• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Defenders |OT| |XBLA PSN PC MAC iOS ANDROID| cross-platform coming soon

is this worth the cash even though I'll be

1. Playing solo (cross platform play is another story, when/if that happens)
2. Not a huge fan of Dota or the sorts

I dont think i could stay playign just solo, some classes will find it impossible to go very far since many have 0 means of building walls.

Not sure if its like DOTA since Ive never played that but the best i can say is its a basic tower defense game but instead of setting the towers and pushign the go button for the waves of enemies to attack and praying the towers you placed are enough to defend you instead set the towers, push the go button, then have to actively play your class and fight along side your teammates as well as upgrade, repair, sell, build during the fight. So its just not about placing the towers but you have to put a ton of work into finding and upgrading your armor and weapons as well as your pet.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Woah. Is this working as intended? I have all the DLC, but my friend doesn't. He was able to play the DLC challenges with me, without actually owning any of it. That seems crazy.

Yeah, ur friend just wont get the DLC rewards or something iirc. Also is all the DLC worth it? Only one person my friends list has them all and I cant decide whether to pull the trigger. Of course one of the reasons I want it is just so to have the complete game(kinda OCD about having all the dlc for a game for some reason...).

BTW for the TF2 items/portal gun I should equip them in ranked right or have they fixed not being able to use ur items once u equip/use them in ranked if u used em in local/open?

Yeah, ur friend just wont get the DLC rewards or something iirc. Also is all the DLC worth it? Only one person my friends list has them all and I cant decide whether to pull the trigger. Of course one of the reasons I want it is just so to have the complete game(kinda OCD about having all the dlc for a game for some reason...).

BTW for the TF2 items/portal gun I should equip them in ranked right or have they fixed not being able to use ur items once u equip/use them in ranked if u used em in local/open?

Not sure about the TF2 items thing but as far as DLC is concerned I think its needed and I since content liek that is the lifeblood of the game. Considering you get pretty mcuh all yoru towers and skills fairly quickly its about content as far as maps and challenges to keep you intrested. The classes thing tho is up to you since its just gender with very very minor ability changes. female Warrior might be better then male but it is no way a game changer.

Bought this today and have been playing with a buddy. Some of the most fun I've had this gen. Such a blast. If you are on the fence, just go for it! It's definitely worth $3.74

Only downside I can say Ive had with the game is being to low a level for most of the people I see in my server list or being kicked from games when I choose quick play by the host.

I find hosting my own game to be the best choice.

Forkball

Played it solo for about an hour and it's pretty fun. I admit my hand is a bit cramped because I played Wizard and pew pew'd everything nonstop. I'm typically not a fan of tower defense games, but the gameplay is active enough to keep it exciting with only minimal micromanagement. I also like the degree in which you can customize your character, in both skills and appearance. I'm impressed thus far and I can't wait to play some multiplayer.

Eliciel

currently playing with two friends. Best Tower Defense + RPG Hack&Slash in a long while. Hits all the right spots. I'm loving it

btw. for all of you who had problems setting up online matches try to start the game by right clicking on your dungeon defenders in steam and go to "Start game with..." and fill in -tcp then start your game. Worked for me!

have fun

Dreavus

Finally picked this game up. Is any of the DLC worth it? Not really interested in the characters, but how about the other stuff? Since everything's on sale right now...

Just wondering, but has anyone else gotten a weird bug where all controls turn into 360 controls? Complete with 360 buttons on-screen. I had to alt-tab and close the game because the mouse wasn't even working. I could use WASD to move, though...but nothing else. My controller wasn't even plugged in.

It only happened once, but it was extremely random.

Gala

Bought it yesterday. Is it exactly the same as on iOS?

Any advice for beginners? Skill- and class-wise?

Eliciel

Bought it yesterday. Is it exactly the same as on iOS?

Any advice for beginners? Skill- and class-wise?

The squire has the best towers in-game and I think you need at least 1 squire in your team so if you want to be the one go on ! :D

My friends are playing apprentice and huntress. Huntress has weak traps but can sniper kill a lot ..definitely helped us in some situations, especially against flying enemies. The Apprentice has really good atk power towers and can also kill a lot.

So it's a matter of taste but I love melee so that's why I chose the Squire. The other thing I noticed is that there are a looot more Staffs and Bows, Guns dropped than really good swords. On the other hand there are a lot more good armors for the squire.

Just have fun with the game every character has good abilities for different situations.

Dunlop

picked up the dlc also and got my apprentice to 16

Total noob question, how do you use the character ability (i.e Overcharge)? Not sure how I missed it on the tutorial but I checked the control options, tried to google and I just cant find it

using a 360 pad

Gowans

Does GAF have a DD group?

Played a 4player coop game on my lunch.

Shit got real, levelled up a tonne, love it!

Javaman

I dont think i could stay playign just solo, some classes will find it impossible to go very far since many have 0 means of building walls.

One nice thing is that you can switch out characters without their buildings dissappearing. That lets you build whatever you want even when playing single player. Also you can power level characters by building up in insane with powerful towers and switching to a low level character before activating it. I gained 15 levels once on a high survival round of Ramparts.

Eliciel

Question:

If I export my trendynet character to open world will the trendynet character disappear? Or just my existing open world characters?

thank you in advance

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Played a bit yesterday. Animations and UI are still bad, but it was fun.

Looks like the new content is all dlc stuff, so my little complaints will likely never get addressed.

Question:

If I export my trendynet character to open world will the trendynet character disappear? Or just my existing open world characters?

thank you in advance

Your TNet character will replace your Open character, but it will still be there on TNet. There should be a warning letting you know the game is going to replace your Open character when it's about to happen.

One nice thing is that you can switch out characters without their buildings dissappearing. That lets you build whatever you want even when playing single player. Also you can power level characters by building up in insane with powerful towers and switching to a low level character before activating it. I gained 15 levels once on a high survival round of Ramparts.

Rampart is Bestpart =D

I finally picked this up last night with all the DLC. I love this game, I already put in 6 hours which might not sound like much but for me it is. Its stealing my bf3 time, I just got bf last weekend too =\ The only thing I'm not liking is in single player it seems like you need to level all the toons to use their traps, I think it takes to long to keep switching toons out in build wave... Either way I bought it for online and I'm having a blast as a 16 monk setting up my lightning aura.

Neki

Almost everyone in the office is in love with the Huntress. I prefer double-classing with the Squire and the Apprentice. :^)

she's only fun once you have a rapid fire bow.

otherwise, she sucks.

but this is before level 20, maybe piercing shot will change it

Concept17

she's only fun once you have a rapid fire bow.

otherwise, she sucks.

but this is before level 20, maybe piercing shot will change it

I just hit 20 with my huntress as a DPS build. I can't find a good dps weapon for the life of me. Every gun/bow I've picked up sucks, which in turn makes her suck. Been playing with 2 friends who are the squire/monk and I basically do nothing all game. =\

I just hit 20 with my huntress as a DPS build. I can't find a good dps weapon for the life of me. Every gun/bow I've picked up sucks, which in turn makes her suck. Been playing with 2 friends who are the squire/monk and I basically do nothing all game. =\

Late-game Huntress weapons are ridiculous.

Javaman

Rampart is Bestpart =D
Yeah, it seems like the best map to level up and loot in. I was having a heck of a time with wyvern def with my huntress. The lightening things work well except for groups and electicity resistant wyverns. I just couldn't count on them when I have to go after ogres. Now that I have an apprentace build up in tower stats, it's soooo much easier when combining the two. The hunteress does the primary trap building (yay 30+ trap counts) and the apprentace buildings protect the crystals with a magic missle/fireball combo and does the repairing during rounds. I just love this game. Started out great, got boring/frusterating in the middle levels, then now is really fun again. The hardest decision right now is when to acctually upgrade my equipment. It'll take a HUGE amount of mana and i'd hate to spend it then find something slightly better. Although how could you tell is an unpowered drop is better than a leveled one? It'll have a thumbs down even if you could upgrade it more. At what point do diminishing returns set in for hero stats? I've got 150 or so in some building stats. Should I spread the wealth around more?

Javaman

Late-game Huntress weapons are ridiculous.
I've been using the chicken gun from beating the chicken challenge on medium. I beat it again on hard and threw a bunch of mana away on upgrading the second one thinking it would be better than the one I got on normal. Either I lost the luck of the draw, or playing with extra players on medium gave it a stat boost.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been using the chicken gun from beating the chicken challenge on medium. I beat it again on hard and threw a bunch of mana away on upgrading the second one thinking it would be better than the one I got on normal. Either I lost the luck of the draw, or playing with extra players on medium gave it a stat boost.
Hard gives it higher possible values. I did like 10 High Five runs on med then 10 on hard and a lot ended up similar.

Humm is there a difference between genders of classes?

I am looking at the monk class.

Not in towers but in the abilities.

I think, tho Im not 100% sure, the female warrior is the only good choice as a female. Supposedly the Male rangers special powers are better then the female and the male monk and mage are better then thier female counter-parts.

Sarcasm

Enjoying the monk, but why is practically a majority of mobs electric resistant?

I been spending points into the tower stuff too.

Any tips?

Javaman

Enjoying the monk, but why is practically a majority of mobs electric resistant?

I been spending points into the tower stuff too.

Any tips?
I feel the same way with the huntress for fire immunity. I guess you just notice it more if it's your character's main weakness. Main thing is to build some towers with a different character to counter them, and make sure your weapon isn't mainly electric based. I'm LOVING the late game now that my huntress is maxed out level wise. Now I just need to find a good set of armor. I hate to spend mana on anything armor related though since I never wnow when ill find something better. How can you figure out if a drop has higher stats than a weaker one that's fully upgraded? It's always going to show a down thumb even if it's better.

Javaman

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

A190E4EB5F15211EA93053C5698D706B87F25628

Second time it's happened to me so far. This time I got permanently stuck at the very top on some scenery right before killing the last one.

What does the "Casting Rate" stat control?

At first I thought it was attack speed (playing an apprentice) so I pumped a lot of points into it but now I think its just how fast you can summon or repair towers. Is there an ingame database with all that info in it?

Ugh, think I better respec

Also a random question: Do pets get bigger if you level them up? I've given mine a few levels (but want to save mana for later pets, I have a dragon all locked in the store and ready to go). I think they've gotten bigger but I can't tell if I'm just imagining it

Top Bottom