• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

Sye d'Burns

Wallach said:
/flex

Looks like they have some cheaters up there too, unfortunately. They did say they were looking to clean that up in the future.

Hopefully they will be able to get something in place before it gets too much out of hand.

Philthy said:
Love the list of changes. It looks like they're taking some of the better ideas seen in other roguelikes and implementing them. Good to know when you open a monster zoo, you will have some uniques waiting for you. Much like vaults in Angband, etc.

Monsters opening doors. Oh god. Death_count++;

Oof, I am not looking forward to monsters opening doors. Speaking of doors, is there no way to craft lockpicks? There should be! I run through those way too fast. I know they're looking at making situations in which lockpicks are used optional (i.e. kick instead of pick) but there should still be a way to craft them.

Wallach

Sye d'Burns said:
Oof, I am not looking forward to monsters opening doors. Speaking of doors, is there no way to craft lockpicks? There should be! I run through those way too fast. I know they're looking at making situations in which lockpicks are used optional (i.e. kick instead of pick) but there should still be a way to craft them.

Not that I know of, though Burglary starts with a skill to create lockpicks on a short cooldown.

Edit - You know what was annoying about that run I just finished, I wasn't able to buy a single damn shop item the whole way. He had nothing but garbage stuff for mages and amazing warrior loot. I had a Rift Axe in my level 2 shop and the best thing I ever saw in there for my purposes was a Fruitful Staff on floor 9 (which by then I had like two unique Fruitful Staves from uberchests or quest rewards and some artifact level 10 staff). Fuck that guy.

Sye d'Burns

Wallach said:
Not that I know of, though Burglary starts with a skill to create lockpicks on a short cooldown.

Edit - You know what was annoying about that run I just finished, I wasn't able to buy a single damn shop item the whole way. He had nothing but garbage stuff for mages and amazing warrior loot. I had a Rift Axe in my level 2 shop and the best thing I ever saw in there for my purposes was a Fruitful Staff on floor 9 (which by then I had like two unique Fruitful Staves from uberchests or quest rewards and some artifact level 10 staff). Fuck that guy.

I've never seen much in the way of items for mages in the shops. I figured it was because I was always playing rogue / warrior types. Sounds like some shop item balancing may be needed.

Wallach

Sye d'Burns said:
I've never seen much in the way of items for mages in the shops. I figured it was because I was always playing rogue / warrior types. Sounds like some shop item balancing may be needed.

I've actually had pretty good luck before, that was the first run where I just couldn't find anything useful. On the one mage I had that died to an accidental Brax incident on floor 4 or 5 or so, I'd already bought an Orb of Nothing and an Armored Archmage Robe (which are like 9 and 10 star items).

During the first weekend I had one run where a badass shop was rigHt in front of thr first spawn.
Had an amazing staff that I decided to grind for. Then when I got the money and climbed the stairs.....CRASH!

Oh wells. Lol

Sye d'Burns

Wallach said:
I've actually had pretty good luck before, that was the first run where I just couldn't find anything useful. On the one mage I had that died to an accidental Brax incident on floor 4 or 5 or so, I'd already bought an Orb of Nothing and an Armored Archmage Robe (which are like 9 and 10 star items).

I stand corrected. In this case it was probably just 'Going Rogue' putting the screws to you.

Wallach

Sye d'Burns said:
I stand corrected. In this case it was probably just 'Going Rogue' putting the screws to you.

Yeah, not enough lutefisk for the lutefisk god, I guess.

Luckily around floor 7 I had a good streak of RNG from uberchests and a lutefisk shrine and got an artifact orb of nothing and an artifact armored mage robe (the one just below armored archmage). I also got a bunch of artifact staves from that point on.

Strangely enough the game doesn't delete your permadeath file when you win. I figured it would. Unfortunately that save is from before the patch (I think I had it saved around floor 4 before the patch broke saves) and I didn't get some of the achievements like some max rank skills.

Philthy

Wired has a little blurb on indie RPGs "7 Fantastical Indie RPGs Worth Playing" and Dredmor got mentioned!

Dungeons of Dredmor
This roguelike dungeon crawler is filled to the brim with vast maps to explore and random loot to collect. It's also irreverent, poking fun at enemies and objects through myriad humorous names and descriptions. Dungeons of Dredmor, which is $5 on Steam, allows your character to use a number of skills, from Assassination to Flesh Smithing. ("Other men work in clay, steel or wood," the game says. "We call them squeamish.")

For a good time, be sure to pray to Inconsequentia, the Goddess of Pointless Sidequests.

Image courtesy Gaslamp Games

Other games mentioned were Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Exit Fate, Cthulhu Saves the World, Recettear, Dink Smallwood, and Battle for Wesnoth.

Berksy

Wallach said:
FUCK YEAH.

Lord Dreadmor down on Going Rogue w/ Permadeath.

I even killed two full Monster Zoos on floor 10 before finding him.

GOD DAMN I NEED A CIG.

What? You sir, are my hero for today.
So there are only 10 levels?
Also i maxed my Smithy skill but i got the max Tinkerer achievement.

Wallach

Berksy said:
What? You sir, are my hero for today.
So there are only 10 levels?
Also i maxed my Smithy skill but i got the max Tinkerer achievement.

Yeah, ten floors. I kinda wish I had been able to explore more of floor 10 before Dredmor found me, as I would have easily hit the top spot of the legit scores. Thing is, my save file wasn't deleted so I guess I could try it again, but that seems like a bug. I am checking with one of the developers before I do anything more with that save.

The achievement thing is a confirmed bug, they know about it.

Volodja

Aaaargh!
I hate my inability to stay focused. Biting the dust at the fourth level because I didn't pay enough attention to the damage a spell mine was dealing me each turn is frustrating, especially when no monster seemed to have any chance of touching me anymore.
Dual wielding with two different weapons skills and berserk makes for pretty nice characters, especially if you end up finding a good crossbow along the way and if you keep a good assortment of wands. Obviously inventory management becomes quite bothersome this way.

Witchys and Monstrous Masks are too nasty, and should spam the revival spell less.
Kleptoblobbies should steal less.
Corruption should affect armour as well as weapons.
Heavy Armours get piercing resistance.

Changes that I approve infinity percent (all the changes are good but these ones stand out from my current play through). I'm actually terrified of floor 10 at the moment because, while its not that hard, even though I have 30 armor absorption, I still get hit for 20's by arch diggles, which if I get countered and hit by a critical hit on the same turn will probably result in my death (Haven't played at all today since reaching floor 10 early yesterday morning).

Dual wielding needs to be fixed, in particular the negative counter bug.

Does anybody know what bug this is? I've always been of the opinion that counters are to powerful in this game but I'm not exactly sure if it was due to dual wielding. 100% damage reduction + 2 free attacks can result in death (as explained in my floor 10 scenario) with no real way to counter act it.

Berksy

Volodja said:
Aaaargh!
I hate my inability to stay focused.

This. I usually save and exit when i fully clear a level. I died so many times just because i wanted to play 15 minutes before going out with friends. Or waiting a call. Or just eating and using only mouse to play lol.

Also i don't like the way they will fix the game (except bugs). Users want it to be more easy and this is a ROGUELIKE! It is like ten times "Nerf that monster" for every "Nerf that spell".

mrgone

Wallach said:
FUCK YEAH.

Lord Dreadmor down on Going Rogue w/ Permadeath.

I even killed two full Monster Zoos on floor 10 before finding him.

GOD DAMN I NEED A CIG.
Damn, dude! Aspire to inspire before you retire or expire, indeed :)

Wired

Only been playing it for a few hours, taking it real slow and careful but I really love it so far. Damn glad I bought it, kind of weird though nowadays I spent way more time on indie games and stuff like that rather than "proper" games, hell just last week or so I've sunk over 100 hours in Terraria. But hey I'm not complaining.

EDIT: DAAAAMN one of those Zoo's... I'm terrified here

EDIT2: Ok haven't played the game long enough to come with any sort of informed critique but there's one thing that needs fixing. You can't see shit at the bottom of the screen thanks to the stupid UI.

Does anyone else think that Vampires should be able to eat guts and entrails that are hugely bloody? I can understand not eating any other food but these particularly disgusting ones that heal for very little I would think a vampire could eat.

Wired

KittenMaster said:
Does anyone else think that Vampires should be able to eat guts and entrails that are hugely bloody? I can understand not eating any other food but these particularly disgusting ones that heal for very little I would think a vampire could eat.

Sounds like a good idea really, if you want to be technical maybe he just licks them clean or something.

edit: Was rather lucky on the first floor, used one of those anvils and my staff became able to randomly knock stuff away from me. Seems to trigger a lot and really helps with crowd control

I think I am finally clicking with this game. After a few (and when I say few....i mean 10) freshly made characters dying right away I finally 'get' it. Last night I made a hand combat/mage and having a good time playing. I finished the first floor (i searched every spot), and now im on the second. This game is highly addicting, and not recommended for people that are going to Summer school (me). :(

OMG GET IT ANYWAYS!

Wallach

Wired said:
Only been playing it for a few hours, taking it real slow and careful but I really love it so far. Damn glad I bought it, kind of weird though nowadays I spent way more time on indie games and stuff like that rather than "proper" games, hell just last week or so I've sunk over 100 hours in Terraria. But hey I'm not complaining.

EDIT: DAAAAMN one of those Zoo's... I'm terrified here

EDIT2: Ok haven't played the game long enough to come with any sort of informed critique but there's one thing that needs fixing. You can't see shit at the bottom of the screen thanks to the stupid UI.

Yeah, I haven't played much in the way of big name titles this year. Just poked around a bit with Witcher 2, but I'm not that into it. This is easily the best game I've played in 2011, and the developers are really working on making improvements (check their website for the laundry list of stuff they're working on). Over at SA we've got a big spreadsheet for them to help with getting bugs identified and even giving them some ideas for new skills and achievements and stuff; I'm kinda hoping one of the monster taunts I suggested gets tossed in. I love seeing "i hate you so much" after nuking some Diggle in the face.

Wired

What I really like with indie titles such as this one or Terraria & Minecraft is how the developers listens and add an insane amount of stuff over time. It's just damn exciting to follow the progress and the game keeps being fresh for so long.

TP17

Been having fun with this after buying it earlier today, although my highest score was with my first character of the 5 attempts at just over 6k. I've been playing as a dual-wielding weapon user, think my problem is I don't pay attention to my health bar during battles and mindlessly attack away.

Bought this game late last night after watching the Giant Bomb Quicklook... really fun game.

My first character, "Darakas" was a mace/shield wielding smith with some of the heavy defensive talents. He didn't get too far, eventually got stuck in a corner with a Batty and a trap with no potions. I think I descended too quickly with him. "Darakas Jr." was a mess, I made him a rogue like character and the FIRST door I opened there was literally 10 Battys, I should of retreated to the doorway early so I could funnel them one by one but I got trapped and died literally 5 minutes into the game, haha. My 3rd character, "Darakas III" is an absolute power house - he's the same rogue-like build (Swords, Dual-Wielding, Assassination, Perception, Astrology, plus a couple others I forgot). Currently relatively high level and able ot one-shot almost every monster!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Does anyone still bother thinking of different Names? All my characters are called Toma. I just see it as different parallel universes for the same character :p

TheBez

Who wants to do a contest? Here are the rules I thought up.
-Every entrant designs a skill set
-Skill sets are then randomly distributed to the entrants
-Each entrant plays 3 games with the skill set and tallies up their score
-The winner is the one with the most points after 3 games!

Anyone interested in something like this?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
TheBez said:

Sure. I am in. I'd be for the same random skill set for everyone though, way more comparable.

Houston3000 said:
Bought this game late last night after watching the Giant Bomb Quicklook... really fun game.

My first character, "Darakas" was a mace/shield wielding smith with some of the heavy defensive talents. He didn't get too far, eventually got stuck in a corner with a Batty and a trap with no potions. I think I descended too quickly with him. "Darakas Jr." was a mess, I made him a rogue like character and the FIRST door I opened there was literally 10 Battys, I should of retreated to the doorway early so I could funnel them one by one but I got trapped and died literally 5 minutes into the game, haha. My 3rd character, "Darakas III" is an absolute power house - he's the same rogue-like build (Swords, Dual-Wielding, Assassination, Perception, Astrology, plus a couple others I forgot). Currently relatively high level and able ot one-shot almost every monster!
Oh man... fucking monster Zoo

S1x5mm.jpg

Bastard dealed 4 melee damage, 6 Entropic Damage, and 2 Fire damage per hit

After trying a couple mage characters extremely unsuccessfully I think I finally figured out a good one that works:

Psionics
Golemancy
Ley Walking
Magic Training
Blood Magic
Staves
Alchemy

I have TONS of mana and regen extremely fast. Then I just summon my Blades on the floor and, using Narcosomatic Induction and Psychokinetic Shove, I'm able to funnel/position the monsters to walk right through them. If I'm fighting a tough enemy putting them to sleep and summoning healing crystals is really nice to. If everything goes terribly and resists I can hold my own with a staff and chug down the health potions I craft. It's basically a really fun kiting puzzle game.

Invite Thaumite Swarm is amazing on early floors. During monster zoos I can get a ton of mileage just casting it once and letting it spread everywhere.

EDIT: It's also fun to use Ragnar's Hammer to knock an enemy right into the infection it just escaped from.

That'd be pretty awesome.

Houston3000 said:
After trying a couple mage characters extremely unsuccessfully I think I finally figured out a good one that works:

Psionics
Golemancy
Ley Walking
Blood Magic
Magic Training
Staves
Alchemy

I have TONS of mana and regen extremely fast. Then I just summon my Blades on the floor and, using Narcosomatic Induction and Psychokinetic Shove, I'm able to funnel/position the monsters to walk right through them. If I'm fighting a tough enemy putting them to sleep and summoning healing crystals is really nice to. If everything goes terribly and resists I can hold my own with a staff and chug down the health potions I craft. It's basically a really fun kiting puzzle game.

Killed again by the boss of a monster zoo... disappointing, I had 12 monsters left. I didn't realize Djinns could cross water and I got cornered after absolutely wrecking monsters left and right for 20 minutes. Damn thing hit for 20 damage a hit - and all that stuff is immune to sleep and push back :(. Just barely beat my last score though!

(click for bigger)

Wallach

Consider removing Ley Walker for Blood Mage, unless you take it for thematic purposes. Ley Walker is really a terrible skill.

What's your seventh skill, anyway? You only list six.

Wallach said:
Consider removing Ley Walker for Blood Mage, unless you take it for thematic purposes. Ley Walker is really a terrible skill.

What's your seventh skill, anyway? You only list six.
Ah, sorry... haha, it's actually Blood Magic.

I didn't invest any additional points in it though, maybe that was the problem. Ley seemed to increase my regen quite significantly - though, to be honest, I'm not sure how deep the game goes. I usually end up at the end of level 2 before I find a Zoo and get killed, it's such a big floor to explore. Maybe Ley looses significance later on or are points invested deep in the Blood Mage tree really good?

Thinking I might forego alchemy, just not have any crafting skills - the health potions were a huge help but maybe something else and I won't need to rely on having so many.

Wallach

Houston3000 said:
Ah, sorry... haha, it's actually Blood Magic.

I didn't invest any additional points in it though, maybe that was the problem. Ley seemed to increase my regen quite significantly - though, to be honest, I'm not sure how deep the game goes. I usually end up at the end of level 2 before I find a Zoo and get killed, it's such a big floor to explore. Maybe Ley looses significance later on or are points invested deep in the Blood Mage tree really good?

Thinking I might forego alchemy, just not have any crafting skills - the health potions were a huge help but maybe something else and I won't need to rely on having so many.

It really doesn't do much - here's how mana regen works:

Depending on the difficulty level, there's a set amount of turns before you regenerate 1 point of mana (5, 7, or 9 turns). Each point of mana regeneration lowers this by 1 turn, and you cannot passively regenerate more than 1 point of mana per turn. You also get a total of +13 mana points for maxing out Ley Walker. All told that's a pretty bad return for your 3 skill points (including the starter one), especially when it's possible to get mana regeneration on gear and your Blood Mage buff.

Both Alchemy and Fungal Arts provide far more mana returns on top of all the other benefits.

Herla

TheBez said:

Heh, like I needed any more reasons to keep playing this game ... I'm in!

jayTOH

TheBez said:

I'd play! Gotta have a rule that limits the skill set to one or two weapons, though, because I can see a lot of people choosing only weapons to screw everyone else up.

Wallach

TheBez said:

I forgot to mention I am absolutely down for this.

I'd play! Gotta have a rule that limits the skill set to one or two weapons, though, because I can see a lot of people choosing only weapons to screw everyone else up.
Yeah, I can see troll setups being an issue, but I would hope most people are interested in seeing how their setups fare in the hands of good players.

TheBez

Alright I will tally up entrants on this post

-Me
-Tomalexi
-Kitten Master
-Herla
-jayTOH
-Wallach

Rules:
-MAX 2 Weapon skills

More people should enter! 8 is serviceable, 16 or more is desirable! Feel free to suggest rules as well!

Wallach

TheBez said:
Alright I will tally up entrants on this post

-Me
-Tomalexi
-Kitten Master
-Herla
-jayTOH
-Wallach

Rules:
-MAX 2 Weapon skills

More people should enter! 8 is serviceable, 16 or more is desirable! Feel free to suggest rules as well!

Here are a couple I would suggest to make things reasonably balanced:

- Maximum of 3 spell schools (does not include passive skills)
- Maximum of 2 crafting abilities (includes Fungal Arts)

Danielsan

I wish I hadn't bought this game. I bought it on friday after watching the Giant Bomb quicklook. I played nearly 12 hours of it in the last 2 days. It's so damn addictive.
My current character has a score of 86.000 or so, but I'm running out of food so it's damn hard to survive, especially considering I opened up a monster zoo on the fourth floor.

TheBez

Wallach said:
Here are a couple I would suggest to make things reasonably balanced:

- Maximum of 3 spell schools (does not include passive skills)
- Maximum of 2 crafting abilities (includes Fungal Arts)
I'll load up the game tomorrow and take a look but those seem like good rules so far.

Wallach

KittenMaster said:
Does dual-wielding count as a weapon skill?

I don't think so. It's more of an analogue to skills like Mage Training (though Dual Wield is currently quite broken and makes your character worse beyond rank 1).

Herla

Wallach said:
I don't think so. It's more of an analogue to skills like Mage Training (though Dual Wield is currently quite broken and makes your character worse beyond rank 1).

I thought only the final upgrade was bugged ?
That might explain why I can't beat the 4th floor....

Wallach

Herla said:
I thought only the final upgrade was bugged ?
That might explain why I can't beat the 4th floor....

From what I was told, the stuff above rank 1 either didn't actually work, or in the case of rank 4 reduced your stats by the listed amount instead of increased them.

Do you ever see the proc work, and does it actually increase your stats? Maybe it's just ranks 3/4.

DY1hJ.png

This was from random choice:
- Maces
- Throwing Weapons
- Berserker
- Artful Dodger
- Deadshot
- Golemancy
- Archeology

I didn't put many points into Archeology and Deadshot. Golemancy was great for the swarm spell, but I wasn't able to get an awesome mace and throwing weapons were very hard to come by. I was disappointed in the bonuses from Berserker. Since I had to rely on magic, I used armor that emphasized dodging.

I'm thinking Throwing Weapons are just one of those things that you're better off not specializing in and still benefit from.

EDIT: This was on Dwarven Moderation difficulty.

Top Bottom