• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

Herla

I never actually looked at the stats, to be honest...but I remember seeing the names for the skills appearing once in a while.

When I hovered my mouse over the buff, it was like +1 in four different stats (for the last buff in the tree, it's +2 and it stacks with the first buff). It and the other buffs once stacked definitely made a difference, but I somehow doubt the buffs will mean much in the late game since you can get similar stats from equipment.

The buffs are activated randomly when in combat.

InertiaXr

TheBez said:
Alright I will tally up entrants on this post

-Me
-Tomalexi
-Kitten Master
-Herla
-jayTOH
-Wallach

Rules:
-Every entrant designs a skill set
-Skill sets are then randomly distributed to the entrants
-Each entrant plays 3 games with the skill set and tallies up their score
-MAX 2 Weapon skills
-The winner is the one with the most points after 3 games!

More people should enter! 8 is serviceable, 16 or more is desirable! Feel free to suggest rules as well!

I'll participate, that makes 7.

Herla

If it's 3 games it has to be Going Rogue, unless we want this contest to go on for weeks.
Or we could do just one try as soon as the second floor is reached in Dwarven Moderation.

TheBez

Herla said:
If it's 3 games it has to be Going Rogue, unless we want this contest to go on for weeks.
Or we could do just one try as soon as the second floor is reached in Dwarven Moderation.
Is Rogue medium or hard. It's 4 am so my brain is a little fired >.>

Wallach

TheBez said:
Is Rogue medium or hard. It's 4 am so my brain is a little fired >.>

Going Rogue is the hard setting. The elf one is easy and the dwarf one is medium.

Just seems like with 3 games it should go quicker on Going Rogue for the most part.

TheBez

Wallach said:
Going Rogue is the hard setting. The elf one is easy and the dwarf one is medium.

Just seems like with 3 games it should go quicker on Going Rogue for the most part.
My experience with Dredmor is limited but on medium it shouldn't take more than a few days to complete 3 plays on medium right?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeah, I am also for medium. On hard different skill sets will be even more unfair.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Could it be that the Deadshot skill does not work for arrow attacks? Despite there being an ARROW on the skill picture?

Sucks mightily. Completely wrong skill for my archer then.

Wallach

Toma said:
Could it be that the Deadshot skill does not work for arrow attacks? Despite there being an ARROW on the skill picture?

Sucks mightily. Completely wrong skill for my archer then.

Do you not score Crippling Wounds or Bleeding Out on any arrow attacks? I've never tried it, but multiple skills grant those debuffs so it could be broken somehow.

Toma

Wallach said:
Do you not score Crippling Wounds or Bleeding Out on any arrow attacks? I've never tried it, but multiple skills grant those debuffs so it could be broken somehow.

Nope, I need to kick enemies to death without the unarmed skill to get these effects.

Wired

How much more difficult is the hardest difficulty compared to "medium" or whatever you want to call it? Feel like I made a mistake playing it on medium the first time, haven't even been close to dying and it doesn't feel difficult at all. Will play it through on this setting though as a practice round and then go for hard all the way later on.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wired said:
How much more difficult is the hardest difficulty compared to "medium" or whatever you want to call it? Feel like I made a mistake playing it on medium the first time, haven't even been close to dying and it doesnät feel difficult at all. Will play it through on this setting though as a practice round and then go for hard all the way later on.

Much, much more difficult.

Wallach

Wired said:
How much more difficult is the hardest difficulty compared to "medium" or whatever you want to call it? Feel like I made a mistake playing it on medium the first time, haven't even been close to dying and it doesnät feel difficult at all. Will play it through on this setting though as a practice round and then go for hard all the way later on.

Here's a section on one of the wikis with all the differences:

http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/Difficulty

I feel like it is most significant early game.

Wired said:
Ah, very good to hear. I mean in these types of games you are supposed to die left and right, it's part of the fun after all!
Well, in my experience so far, I usually find I'm doing extremely well (if I chose the right skills) and am usually mopping the floor with enemies... just until I make some horrible mistake and let myself or let myself get cornered by a boss. None of my highest scoring characters were having any trouble or struggling at all in the game when they died.

Two died from bosses encountered at the very end of monster zoos and one died because I accidentally infected myself with my own Swarm spell and couldn't heal fast enough >_<

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I can't believe I hadn't heard of this until today. After watching the quick look at Giant Bomb I had to pick this up and it's such a gem so far for £3.50. The music and sprite animations are worth the money alone and I'm having tons of fun punting monsters as a martial artist.

chixdiggit

Can not stop playing this game. I finally feel like I came up with a good build on my own without guides. The medium difficulty is finally really easy for me and it's been a blast just trying out different skills and combinations to see what works.

TheBez

TheBez said:
Alright I will tally up entrants on this post

-Me
-Tomalexi
-Kitten Master
-Herla
-jayTOH
-Wallach
-InertiaXR
-Berksy
-Volodja (maybe)
-Picklecannon
-Cerepol

Rules:
-MAX 2 Weapon skills

More people should enter! 8 is serviceable, 16 or more is desirable! Feel free to suggest rules as well!

I think the difficulty will be medium. This allows goofy builds to still work and is still challenging. If anyone wants to duck out due to the difficulty just let me know.

I will wait 8 more hours after this post for people to enter and then I will start the inaugural contest!

KuroNeeko

Let me get in on this!

I vote for Going Rogue since we're not really trying to clear the game, just see who can get the most points. :D

Sianos

Uncovered a monster zoo on floor two, wrecked almost the whole thing (one shotting almost everything) when I was ambushed by a quest monster who proceeded to destory me in two hits taking low damage.

I think from now on I'll say "nay" to quests.

ZZMitch

I was playing this for the first time a few days ago, and I was doing so well... until I accidentally attacked the merchant guy :(

Oh well, it was fun.

Got the skill set I plan on throwing at people ready for the contest. I expect it to be very similar to other people's though.

*waits anxiously*

Hah, finally got the Bloody Mess achievement and beat my first Monster Zoo. God damn, Fungal Arts is amazing - I basically was buffed to god status the whole time with all my fungi, or at least it felt like it. I got lucky to and unloaded the Zoo into a room with a teleporter and stood next to it the whole time - constantly making sure to clear it first when a monster stepped on it incase I needed to retreat... regardless I had a couple dozen Inkly Hoglanterns (invisibility) to escape with if needed.

Axes
Dual Wielding
Berserker Rage
Deadshot
Artful Dodger
Burglary
Fungal Arts

Burglary's Lockup is awesome, love how it lasts as long as the cooldown, kept the boss of the zoo stunned until the very end. I'm kind of wishing I took Assassination instead of Deadshot but I'm doing pretty good so far, getting really unlucky with drops though.

I wish I knew about the Dual-wielding bugs. My no-permadeath game is now extremely luck based against my favor instead of having the number of counter attacks that I should.

EDIT: I forgot I had second sight, which provides awesome buffs. I also am apparently on the last floor anyway.

EDIT: I did it! SPOILERS

Medium difficulty but considering the circumstances I am still pretty happy. At the same time the method which I used to kill him was pretty cheap.
That top level missile bolt took off half of his health.

I think Perception might be a fairly overlooked ability, especially since Second Sight bonuses are so good and each level provides +3 dodge. I think if Dual-wielding didn't have broken counter bonuses, stacking evasion + countering would probably be okay.

Wallach

I don't care exactly which difficulty it is, but the truth of the matter is that most any build is capable of beating GR+P.

The only other rules I'd suggest (and these should apply to DM difficulty too) are:

- Each skill set should have a minimum of 1 weapon skill OR Wand Lore.
- Crossbows and Throwing do not count towards the weapon skill minimum, but do count towards the maximum

Railer

Picked this game up today, never played a game like this before. I have to say I enjoy it quite a lot. Time just disappear when playing the game, apparently I've played over 5h just today.

Best I've done so far was on my third character with mace/dual wield/fire magic/blood mage and some other stuff i don't remember.

dredmore.png

All those damn potions are evil. Died 3 times out of my 4 death to drinking some weird ass potion i found :D

Wallach

If a potion has a funny sounding latin name, it's actually an alchemical base (which means it is a very strong acid). Feel free to sell them if you aren't an alchemist. Basically if it doesn't have the word "potion" in the name, don't put it in your face.

So it finally happened. It was a quest mob that I had actually killed but I got the glitch where it had one final attack and it got me.

i170N.png

Mages from here on out, at least until the next patch.

Wallach

That bug is really annoying. I'm assuming it is a bug anyway, it doesn't make any sense.

I don't think it's worth engaging in melee against named monsters, they just hit too damn hard.

Qwomo

Thank god for pets! I haven't taken a direct hit in a while thanks to my slime blobby and wyrmling. So engaging named monsters hasn't been a problem thus far.

Speaking of which, what's the deal with the maximum amount of pets you can summon? Very occasionally I'll end up rolling around with two wyrmlings/wyrmling and blobby/two blobbies, but usually when I try to summon a pet with another pet active the first pet will just disappear. But it seems that's not always the case?

I wish this game did better job at conveying its internal logic.

Wallach

Qwomo said:
Thank god for pets! I haven't taken a direct hit in a while thanks to my slime blobby and wyrmling. So engaging named monsters hasn't been a problem thus far.

Speaking of which, what's the deal with the maximum amount of pets you can summon? Very occasionally I'll end up rolling around with two wyrmlings/wyrmling and blobby/two blobbies, but usually when I try to summon a pet with another pet active the first pet will just disappear. But it seems that's not always the case?

I wish this game did better job at conveying its internal logic.

You shouldn't be able to have more than 1 pet out at a time. Anything else is just a bug, as far as I know.

Wallach said:
That bug is really annoying. I'm assuming it is a bug anyway, it doesn't make any sense.

I don't think it's worth engaging in melee against named monsters, they just hit too damn hard.

Yeah they really do and unfortunately all I had at the time was a holy hand grenade I was saving for dredmor. About the bug, I recall reading one of their blog posts where they actually acknowledged mosters hitting you after death and that it was actually a bug. Didn't get to kill dredmor, and until the patch its time for nothing but going rogue mages.

Qwomo said:

Having duplicates of pets is a known bug, and to recreate it you either have to:
1. Move your pet into a monster, so that they're on the same squares (happens occasionally) or;
2. Move far away from your pet (either teleporting or getting it stuck somehow) and then summoning a new one, afterwards you can look for your old one and it should still be there.

Railer

Wallach said:
If a potion has a funny sounding latin name, it's actually an alchemical base (which means it is a very strong acid). Feel free to sell them if you aren't an alchemist. Basically if it doesn't have the word "potion" in the name, don't put it in your face.

Aaaah, that would explain it :) Thanks for the advice !

Philthy

Raaaaaaargh. I was running an unarmed guy with most melee skills and vampirism. The first level was a PAIN but after that when I started raising skills the game went into easy mode. I was clearing out monster zoos on level 6 with not much effort. Funneling them kept me at full health. I was walking around the dungeon fist pumping my awesomeness and then I saw a boss guy coming at me. One hit took a sliver off his life. I should have known right then I was in over my head. I made some distance, and he nuked the crap out of me with tornado things and I went from 65HP to 0HP in a few turns.

Sorry, Bkeh, whose name was supposed to be Bleh.

Wallach said:

My current char is on level 4 of the dungeon, and I've meleed every named dude I've come across. I feel like my guy is pretty OP.

Vampirism
Swords (maxed, or one away)
Mastery of Arms (maxed)
Viking Magic (just first spell)
Math Magic (just first spell)

It seems that as long as I'm only fighting one monster at once, no matter how tough they are, my vampiric regen keeps my HP steady. I've had to use potions/mushrooms a few times. Teleport away with that Math Magic once or twice. Generally monsters are no threat.

Traps are the biggest danger to me, especially since I have no detection stat at all, and I can't regen without monsters.

Wallach

platypotamus said:
My current char is on level 4 of the dungeon, and I've meleed every named dude I've come across. I feel like my guy is pretty OP.

Vampirism
Swords (maxed, or one away)
Mastery of Arms (maxed)
Viking Magic (just first spell)
Math Magic (just first spell)

It seems that as long as I'm only fighting one monster at once, no matter how tough they are, my vampiric regen keeps my HP steady. I've had to use potions/mushrooms a few times. Teleport away with that Math Magic once or twice. Generally monsters are no threat.

Traps are the biggest danger to me, especially since I have no detection stat at all, and I can't regen without monsters.

Are you playing on Going Rogue? Things start to get serious as you get a bit deeper. Named Witchies, Magic Golems and Corrupto-blobbies (I don't remember what those are actually called) are really fucked up to have to engage in melee.

Also, if you are on floor 4 I suggest you try and get a bit more trap detection, even if you don't have the affinity to safely disable traps. That stat is also used to determine your level of stealth detection.

Railer

TheBez said:
Who wants to do a contest? Here are the rules I thought up.

Anyone interested in something like this?

I'm new to this genre and this game, but I'm so in.
I never played it , but i suggest we do it on the hardest difficult level.

Houston3000 said:
Axes
Dual Wielding
Berserker Rage
Deadshot
Artful Dodger
Burglary
Fungal Arts
Still doing really well with this guy, I ran into another Monster Zoo on the 3rd floor and absolutely decimated it. Granted I used a Squid Bolt right at the doorway but most of the kills were me and my slime meleeing the shit out of everyone. Between all the Inkly Hoglanterns, Knightly Leap, Ninja Vanish, etc... I'd have to really screw up to get myself killed.

Is there anyway to see the score before you're dead?

Top Bottom