• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

My impressions so far: music is great; boss fights are frustratingly frustrating.

Yep, first two times I fought the Amazon boss, he killed me because of Pogo fail, 3rd time I beat it without losing a single life, combination of knowing the pattern and not messing up the Pogo. (I refuse to go off of Hard Pogo)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yep, first two times I fought the Amazon boss, he killed me because of Pogo fail, 3rd time I beat it without losing a single life, combination of knowing the pattern and not messing up the Pogo. (I refuse to go off of Hard Pogo)

Yea, the pogo fails is a definite issue and it annoys me.

Robin64

EU PSN gets it today, i THOUght I added that when I posted the thread, my bad.

Ah sweet, cheers. That seals it then, Wii U doesn't get it til the 15th here, so the Sony platform gets my cash. Plus I think it costs more money on the Wii U anyway...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I guess the GMG deal is over, right? Tried a code floating around and it didn't work.

Tizoc

Yep. European prices:

PSN: £11.99
Steam: £11.99
eShop: £13.49

Why..?

It was 10.59 Pounds for UK by yesterday last I checked.
EDIT: Aha just as I thought, it was a pre-order discount =P Now it's back to regular EU Taxed price.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Alright, first impression time.

I've never played the NES game, so I really can't compare the two. Seen some footage over the years, looked like fun. Love Ducktales, though, so I was really hyped for this Remastered edition.
And great scott, this really is fun! :D

Looking at the rest of this page i'm probably the only one, but I love the cutscenes. Makes the levels feel like a Ducktales episode. They don't really get in the way, but are easily skipable if you want to do that. Alan Young still sounds great.

Talking about sound, I loved Kaufman's work on Double Dragon Neon and by jove, he did it again. Great Remastered score.

Game is quite though on meidum, but never unfair. (yet) Lot's of secrets. Pogo stick needs some getting used to, but feels really good.

I really enjoy it! :)
Looks gorgeous, too.

I'm up to the final level and I have no idea why some reviews smash the game into the ground for being too difficult. The only level I had real trouble with was the first one, Amazon, but mostly because you start with just three hearts. Finding all extra heart containers in the next levels makes it a cakewalk as long as you're just a little careful, and they're not even hard to find if you explore a little bit.

Having now played a little more, I can confirm - for Ducktales fans, both game and series, this game is the holy fucking grail. It's joyous.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Having now played a little more, I can confirm - for Ducktales fans, both game and series, this game is the holy fucking grail. It's joyous.

I honestly get annoyed at the complaints about the voice acting, it sounds fine to me. I mean shit I just watched the movie again a few months ago.

rhino4evr

I like the cut scenes, I just think are a few too many of them, especially on the amazon level when you enter one every time you pick up a coin. There are 8 coins in the span of about 8 mins of game play. The cutscenes take up quite a bit of time.

Of course you can skip them, with a quick start/x so it's not too bad, but it's still a minor hinderence when you've had to replay a level several times.

Also...

Is mrs Beakly in the Himalayas? I can't seem to find her. Found her in every other level so far

Tizoc

Well based off comments, stuff that Wayforward should try to patch for the game include:
1- Resolving the Pogo jump issue
2- Adding in multieple save slots(?)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

The pogo fails because you can't pogo the ground when he quakes it... They basically removed the mindless pogoing from that fight.

rhino4evr

I think they should leave the pogo jump alone. I haven't had any issues. The game cancels your pogo on purpose.

The only patch I would ask for is a "cutscenes off" In the options screen. Since the game encourages repeat playing, it would make the game a lot more fun to replay/speed run.

Just my opinion.

Cuburt

I thought the cutscenes might end up being extemporaneous and that is why people didn't like them but I think if you were a fan of the show, you are really missing out if they are skipping them. They did a great job at filling in the blanks that I sort of did with my imagination as a kid and all the motivation of the characters, dialog, and references feel like they were taking straight from the show. Even Scrooge's frustration with Launchpad and admiration when he comes through or his worrying about Webby and treating her like a child then realizing she could take care of herself and even help or
when the nephews get kidnapped and he is willing to give up his treasures to make sure the boys are safe
also seeing
his number one dime
playing a part in the game is a real treat.

The Moon level, the African Mines, the Himalayas, the Vault scenes, the Amazon, and the final level all had such great writing that felt right in line with the show (and the comics apparently) and tied in really nice with the original game.

I definitely think the cutscenes have gotten a bad rap because in my opinion they are well written and well acted enough to justify their existence. In fact, I enjoyed them so much, that instead of remaking another Disney X Capcom game like they've hinted they wanted to do if the game is a success, I'd rather they gave Wayforward the go ahead to make a 3rd Ducktales game with free reign to build on these games a little more and create a new Ducktales adventure. There is plenty of source material from the comics and the show that I think they could make something really great with the property still, especially since much of the original cast is still alive.

BTW
that scene where Gizmoduck forms his suit and rolls alongside Scrooge blasting things with his missile
is something I had wanted to see in the original game. That was literally like watching a childhood dream materialize years later.

duckroll

I thought the cutscenes might end up being extemporaneous and that is why people didn't like them but I think if you were a fan of the show, you are really missing out if they are skipping them. They did a great job at filling in the blanks that I sort of did with my imagination as a kid and all the motivation of the characters, dialog, and references feel like they were taking straight from the show. Even Scrooge's frustration with Launchpad and admiration when he comes through or his worrying about Webby and treating her like a child then realizing she could take care of herself and even help or
when the nephews get kidnapped and he is willing to give up his treasures to make sure the boys are safe
also seeing
his number one dime
playing a part in the game is a real treat.

I'm a fan of the show, and the only thing I feel I'm missing out when skipping a cutscene is missing out on the feeling of being really annoyed that the talent is being wasted in interrupting the game and making it worse. This isn't an episode of the show, this is a remake of the NES game. The cutscenes don't look like the show, they look like the game sprites standing around while voice clips are being played. There's no question that they put a lot of care into fleshing out of the plot of the game and connecting it to the show's characters, and getting the original voice cast back to record all that. But it's all wasted because it just makes the game worse. They should have commissioned a 30 minute animated episode of Ducktales based on the plot of the game instead, and put it in as an unlockable. :p

Cuburt

I thought Launchpad, the boys, and Webby were spot on with their VO. Scrooge and Magica were also very good still but Russi Taylor and Terry McGovern really impressed me with how they were able to jump right back into those characters.

Tizoc

Good 'ol Capcom. The Steam version is IP blocked in Japan. Guess I'm going PS3.

I think that's more of a Steam thing? What other games are blocked in Japan? I mean heck I can't get Bully from GMG nor Steam in my country/region.

Cuburt

I'm a fan of the show, and the only thing I feel I'm missing out when skipping a cutscene is missing out on the feeling of being really annoyed that the talent is being wasted in interrupting the game and making it worse. This isn't an episode of the show, this is a remake of the NES game. The cutscenes don't look like the show, they look like the game sprites standing around while voice clips are being played. There's no question that they put a lot of care into fleshing out of the plot of the game and connecting it to the show's characters, and getting the original voice cast back to record all that. But it's all wasted because it just makes the game worse. They should have commissioned a 30 minute animated episode of Ducktales based on the plot of the game instead, and put it in as an unlockable. :p

It's fine you have your opinion, and I only agree as far as pacing goes, especially in regards to the original game. If they included an option to turn all the cutscenes off, there would be nothing for people to complain about there.

That being said, I don't think it make the game worse or takes away from the game since it's all placed in to tie together the existing framework of the "story" or rather references and visual cues in the original game. The characters were written just like the show. The corny humor was intact. References and fan service were a really nice touch in my opinion and honestly, and takes that extra step that adds an addition level of polish to the game that I appreciate. Honestly, the game isn't terrible long even with the padding and to me, it's that polish that completely justifies the purchase to me.

I'd honestly take the game as it is now, cutscenes and all, over adding additional or longer levels or whatever some people seem to think adding would have made it better. When I finished my first playthrough, (which only took a few hours, off and on throughout the day), I was totally satisfied with my experience picking up the game and I can't think of many games I've paid $15 for that I felt the same way, especially if it seemed "short".

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's fine you have your opinion, and I only agree as far as pacing goes, especially in regards to the original game. If they included an option to turn all the cutscenes off, there would be nothing for people to complain about there.
Yeah, that's what they need.

I don't mind the cutscenes (in fact, they are kind of fun), but when you have to rewatch so many of those scenes when replaying a stage it becomes rather tedious. They should really patch in an option to disable cutscenes (at least when replaying a stage).

big_z

playing pc version and the pogo is broken. game overed on two levels because that shit doesn't work at random. not cool way forward.

rhino4evr

playing pc version and the pogo is broken. game overed on two levels because that shit doesn't work at random. not cool way forward.

There is nothing broken about the controls that wasn't broken before.

I honestly haven't died due to a bad pogo attempt once. Maybe I'm just used to the limitations.

The game controls extremely well and identical to the source material my
Opinion

The Foul

Just coming from finishing the game, that pogo bullshit was almost a deal breaker in itself. Trying to jump from chain to chain over and over again ruins my childhood memories. Now watching the 2000 people who made this game in the unskippable credits and wondering how so many QA people didn't catch the dodgy controls (this is on a 360 pad into PC also).

I'd advise anyone to wait for a sale and controls patch. Otherwise its a decent trip down memory lane.

moai

Playing on ps3 here. no issues with the pogo stick. Only time i thought it didn't respond was on the amazon boss fight, but then i realised that when the boss stomps the floor the stick doesn't work.

Decent game, only had time to play the amazon level. Hopefully will get to play it a bit more on the weekend.

I went PC and the choice was clear: PS3 is on last legs versus PC will always be top or near in the rotation. Plus it was cheap from a key reseller $10

That was my thought process as well.

rhino4evr

The amazon and its boss were pretty difficult, especially for being the first level on the selection screen. In comparison, I found the moon boss the easiest in the entire game.

You can always come back once you've found more heart containers

Agate

Neo Member
Got through the Amazon, Transylvania, and Moon stages. I can see why some of the reviewers would nag about the copious amount of cutscenes but aside from that (and the iffy pogo input at times) this game is golden. I haven't been this happy to relive my nostalgic childhood gaming moments ever since..Double Dragon Neon -- which I doubted much more than Ducktales..and was proven wrong to my surprise.

The boss battles have definitely been turned up a notch, the easiest so far was the mutated rat and the most challenging being Magica so far...the sound effects and music, for me are also spot on..all and all, I have no regrets getting this game.

Finally beat Normal Mode! Clocked in at 2:30. WOW at the difficulty spike during the final level!

You have to beat a ten minute stage (hoping to collect tons of gems) dodging cheaply placed bats, OHKO boulders, and cheap deaths when your pogo randomly goes out.
Then you have to beat Dracula Duck with his bats that move like the Medusa Heads from Castlevania.
Then you have to race Glomgold and Magica up five screens hoping not to mess up more than three times or you die.
THEN you have to ascend during a volcanic eruption with zero room for error.

In three lives.

But that's not why you get a game over.

IT'S THE HANGING CHAINS.

It may just be the Wii U version, but I can't for the life of me grab chains 50% of the time. This wasn't an issue in earlier levels like The Amazon, but the final level requires you to grab chains everywhere. Even over lava.

Heck, the ENTIRETY of the lava ascent is CHAINS. I've made it past everything up until the short final climb with my lives and health intact, and I end up losing all three lives because I was either holding up too long or left/right for a split second shorter.

If that was normal mode...what is HARD MODE like?!

Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the remake, especially the original voice actors!

And I love being able to
play with the original 8-bit music
when you beat the game, though I wish that
the original NES version was unlockable.

I think it's fair to say that the two new levels are the worst in the game.

As for me, I tend to struggle with
Dracula Duck's bite attack in the final boss battle
. I find it very hard to dodge. By the time that you've figured out
where he's going to bite
, it's too late to get out of the way.

And I love being able to
play with the original 8-bit music
when you beat the game, though I wish that
the original NES version was unlockable.

sad its not there in its entirety i was really hoping for it. looks like ill stll have to play on on wii vc to play it on a television.

kinda makes me sad they dont make you buy the boss keys like the old one

and i really hate the cutscenes i tried not to. i wish there was one big video opening if you let the start screen roll or something.

that sounds like one hell of a difficulty spike as well

khaaan

The difference between hard and soft Pogo is that you have to press down to initiate pogo on one and on the other it's auto, right?

that sounds like one hell of a difficulty spike as well

That first
timed
section comes out of nowhere as well.
You beat the final boss, and then you're told that you have to figure out how to get up a vertical, slightly claustrophobic platforming section unlike anything else you've done before in a short amount of time. And, a screw-up can potentially send you back to the bottom.

Food for thought for those experiencing problems with the pogo.

All right, I've been playing this on a standard definition television and haven't run into any of the issues I've been hearing about.

However, I do seem to remember having issues when I played certain later Mega Man games on HD televisions. Specifically, I had trouble 'holding' a charge when I would charge up my arm cannon. Apparently, due to some kind of lag, the game would somehow skip over a second while I had the button bushed down, resulting in me losing my charge shot. It basically made the game unplayable because you just could not keep the button pushed down for an extended period of time due to the lag.

I'm thinking that this might be what people are experiencing in this HD DuckTales game. The way the pogo works is, you have to keep the button held down, otherwise it will cancel out if you let go of the button, which is a required feature in many parts of the game, such as the underground sections in the Amazon with the spikes on the ceiling. The move works much the same way the Mega Buster does in Mega Man 4 and up, basically having to keep a button held down, otherwise it will cancel out your move.

Does this make any sense?

Top Bottom