• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

Echoplx

Oh god, this is my first roguelike and I fucking love it, I've never played a game so brutally addictive.

On my 5th run I finally got a good build going and scored 10'000, not that great but better then my previous 400 lol

Hahaha damn I kept trying to use teleport to reach one of those little islands with loot and it ended up teleporting me into the middle of a Monster Zoo. lol

My next teleport actually managed to take me safely outside of the room but then while trying to lay traps I accidentally opened the door with nowhere to run. Oopsie.

Wallach

Damn... just had my first crash. Floor seven. :(

That one hurts. Something like 250k score and nothing to show for it since permadeath was on.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
From what I've played it's really enjoyable but it's not loading my game for some reason, and with all the other bugs think I'll wait a little before jumping back in.

Sarcasm said:
Question about skills. If you don't choose any of the weapon skills:

Swords, Maces, Axes, Staves, Crossbows, or Unarmed...are you gimped? The bad weapon icon pops up.

On top of that my choosing dual wielding, the one two attack/hold two weapons..how is this combo with said above?

Not necessarily. For example, you CAN properly dual-wield Shields and enjoy their perhaps passive enhancements that might bolster spellcasting/resists.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
r.i.p little corky.

Got to lvl 13-15 or something ~7hours, and the 7th floor with 250000 points and 150000 gold. But the game pretty much got broken since I couldn't buy any decent gear because all of it was garbage 50-100 gold crap items that filled every store and I ran out of food so I just commited suicide basically.

Feels good that I died by my own hands and pretty much breezed through the game until I just couldn't proceed for stupid reasons.

Next run is going to be on elves just want to have fun and no permadeath.

Sarcasm said:
Question about skills. If you don't choose any of the weapon skills:

Swords, Maces, Axes, Staves, Crossbows, or Unarmed...are you gimped? The bad weapon icon pops up.

On top of that my choosing dual wielding, the one two attack/hold two weapons..how is this combo with said above?

You can still do some damage with a weapon, even. I've gone with random skills pretty every time so far, so I've had several characters with new weapon skills. I think what it may do is any weapon you have gets its 'base' damage(slashing, crushing, blasting?) halved, while other damage is normal. No penalty to hit either, as far as I can tell. So depending on the weapon, you can do almost full damage with it. That's my experience, at least.

At least for the early game, I find that what weapon you have is much more important thatn what weapon skills you have.

Philthy

Corky said:
r.i.p little corky.

Got to lvl 13-15 or something ~7hours, and the 7th floor with 250000 points and 150000 gold. But the game pretty much got broken since I couldn't buy any decent gear because all of it was garbage 50-100 gold crap items that filled every store and I ran out of food so I just commited suicide basically.

Feels good that I died by my own hands and pretty much breezed through the game until I just couldn't proceed for stupid reasons.

Next run is going to be on elves just want to have fun and no permadeath.

What build were you using, and was it permadeath mode?

I'm having a lot of fun with Sword/Dual Wield/Armor/Promethean/Assassin/Archaeology and I can't remember the last one. I pretty much work up to fireballs which can basically clear out rooms and then finish everything off with my swords. You get pretty strong after a few levels.

The new patch is supposed to be coming that they hope fixes a lot of the crash bugs, and they also found monsters weren't using their ranged attacks/spells properly, so the game difficulty may ramp up quite a bit!

Marchiott

Just had my first crash yesterday =(

I had a pet spawned on floor 2, went down to floor 3, spawned another pet. After my pet on floor 3 got killed by some pumpkin thing, I tried to go back to floor 2 and the game crashed...

There goes my most successful character yet... (Throwing, Unarmed, Berserk, Master of Arms, Deadshot, Fungus, Smithing - ~40k points)

Had so much lutefisk, never found a shrine.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Philthy said:
What build were you using, and was it permadeath mode?

I'm having a lot of fun with Sword/Dual Wield/Armor/Promethean/Assassin/Archaeology and I can't remember the last one. I pretty much work up to fireballs which can basically clear out rooms and then finish everything off with my swords. You get pretty strong after a few levels.

The new patch is supposed to be coming that they hope fixes a lot of the crash bugs, and they also found monsters weren't using their ranged attacks/spells properly, so the game difficulty may ramp up quite a bit!

Yeap I ran with permadeath, I had hmm lemme see axe/master of arms/shield/necronominciocnics ( worst ) / beserker rage / artful dodger

edit : and assasination

Berksy

I was playing Rogue+Perma with the first mage build i get to survive. Got to floor 2, game crashed. I will give a break till they fix the game for good.

Promethean magic is so powerful. Bundle it with Blood magic and things start dying fast. Also its pet is so good i wasn't even participating in combat, just pressing space and watch it slay monsters. Even in Rogue mode.

Hmm it does kind of seem like Promethean is the only way to do a mage build. Sucks that the other mage skills kind of suck in comparison to FIREBALL lol

I just had probably my luckiest run end with me being an idiot. I gotta say that I don't like how it automatically sends certain usable items to your hotkey bar. Had a vitriol poison right next to my Liqour and accidentally pressed it right during a key monster zoo battle.

I got lucky finding a really nice staff too. :(

Hit level 12 on my rogue/fighter build. Made it to floor 5, accidentally hit a trap...and crap. Entanglement at 50 turns. Great. I'm teleporting every 3rd step, leaving a fire rune on the ground, spawning enemies...I make it to the 49th turn, and kaboom! mishap while drinking restore potion.

sigh.

Those monster zoo's are brutal though. Way more common than in Nethack...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The patch isnt out yet, right? They said something about sending it to steam on monday, how long will it take until it gets through to us then? Does anyone know?

erragal

Crazymoogle said:
Those monster zoo's are brutal though. Way more common than in Nethack...
In my experience they're every floor except the first. I haven't gone below 6 yet so maybe they stop?

My mage is going so well right now its amazing, not even going to bother disarming gargoyle acid bolt traps anymore. On floor 2 I picked up a ring with 2 mana regeneration bonus for less than 2k gold! At that same store I also bought a fire orb shield that also had 2 mana regeneration bonus plus a bunch of magic damage and defense. Floor 3 had a shop with another mana regen ring and I'm getting 1 mana back every turn now with blood magic. Good thing I was trying out a build without ley walker since items can replace whatever skill points you would invest in it anyway.

I'd recommend alchemy for any mage, right now im sitting on 30 health potions and about 10 mana potions with around 50+ waters that heal 25+ mana each. Problem is with all of the mana regen gear I picked up I don't even drink water anymore, but the health potions are more than worth it. Another great skill is the two point archeology spell, I'd say it gave me about a levels worth of experience so it's definitely worth it long term. Just turn any artifact into exp and get your money with wands and squid/massive destruction bolts. I've started to carry around 3-5 star gear that I can't use in hopes of kronging it for exp, but I've yet to find a anvil.

Philthy

Toma said:
The patch isnt out yet, right? They said something about sending it to steam on monday, how long will it take until it gets through to us then? Does anyone know?

When ever Steam gets around to it. They don't have a set schedule for anything. Hopefully later today.

Edit: Their site says "Early next week" so that could mean anything.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Philthy said:
When ever Steam gets around to it. They don't have a set schedule for anything. Hopefully later today.

Ah okay, but its already good to know it might get through today. I wasnt sure whether that process takes 1 day or 2 weeks or something.

Philthy

Toma said:
Ah okay, but its already good to know it might get through today. I wasnt sure whether that process takes 1 day or 2 weeks or something.

Playing other indie games and their patches and the dev comments on the patch process, it seems some days Steam is on the ball and they release the patch same day as it was received, sometimes a day later, and never on the weekends for some odd reason.

Berksy

Toma said:

First two patches hit pretty quick so we won't wait for long i guess.

And the following new things shalt be added:
- Automatic Saves in the Case of Crashes.
- Changes to how Permadeath works. We’ll now delete the file when you actually die.
- Fifty New Achievements

So long for me giving a break.

Druz

So... is there a way to control the pets you summon? or am I forever avoiding 1 tile rooms where the pet blocks your escape

Philthy

Druz said:
So... is there a way to control the pets you summon? or am I forever avoiding 1 tile rooms where the pet blocks your escape

Use WASD to move through your pet. Mouse movement wont let you for some odd reason, not sure if that is fixed in the upcoming patch.

But, no, you can't control your pet.

Bought the game after reading this thread. Lots of fun, no regrets. Currently on level 4 - cleared out a monster zoo on level 2 and one on level 3. (I thought 50-odd monsters was bad until I got more than 90 the second time.) Fungal Arts is great for low levels. The summoned slime usually does more damage than you on level 1 so you can just hang back and let it kill for you as if it was your Nethack puppy. You can even summon it through a door so you can pop it into the monster zoo and let it do stuff in there, not that it does too much good.

It's probably been mentioned but if you click to walk it auto avoids traps that it spots. with wasd walking I walk onto traps all the time.

picklecannon said:
Just turn any artifact into exp and get your money with wands and squid/massive destruction bolts. I've started to carry around 3-5 star gear that I can't use in hopes of kronging it for exp, but I've yet to find a anvil.
I got a mass destruction bolt and an anvil on the first floor, turned the mass destruction bolt into an epic, then used the exp spell. the 8,000+ item gave me 150 of the 250 exp needed at level 2. :|

I rage quit and started over.

Crunched said:
I want to get this game, but all this talk of crashing is seriously dissuading me.

Just grab it later this week when there is likely to have been some nice patching work done. The devs have given every indication of being committed to this game for the long haul, and I'm rather sure that each week ticking by will move the ball forward quite a jaunt.

Just a little trick I found out to get lutefisk a lot easier. When you get crappy stack-able items (throwing weapons, high amounts of low level bolts) you can separate the stack in most crafting interfaces. So just open up your ingot press or anvil and drop the stacked item in there to get it into 1's, then just plop them into the lutefisk cube. This way you can get 1:1 exchange rate on ammo's, whereas just dropping in a stack of ammo only gets you 1-4 lutefisk.

Owlowiscious said:
I got a mass destruction bolt and an anvil on the first floor, turned the mass destruction bolt into an epic, then used the exp spell. the 8,000+ item gave me 150 of the 250 exp needed at level 2. :|

I rage quit and started over.

Yeah sell wands/bolts, enchant other stuff (after you're happy with your gear) for experience, since wands and rare bolts easily sell for 1k+ so that's where most of your income should come from. Should've worded that a bit better. I don't think I've ever gotten over 400ish experience turning artifacts but on average I find atleast 5 artifacts per floor (not counting anvils) so it adds up and it eventually becomes a free point.

Spirit of Jazz said:
It just crashed when I went down to floor 10 having never done so before... somebody please hold me.

I screwed up my awesome run with 50 health pots and 40 mana pots plus food and drinks to last me forever because there was a diggle in a store and for whatever reason I fireballed it and aggroed Brax. After fighting off 2k worth of exp of dread collectors I decided to steal a ring that I was eyeing since the spawns weren't stopping.

I made a run for the previous floor to see if I was completely screwed and if they'd never leave me alone and it turned out the spawning only happened on the floor where I attacked brax. So now with an inventory full of crap that I couldn't sell because I killed brax on floor 5, I proceed to unload all of my crap on the floor 4 brax. As I leave the store that goddamn ring that I stole triggers him to agro me and tons of dread collectors spawn again! I end up making a run for it while using the level 1 mathemagic teleport spell to get some distance and teleport right in the middle of 4 dread collectors and die.

Wallach

Spirit of Jazz said:
It just crashed when I went down to floor 10 having never done so before... somebody please hold me.

QkHK6.png

Daigoro

ew god. that picture is creepy and horrible.

Crunched said:
I want to get this game, but all this talk of crashing is seriously dissuading me.

im in the same boat. rougelikes are tough enough. id hate to lose a game because of a crash after investing time into a run.

Echoplx

Daigoro said:
ew god. that picture is creepy and horrible.

im in the same boat. rougelikes are tough enough. id hate to lose a game because of a crash after investing time into a run.

I remember reading a tweet saying the next patch would automatically backup saves when a crash is detected.

Wallach

Yeah, I'm hoping that patch comes tomorrow or something so I can get started again. I really like my build, though I noticed a few things:

- Wyrmling pet says it goes hostile in the combat log but never actually goes hostile against you if you strike it
- If you kill it you gain experience, which combined with the above makes it easy to exploit
- Promethean Magic does way too much damage, Obvious Fireball was still one-shot killing literally everything on floor 7 of Going Rogue
- Astrology's offensive magic is really weak but also quite cheap to cast; good for a support tree to your main offensive school of magic but should mostly be used for Radiant Aura and Syzygy
- You don't really need trap affinity for a mage if you have a summonable pet, since you can either just summon it on one-fire traps or put it between you and the fire path of the trap and attempt to disarm until it works
- Get at least 2 or more trap radius on Going Rogue or you'll be stuck playing very slowly on floor 5 and beyond

Volodja

Wallach said:
Yeah, I'm hoping that patch comes tomorrow or something so I can get started again. I really like my build, though I noticed a few things:

- Wyrmling pet says it goes hostile in the combat log but never actually goes hostile against you if you strike it
- If you kill it you gain experience, which combined with the above makes it easy to exploit
- Promethean Magic does way too much damage, Obvious Fireball was still one-shot killing literally everything on floor 7 of Going Rogue
- Astrology's offensive magic is really weak but also quite cheap to cast; good for a support tree to your main offensive school of magic but should mostly be used for Radiant Aura and Syzygy
- You don't really need trap affinity for a mage if you have a summonable pet, since you can either just summon it on one-fire traps or put it between you and the fire path of the trap and attempt to disarm until it works
- Get at least 2 or more trap radius on Going Rogue or you'll be stuck playing very slowly on floor 5 and beyond
In general they have to rebalance some skill trees.
I've tried doing a Golemancy run but it was awful, no aoe and the summons cost a lot of mana, are rather fragile (even if the second one does quite decent damage) and have the worst AI, they only attack a selected target and if it is on the other side of the room they'll ignore every other attacker even if they are trapped by them. This way works with the wyrmling because you are the one nuking aoe and the mana cost is relatively low, but with golemancy you don't have much to deal damage. In the end a lot of my kills were from luring enemies into traps, which made my advancement even slower because I couldn't disarm them before the floor was cleared.
Maybe I could sit in the first floor and keep on casting the second summon and killing it, getting 100 xp every time, but that's just nuts considering that the advancement was already painfully slow.

Wallach

Volodja said:
In general they have to rebalance some skill trees.
I've tried doing a Golemancy run but it was awful, no aoe and the summons cost a lot of mana, are rather fragile (even if the second one does quite decent damage) and have the worst AI, they only attack a selected target and if it is on the other side of the room they'll ignore every other attacker even if they are trapped by them. This way works with the wyrmling because you are the one nuking aoe and the mana cost is relatively low, but with golemancy you don't have much to deal damage. In the end a lot of my kills were from luring enemies into traps, which made my advancement even slower because I couldn't disarm them before the floor was cleared.
Maybe I could sit in the first floor and keep on castintg the second summon and killing it, getting 100 xp every time, but that's just nuts considering that the advancement was already painfully slow.

Yeah, Astrology is even worse for damage. The spells don't cost much to cast at all (when my OF was like ~9 mana to cast, the "No" Astrology spell was like ~3) but they deal almost zero damage. Promethean Magic on the other hand just obliterates everything, the only real risk is hitting yourself on accident (which still hurts even with significant fire resist).

Also, you'd think the Wyrmling would be immune to fire dmg. It's hard to really use for anything but a linebacker for enemies and traps because you'll obliterate it in combat.

Volodja

Wallach said:
Yeah, Astrology is even worse for damage. The spells don't cost much to cast at all (when my OF was like ~9 mana to cast, the "No" Astrology spell was like ~3) but they deal almost zero damage. Promethean Magic on the other hand just obliterates everything, the only real risk is hitting yourself on accident (which still hurts even with significant fire resist).

Also, you'd think the Wyrmling would be immune to fire dmg. It's hard to really use for anything but a linebacker for enemies and traps because you'll obliterate it in combat.
Whenever I go promethean I bomb the hell out of the Wyrmling without caring much, he costs so little and Blood Magic laughs in the face of mana needs when you are a ball of unstoppable aoe damage.
Unstoppable until you walk into traps or into your own rune of explosion, that is.

Wallach

Volodja said:
Whenever I go promethean I bomb the hell out of the Wyrmling without caring much, he costs so little and Blood Magic laughs in the face of mana needs when you are a ball of unstoppable aoe damage.
Unstoppable until you walk into traps or into your own rune of explosion, that is.

Oh yeah, there's no real reason not to obliterate him. By floor 5 if your build is alright you can really just spam endless spells so it's not a mana thing. I just don't see the logic in it taking friendly fire from Promethean spells since it relegates it to a positioning/trap tool.

Volodja

Wallach said:
Oh yeah, there's no real reason not to obliterate him. By floor 5 if your build is alright you can really just spam endless spells so it's not a mana thing. I just don't see the logic in it taking friendly fire from Promethean spells since it relegates it to a positioning/trap tool.
I thought that it didn't make much sense either when I first noticed it but promethean magic doesn't need to be more powerful so it's ok.

I'll keep trying to find another viable main magic school that doesn't require you to go at the pace of a snail.
Maths was dealing decent damage in floor 3 with the curses, but it was single target and just an accessory to promethean.
The flashsmithing tree has that corpse explosion spell and the last spell that should be aoe, but you need a few levels before getting to them so it's a matter of surviving until then without boredom dominating your life.
Necro magic hurts you real bad but maybe in later stages it is viable? I don't know much of its spells.
Psionics may have the pyrokinesis spell as an aoe but before that it is really mainly a self preservation tree.
The viking one could be interesting but I wanted to do a pure magic character maybe with orbs on both hands and that tree has a few spell that are targeted to melee fighters. Kind of the same goes for Astrology

Wallach

Promethean needs a big fat nerf, so maybe when they get around to doing that they can make the wyrmling more survivable against other Promethean spells.

I've heard that Necro's 6th level spell is quite fantastic, but the lead up to it isn't very impressive. Golemancy is slow but once you get the Infection it's not too bad, and you have enough control that at at the least it's quite safe.

How is Mathemagic overall? Someone was saying Golden Ratio is a decent main combat spell with the side effect of getting a lot of extra zorkmids along the way. I was thinking of trying the following when I complete GR + P on my first mage build (which I'm not going to start until this new patch hits so I don't lose him to a crash again):

Staves
Mathemagic
Psionics
Magic Training
Blood Mage
Ley Walker
(something here)

I like taking Staves for the early melee buff (and later the passive bonuses are okay when you're done investing into other stuff), but I don't see Vampirism working as well without a summonable pet to leech off. It would still help a lot in the first few vulnerable levels I guess, but I was thinking of taking Archaeology instead for the starter hat and rerolling of artifacts that won't die off in usefulness as much later on. Either that or Perception so I can skip trap sight radius on my gear and focus purely on magic power.

For a super safe build you could replace Mathemagic with Golemancy and take Vampirism as the seventh, you'd pretty much never die to anything unless you stomp on a trap. Oh, also Fungal Arts pairs quite well with Vampirism since you can use those even though you can't use food, and you have a summon to bash for health.

Volodja

Wallach said:
Promethean needs a big fat nerf, so maybe when they get around to doing that they can make the wyrmling more survivable against other Promethean spells.

I've heard that Necro's 6th level spell is quite fantastic, but the lead up to it isn't very impressive. Golemancy is slow but once you get the Infection it's not too bad, and you have enough control that at at the least it's quite safe.

How is Mathemagic overall? Someone was saying Golden Ratio is a decent main combat spell with the side effect of getting a lot of extra zorkmids along the way. I was thinking of trying the following when I complete GR + P on my first mage build (which I'm not going to start until this new patch hits so I don't lose him to a crash again):

Staves
Mathemagic
Psionics
Magic Training
Blood Mage
Ley Walker
(something here)

I like taking Staves for the early melee buff (and later the passive bonuses are okay when you're done investing into other stuff), but I don't see Vampirism working as well without a summonable pet to leech off. It would still help a lot in the first few vulnerable levels I guess, but I was thinking of taking Archaeology instead for the starter hat and rerolling of artifacts that won't die off in usefulness as much later on. Either that or Perception so I can skip trap sight radius on my gear and focus purely on magic power.

For a super safe build you could replace Mathemagic with Golemancy and take Vampirism as the seventh, you'd pretty much never die to anything unless you stomp on a trap. Oh, also Fungal Arts pairs quite well with Vampirism since you can use those even though you can't use food, and you have a summon to bash for health.
I found the infection to be useless, a lot of times I saw monsters standing on top of it and not catching it for some reason. Otherwise it would be damn good and a great way to clear monster zoos even if a bit slow, granted that you keep your walls up.

As for maths, the second spell cuts the damage the enemies deal quite nicely and the golden ratio kills a single enemy in a few turns at the third level while giving you 40 gold for every turn it is in effect. Consider that I used it paired with promethean magic and blood magic so the not so low cost was not a problem. The spells after that I don't know.

Consider that my experience is limited to a few levels, I haven't ever got very deep even after playing so much because I tend to play roguelikes late at night when I am sleepy and that cuts my chances of surviving by a lot.

However, I just started a necro test run:
Necronomiconomics obviously
Flesh-shaping for the first spell helping against the life draining effects of the first necro skill and maybe corpse explosion later
Mathemagic for the teleport
Magic Training because I always take it
Blood Magic because I intend to have some aoe spells later on
Ley Lines helps with the second skill and significantly cuts the disadvantage of the mana upkeep on meatshield
Alchemy because you never know

The first skill of the necro tree gives you a -1 to life and deals your damage for 4 turns, pretty big damage too, but the meatshield helps.
The second skill gives you a -2 to your mana and minus to the mana regen for a few turns.
The third is a buff with an upkeep , costs a bit and considering that I use no weapons it's not that useful; it gives +1 str, 4 armor and 1 absorption with mana consumption every 3 turns.

Berksy said:
New achievements are online at Steam but there is no patch yet.
Hey now, that's much better. I was wondering why a game like this had less then ten achievements.

Does this game compare well to the Shiren/Torneko games?

Toma

Complete Patch list, and info about the delay:

First a quick reminder: today is the last day you can get Dungeons of Dredmor at 10% off – save all of fifty glorious cents. That said, onto the meat:

Some folks have been asking what the deal is with the promised 1.0.3 patch, so here’s the deal. The patch is done; I’m not adding any more code to it. However, we still have to give it a quick playthrough tomorrow before we can let it loose upon the world. This is to make sure that we haven’t added any more crash bugs, corrupted save games, or all the rest of it; hopefully this turns out to be a good strategy. I would test it myself, but it’s now 3:30 AM in Victoria, and doctors keep telling me that I need at least four hours of sleep, preferably more. Foolish men of medicine, what do they know?

The 2X UI scaler has been moved to patch 1.0.4 (the next patch), as has in-client leaderboards. Doing the 2X UI properly – making it all pretty and stuff – is going to take at least another couple of days. I think, however, we have now taken care of most of the other major complaints. Here is the current, completed, changelog:

- Fixed: crash that occurred when moving up stairs or down stairs, involving summoned pets
- Fixed: shopkeepers doing odd things when picking up and dropping items after load/save, including crashing.
- Fixed: crash when using invalid missile sprites, which probably never happens, but oh well.
- Fixed: crash that just sort of happened randomly to a bunch of people, but it’s fixed now.
- Fixed: merchandise flag not cleared when you go downstairs
- Fixed: backwards conditional logic on ranged monster attacks means that monsters were not consistently casting spells; fixing this makes the Dungeon 95.2% nastier.
- Fixed: Current Active Skill crossing over between new games
- Fixed: small sconce appearing where a small sconce should not appear in the bath level
- Fixed: knightly leap now operates in all correct chess positions.
- Fixed: shops spilling out of their rooms.
- Fixed: broken berserk description.
- Fixed: perception skill should not promise that you can see through walls when, in fact, it will not let you see through walls.
- Fixed: doors with wrong orientation connecting rooms.
- Fixed: Anvils of Krong spawning in hallways for no good reason.
- Fixed: crash when killing Brax and then going back to loot the store.
- Fixed: auto-fill eats items if you have multiples.
- Fixed: BBQs/minifridges now maintain state across saved games.
- Tweaked values of Berserk skill.
- Tweaked “Duck and Cover” armour values.
- Tweaked Perception to be more useful.
- Nerfed “Obvious Fireball.”
- Ammo recovery rates for thrown weaponry and crossbow bolts now much higher.
- A lot more filthy, awful tweaking.
- Permadeath now deletes your save game files on your death, as opposed to when you load the game.
- Added, and clarified, the warning text on the “Just Quit” button.
- Added toggle that reverses behaviour of CLICK and SHIFT-CLICK on items.
- Added the Auto-Looter 9000, by BraxCo.
- Added automatic save support; the game will now automatically save before going up and down stairs. (Note: your autosave will be deleted if you die in the case of permadeath; the auto-save is also only accessible if Crash Recovery Mode is active.)
- Added support for total music disabling (via Steam parameter “-nomusic”.)
- Added fifty-three new achievements. (These are live so we can test them; go see what you have to look forwards to.)
- Added some new crafting stuff.
- Added steak grilling.
- Added interface for key configuration.
- Added a Quick Sell interface for rapidly selling your loot to Brax.
- Rewrote the save game format so we can add items without breaking everything. (Oops.) (This may also break current save games, although we tried our hardest to make sure this isn’t the case.)
- Steam Overlay now works; run the game with “-opengl” as a parameter in the Steam Advanced settings to try this. (This is experimental.)
- WASD can now open doors and attack monsters. This is a toggleable behaviour.
- Added an XML based, human-readable configuration file to hold all the new options.
- Smooth scaling is now saved between playthroughs.
- Fun with Aqua Vitae.

Thanks for sticking with us while we put this together; we know you’re all patiently waiting. As soon as we’re confident that this will make life better, and not worse, we’ll push it out to you.

Emitan

PixyJunket said:
Hey now, that's much better. I was wondering why a game like this had less then ten achievements.

Does this game compare well to the Shiren/Torneko games?
I like it a lot more than Shiren. But I was never a big Shiren fan in the first place.

Philthy

Heh, so much for fireballing my way through monster zoos. Aiieee.

The ranged attack fix might also make it so that the third floor and beyond is awful. Sometimes I'll see one octo guy actually cast bolt spells and it SUCKS. Can you imagine a room of 4-5 of them doing this? Or a monster zoo doing it? You'll die instantly.

I hope they really do test this.

Top Bottom