• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

mishakoz

Duck pajamas!!! I need this game!

I hope it doesn't cost too much, I don't want to run up a Bill.

I wonder if you can jump and also duck

I hope scrooge doesn't become a quack addict

...thank you I'll be here all week.

- 8bit mode is unlocked by completing the game, so it's easy.
- sound isn't emulated, so you're not going to get nes style artifacting
- no nes version is more complicated than a licensing issue.

aceldama

Banned
Holy shit, for the retail version, you still have to download it? Glad to find this out, since I had planned on buying the game. I do not do digital.

I was with my GF at a local pond today, there were ducks there, I called one of them Scrooge McDuck

Guess I'm getting this on Steam, no point in downloading things to the 360 at this point (especially since it releases later)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Lack of virtual console release might be a mapper issue for emulation. Are any unrom2 games on virtual console?

Meia

Having never played this considering I easily could have as a kid is apparently a no-no I plan to rectify when it gets released. Just hope it's as good as the vast majority says it is. :p

Guessing the GMG price is with one of their standard codes, but they don't have any of their normal %-off codes on the site at the moment.

Elios83

Can't wait to play this next week =)
When I was a kid it was my favourite Gameboy game while I was at the beach :p

CengizMan

Just watched DuckTales: Remastered - Music Duckumentary and I suddenly got very hyped for this game. I love how they combined the 8-bit sound with modern sound. They really put a lot of care and attention into it. Not just music actually, but also game play, backgrounds, animation, voice-overs. That makes me happy and hyped at the same time!

- 8bit mode is unlocked by completing the game, so it's easy.
- sound isn't emulated, so you're not going to get nes style artifacting
- no nes version is more complicated than a licensing issue.
Are you with WayForward too? Do I know you? You seem to know an awful lot about this game. This was my last game with the company. Too bad I can't change my own title. Very proud of the job we did on this, though.

Tizoc

Are you with WayForward too? Do I know you? You seem to know an awful lot about this game. This was my last game with the company. Too bad I can't change my own title. Very proud of the job we did on this, though.

My guess is he either got a review copy OR, knows someone who has a review copy.

At any rate, hope you can share more about the game's development after it gets released =)
I'd also like to personally thank you and Wayforward for the work you did on the game.

It will be up on virt's bandcamp day one.

Wouldn't count on it but I do hope it's released one day.

can you go into details?

edit: and thank you

Hmmm....not really. But there's a reason you don't see NES games included often in these types of games. Not to say it never happens, but it's rare.

Are the sound effects faithful to the NES version?, or where they modified/changed?

New sounds with inspiration from the original. Watch gameplay vids to see/hear.

My guess is he either got a review copy OR, knows someone who has a review copy.

At any rate, hope you can share more about the game's development after it gets released =)
I'd also like to personally thank you and Wayforward for the work you did on the game.

I am neither and did not work at WF, but I am someone qualified to answer the questions I've been answering.

IvanDashSmith

Neo Member

You're welcome. :)

El Odio

Banned
Just watched DuckTales: Remastered - Music Duckumentary and I suddenly got very hyped for this game. I love how they combined the 8-bit sound with modern sound. They really put a lot of care and attention into it. Not just music actually, but also game play, backgrounds, animation, voice-overs. That makes me happy and hyped at the same time!
This game was always on my radar since I've always heard good things about the original but it was the duckumentaries that convinced me to buy it. They showed that a lot of care went into making this and it is the farthest thing from a simple cash in.

Eusis

EDIT: Sorry. Double post.
Hmm... $12 sounds like a good deal.
On the other hand, this is a remake... er... reMASTERED version of an NES game, so getting this on a Nintendo system is a good idea.
The Digital Deluxe promo is worth keeping in mind if that's the Wii U you have, and honestly short of hating black (which, err, I can sympathize with) or overestimating launch demand and sticking with Basic why wouldn't you have Deluxe instead? The net savings is a bit lower I believe, it's effectively a 10% off promo so it'd be more like $1.50, but if you've got credit to use there's that, and that's doubly reinforced if you're ALSO on the cusp of getting more credit.

I'm buying it for no other reason than nostalgia but they've done a fantastic job on it from what I have seen.

Chip 'n' Dale with online co-op must be next!

Raitaro

I still can't fully believe that we have an actual OT on Gaf right now for a Ducktales game! Who would have guessed that some years ago?

Assuming that this game does indeed turn out good, I do hope that its success might allow Wayforward to work with Capcom and Disney on other games as well. As a collector in spirit I'd like to be able to play Ducktales 2, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 1 + 2, Darkwing Duck etc. in a similar fashion. I mean, why stop at Ducktales 1 right?

I have to say though, that I am still trying to get used to seeing the crisp 2D characters walk on those polygonal stages. Did one of the documentaires explain why they chose this - aesthetically always somewhat clashing - approach?

(Also, as big a fan of Kaufman's music I normally am, especially after Double Dragon Neon, I have to say that I'm not really feeling his versions of the classic songs for this game so far. Some of the Overclocked Remix songs I've heard over the years simly seemed to have more oomph and creativity, though I suspect that this is partly caused by Virt wanting to stick closer to the original sound.)

This game has major importance to me, as the announcement thread proves. I'm double-dipping on the PS3 and 360 versions. Need that boxed copy

Eusis

I'd be more interested in a retail copy if either a disc was in it or at least a decent manual/booklet. Since it seems very likely it is literally a case, code, and pin I just don't see any point to it, at least for full price at launch. Maybe if they heavily discount it on PS3 I'd go ahead and get it there.

L Thammy

Okay, the unlockable theme song has me interested. But I never played the original game - all I know is that it's a platformer and it has great music.

Was this actually a really solid game, or was it just solid for a licensed game?

FSLink

Banned
Okay, the unlockable theme song has me interested. But I never played the original game - all I know is that it's a platformer and it has great music.

Was this actually a really solid game, or was it just solid for a licensed game?
Yes, it's fantastic.
The designer was the same guy for Mega Man 2 and 3 iirc.

Top Bottom