• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Defenders |OT| |XBLA PSN PC MAC iOS ANDROID| cross-platform coming soon

What does the "Casting Rate" stat control?

At first I thought it was attack speed (playing an apprentice) so I pumped a lot of points into it but now I think its just how fast you can summon or repair towers. Is there an ingame database with all that info in it?

Ugh, think I better respec

Also a random question: Do pets get bigger if you level them up? I've given mine a few levels (but want to save mana for later pets, I have a dragon all locked in the store and ready to go). I think they've gotten bigger but I can't tell if I'm just imagining it

Yes casting rate is the speed of summoning/fixing/upgrading. Not sure on Pet size through leveling, I know Ive bought/earned pet of all types of sizes. Also it seems pet level up like the player does through making kills.

Yes casting rate is the speed of summoning/fixing/upgrading.

Ahh that sucks, I definitely need to respec this weekend. I think casting rate has my highest points total (my level is in the late 20s now). I kept thinking it would let me shoot faster. Oh well.

Ahh that sucks, I definitely need to respec this weekend. I think casting rate has my highest points total (my level is in the late 20s now). I kept thinking it would let me shoot faster. Oh well.

Yeah, shot speed (no matter if its orbs from a staff, ammo from a gun, or orbs from a monks hands) looks like an arrow flying striaght and usually has a ludacris number near it like "+200" and sometimes you'll find a horribly slower weapon and it will say something like "-300" etc..

XeroSauce

Level 20 character here.

Is it ever worth it to upgrade/invest into low level stuff? I have this axe I really like but I'm almost gurenteed to get better, no?

MRORANGE

Level 20 character here.

Is it ever worth it to upgrade/invest into low level stuff? I have this axe I really like but I'm almost gurenteed to get better, no?

I must have sold all my low level stuff and just picked up stuff and went along, your sure to pick up some really fancy stuff in a high level match, if you don't get kicked ;)

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I tried the demo. I just can't get into it. Unlike Orcs Must Die!, this one has just a little too much fat for my taste.

I prefer Orcs Must Die! for single player. Dungeon Defenders is fun multiplayer though.

I must have sold all my low level stuff and just picked up stuff and went along, your sure to pick up some really fancy stuff in a high level match, if you don't get kicked ;)

My first time online I did a quick match, and I was in a game with everyone that was level 50+. They kicked me out after 2 rounds, but I got to level 12. I'm currently level 21(?), I need people to play with!

Sarcasm

Just got a MacBook pro, how come this doesn't show on my list of mac games to install? Its fine on pc.

I don't see an OSX version.

Example look at killing floor scroll to bottom where requirements are, you see one for PC and Mac.

On DD, just says system and OS XP or W7.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
At this point, I'm starting to wonder why Trendy even opted to release this on consoles. It's pretty clear they weren't prepared to deal with the console environment and it's differences from the PC. The Dungeon Defenders that PC players are currently enjoying is, at this point, virtually a completely different game than the one us lowly consolites are playing. =/ And that's not even to mention the trophy bug that makes it necessary to sync my trophies if I want to so much as view them. And the promised cross-platform play that still hasn't materialized two months after release. I actually feel bad that I talked three friends into buying this, with the sole selling point being that we could play cross-platform together. Two months in and we still can't do so.

I'm not mad, just disappointed. =/

No tips for you - I'm nowhere near prepared to deal with insane.

I have this for box the Xbox and the PC - playing it on PC with a 360 controller, but I'm curious to see how it plays on the 360. Is it really that different?

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I fucking love this game. I have 6 70's now. Looking to tackle more endgame content, particular uber monster fest. My squire is at 220k dps, if anyone else is up for the challenge i'd love to play with ya.

Any tips for the suicide bomber guys? They fuck my day up on insane.

What class? As a squire, I've noticed that they're an issue when I put a wall at a junction or turn and they light their fuses before my turrets have line of sight. Usually remedied by backing the wall up some so that they have to turn the corner before they 'see' the turret (and light their fuse).

Also I don't run around outside, let like 4 light up and chase me, and then go hide behind a wall. That can suck.

Javaman

I fucking love this game. I have 6 70's now. Looking to tackle more endgame content, particular uber monster fest. My squire is at 220k dps, if anyone else is up for the challenge i'd love to play with ya.
I only have 2 level 70s right now, app and huntress both speced for building. I've been neglecting my monk though. I need to get him leveled up in order to stand a chance in the monster fest by using his auras. Have you finished all the challenges on insane yet? I can't even beat some of them on medium yet. LOL

oxrock

I only have 2 level 70s right now, app and huntress both speced for building. I've been neglecting my monk though. I need to get him leveled up in order to stand a chance in the monster fest by using his auras. Have you finished all the challenges on insane yet? I can't even beat some of them on medium yet. LOL

I guess I skipped the challenges. I went straight to survival on insane. Got to wave 20 on alch labs before a fucking ninja went around my defenses and just owned the core. Fairly certain I can finish it if I had the time.

I have an awesome setup for that if anyone has waaay too much time and would like to come along.

Javaman

I guess I skipped the challenges. I went straight to survival on insane. Got to wave 20 on alch labs before a fucking ninja went around my defenses and just owned the core. Fairly certain I can finish it if I had the time.

I have an awesome setup for that if anyone has waaay too much time and would like to come along.
Ow, that sucks. I've read on the forums that a random arrow shot at the player and missed could hit and kill the crystal with one hit on the later levels (20+) Yeah, I wouldn't mind. I could really use some higher level pristine armor.. I got to level 11 on insane AA and was holding on well until the game crashed. Some of my steam pal popped in and gained 30 something levels! I used a mix of towers on the sides with demo charges and magician walls at the ends of the hallways. For the front chokepoint I used a layered combo of demo/fire/poison gas and a lightening tower/ensnare aura. I had a high level apprentace sniper tower overlooking the crystal just in case. The highest I've ever been on insane survival was level 15 on ramparts while riding someone else's coattails.

oxrock

Ow, that sucks. I've read on the forums that a random arrow shot at the player and missed could hit and kill the crystal with one hit on the later levels (20+) Yeah, I wouldn't mind. I could really use some higher level pristine armor.. I got to level 11 on insane AA and was holding on well until the game crashed. Some of my steam pal popped in and gained 30 something levels! I used a mix of towers on the sides with demo charges and magician walls at the ends of the hallways. For the front chokepoint I used a layered combo of demo/fire/poison gas and a lightening tower/ensnare aura. I had a high level apprentace sniper tower overlooking the crystal just in case. The highest I've ever been on insane survival was level 15 on ramparts while riding someone else's coattails.

I found an awesome setup that allows you to get really far with really crap gear. It of course works just as well for people with good gear =p I wouldn't mind running gaffers through, just friend me on steam and say hello sometime. I'll probably do a survival run or two sometime today.
steamid = oxrock

Javaman

I found an awesome setup that allows you to get really far with really crap gear. It of course works just as well for people with good gear =p I wouldn't mind running gaffers through, just friend me on steam and say hello sometime. I'll probably do a survival run or two sometime today.
steamid = oxrock
Will do. I won't be on till late tonight though. Time to buff up a tower monk to prepare for the monsterfest!

oxrock

Will do. I won't be on till late tonight though. Time to buff up a tower monk to prepare for the monsterfest!

I've made a tower everything, using the best of all classes seems mandatory until you're uber geared at least.

Javaman

I've made a tower everything, using the best of all classes seems mandatory until you're uber geared at least.
Do mage tower or others in general shoot through each other? How about through mage or the other guy's walls? Also what causes the aura's health to decline, just time or the number of enemies going through it?

oxrock

Do mage tower or others in general shoot through each other? How about through mage or the other guy's walls? Also what causes the aura's health to decline, just time or the number of enemies going through it?

Defense structures do indeed shoot through each other, so no LOS issues in that regard. Aura health declines as a result of it affecting enemies. So those necros and their skeletons can be big aura drains.

I was just about to post this. Slick Deals says this is cheaper than what Steam was selling it for on their Daily Deal. I missed it the first time around, but I had some regret so I'll defiantly be picking it up this time.

$3 is a great price for the game but people might want to take note that buying the game on Steam will give you some exclusive familiars and a portal gun that you don't get when buying on Amazon. If you don't intend on playing this soon, then it might be worth it to wait and see how low this game drops during the upcoming Steam sale.

$3 is a great price for the game but people might want to take note that buying the game on Steam will give you some exclusive familiars and a portal gun that you don't get when buying on Amazon. If you don't intend on playing this soon, then it might be worth it to wait and see how low this game drops during the upcoming Steam sale.

True. I don't think I'll get to this game right away, so I hope that the DLC goes on sale again this Christmas so I can load up on that as well.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I've clocked about 10 hours on the game so far. Kind of a drag that there's no way to play with friends on different platforms. A couple of buddies have the game too, but they're on consoles, and I have the PC version. =(

Nonetheless, the game is decent fun. I've been working on a tower build squire. Jacked my tower damage into the stratosphere so now they can pretty much one-shot anything but bosses. I may need to nudge the damage up a tad more to do this on insane difficulty. This strategy seems to have trivialized a lot of the game for me now, though, unless I play with the difficulty cranked up. Just got to the point in the campaign where I have to defend three crystals, so I guess I'll see how that goes. I figure another week and I'll be at level 70, so I'll see how things are then on insane mode, and start trying out some of the other classes.

Not a bad game, but I find the level grinding a bit off putting, and agree with others that I'd probably like the game more in multiplayer. As it stands, Orcs Must Die wins hands down for single player fun if I put these two games head-to-head.

oxrock

I can setup a leveling group for those interested in seeing endgame content. It's really fucking easy to just power level people in this game.

Javaman

I've clocked about 10 hours on the game so far. Kind of a drag that there's no way to play with friends on different platforms. A couple of buddies have the game too, but they're on consoles, and I have the PC version. =(

Nonetheless, the game is decent fun. I've been working on a tower build squire. Jacked my tower damage into the stratosphere so now they can pretty much one-shot anything but bosses. I may need to nudge the damage up a tad more to do this on insane difficulty. This strategy seems to have trivialized a lot of the game for me now, though, unless I play with the difficulty cranked up. Just got to the point in the campaign where I have to defend three crystals, so I guess I'll see how that goes. I figure another week and I'll be at level 70, so I'll see how things are then on insane mode, and start trying out some of the other classes.

Not a bad game, but I find the level grinding a bit off putting, and agree with others that I'd probably like the game more in multiplayer. As it stands, Orcs Must Die wins hands down for single player fun if I put these two games head-to-head.
I went with a huntress builder up to level 70 first and found that combining some of each character helps out a lot in the tougher challenges. Some of them are extremely tough above mediam. To put it into perspective I've beaten all the campain maps on insane but still hadn't gotten past mediam on some challenges. My ideal endgame is to have a tower specialized build for each main character and a dps dealer with the female hero. Getting these guys leveled up and upgraded has become a new meta challenge for me. I've been digging further and deeper into survival missions thanks to the combinations I can build now. I made it as far as level 13 on pure defensive build last night on insane, something I could NEVER do before combining classes. I'm going on a hundred hours now (mostly in single player) and can't get enough of this game. Each time I have some time to spare I accomplish something... better loot, a couple levels, or a new technique. This damnable game.

MightyKAC

So I haven't been paying much attention, did Trendy actually make good on there cross-platform promises or is that still something slated to come "down the line"?

Javaman

I can setup a leveling group for those interested in seeing endgame content. It's really fucking easy to just power level people in this game.
Count me in. Sorry I missed you last night. Tonight is going to be all about beer and defending dungeons. I need to get this monk up from 40 to 60 so he can start wearing the godly armor I've been saving for him. I pretty much automatically lock all the godly armor and have each character have their own set with bonus. What's the best armor in the game? Do you go mostly by the total number of upgrade points? Does leather, chain, plate and pristine tend to focus on different attributes or is it better to try and always get pristine?

Javaman

With all the new players that have recently purchased this game, connecting to TrendyNet is taking longer than usual.
You can thank all the MIA stores being run now. There are hundreds of them where people are selling high level stuff for millions in mana. I'm nott a fan of the DD economy AT ALL. At least it hasn't been tied to real money yet. In fact I think the hitman guy connected to the development teamm posted in this thread about how to report people who do. I really hope it doesn't eventually go that route, free to play or pay for upgrades. <shudder>
BTW, Sorry for the double postings in this thread. I can't edit additional quotes into my older posts with my phone.

oxrock

Count me in. Sorry I missed you last night. Tonight is going to be all about beer and defending dungeons. I need to get this monk up from 40 to 60 so he can start wearing the godly armor I've been saving for him. I pretty much automatically lock all the godly armor and have each character have their own set with bonus. What's the best armor in the game? Do you go mostly by the total number of upgrade points? Does leather, chain, plate and pristine tend to focus on different attributes or is it better to try and always get pristine?

The different kinds of armor mean nothing, it's just to make it more of a pain in the ass to make a good complete set. upgrades is definately a number to be concerned with, however the actual armor stats are important too. Better to use an item with +25 hero dmg and 25 upgrades than +5 hero dmg and 30 upgrades for instance.

So I haven't been paying much attention, did Trendy actually make good on there cross-platform promises or is that still something slated to come "down the line"?
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I've been in Orlando witnessing the glory of My Morning Jacket. Cross-platform play is still down the road. Sorry for the wait, guys.

Sarcasm

I don't understand item stats at all.

So far I been just using stuff the has a green thumb up.

Monk and my scquire.

Started a huntress and been doing that..when I lvl up there is a red 0 in one of the stats (I think damage)..and says -6 elemental..

I have no cluuueeeee

Mr_eX

Hit 25 last night so I can finally use the TF2 pets. During combat I usually go around upgrading everyone's stuff so I'm thinking I might use the engie but I might use the pyro or heavy because they seem to do pretty good damage.

Im_Special

Hey Hitmonchan107 please get someone to fix that terrible Alt-Tab crashing bug, I've lost so much progress due to this and it seems to be getting ignored. A way to play windowed/fullscreen/boarderless would be nice and should fix the Alt-Tab bug.

oxrock

Monk and my scquire.

Started a huntress and been doing that..when I lvl up there is a red 0 in one of the stats (I think damage)..and says -6 elemental..

I have no cluuueeeee

I disliked that there wasn't any tool tips explaining the stats. Most weapons come with both physical damage and elemental. You can pump both if you really wanted but it's best to stick to one stat.

Elemental: Good for tower toons especially. You get good dps while maintaining your tower stats on your armor items. The downside is that your abilities don't scale with elemental damage and you'll run into a ton of monsters immune to your element. Elemental weapon damage does scale faster than physical though.

Physical: For hero toons mostly. Monsters can't resist physical.

P.S. The best tower toon to have as your first 70 would certainly be the squire/countess. Then you can level all your other toons using him. Once I was able to use him to solo halloween hard, levels and money came a LOT faster.

Javaman

Monk and my scquire.

I have no cluuueeeee
Using the green thumb is a good rule of thumb for the most part. Sometimes though it'll boost up stats you don't care about. I don't sweat it too much though. You'll be constantly getting better gear even past level 70. The red or green text shows how the new item compares against your currently equipped stuff. Regarding the other post about engineer, I'd stay away from using him in the beginning of a new round. He eats up so much freaking mana repairing stuff that you'll frequently have none left to build with. Late game though when there's hundreds of mana being dropped though it makes a good companion. I wish I could respec him though. I've been dumping all it's upgrades into building health without realizing that the attack strength affects how much he heals stuff. This game REALLY needs tool tips.

oxrock

Once you get further along, you won't use the tf2 pets anyway. You haven't lost too much. Also, stayed up drinking and gaming with a buddy who hates DD last night, so I apologize for not playing with anyone. I should be down tonight though.

oxrock

cool, this dlc shit is pretty much the nail in the coffin causing me to not want to play this anymore. Always good to have validation.

Voidguts

uh.. not really understanding why you guys are so offended by some $4 dollar DLC that adds new levels/weapons/bosses/etc. personally, DD was the best money I've spent on Steam - I've clocked in 118 hours - I even paid full price, while most people probably got it for less than half of that. I'll gladly pick up at least the first of the four DLC to see how it is.

Top Bottom