• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

rhino4evr

Maybe I just played a lot of platformers in my life, but i don't find this game that hard at all. Especially if you find the heart containers, which aren't that difficult to find either.

To be honest I think Amazon is a pretty tough stage to start on. If you are having trouble play the mine or Transylvania, easiest levels in the game (in my opinion).

I've completed Transylvania, the mine, and the moon. I died at the boss battle on both amazon and Himalayas and haven't gone back yet.

My biggest gripe is that the stages are way too short for so many cut scenes. As much as I enjoy the voice acting, I really think having so many (amazon is the worst) was a mistake. They should have beefed up the stages if they wanted the game to feel more epic in scale.

I've had no problem with the controls as I ve played the original and I'm used to the hit boxes, and the cheap circumstances, it makes the game feel pretty,authentic to the source material. I'm sure there are folks that frown on stuff like this, but I think it's refreshing.

The map seems highly unnecessary to me, The stages arent nearly large enough to get lost in.

Been playing for just over an hour. haven't had a problem w/ losing my pogo, at least not when it wasn't obviously my fault.

This shit is fun. Even the cut-scenes. Yeah, they're a little too long for their own good at times, but I can't even complain, really. All the voices are there, (well, not ALL, but all that could be gotten) and there's nothing too different from the corny comedy of the cartoon on display.

Happy as hell with this.

I'm playing the Steam version. After testing it a bit, I found two situations where I lose pogo:

1) Landing on the edge of a floor, but the pogo itself doesn't touch the floor. You lose the pogo jump.
2) Start holding the pogo button right before you fall off the edge of a floor. The game will not register the pogo button, so you freefall.

Was this the case for the original NES? It makes the game feel so unresponsive.

aparisi2274

God, I am so rusty...

I can't even get out of the amazon, and it does not bother me... each time I die and start over, it forces me to think about new ways to get to the end, and I like that...

I could do without so many cutscenes, but at least you can skip them (although I wish I did not have to go into a menu to do so).

Mzo

I'm playing the Steam version. After testing it a bit, I found two situations where I lose pogo:

1) Landing on the edge of a floor, but the pogo itself doesn't touch the floor. You lose the pogo jump.
2) Start holding the pogo button right before you fall off the edge of a floor. The game will not register the pogo button, so you freefall.

Yes, that is exactly how the NES game worked, but I disagree that it feels unresponsive.

I don't see why 1 is an issue, it makes sense.

I'm not really sure what you mean by 2, but there was no easy pogo option in the NES game, so you always had to start by pressing and holding down + B until your first bounce, after which you could just hold B to maintain the pogo. You could never really just hold the B while you're walking and expect the pogo to come out as soon as you walk off a ledge and are airborne. I am pretty certain you can pogo off a fall.

I guess I'm used to the NES game so I don't even question it anymore. It's an interesting game mechanic.

Wow, it's really not as bad as some of the reviewers claimed. I'm playing it on Wii U, and the only thing that gets me is the tweaked layout of some of the areas. It basically plays the same as the NES version and rewards you for timing and skill, but doesn't let your slide if you are used to blowing through stages in a hapless manner. It's basically "If you get hit by an enemy, it's YOUR fault!", which I'd never consider as a flaw. You have enough time to get the hold of things, predict enemy attacks and such. I could understand if the stages TIMED you, but you are given the freedom to loose yourself within the gameplay.

I'm having a blast!

After playing the game for myself, the reviews don't reflect on the game at all. It's actually quite good. I thought you play the levels multiple times for alternate routes, secrets, etc., which is why I was kind of vocal about re-watching the dialogue cut scenes. Good thing you can skip it.

I think IGN's review is fair. It's definitely not boring like some of the reviews claim. What's bizarre is how worse games, and I'm talking much worse, got higher scores than this!

This is coming from someone who doesn't have nostalgia on my side since I never played the original. And even I think it's pretty good. I love the artwork and animation!

Chucker

OMG WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?

08fk5Kzl.jpg

massoluk

Banned
Gahh.. Got to the mine boss and died, 4 times in a row. Restarting the whole level over and over got frustrating. I'm calling the night :\

I'm weak.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Finally beat Normal Mode! Clocked in at 2:30. WOW at the difficulty spike during the final level!

You have to beat a ten minute stage (hoping to collect tons of gems) dodging cheaply placed bats, OHKO boulders, and cheap deaths when your pogo randomly goes out.
Then you have to beat Dracula Duck with his bats that move like the Medusa Heads from Castlevania.
Then you have to race Glomgold and Magica up five screens hoping not to mess up more than three times or you die.
THEN you have to ascend during a volcanic eruption with zero room for error.

In three lives.

But that's not why you get a game over.

IT'S THE HANGING CHAINS.

It may just be the Wii U version, but I can't for the life of me grab chains 50% of the time. This wasn't an issue in earlier levels like The Amazon, but the final level requires you to grab chains everywhere. Even over lava.

Heck, the ENTIRETY of the lava ascent is CHAINS. I've made it past everything up until the short final climb with my lives and health intact, and I end up losing all three lives because I was either holding up too long or left/right for a split second shorter.

If that was normal mode...what is HARD MODE like?!

Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the remake, especially the original voice actors!

And I love being able to
play with the original 8-bit music
when you beat the game, though I wish that
the original NES version was unlockable.

Shinjiru

I don't remember if I ever beat this game when I was a kid. If I did, I'd like to high five my 12-year-old self right now. I'm playing on medium and I haven't even been able to finish the Amazon level yet.

Loving the game, though! The nostalgia is strong with this one :)

Eusis

We need NES TMNT games in HD now.
Ideally retaining the visual style of the cartoon series they're derived from though. Though I guess in DuckTales favor it's not as if there was that much style variation in the last several decades like the first few decades of Disney.

... I feel when it comes to difficulty/old school design this has a similar problem to Bionic Command: Rearmed, albeit not as extreme:
works fine for the original content as it was designed around that, but in the new final stage you end up redoing too much. It's a bit more evened out admittedly though: whereas BC:R had one stupidly long and hard final stage, this just has a really tough final stage that's about the same length as others. Kind of a bitch how the classic final race got tweaked so it really was more of a pain to do, I actually ended up losing that THEN getting a hard lock.

Climbing and jumping chains can be difficult because of how Scrooge falls if you separate it into separate button inputs. The easy way to do it is to
just diagonally up and the direction you want to jump. For instance when trying to navigate a bunch of chains going right. Just hold diagonally up and to the right the whole time. Scrooge will climb and when you hit jump, he'll o automatically to the right and grab the chain as soon as he gets to it. Really simplifies the timing.

I say, get WayFoward to do something similar with Contra 4. Give us a TMNT5(an original side-scrolling Beat 'em Up with new stages and bosses). I know it's impossible(given Activision's got the license for TMNT games), but something like that(with Jake Kaufman on board for the music) would be godly.

But, as far as THIS game is concerned, knowing how much fun I'm having, I REALLY want it to do well(I'm going to double dip and pick up the boxed edition for the PS3 on the 20th). I WANT Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers to get THIS treatment!!!!!

Related, but unrelated, it's been a while since I've played a Capcom game. Hearing the classic SNES Capcom music and a throwback logo animation really got me giddy!

Cool thanks! More than off-TV play.. I'm being a nerd about wanting it on a Nintendo system. :)

Going back a bit here to quote this, as it's the same reason I bought it on my Wii U. It was on NES, gotta have this on a Nintendo console.

It would have been easier to get it on PS3, as I had plenty of store credit, and could have preordered it and got it EVEN cheaper, but screw that, back on Nintendo, baby!

Cmagus

Finally cleared it on hard now to tackle extreme and clean up the rest of the trophies. That was really challenging though I am curious to see what extreme is though.

Yep. DuckTales is amazing. The game is pretty much just how I remember it. The introductory stage is pretty cool, love finding all the hidden treasure.

Also, Alan Young is the man. Sounds just as perfect as Scrooge today!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Played through Amazon, Transylvania and the Himalayas. I'm really loving it. Great job WayForward.

Can I get Shovel Knight for PS3/PS4?
I got a bit worried with some of those reviews about controls, but I don't think that's an issue at all. It retains some of the 8-bit trappings with hit detection and stuff like that, but that's entirely expected and probably desired.

I'm not sure I've noticed #2, but I've definitely noticed #1 and I don't think it's a particular problem at all. It's fairly sensible and certainly consistent, so you just have to be aware that your pogo has to actually hit the ground. If you want to pogo up 'stairs' you have to do it with a little finesse.

I would pay damned good money for this. I love this game so much.

El Odio

Banned
Managed to beat the final level the third time around and aside from some bad enemy placement and the hard "race" at the end for a level that had no original version to build off of I think they did a good job of making it fit in. Plan on trying it on hard next and maybe extreme afterwards but it's definitely a solid remake and something I can see myself replaying down the line.
Also, that piano cover of the moon theme in the credits... so good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Itunes used to be the same way as the eshop. I can garuntee you if you raised enough hell with Nintendo support they can let you redownload your games.
It's certainly a lot less convenient than Sony's method, however. That's the point. The eShop, as it stands, is anti-consumer.

Got the wii u version and have been playing on hard. I LOVE THIS GAME!

Yeah, the pogo jump fucks up a bit, but to be fair, that's how the original game was at times.

Quick question for the wii u owners. I have been using the U Pro Controller instead of the tablet. The Dpad is great, but there seems to be a slight delay when using the analog stick for some reason...

Also, the scrooge voice overs are incredibly low, sound wise...otherwise, no complaints on my part. Well done, Wayforward!

venomenon

1) was definitely the case in the NES version. Not sure about the second point, though.

I'm not really having issues with losing pogo, but with pogoing just not working at all from time to time. Appears to happen more often than not when I touch a wall or block during the jump, but also occasionally in other cases. This is responsible for the majority of my deaths :-/

Besides that, this is a lovely remake. Scrooge sounds a bit uninspired, but I'm probably just not used to the English voiceovers.

Tizoc

Only played a little before going to work, hearing the same VAs from the 80s put a smile on my face during the tutorial level.
I tried the Moon level before leaving and...Fenton doesn't sound right, I know his original voice actor passed away, but this new guy just isn't delivering it IMO.

Does the game have mulitple save slots BTW?

Anival

Banned
Thinking about getting this, probably the steam version but what do you guys think about it so far since most reviews seem mixed lol.

Eusis

Itunes used to be the same way as the eshop. I can garuntee you if you raised enough hell with Nintendo support they can let you redownload your games.
Just to make sure there isn't a misunderstanding: are you talking about redownloading to a new computer/device, or redownloading period? Because this is one way where Nintendo actually was progressive and in line with Mirosoft/Sony/Valve in that they let you redownload any game you owned, albeit only to the system you bought them on. iTunes music far as I recall you were SOL on if you ever lost your music for any reason, and I'm not sure things were all that clear on the App front initially either.

Still, the fact that Nintendo's talking about moving the Nintendo Network accounts to 3DS gives some hope, not to mention you can log into the account from PC for Digital Deluxe and Miiverse implying that probably do track serverside now too, they just haven't put in any way to reclaim an account on a new console yet.
Thinking about getting this, probably the steam version but what do you guys think about it so far since most reviews seem mixed lol.
Reviews being mixed generally operates on two factors: how tolerant they are of NES-era design (even with some of the rough spots polished up some) and their thoughts on the original game. If you liked the original and want an updated version of it understanding that while not very hard it DOES carry some design elements either largely left behind or trivialized these days (such as running out of lives kicking you out of a stage, the fact lives ARE scarce, and that falling down a pit loses you a life period), and if you can't tolerate that at all anymore (or never did!) then you may want to stay away. If that's not really a big deal then by all means jump in.

Only played a little before going to work, hearing the same VAs from the 80s put a smile on my face during the tutorial level.
I tried the Moon level before leaving and...Fenton doesn't sound right, I know his original voice actor passed away, but this new guy just isn't delivering it IMO.

Does the game have mulitple save slots BTW?

No. Only one save slot. You start a new game, you lose the past save except for unlocks and money.

duckroll

I haven't played much yet. I cleared the prologue stage, and messed around with most of Transylvania without beating it. I think it's an okay remake. The graphics are really pretty good, the controls for some reason feel a little bit off to me. It's not as tight as I expect from an oldschool 2D platformer. I don't have any issues with the additions or changes to the stages and gameplay, but I hate the cutscenes. They're really annoying and kill the flow of the game. After the initial novelty of "wow, fully voiced scenes with the original cast!" wears off, they're just boring annoying interruptions to a game clearly not designed to have the flow interrupted like that. Thank God they can be skipped. :p

The music is awesome though!

Eusis

No. Only one save slot. You start a new game, you lose the past save except for unlocks and money.

Aw that's lame, well the game is short, gonna restart and have my brother play along on Medium.
Depending on what system you're playing on you SHOULD be able to just make a separate account, not unless your aim's to collaboratively unlock everything anyway. Though I'd need to check on Wii U since that has the option for developers to just make universal save files. I like the idea of having that, but it's a shame some developers/publishers are bound to mess up there, nevermind the grey areas where cases can be made both ways.

Then you have to race Glomgold and Magica up five screens hoping not to mess up more than three times or you die.

Heck, the ENTIRETY of the lava ascent is CHAINS. I've made it past everything up until the short final climb with my lives and health intact, and I end up losing all three lives because I was either holding up too long or left/right for a split second shorter.

Seriously.
I said I would finish the game tonight, but fuck that section.

steveovig

I played some more tonight and got through the Amazon but it sure was a bitch. These levels are quite long but once I got through to the boss once and died, I nailed it the next time and it felt great. I'm playing on Medium and have advanced to Transylvania but I died at the boss. She doesn't seem too hard and I got a few hits in. I pretty much figure when I beat this game, I'm going to freak out! It's not quite as hard as the NES version but it still retains the difficulty quite well. At least, I can continue when I die and don't have to re-start everything.

Bring Ducktales 2, Chip and Dale, and the rest of the Mickey games. I need to buy some new 16-bit games too!

Tizoc

Depending on what system you're playing on you SHOULD be able to just make a separate account, not unless your aim's to collaboratively unlock everything anyway. Though I'd need to check on Wii U since that has the option for developers to just make universal save files. I like the idea of having that, but it's a shame some developers/publishers are bound to mess up there, nevermind the grey areas where cases can be made both ways.

I have a PS3, and want my younger relatives to play it when they visit, I'll explain the account switching to them since they mainly play on my non-US account on the PS3.

Took me 3 attempts, but I defeated the Amazon!

Love all the voice acting, the game play's good. Using the Pogo Stick is not super super simple, there are times where you're holding down and the button (C'mon, gotta play it on Hard Pogo) and the Pogo won't come out, but it was like that in the old version too.

Very cool, glad to see the difficulty is intact, I'm forcing myself to beat it on Normal, Easy just gives you way too many hearts and lives.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, spent about an hour with the game thus far, I rather like it, I rather like the jump in difficulty; ironically this game at this difficulty would be more at home on the NES then the original game. Also, yea, holy fuck the boss battles are on steroids. Still, it is certainly an ace remake thus far, aside from all the god damned cutscenes.

Top Bottom