days, especially in a game as short as this one.

It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario for these people. If they had neutered the game of all of it's difficulty, it would have been lambasted by all the positive reviewers who demanded authenticity from the game. But for people who can't take the old-school style of challenge, it just hasn't held up for them.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
From what I gathered from the Polygon review, most of his negativity comes from the fact that the humor is just fluff aimed at kids(just like the show, imagine that!) and the fact that the game was too difficult for him. The game is actually much easier than the NES original(which itself is among the easiest of NES games), which didn't allow you to restart from the beginning of a stage if you lost all of your lives. It made you restart from the beginning of the entire game! Which, of course, was pretty standard procedure in those days, especially in a game as short as this one.

It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario for these people. If they had neutered the game of all of it's difficulty, it would have been lambasted by all the positive reviewers who demanded authenticity from the game. But for people who can't take the old-school style of challenge, it just hasn't held up for them.

idk playing on hard felt about the same to me.

I got my GMG key last night, but like everyone else, no pre-load.

I downloaded it today and installed it. Now correct me if I am wrong about this, but I could not find any audio options. I looked because that opening theme is blarringly loud. I had to turn down my speakers manually in order to lower the volume. I am surprised by this, I even went and looked around in the menus for the audio options, but there seem to be none. Screen resolution (mine goes from 1600x900 to 640x480, and nothing else in between the two), brightness, controller options, etc. are all there, but no audio options to be found. And you do have to bring up a menu to skip cutscenes in the PC version.

My game locked up on me when I exited it. Went to a black screen and hung there. Steam said I was still in-game and I had to c-a-d/task manager to end the process manually. However, I do see that it has been mentioned that this might happen if you leave the unlockables screen, which I had just done (purchased two pieces of art with the money I got from the first level) prior to actually quitting the game. I am hoping that the unlockables screen issue is the cause of this black screen hang up and not something that is going to happen everytime I quit this game.

The game is hard in some spots, easy in others. I had to play the first level three times before I beat the guy with the safe! The pogoing DOES seem to just stop at times, which depending on where you are, can be a bad thing. Case in point, jumping over the globes and busts during the first level end boss fight. Having your pogoing just quit and you slam right into a thrown item is infuriating.

I paid $11.74 after GMG discount for this game - my normal PC rule is nothing over $10 unless it is something I really want to play. It pulled my nostalgia strings hard as this game was one of my personal childhood NES favorites. Do I feel I got my money's worth? Yes. But the game could use a patch to fix some things and tweak other things, because it does feel unbalanced in some areas; and to add audio options to the PC menu since there appear to be none.

YMMV. As a day one buyer (something I do not normally do this past couple of years), I feel "MEH" about it right now because I feel something about the game is slightly off.

I gave it a test run. Some minor disappointments:
- no windowed mode (or borderless)
- can't change controls in-game

So is everybody else playing on Hard? Is the only difference the number of lives?

linkboy

Yeah, I'm hoping they patch in support for the Classic Controller... and the Wii Remote. They didn't do anything funny with the controls to NEED more buttons, so it should work with basically any common arrangement, though Wii Remote + Nunchuk can probably safely be ignored.

I just send Wayforward an email asking if there was any plans to add the Classic Controller and the CC Pro.

Hope to get a response.

Playing this on Wii U and it feels so good. I posted a positive message on the Miiverse and one of the WayForward developers Yeah'd me. :D

I got my GMG key last night, but like everyone else, no pre-load.

I downloaded it today and installed it. Now correct me if I am wrong about this, but I could not find any audio options. I looked because that opening theme is blarringly loud. I had to turn down my speakers manually in order to lower the volume. I am surprised by this, I even went and looked around in the menus for the audio options, but there seem to be none. Screen resolution (mine goes from 1600x900 to 640x480, and nothing else in between the two), brightness, controller options, etc. are all there, but no audio options to be found. And you do have to bring up a menu to skip cutscenes in the PC version.

My game locked up on me when I exited it. Went to a black screen and hung there. Steam said I was still in-game and I had to c-a-d/task manager to end the process manually. However, I do see that it has been mentioned that this might happen if you leave the unlockables screen, which I had just done (purchased two pieces of art with the money I got from the first level) prior to actually quitting the game. I am hoping that the unlockables screen issue is the cause of this black screen hang up and not something that is going to happen everytime I quit this game.

The game is hard in some spots, easy in others. I had to play the first level three times before I beat the guy with the safe! The pogoing DOES seem to just stop at times, which depending on where you are, can be a bad thing. Case in point, jumping over the globes and busts during the first level end boss fight. Having your pogoing just quit and you slam right into a thrown item is infuriating.

I paid $11.74 after GMG discount for this game - my normal PC rule is nothing over $10 unless it is something I really want to play. It pulled my nostalgia strings hard as this game was one of my personal childhood NES favorites. Do I feel I got my money's worth? Yes. But the game could use a patch to fix some things and tweak other things, because it does feel unbalanced in some areas; and to add audio options to the PC menu since there appear to be none.

YMMV. As a day one buyer (something I do not normally do), I feel "MEH" about it right now.

Did you try fiddling with the "hard pogo" options? Turning hard pogo off makes things a bit easier, as it relegates the pogo attack to just a single button.

Did you try fiddling with the "hard pogo" options? Turning hard pogo off makes things a bit easier, as it relegates the pogo attack to just a single button.

No, not yet. I figured that would be part of the second run with the game later tonight. I try not to fiddle with too many options when I play a game for the first time. But I will try that and see if that helps my issue out. Thanks.

EDIT: Just played a second time. Other screen resolutions are there now, it just puts my default and the 640x480 ones first. No idea why. Tried playing with "Hard Pogo" on/off and it did not help me out any. And my lockup on exit happened again and I did not even try to use the unlockables screen this time. Crap.

Why do people complain about difficulty, it's not like there isn't a difficulty setting mode. Sure you can't change it midgame but the first thing I did was set the game to Easy (because I know I enjoy an easy first round, try the harder modes later.

I'm a huge Disney nut and must admit, this is actually my first time really playing Ducktales, I never had a NES as a kid and for some reason or another - never got around to trying it. So maybe I have the benefit of seeing this as someone playing for the first time, rather than reviewers who might of played the NES original at some point. But I've had an absolute blast finding all the hidden nooks and crannies in the game so far (currently got Amazon and Transylvania done)

Everything about this game oozes charm and a HUGE amount of respect for the property and original game. The script is pretty much exactly like the show, the only adjustment made is that Scrooge is a bit softer spoken, and doesn't yell or bellow like he did sometimes. Personally I prefer that Scrooge cracks wise or just calmly tells people he's gonna sort things out, it adds a sort of feeling that scrooge has mellowed out a little from his experiences throughout the show. He still can be pretty blunt ("Launchpad, were you dropped on your head much as a baby?") But then Ducktales Scrooge always was a softer, kinder version than the one in the comics.

Also not gonna lie: adding the money bin as something you can actually jump into is such a simple little thing but made me smile a lot. Touches like that are why I love WayForward, even when they fall a little short, they work really hard to be true to the source material.

I'm not sure what more they could of done to make this remake any more perfect for this gen, the animations are plenty expressive with the limited range. The voice acting is pretty much spot on (Alan Young deserves some kind of award for not only agreeing to voice Scrooge at 92, but do a HUGE amount of lines for this game) - there's absolutely nothing wrong with the controls (any mistakes is mostly down to player error, not the game) and it's just....really fun. So I'm struggling to see what makes Journo's put it down as a title quite honestly.

I really love this game! But on PS3 my pogo jump just stops working at seemingly random times. Died so many times because of it! That's like my only real complaint though. I wonder what is making it do that?

FSLink

Banned
So I noticed Gamespot's review, as flawed as some of the arguments are, mentions that the controls lack a sort of precision than the NES game did. Is this true? It looks the same in videos to me but I won't know until my PS3 "retail" copy comes in (though I'm tempted to download the Wii U version tonight while I wait...decisions~)

So I noticed Gamespot's review, as flawed as some of the arguments are, mentions that the controls lack a sort of precision than the NES game did. Is this true? It looks the same in videos to me but I won't know until my PS3 "retail" copy comes in (though I'm tempted to download the Wii U version tonight while I wait...decisions~)

I wouldn't say so. Actually, the NES version was a bit dodgy in this area, too. I would say that this remake, for better or worse, is almost identical to the original in terms of controls, collision issues, etc.

khaaan

I really love this game! But on PS3 my pogo jump just stops working at seemingly random times. Died so many times because of it! That's like my only real complaint though. I wonder what is making it do that?

I noticed something like that as well. The big thing that stuck out to me was that the pogo controls didn't feel as responsive but I haven't messed with my HDTV to try and reduce input lag yet...mainly because I don't know how.

Just wanted to pop in and say that this game is a-ma-zing! The original was pretty much my favorite NES game ever and this hasn't disappointed me one bit. Singing along to the music practically gave me happy tears. The graphics are outstanding, the story and cutscenes are fabulous (and I haven't found them obnoxiously intrusive at all), the music is incredible; overall, everything is just an amazing package that I see myself playing through many times over throughout the years.

For the record, I'm not sure how the game timer works. I'm positive I've played for at least 90 minutes (and have the trophy log to prove it), but my game time says I've only played for 35:11. Makes no sense at all. I've beaten The Amazon (after dying at the boss, so going through it twice) and played halfway through the African Mines before dying.

The only controls issue I have is that the pogo cancels out if you try to bounce near the very edge of ledges, which may throw you off sometimes.

The only controls issue I have is that the pogo cancels out if you try to bounce near the very edge of ledges, which may throw you off sometimes.

Yup, this happens. It was this way in the original. Just bear in mind, the cane has to be touching something in order for the pogo to activate.

On another note, my favorite review of the game so far is ScrewAttack's. Stuttering Craig is awesome. And he mirrors my feelings on the game pretty closely.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's okay to get this on Wii U instead of PS3 right? Performance is good?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've been playing it on PSN. My worse complaint is that there are no checkpoints after you lose all your lives. Other than that it's fantastic. I used to watch this show a lot growing up.

Modern gaming barely sees any fantastic platformers that don't feel like glass to your eyes. That's one reason to still appreciate 2D sprites.

I want to reveal this one thing about the game, though. When you play through the game for the first time, your 'life count' resets between stages. That is to say, any extra lives you receive(or lose) during any stage are reset back to the default of three once you begin the next stage.

However once you beat the game, you're able to save lives between stages. And extra lives become more plentiful, as they take the place of the old life upgrade chests previously found in each stage.

FSLink

Banned
Yup, this happens. It was this way in the original. Just bear in mind, the cane has to be touching something in order for the pogo to activate.

Sounds good then; if it's like how it was in the original, I have no complaints. Purchasing tonight on Wii U then while I wait for my PS3 "retail". :D

JohngPR

Got to agree with everything in this post. The game is very charming so far and the difficulty hasn't been bothering me yet, it made the bossfights actually very tense because I knew replaying the entire level on game over was at stake.

Where's the Amazon one?

Eusis

I wouldn't say so. Actually, the NES version was a bit dodgy in this area, too. I would say that this remake, for better or worse, is almost identical to the original in terms of controls, collision issues, etc.
Yeah, I'm playing it and I can't help but remember the NES original and how that FELT to control. For better or worse it does seem they were crazy faithful to it.
So which version is best so far?

Does Wii U version support Wiimote/gamepad pro/classic controller play?
Pro Controller, yes. Wii Remote/Classic Controller, no.

By the way, I noticed that if you're on Wii U and aren't actively using Off Screen play you can press X while the game's paused and make the Game Pad display the map instead. Found that handy.

Chucker

G4Z0Xksl.jpg

My 2 year old daughter, Lily, came running out with her Ducktales book after seeing me play it on my PC and said "Dad, it's like the book you got for me!"
There must have been a dust storm in the room or something right afterwards, I don't know what happened..

Mzo

G4Z0Xksl.jpg

My 2 year old daughter, Lily, came running out with her Ducktales book after seeing me play it on my PC and said "Dad, it's like the book you got for me!"
There must have been a dust storm in the room or something right afterwards, I don't know what happened..

Life is like a hurricane.

This game is excellent so far. The Polygon review is hilarious.

Eusis

Cool thanks! More than off-TV play.. I'm being a nerd about wanting it on a Nintendo system. :)
Yeah, I'm in the same camp there. Plus...

Wii U - Digital Deluxe promo, PLUS at the right time to redeem credit AND get more credit. So, why not, especially as I'd like to grab Steamworld. Also unlikely to ever have a significant sale.

PS3 - Potential Plus freebie in the future, and they tend to have very deep discounts.

Steam - Always gets very deep discounts eventually unless it's Amalur.

Xbox 360 - Nope. Moderately higher discount potential than Wii U, AND an atrocious D-Pad! Then again I do have the drum controller.

So, Wii U was most favorable at the start and like you said matched with the series history. Kind of like why I wanted Mega Man Anniversary Collection on GC before it was revealed they were dumb and flipped B and A.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finished Moon and Amazon tonight. Really loving it. And honestly, my Wii U has been getting some love lately. Game plays great on there.

Top Bottom