• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

LuchaShaq

Banned
The default wand lore skill where you decrease a wand's entropy confuses me. Used a couple of wands, tried to do that, but then no difference in the entropy?

Sanic

I'm in for the contest. Not expecting much, since I have yet to play on going rogue, or with any of those skills.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Can anyone with experience in Necronomiconomics tell me if the damage received from using the spells can be lowered? I can't remember if the damage taken has a type or is just plain HP subtracted per turn. It's such a solid looking skill but even the basic blast is too dangerous to use.

Berksy

Wallach just sent us to our deaths :(

A little off-topic but for the last hour i was playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup for the first time and i was a Minotaur berserker whose god just gifted him a vampiric trident and the use of a troll whenever he wants :lol But he was killed by 8 orcs while he tried to go between them and berserk the hell out of them. He was too hungry to get godly favors :(
Tiled version is very user friendly after you finish the tutorials. Give it a try if you like DoD.

TP17

Had a great moment just then:

I had resigned myself to death, sat on 1 health with 3 bats around me and unable to move in the other direction. I was actually going to take a screenshot when I remembered that we had the potion skill and had started with a lot of them (normally I sell every potion I find as I don't know what they do). I read the descriptions on the ones that I had and the 'Spatial Instability Infusion' made me stop. It sounded like a possible teleport potion so I drank up - it was! Fistpump! From the other side of the room, I first did the fleshsmihting heal and then bolt modern'd those bats and diggles in the room and the great escape was complete!

So far I've enjoyed learning more about using wands in the game, sadly I don't have a damage dealing one left. Necronomiconomics I'm not so sure on whereas Fleshsmithing has been a great surprise - really like the skill tree so far up to the healing one.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeeeees, god damn finally. :)

Thanks Wallach.

KuroNeeko

Yes! Into my veins!

Looking to be proved wrong on Fleshsmithing. I'm not really a fan of the skill, but I've had a lot of fun with Necro in the past. Wand Mastery is also very powerful - just started playing with it a few days ago.

Looking forward to seeing how far we can go. Not sure what I'm going to do about my weapon ...

Almost wish I hadn't bought Vampire on sale as now the two are fighting for my time. :(

Wallach

Thnikkaman said:
Can anyone with experience in Necronomiconomics tell me if the damage received from using the spells can be lowered? I can't remember if the damage taken has a type or is just plain HP subtracted per turn. It's such a solid looking skill but even the basic blast is too dangerous to use.

It can, via Necrotic resist (round purple skill icon). The rank 1 spell is quite dangerous to use at low levels, especially level 1 where it is incredibly lethal. Note that not all Necronomiconomics spells specifically damage your health.

3HVJ6.jpg

God Damnit! I was level 4 and doing awesome :(

Stony Wand was a real lifesaver early on but, alas...

This started right as I was going to bed, but thankfully I didn't seem to miss much action.

Gonna start right away. Also, as long as you don't end up entering a room full of crap off the bat and play carefully, then Wand Lore guarantees a strong first couple of floors.

Alright, well after that lovely crash Houston is back in action... going a bit slower than I'd anticipated though, I have 3 Wands of Bling with really low entropy that I use as my main weapons along with my zombie buddy and alot of bolts. I also got lucky with a couple Coral Wands to help with healing. Up around 18k points right now but I opened up a Zoo on the 2nd floor, I'm scared :(

There were a couple times I came really close to dying by getting surrounded (sucks running into respawing mobs while kiting) but lucked out twice because a monster would path the wrong way and allow me to escape.

My score for my 2nd attempt.
ryJNk.png

I got surrounded by everything and had about 4 HP left, so even using a wand wouldn't have saved me. Fleshsmithing helps out Necronomiconimics a lot.

I'll do my 3rd attempt later, but there's a chance this may be my highest score.

Herla

Wallach said:
Alright guys, the new contest begins... and here are your tools:

Wand Lore
Alchemy
Fleshsmithing
Necronomiconomics
Blood Mage
Mage Training
Ley Walker

Here's the skinny - you get three tries to do something awesome. Your character names should be "(Forum Name) I/II/II" depending on what attempt you are on. Take a screenshot of every RIP screen and post the one that gets the highest score here for us to gaze upon with adoration - or openly mock you for winding up on a Diggles Gone Wild DVD.

This is a good build! I want to see dead Dredmors!

Well, that was fucking great.
Every single time I started with the most useless wands possible, having only my boot as a damage dealer.
The necro spell killed me almost instantly during the second try which, ironically, is also the one with the highest score (I managed to lure a couple diggles into traps...).

1st try: 28
2nd try: 332
3rd try: 120

ekLFS.jpg

jayTOH

Sigh, my bony wand zomby stepped into a gas trap and I had to escape from a Diggle, so I backtracked a space and died to the poison x_x

OEO54.png

I was hoping Wand Lore's third skill, Rhabdomantic Hacker, would repair burnt wands back to normal, but it doesn't. Found out the hard way wasting a turn trying to bring back a laser wand and ended up dying to a critical hit that could've went to using a defense shroom.

Volodja

Just finished my first run.
Really slow advancement.
Took me a lot of time to clear floor 1, found very few good items aside from a few wands and an Orb that gave me 3 mana regen, avoided the monster zoo on floor 2 and after clearing a lot of floor 3 I ended up killing myself like an idiot walking on my own Nightmare Curse while I was visiting Floor 1 to cook some of the various steaks I had.
I should have payed more attention to the screen, like always.
The score for the run was a around 66k.

On to the second try.

I gave up on my 3rd run because every single little thing went wrong:

- Didn't have a great wand selection at start: Helping Hand, Stony Wand, and Arcane Wand
- Arcane Wand burnt out after just a couple of uses
- Diggles at one point wouldn't stop resisting Stony Wand's damage
- Trap placement was completely useless and set up to troll me. An easy to get enemies to step on bolt projectile trap was blocked by a fountain, and other traps were out of the way. Now that I think about it I could have used helping hand to move it but normally that wand is too useless for me to consider.
- Didn't find a weapon right away.
- Even when I did I ended up missing often.
- Softballs were doing 0 damage, even with crits.
- I didn't even end my playthrough with death. Once I saw that my stony wand had burned out, leaving me with no offensive options (Necronomiconimics @ level 2 and no flesh knitting doesn't count), I simply quit.

Volodja

The second spell in the Necro tree doesn't take a toll on your life so you can use it even if you have nothing to cure yourself with.
Also it puts the enemy to sleep blocking the way of the other enemies, it kills most of the monsters in one cast while they are sleeping and it doesn't need an unobstructed line of fire.

Wallach

KittenMaster said:
I'm waiting for Wallach's score. It'll probably be in the six digits.

Nothing crazy yet. I'm on floor 3 on my first go. I'm pretty used to this type of build though; the one I won on GR + P first was very similar to this, except I had Vampirism and Staves in place of Wand Lore and Alchemy.

I'm definitely close to hitting critical mass though. I'll have Tenebrous Rift in two levels; if I can get there it's definitely possible this will be another GR + P clear.

KuroNeeko

Still on my first run.

The first level (of XP) is brutal as hell, but I'm slowly getting used to the build. I have a bit of experience with killing myself via the Necro / Flesh skill tree, so that wasn't much of a problem.

My biggest problems are a lack of experience of the game past the first floor, not having any really exploitable arrow traps in my current area, and trying to figure out the order I should be choosing my skills. My biggest choice was at level 2 when I had to choose between Flesh and Necro for my offensive spell. I went Flesh with my eye on the tier 3 heal but I'm thinking Necro may have been the better choice. Still, Flesh 2 is pretty amazing so far. I'm a big fan of thief builds, even if I haven't found one that works yet but after playing this I'm pretty sure that melee builds suck. :D

Haven't had much experience with Alchemy, but it's pretty damn amazing, especially with a vendor nearby. Wow.

Looking forward to playing more but I can tell that, barring bad luck, each run is going to take a lot longer. Seems like a pretty solid build if you can survive level 1.
:D

Volodja

Closed my runs with the 2 most frustrating attempts I've played in this game until now.
The last run was particularly disappointing. I was still on floor 1, level 4, I get flanked by 2 enemies, behind me the wall, in front a Yellow Diggle 1 space from me, nearly surrounded then.
One of the two monsters around me is a nearly dead Blobby, the other a Green Diggle.
I cast the Nightmare Curse on the Green Diggle, he should either die this turn or the one after and probably fall asleep anyway.

Nope.

He doesn't fall asleep and what is more important, he is nowhere near dead, as a matter of fact his lifebar becomes completely full

and gigantic

and he hits me without giving a damn about what I did.

I now have 6 hp and am surrounded. I cast the fleshsmithing shield and manage to survive the turn and hoping to cut the incoming damage I cast the Nightmare curse again, this time on the Yellow Diggle to put him to sleep.
The curse hits.
The Diggle doesn't fall asleep.
I die.
Nice.

Best score for the contest: 65968

Wallach

Yeah, I have discovered that "giant health bar" bug as well, that one's new to me. If you hit them again for at least 1 point of damage they'll die if they get into that state. Only seen it from Nightmare Curse so far.

Volodja

Wallach said:
Yeah, I have discovered that "giant health bar" bug as well, that one's new to me. If you hit them again for at least 1 point of damage they'll die if they get into that state. Only seen it from Nightmare Curse so far.
I knew about it, but it was too late for me, even if the yellow diggle fell asleep I would have probably died to the other 2 guys. My death was pretty much decided when the Green one bugged out.
I can't even remember how the second run went but I remember it pissing me off a lot and it ending really early (around 900 points).
Royally frustrating after the way the first run went and considering that early on every inch must be conquered with buckets of sweat with this build.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
My current run is going pretty well. Try 1 and 2 were failures (2000 something and 50). I currently have only 1/3 of the first level uncovered but already 11.000 points. Thats some slow progress. My Zombie Pet is keeping the trouble away from me most of the time.

KuroNeeko

Volodja said:
Necro tears

Best score for the contest: 65968

Sucks about getting cornered like that. Sucks even more that you may have lost to a bug. :(

Nice score though. It's going to be tough to beat.

BTW, what was your death from in that screenshot from?

Volodja

KuroNeeko said:
Sucks about getting cornered like that. Sucks even more that you may have lost to a bug. :(

Nice score though. It's going to be tough to beat.

BTW, what was your death from in that screenshot from?
Oh, if it wasn't for the bug I am pretty positive I would have escaped the situation without many problems.
As for the first run, I was on floor 1 to grill some steaks. Got into a fight with some diggles, erased them in half a second and ended up walking into a Nightmare Curse that was on the ground. I thought it was a very rare effect of the spell but it looks like it is another bug.
Yeah, it wasn't my day.

Are there any rules against trading here?

I would love to play this game but I'm poor. I have an extra copy of Frozen Synapse and Portal, if you want to trade for one of those it would be appreciated.

Cerepol

I'd definitely trade for Frozen Synapse

/sigh, first 2 runs were complete crap, batties surrounded me both times. I nearly escaped on the second one but a sickly diggle finished me off. I started getting somewhere by biding my time and slowly picking off things. I was planning on grinding up the levels. But I hit a bad room full of diggles and was unable to escape before I got surrounded.

Toma

dB3HF.jpg

Thats what I get in EVERY room on floor 1. I am not kidding. What the hell is wrong with you game. Normally its like 2-3 enemies in each room.

Volodja

Toma said:
dB3HF.jpg

Thats what I get in EVERY room on floor 1. I am not kidding. What the hell is wrong with you game. Normally its like 2-3 enemies in each room.
Happened to me once.
I thought that maybe it was because I spent quite a lot of turns waiting in that run.

Volodja

kafiend said:
Its a Monster Zoo. Shows up as a pale blue room on the map after you let them all loose...

Edit: Every room?
No, it's not a monster zoo, especially not on floor 1.
It is like the enitre floor spawns more minions than usual.

Toma

Volodja said:
No, it's not a monster zoo, especially not on floor 1.
It is like the enitre floor spawns more minions than usual.

Its crazy. Almost every tile has a monster on this floor. Gives me a loooooot experience points, though.. if I can survive. Was it only for your level 1? Or were subsequent levels the same? Because that on level 5...

Bento

So is any patch on the way? I've been reading this thread and noticed some complaints about bugs and so on and have intended to stall my purchase until at least some of those have been resolved. Has the developer announced anything?

Volodja

Toma said:
Its crazy. Almost every tile has a monster on this floor. Gives me a loooooot experience points, though.. if I can survive. Was it only for your level 1? Or were subsequent levels the same? Because that on level 5...
I don't remember how that run went. Maybe I died before reaching floor 2, probably to a trap, because that's how I roll.

Bento said:
So is any patch on the way? I've been reading this thread and noticed some complaints about bugs and so on and have intended to stall my purchase until at least some of those have been resolved. Has the developer announced anything?
1.0.4 is coming. It should solve quite a few issues and add some content.

Sanic

First attempt for the contest. Final score? zero.

I clearly don't know what i'm doing with these skills.

Toma

Volodja said:
I don't remember how that run went. Maybe I died before reaching floor 2, probably to a trap, because that's how I roll.

Atm I am at 31.000 points, still on the first floor... maybe done about 2/3...

jayTOH

Since we're all going to be using the same skill set for the challenges each week, can the high scorers post some specific build tips? Like skill point distribution, equipments, what to hoard, etc? Or maybe just GR+P tips in general? I'm used to the DM way of going a lot faster and having tens of thousands of gold.

Toma

jayTOH said:
Since we're all going to be using the same skill set for the challenges each week, can the high scorers post some specific build tips? Like skill point distribution, equipments, what to hoard, etc? Or maybe just GR+P tips in general? I'm used to the DM way of going a lot faster and having tens of thousands of gold.

Well, it would defeat the purpose of a competition to give too much hints. But in this case I found to take the first Mage spell that does damage over time instead of necronomics or the wand stuff. That spell is lethal for anything on the first level. And then I built on top of that. Having a wand that gives me a zombie pet and every time a room is cleared, slowly restoring all wands, hp and mp. Takes ages, but I dont die.

Wallach

Toma said:
Well, it would defeat the purpose of a competition to give too much hints. But in this case I found to take the first Mage spell that does damage over time instead of necronomics or the wand stuff. That spell is lethal for anything on the first level. And then I built on top of that. Having a wand that gives me a zombie pet and every time a room is cleared, slowly restoring all wands, hp and mp. Takes ages, but I dont die.

Ah... I think this is why you find so much stuff in every room. Monster respawns trigger every 180 turns on GR, and they do spawn in rooms you haven't opened yet as well.

Toma

Wallach said:
Ah... I think this is why you find so much stuff in every room. Monster respawns trigger every 180 turns on GR, and they do spawn in rooms you haven't opened yet as well.

Stupid, should be considered a bug. Maybe raising the spawning immediately near you, but for the WHOLE floor, its basically impossible to get through the floor normally.
At least its not a deep mechanics bug, so if I get a good skill, hopefully I can avoid that on level 2.

Wallach said:
This kinda sucks for sets that are very slow paced like Wand Lore based ones.

Toma

KittenMaster said:
This kinda sucks for sets that are very slow paced like Wand Lore based ones.

Yeah, either they need to cut down the turns needed for the wand reset spells, or trim the Respawn in some way. Maybe only adding so much enemies at a time if the player hasnt opened a new door or something.

Volodja

Toma said:
Stupid, should be considered a bug. Maybe raising the spawning immediately near you, but for the WHOLE floor, its basically impossible to get through the floor normally.
At least its not a deep mechanics bug, so if I get a good skill, hopefully I can avoid that on level 2.
I find that even before I hit floor 2 the speed of the build raised dramatically, I nearly never used my wands anymore so I rarely had to wait for the cooldown for the recharge to finish, I just used it when I could and the debuff wasn't really that problematic anymore so I could keep on exploring while it was in effect.
Basically as soon as I was able to carpet-cast Nightmare Curse without the debuff crippling me in just a handful of casts I stopped having to wait around much.
So it should really be a floor 1 issue only with this set of skills.

I had it with a axes/maces/fungal arts character because until you level Fungal arts the number of spores you will have will really be low, but with a build like that after you hit a certain point (which is pretty early on) no matter how many enemies in a row floor 1 throws at you, it will just be fodder.

Toma

Volodja said:
I find that even before I hit floor 2 the speed of the build raised dramatically, I nearly never used my wands anymore so I rarely had to wait for the cooldown for the recharge to finish, I just used it when I could and the debuff wasn't really that problematic anymore so I could keep on exploring while it was in effect.
Basically as soon as I was able to carpet-cast Nightmare Curse without the debuff crippling me in just a handful of casts I stopped having to wait around much.
So it should really be a floor 1 issue only with this set of skills.

I had it with a axes/maces/fungal arts character because until you level Fungal arts the number of spores you will have will really be low, but with a build like that after you hit a certain point (which is pretty early on) no matter how many enemies in a row floor 1 throws at you, it will just be fodder.

Hm, I ignored necronomics completely, maxed wands and Blood Magic for now. Right now I am concentrating on that other magic school that wasnt necronomics.
Well, I'll see how far I'll get with that :)

Czrat.jpg

Stupid mistake, I got careless and ran straight into a respawned Enraged Diggle without paying attention... yeah, yeah, technically I killed myself apparently but it was all in a panicked effort to stay alive

Top Bottom