• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

Here's the build I got:

Swords
Archery
Dual Wielding
Artful Dodger
Vampirism
Smithing
Tinkering

It looks like a really solid build. Time to take it for a ride!

EDIT 1:
AVWQh.png

I couldn't resist the allure of an evil box that was in the second room. I kept telling myself "What if that box contains the best sword you'll find for the rest of the game!"

EDIT 2: Just had my second death at 380 points. I lost about 10 hp trying to open a door and with vampirism I couldn't really do much about it. =P

KuroNeeko

A lot of overlap with the builds it seems. Makes me wish I'd thrown my unarmed combat / thief build out there for you to play with. :(

Wallach

Well, I'm just wrapping up the first floor on my first shot at this build.

Surprised to see so many melee/warrior builds, for some reason. You guys should play more mages, they are quite a lot easier. :p

I went straight up to Smithing 5 with my levels on floor 1. Also... I found three pieces of chalk. Boom. I have like 8 steel right now I need to craft, an artifact axe and mace, and sweet armor already. Smithing seems quite powerful.

Oh, and there is some ridiculous weapons in my level 1 shops. Look at this business:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Wallach/screenshot/541774443067285407

Uh huh. The one on the left is still awesome too, and I might come back up to buy that one (~8,000 zorkmids or so) if I don't find anything useful on floor 2. Not sure I need it though with how fast I'm getting stuff from Smithing.

My big worry is the zoo on floor 2 right now. I have dick all for AoE and I'm not sure I have enough food/healing to sit and grind it out in a choke yet.

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member
Well, my set-up should be interesting; pretty much entirely skills I've never worked with! :p

Maces
Vampirism
Shield Bearer
Mathemagics
Necronomiconomics
Ley Walker
Alchemy

Let's hope I can actually learn these skills quickly.

Volodja

KuroNeeko said:
That was my build. I wasn't sure how it would work out since I haven't been playing the game that long. The Swords and Dual Wield were the main damage dealers with Viking Wizardry for support buffs. I usually run with Astrology but the idea of Dual Wielding + hit-based procs was enticing.

Defense is light so I went with Artful Dodger and Master of Arms with the hope that if you did get hit - the damage reduction would kick in.

Perception is in there to detect / disarm traps for easy experience and Fungal Arts was for the various buffs and healing shrooms. I also wanted something that was non-mana based since VM is somewhat mana-intensive.

Hope you have some good games with it!
Good luck!
Yeah, I imagined those to be the reasons and that's pretty much how I envisioned it working out, it's just that I'm not used to it, especially because of dodge that I never use, much less in combination with Armor Mastery.

TP17

I don't like to brag but:

Fortunately my second run is going much better =)

First time on going rogue, I have been playing on the dwarf level up to this point.

Ooccoo

I just purchased this game and it's really great. I was killed during my first run after eating the ear of a demon or something, and my character wouldn't stop spawning everywhere on the map and shooting AOE spells that ultimately killed me. My second try was really quick : I opened an evil chest, and the monster inside quickly killed me. Now on my third run things are going really nice for me.

I think I'm one of the few people who's running a rogue though. It's great to see all the traps and disarm them easily - saves me a lot of health. And being able to crit and stun monsters is very valuable. So far so good, I'm only on floor 2 though (level 6) and met the effin' zoo but closed all doors near it and found another way around the map.

It's addicting though I didn't notice a way to sell all my numerous items yet. Also, first post.

Wallach

Working on floor 3 right now. Not sure yet how best to deal with AIs and their ilk, as they do a lot of piercing damage which (until next patch) isn't handled by armor at all. Otherwise things are going swell; I've got a 15 damage axe in one hand, a 10 damage mace in the other (which I can turn into a Magma Mace as soon as I find a ruby), full plate mail, and winged aluminum boots. Fairly well stocked on consumables as well. I can definitely see myself still running into trouble if I don't get to rank 4 maces soon (I'm either one or two levels away still), but things are snowballing nicely. Provided I don't hit floor 3's monster zoo before then I think I can get pretty far on my first run.

Just had my third death for the contest:
jzFNH.png

Found a monster zoo and it was going fine and even killed a couple of named monsters, but then a named octo showed up and I was just testing the waters to see what he would hit me for. Ended up hitting me for 20 and finishing me off with magic as I desperately tried to run back to some stairs. That brings my total to 16472 points for the contest.

TP17

My entry:

Had the following skills
- Maces
- Dual Wielding
- Throwing
- Berserker rage
- Viking Wizardry
- Mathemagic
- Smithing
1st Attempt - 20
Ran into a lot of enemies behind the first door, panicked and randomly teleported around the room until I died haha.

2nd Attempt - 5588
Was going along nicely with good equipment but then I met an gargoyle acid arrow trap, trapping me in after I went over it, typically I forgot I could teleport this time =/

3rd Attempt - 3044
Out of food and low on health you'd think I'd have been careful, sadly not as I walked over a dwarfen trap that was visible to me, it should have said killed by player on the gravestone instead.

Total = 8652

Only skill I hadn't used before was smithing and I really liked it, definitely will again. Also going to just carry on playing on going rogue now too, can't drop down =P

Volodja

Wait, we have to add the points of the various runs?
I thought it was whoever has the single highest scoring run wins.
Oh god, my 108 points on the first one are gonna hurt then.

The second run is near the end of the second level and it's going fairly well.
I'm going very slowly because I don't want to kill myself like I always do and because I want to use my spores as often as possible and sometimes this requires me to wait in front of a corpse for the cooldown on the spores to finish.
Fungal arts is nonsense. I have stacks of nearly 40 shrooms of every type but the mana ones that I don't need and every stack is at least worth 1000 gold. With the ability to spawn multiple spores with higher ranks of the trees it makes the economy for the character easy to manage, without selling wands or valuable bolts. Having 35 invisibility shrooms makes me feel a bit safer, same goes for the healing ones.
Obviously to counteract this most of my loot has been quite mediocre thus far, but there are 3 or 4 10000 gold items in the level one shops that I want to take sooner or later, depending if I feel safe selling a chunk of my shroom stockpile or not.
This is also my first run with swords. The aoe skill is not that great because if I have my enemies in a line I have solved a lot of my problem, on the other hand the axes one is a good way of breaking a surround and the maces one has knock back which is very nice, on the same noite dwarven handshake is much better than the other 2 skills level 2 skills as far as I'm concerned. Thankfully the tree makes up for it with a pretty high number of counters, too bad Dual Wielding is bugged.
Armor mastery is doing its job even with the poor armor I have found up till now. Suit up is kind of boring too keep up, in particular now that I don't really have much endangering me but the later buffs seem worth it.
On the other hand evasion and viking magic have been completely ignored. Being a melee character I have to be face to face with my enemies so I need good armor to reduce the damage, and good armor usually cuts both magic power and evasion. I have a MP of 4 and I don't see it rising anytime soon and evasion is close to that level.
Perception for now is part of this overlooked trio too, but I might put some points into it in later levels for the trap sight if I keep on not finding anything decent to replace it.

I got:

Swords
Dual Wielding
Berserker Rage
Master of Arms
Promethean Magic
Magic Training
Smithing

I'm gonna start my runs right away.

EDIT: I don't think anybody got the setup I sent in. :(

EDIT 1: First run ended with running into some traps. I'm used to Perception letting me avoid such stupidity.

EDIT 2: I thought I had cleared out a large room when I ran into a couple of Diggles that had come out into the open. -_-

Wallach

I'm on floor 5 now, but I don't see myself getting much further. This build isn't really viable to go that much deeper unless I start getting luckier with vending machines. Each monster zoo is worse than the last, and it mostly just comes down to losing the battle of attrition if you don't have enough high powered bolts to get through a zoo. I don't, currently. Were this in the upcoming patch I think it would be a lot more viable, but as it stands pierce damage pretty much ruins the potential of a pure-melee build working that well. Not really looking forward to run 2/3 with this build, really.

Lost any sort of motivation after how poorly game 2 went and after seeing how far Wallach had gotten.

pK32t.png

I didn't really enjoy the build I was playing, but it was a good build. If I were to improve it I'd replace Berserker with Perception, because being able to see traps before tripping over them is nice and the stat bonuses are great, especially the ones from the buff at the end of the skill tree.

My next game is gonna be the build I sent, because I was hoping to see how it would turn out for someone else but nobody got it.

jayTOH

@KittenMaster I think I got your skill set but I won't have time to play until later today or tomorrow. Looks very promising, though!

KuroNeeko

Just a suggestion for the next event if we do one -

When coming up with the skill set, I tried to go out of my way to make sure that the player on the receiving end wouldn't be boned. As a result, I picked some skills that I don't have any experience with simply because I thought they'd give enough survivability so the poor dood who got my build wouldn't hate me.

As a result(?) it seems like we have a lot of similar builds out there so I'd like to propose that for the next event we put out either A) the builds that we think are the best or B) the builds that we enjoy the most.

That way you're putting something out there that you probably have a crap load of experience with and we can see a bunch of new playstyles.

For example, my favorite build right now (though not really my "best") is a rogue / mage build with Astrology, Necromancy, Unarmed, Perception, Fungal Arts, + α. It's not even close to the build I submitted but I think it's a lot more interesting to play.

Later on, if we stick with the sort of competition we can come up with new categories like "pick your opponent's build" where you'll either submit something decent (in case you draft it yourself) or utter crap (to try and sabotage everyone else.)

Just some ideas.

InertiaXr

Vampirism seems utterly worthless on going rogue difficulty. Maybe it's better later on when you are able to do some decent damage, but trying to get past over 4 rooms on level 1 with it is just impossible. Taking away food means you can't heal at all, and things hit you for more than you can do so early on.

I think we should just start a game of the week or something. Winner of this contest posts a build, everyone plays with the same build, highest score wins and can post the next build.

TheBez

platypotamus said:
I think we should just start a game of the week or something. Winner of this contest posts a build, everyone plays with the same build, highest score wins and can post the next build.
That sounds pretty good. It gives us a nice concurring thing to do each week.

KuroNeeko

platypotamus said:

TheBez said:
That sounds pretty good. It gives us a nice concurring thing to do each week.

So winner of this contest will choose next week's build? :D

jayTOH

Welp, that took all of 15 minutes!

My build was:
Unarmed
Shield Bearer
Artful Dodger
Vampirism
Fleshsmithing
Burglary
Tinkering

DrinkingWater1 the Adventurer was killed by a Diggle on Level 1 - 60 points
DrinkingWater2 the Blood-drinker was killed from a buff wearing off on Level 1 - 796 (woo!)
DrinkingWater3 the Adventurer was killed from a buff wearing off on Level 1 - 248

for a grand total of 1104! I'm pleasantly surprised that I surpassed my prediction of less than 500 points. It was pretty tough with dealing low damage and lack of accessible healing. I managed to lockpick my way to a level-up on my second runthrough and immediately got the corpse feasting skill, but it was difficult killing things x_x Hoping I fare a bit better in the next challenge.

KuroNeeko

jayTOH said:

My build was:
Unarmed
Shield Bearer
Artful Dodger
Vampirism
Fleshsmithing
Burglary
Tinkering

How did Vampirism and Fleshsmithing work out for you? I tinkered around with it a little bit, but found that Vampires couldn't take advantage of the increased regeneration rates that the tier one skill offers. Seems like the heal spell would be useful (rank 3 or 4?) but staying alive long enough to get it would be hard...

My build was:
Unarmed
Shield Bearer
Artful Dodger
Vampirism
Fleshsmithing
Burglary
Tinkering
Yeah, this wasn't my build at all.

Who ended up with my build, if anyone at all?
It was:
Vampirism
Dual-wielding
Staves
Axes
Golemancy
Psionics
Assassin

jayTOH

KuroNeeko said:
How did Vampirism and Fleshsmithing work out for you? I tinkered around with it a little bit, but found that Vampires couldn't take advantage of the increased regeneration rates that the tier one skill offers. Seems like the heal spell would be useful (rank 3 or 4?) but staying alive long enough to get it would be hard...

From a Going Rogue noob's perspective, I found that Vampirism in general is tough to start out with if you're doing face-to-face combat. With Fleshsmithing's first tier skill, it makes it slightly more bearable, but I think you'd have to choose your battles extremely wisely, or just get plain lucky. I died twice to having my meatshield wear off, and that was after making sure I was only doing one-on-one battles (Burglary helped so much with this since I never had to kick down doors and was able to close them if there were too many Diggles/bats to deal with). It's hard to depend on Vampirism when you only get one health per hit when you start out, unless you start with skills or gear that up your Magic Power to four already. Again, this is from someone whose played only on DM up until now. I probably, and most likely, could've played the Vamp+Flesh build better, but I didn't know how =/

Wallach

I pretty much decided to just plow forward and die so I can get on with my other two attempts. Would have taken too much grinding and wandering for food vendors to continue much further properly.

pf9pc.jpg

I don't see myself getting beyond floor 5 with this build unless I have amazing luck as far as bolts.

jayTOH

LOL, just for shits and giggles, I'm playing on GR+P with Swords, Axes, Maces, Staves, Unarmed Combat, Thrown Weapons, and Archery, and I've already beat my overall total for the challenge.

I just tried my own build on GR+P. It was actually working out very well on the first floor for a Vampirism set. Crystal Healing is perfect for a vampire, I think, because you can get back to full HP easily especially after you ended up triggering some traps. Sword/Axe/Mace + Staves seem like a great combination too to build up magic while still having damage. Assassin and Staff effect attack stack.

The only reason my playthrough ended was because I got way too lazy and ended up fighting a Quest monster 1 on 1.

I wonder what others think. They would have to learn to use very non-direct spells (your spinning blade is the damage spell in this setup), but I think it has a great start at least. I don't know about late game.

Berksy

jayTOH said:

My build was:
Unarmed
Shield Bearer
Artful Dodger
Vampirism
Fleshsmithing
Burglary
Tinkering

That is the build i sent :( I knew it would be tricky.

Haven't tried but my main strategy would be equipping 2 mage shields and pumping up unarmed with vampirism. And burglary-tinkering combo to lock-pick and then close gates, putting down traps etc. Still, a hard opening awaits, i guess.

Man. I'm so disappointed that my build didn't fall into anyone's hands. it's turning out to be amazing, at least as far as the contest is concerned (I don't know if it can win the game yet, but I have 37,896 points with it so far).

I'm running vampire and haven't even needed to get corpse eating yet.

Berksy

My Contest Build:
Swords
Dual Wielding
Berserker Rage
Vampirism
Perception
Smithing
Viking Wizardry

I. Run: 12788
II. Run: 316
III. Run: 5748
TOTAL: 18852

Playing with this build, i learnt how to use vampirism correctly. Third run was going smooth until i decided to pull off a lutefisk cube explosion for the achievement... just near Brax :lol

The winner decides the next week's build thing is going to be great and really good for our skills.

Wallach said:
I pretty much decided to just plow forward and die so I can get on with my other two attempts. Would have taken too much grinding and wandering for food vendors to continue much further properly.
I don't see myself getting beyond floor 5 with this build unless I have amazing luck as far as bolts.

From what I remember floor 5 was much worse than floor 6, so I'd suggest trying to go down to 6 and seeing if it's any easier for you.

That was a good GR+P run. My setup made the game feel much more like Dwarven Moderation after the initial survival stage. Got 74.036 points.

Again, it's:

Vampirism - The center of this setup, and an attempt to make Vampirism suck even more (see what I did there?)
Dual-Wielding - To allow double equipping of axes + staves both.
Axes - Just because. Can be Swords or Maces too.
Staves - To benefit from the magic boosting effects for draining HP while Dual-wielding still allows for serious warrior weapons.
Golemancy - Spells compliment Melee well and allows vampire to eat his own pet. Swarm spell is amazing in this line.
Psionics - Healing spell solves Vampire's problems completely when no enemies are around.
Assassin - To OHKO enemies.

This build will probably be much weaker in the next patch once Haywire gets removed from Vampirism.

Crashed on Floor 4 :( Happened when I was attaking a blobby. Not sure of any other special circumstances. I really hope they get this stuff worked out...crashing is pretty much a deal breaker in a roguelike.

jayTOH

Berksy said:
That is the build i sent :( I knew it would be tricky.

Haven't tried but my main strategy would be equipping 2 mage shields and pumping up unarmed with vampirism. And burglary-tinkering combo to lock-pick and then close gates, putting down traps etc. Still, a hard opening awaits, i guess.

That's exactly what I was doing and thinking, so I thought it looked extremely promising at first, too. But like you said, it's a very hard opening. I got lucky and managed to find a cracked orb at the entrance in my second game and took full advantage of being able to open and close everything + utilized traps, but it still wasn't enough.

I think Tinkering needs to be buffed somehow in future patches. I don't think it's very viable alone without Smithing or Alchemy, IMO. As far as traps go, the output you get for the ingredients needed is ass, even if you pick up every trap you see. The skill set I submitted

And speaking of Tinkering and crafting, does anyone know if it's possible to craft black powder?

The trick to GR early game I find is to abuse traps on the floor to kill grounded enemies. You have to use personal resources to kill battys safely though.

And speaking of Tinkering and crafting, does anyone know if it's possible to craft black powder?
I think Alchemy can.

Volodja

KittenMaster said:
The trick to GR early game I find is to abuse traps on the floor to kill grounded enemies. You have to use personal resources to kill battys safely though.
You can kill the bats using the dart traps. If the bats are on the line of fire of the dart shooter when you step on the trap, the dart will hit them. Considering that their movement pattern is pretty predictable it's not that hard to use this to your advantage.

I am still on my second round. I am around the middle of level 4 having just cleared the Monster Zoo. I'm goind very slowly because my luck with equipment has been abysmal. My highest damaging sword does 10 damage, the other does only 5, which is ridicolous at this stage.

mrgone

13 hours and I'm still finding new references every time I play, pretty much. I just picked up a pan galactic gargle blaster, and noticed that the interdimensional axe is the axe from Quake!

Ooccoo

I just started a new char and opened an evil chest on floor one. Got a 5 star sword for my warrior and kill everything in one blow with 14 damage hahaha! Nice start...also found a toque of Canada :D

TheBez

Being only my 4th, 5th, and 6th games jumping up to going rogue proved quite difficult. My final score was 228 and my build was:

Maces
Shield Bearer
Master of Arms
Artful Dodger
Psionics
Astrology
Smithing

Top Bottom