• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Defenders |OT| |XBLA PSN PC MAC iOS ANDROID| cross-platform coming soon

InertiaXr

What class are you playing? It's pretty important to have access to a class that can stop mobs. The app has a magic wall that removes their immunity and the hero can build spiked walls that are stronger and can damage the foe. This gives you more time to whail on the baddy. The monk can cast a weaken aura spell that greatly reduces the enemy's strength.

I'm a level 6 or so Squire. I have those spiked walls, but the big dude breaks it down in 2-3 hits. I've played plenty of tower defense games and know what I'm doing pretty well I think, but this guy seems so out of place. He has literally 40-45 times more health than anything else I have ever fought, and my guy alone does MAYBE 80 DPS, and this guy has 22,000HP...

Edgeward

Is it easy for a new player to ge into this one at this point? I mean is everyone at max lvl now and have all the dlc while I just bought the game last night.
Also do I have to level each character separately or ?
Oh and is it the game meant for co-op only or can you enjoy it solo as well?

Well with a sale like the Steam sale you would have to believe there are going to be low level people. I know when doing the Holiday achievement I ran into people ranging from 1-17 most times.

Yes you level each character individually.

While the very early levels are fine to do solo it's better to have people playing because you won't be able to cover the entire area to repair towers or kill stragglers that make it past your defenses on the later maps as some of them are huge. It's meant to be played with at least 1 other person.

Javaman

Is it easy for a new player to ge into this one at this point? I mean is everyone at max lvl now and have all the dlc while I just bought the game last night.
Also do I have to level each character separately or ?
Oh and is it the game meant for co-op only or can you enjoy it solo as well?
It's super easy to get into. You might have some rough patches where you feel like you hit a wall, but all you have to do is gain some levels for other classes, get some better equipment, or join up with some other people. It's really amazing how powerful you'll get in the later game. The biggest thing that'll help is building up several characters. You can change between them freely during the build phase and play their strengths off of each other.

Javaman

I'm a level 6 or so Squire. I have those spiked walls, but the big dude breaks it down in 2-3 hits. I've played plenty of tower defense games and know what I'm doing pretty well I think, but this guy seems so out of place. He has literally 40-45 times more health than anything else I have ever fought, and my guy alone does MAYBE 80 DPS, and this guy has 22,000HP...
There's definitely some balance issues (HUGE issues in late game) but in this case I think you need some more levels or better gear. A ranged attacker can safely attack the ogre and draw him away from the wall. It's hard to figure out a good focus for stats in the beginning, but the hero def needs lots of points in building health and building attack. You might have an easier time if you switch to another attack focused class before activating the hoard.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Is it normal for Call to Arms to break the gift boxes you're carrying in this Christmas challenge? I thought I was just getting hit by stray arrows or something but it turns out almost everytime I use this a gift randomly self-destructs.

Javaman

Is it normal for Call to Arms to break the gift boxes you're carrying in this Christmas challenge? I thought I was just getting hit by stray arrows or something but it turns out almost everytime I use this a gift randomly self-destructs.
Sounds like a bug. For that map I've founf that there's just enough defensive units to build a monk slow and electric aura in front of each enemy spawn. There will still be electric resistant units sneaking through, but after each round is complete you'll be able to build stuff to stop them. I went with fireball towers. I'd wait until I knew where the packcage was going then leave a fireball tower there facing the enemy spawn. For the boss I threw a large assortment of apprentace towers up near santa, mostly lightening, flame and magic missle. Try to beat it on medium if you can since you'll get new outfits for the app and huntress along with a weapon (snowball launcher for app, not sure about the others)

InertiaXr

Questions:

Are the Steam achievements broken? I have none of them and I know my dude is at least level 16....aka over 10.

How does the mana that I receive at the beginning of each wave work? Is it interest ala Defense Grid?

Anyways I played this for a few hours earlier with a friend, way better in co-op than single player. Squire + Apprentice was a good combo for us.

Eternia

Questions:

Are the Steam achievements broken? I have none of them and I know my dude is at least level 16....aka over 10.

How does the mana that I receive at the beginning of each wave work? Is it interest ala Defense Grid?

Anyways I played this for a few hours earlier with a friend, way better in co-op than single player. Squire + Apprentice was a good combo for us.
Are you playing via TrendyNet? Don't think you get anything otherwise and you'll have to start fresh since you can't transfer your character over.

You get mana from either chests, other players or monsters that you kill. Use it as you see fit as there's no interest for hoarding it. You have a lot of options such as character specific skills, building towers, repairing towers, upgrading towers or banking it to spend on gear when you're back in the tavern.

InertiaXr

Are you playing via TrendyNet? Don't think you get anything otherwise and you'll have to start fresh since you can't transfer your character over.

You get mana from either chests, other players or monsters that you kill. Use it as you see fit as there's no interest for hoarding it. You have a lot of options such as character specific skills, building towers, repairing towers, upgrading towers or banking it to spend on gear when you're back in the tavern.

Oh no we were playing on the unranked thing since it wouldn't let me move my guy over...achievements are ranked play only? We are still only lvl15-16 so replaying the first few levels on TrendyNet for achievements isn't that big of a deal.

Edit: Well shit the 'pick your online' does indeed say 'Required for Steam Achievements' right under TrendyNet, just never saw it since it gets covered up if you mouse over TrendyNet so I picked Open play.

Eternia

Oh no we were playing on the unranked thing since it wouldn't let me move my guy over...achievements are ranked play only? We are still only lvl15-16 so replaying the first few levels on TrendyNet for achievements isn't that big of a deal.
Yeah, best to switch over now. It won't be too much of a setback and you'll probably get back to where you were a little quicker this time around.

Have to admit, this game is growing on me. Thank Steam Sale!

Just have to work out how the shops and items work now. Found crates with TF2 and Portal Items and not sure what I'm suppose to do with them.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yeah, ok. I surrender.

The game sucked big time when I first played it on the iPad over a year ago. But, on the PC, it's absolutely awesome. I'm having a blast playing this with my brother and a couple of randoms.

Every game should have persistence.

scy

Perhaps it's due to missing the buggy start but I picked this up during the sale and haven't managed to stop playing it (until my SSD died, anyway). The character swapping allows for easier grinding as well as fully soloable everything, which I'm loving the hell out of, and I just enjoy the whole endless grind towards better gear. I'm strange like that.

For the price I paid, this has more than pulled its weight. Now I just hope to get back to solo Insane Survival farming :(

Mr_eX

Have to admit, this game is growing on me. Thank Steam Sale!

Just have to work out how the shops and items work now. Found crates with TF2 and Portal Items and not sure what I'm suppose to do with them.

The TF2 characters are pets(you can't use them until you hit 25 which can be done in about a hour) and the Portal gun is a weapon(level 30) for the Elf

The TF2 characters are pets(you can't use them until you hit 25 which can be done in about a hour) and the Portal gun is a weapon(level 30) for the Elf

Ah, thanks for that! So can I sell these in my store or something - if I do do they disappear or do they restock?

Fitz

I picked up the costume packs during the Steam sale but couldn't find it in game. Help? Tried both creating a new character and editing my current one

On the menu where you can select your hero, before you confirm the selection press Edit Hero in the top left, then just under the hero's 3D image is a button that says change costume I believe. Bear in mind that most of the costumes have to be unlocked, and I think only the 4 original heroes (not the alternate gender versions) have alternate outfits.

Javaman

Ah, thanks for that! So can I sell these in my store or something - if I do do they disappear or do they restock?

Be very careful not to sell them since you can't get them back. Lock any items you don't want to sell and then use to "Sell all" command to mass sell loot you pick up. Any stuff that doesn't get picked up at the end of a round gets automatically sold and the mana split among the players so don't hoover up everything at the end of a round if you're playing with others. Mid round, especially on survival which has thousands of enemies it's ok to scoop everything up until the last 1000 enemies. The stuff despawns anyways. Better loot gets dropped on later levels and maps.

Be very careful not to sell them since you can't get them back. Lock any items you don't want to sell and then use to "Sell all" command to mass sell loot you pick up. Any stuff that doesn't get picked up at the end of a round gets automatically sold and the mana split among the players so don't hoover up everything at the end of a round if you're playing with others. Mid round, especially on survival which has thousands of enemies it's ok to scoop everything up until the last 1000 enemies. The stuff despawns anyways. Better loot gets dropped on later levels and maps.

The UI in this game really is the most asinine thing ever made.
A UI designer in 1992 would not have dared to show this to his boss, god knows why they thought it was okay to release it like that (and then never fix it).

After the DLC patch I really wouldn't recommend this game anymore, it's a completely different type of game than it was at release.

Anyone know why I can't buy a dragon for my character in my tavern even though I have enough money? Is there a level limit on them or something?

The UI in this game really is the most asinine thing ever made.
A UI designer in 1992 would not have dared to show this to his boss, god knows why they thought it was okay to release it like that (and then never fix it).

After the DLC patch I really wouldn't recommend this game anymore, it's a completely different type of game than it was at release.

That's pretty much what I think of the game now. All this mega loot bullshit has made it into a real boring game, with the dlc adding nothing but more mega loot into the mix.

Anyone know why I can't buy a dragon for my character in my tavern even though I have enough money? Is there a level limit on them or something?

Are you maxed out on items in your bank? Could be a level requirement but that should not stop you from buying it, just equipping it.

Atruvius

This game is amazing! I had never heard of this game until I miss clicked into this. I read few pages and decided to download the trial of the PSN. At wave 3 I got hooked and had to buy it. I had never even played any tower defenders before. So glad I bought it.

Reading some more of this thread I noticed how many updates the PC version has received and some free dlc. Anyone know if the PS3 version will get any updates and DLC?

Also, where can I change the appearance of my character and crystal?

Im_Special

BTW here's a tip for any of you who are planning to quit this game and uninstall it. REMOVE YOUR SHOP ITEMS FIRST, I sure wish I did, for those who don't know there auction system is clunky as hell, you're able to view other peoples shops through the browser but if you're interested in buying something you need to add them as a friend through Steam and once friended ask them to make a game for you to join to buy whatever you were interested in. Unfortunately for me I uninstalled the game with like 7 pages of random junk in my shop and I get a few requests every once in awhile from strangers now, even though I've moved on from this game, I might just have to reinstall it just to remove my items now, UGH.

Trendy really needs implement some form of purging of old shops that only get shown for x amount of days since last refresh/update.

Just got the game and I have 2 questions.

1. Playing on easy- what's the drawback? Worse loot? My friend and I were playing and getting crushed on normal.

2. My friend is playing as the monk and his alt fire is some kind of projectile. Is that good for anything? He says it doesn't do much damage.

scy

1. Playing on easy- what's the drawback? Worse loot? My friend and I were playing and getting crushed on normal.

Worse loot, worse EXP. Starting off is pretty rough, though, so don't feel too bad when shit just stomps on you at the start. Especially depending on your classes.

2. My friend is playing as the monk and his alt fire is some kind of projectile. Is that good for anything? He says it doesn't do much damage.

I actually haven't found a good use for their projectile, though my DPS Monk is only 72 and I have no plans to working on her for awhile.

Oh that sucks. Yeah the game is not very well balanced for small player counts it seems. Thanks for the info. The best strategy may be to grind on a harder difficulty for better loot/more XP, then turn the difficulty down to progress.

It's good for kiting an Ogre around an arena since they can kill you in just a few hits. It would take awhile given the monk's low damage but you can kite an enemy into an aura field or some other offensive tower's area of effect

scy

Oh that sucks. Yeah the game is not very well balanced for small player counts it seems. Thanks for the info. The best strategy may be to grind on a harder difficulty for better loot/more XP, then turn the difficulty down to progress.

Depends on your class. I did the game on Hard/Insane as a solo Apprentice without too much trouble. I'd actually say it's not very well balanced for higher player counts rather than lower ones, at least as far as starting out is concerned.

I think you get better loot playing the latest level you can on easy verses an earlier level on normal or higher, at least when you are first starting out. I'd say press through on easy until you hit a wall and then grind for XP and money and then back to pressing forward

Depends on your class. I did the game on Hard/Insane as a solo Apprentice without too much trouble. I'd actually say it's not very well balanced for higher player counts rather than lower ones, at least as far as starting out is concerned.
I'm the huntress and he's a monk, ordinarily we're both pretty good at most games and like I said we're getting our ass handed to us on normal. Maybe we should have gone with the squire and the apprentice.

I'm the huntress and he's a monk, ordinarily we're both pretty good at most games and like I said we're getting our ass handed to us on normal. Maybe we should have gone with the squire and the apprentice.

Neither of those classes has a wall which is big issue early on IMO. I'd say one of you needs to switch to a apprentice or squire or else you will need to grind a bunch

scy

I think you might get better loot playing the latest level you can on easy then an earlier level on normal or higher, at least when you are first starting out. I'd say press through on easy until you hit a wall and then grind for XP and money

I'd really just not worry about farming gear until you get to one of the easier levels to do on higher difficulties. Alchemical is pretty easy to do on Insane for a few waves (or the whole thing, sub-boss), for example. There's just certain maps that are easier to run through when you want to do the grinding.

The first map is pretty useful for that, actually, since you can do Insane on it pretty early on and use the loot there to carry you for most the campaign.

Yeah, I'd definitely go Apprentice + Monk. Pretty much the best duo combination for the game, really. Almost every map I've ever done in the game is typically Apprentice + Monk.

Thanks, I guess I could change to an apprentice.

So I take it if you fail a mission, you keep all the XP and items you've gotten right?

Thanks, I guess I could change to an apprentice.

So I take it if you fail a mission, you keep all the XP and items you've gotten right?

yes.

Bored playing solo so if anyone wants to run some missions (i need holiday insane for me costumes XD ) just add me...steam ID in profile

In case you guys haven't heard, I'm now the new community manager for Trendy Entertainment. I'll try to answer any questions you guys may have as well as I can.

I AM EXCITE.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
In case you guys haven't heard, I'm now the new community manager for Trendy Entertainment. I'll try to answer any questions you guys may have as well as I can.

I AM EXCITE.

Console patch? I'd really like to start playing the game again.

EDIT: Also, congrats on the promotion. You definitely deserve it.

I AM EXCITE.
I'll bite.

Do the gender swap heroes from the DLC count towards achievements such as "Saw all four Hero endings," "Raised a Hero of each type to Level 70" and any others?

If they don't, they should. :)

easy is where you kind of have to start off for a first timer. the difficulties are more of a level thing. if you're familiar with pso, its sort of the same thing.

roughly:

easy = levels 1-20
medium = levels 21-40
hard = levels 41-60
insane = 61-70
nightmare = 70+

of course, once you get a chara to a high enough level, generally you'll be power levelling any new character on hard or insane, so you no longer need to waste time on easy anymore.

but yes, harder difficulties have better xp and loot.

monks will either aim for melee or for ranged depending on which they prefer. they both can be good, but generally not at the same time. you have to decide which you want, and choose/upgrade your weapon accordingly. some weapons are better suited for melee and others for ranged. for ranged, you definitely want +4 multishoot. for melee, you want the biggest weapon possible as this affects range.

hampster pampster said:
I think you get better loot playing the latest level you can on easy verses an earlier level on normal or higher, at least when you are first starting out. I'd say press through on easy until you hit a wall and then grind for XP and money and then back to pressing forward
this is true. i'd farm hard glitterhelm for a while before touching any of the insane levels (unless just for fun factor)

neuromancer said:
at least one of you should be a tower build or hybrid build. later one you can make a 2nd chara that will be a hero build. ensare and electric auras + proximity and inferno traps should be able to kill everything. i wouldn't even waste mana/du on anything else.

also, i wouldn't waste mana on any of your abilities. they don't get good until the later levels, and generally they cost even more mana in the lower levels (which is kinda stupid imo since your mana pool is already small enough during low levels).

Javaman

That's a tough combo to play since neither class has a hard wall to stop enemies. The hero has a wall that damages enemies and the app has a slightly weaker one that removes the enemy's resistance if they attack the wall. I much prefer the latter, especially in late game. Enjoy the ride. The most fun I had with the game was the first hundred hours, progressing through and barely beating normal and hard levels. The challenges are a MUCH higher difficulty on average (regardless of the recommended level) and some require multiple people, most notably anything where you can't build defenses.

Javaman

Later maps, and later waves give better loot, especially in survival mode. If you turn on mixed mode or hardcore survival you'll get even better stuff. A good map to begin survival on is the first boss level. No ogres or gryphens spawn there and the 4 choke points are easy to defend. Never underestimate the usefulness of the monk's ensnare aura. It gives your towers much more time to kill enemies. Monk and huntress are pretty hard to start out with not only due to the lack of walls like i'd mentioned in the last post, but also since each "use" uses up some life. Remember, you can always swap out characters during the setup to get a variety of stuff going. Once everything is built, switch to a character that totally specializes. In fighting (and casting speed for repairs!) To get the best of both worlds. The only dissadvantage is that if the guy who built the def isn't there the def is nerfed by 30%.

despite auras having hp, they can definitely survive pretty well in easier levels without any maintenance or stats in tower hp. huntress traps on the other hand can be pretty high maintenance (repair or upgrade nearly every round) until you put a few points into hp.

Javaman

We're still working on the console patch. I'd really love to say more, but alas, I cannot at the moment.
What's up with the total lack of pc updates lately? For bettor or wores there were ones every couple of days, but it's going on towards a month or two. Are there any plans to smooth the chasm between insane and nightmare?

Top Bottom