• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
DMPrince said:
YES.
i tried to throw a raw steak in the grill and nothing. glad they are patching this in lol.

You can make an omelette with 4 eggs though.

You need the Ingot press I believe.

Moobabe

Ok I'm buying it. Between Frozen Synapse, Cthulu Saves the World and this - well, what a year it's been so far for indies.

Wallach

The nerf to Obvious Fireball is good, though if they didn't tweak Explosive Rune it is probably still going to leave Promethean Magic as the premier damage dealing spell line.

The fix to enemy ranged attacks is going to make things a lot harder, though. Floors like the third will be quite a bit trickier to handle as it's full of Octos and Djinnis.

I've been mucking around with a different build:

Staves, Vampirism, Fleshsmithing, Necronomiconomics, Mage Training, Blood Mage, Ley Walker

I'll say this: Necro is fucking useless at the start of GR + P. You do a crap ton of damage to yourself on the first use without Mark of Cthon, and even on floor 3 I basically don't use it whatsoever. I am using 4 points already in Fleshsmithing and it's... okay. The first damage spell is actually kind of nice if you're doing some melee because it makes them take a lot more damage and deal less. Thing is, I'm still having mana issues on floor 3 (whereas I generally wouldn't have too bad a time managing mana with Promethean) so I'm using a lot more mana per kill still. The corpse explosion spell is really awful and does something like 1/8th the damage of Explosive Rune right now. I'm hoping it scales well with magic power or something. If not I'm just holding out hope that the 6th rank spell (miasma cloud) is strong enough to handle my AoE.

Still, the self-healing spell is quite good, and with that and Vampirism (and soon resurrected zombies to beat on at rank 5 Fleshsmithing) I feel quite a bit less squishy than my other mage. Maybe once I level up more and I can afford to get to the higher ranks of Necro with MoC I'll have the HP/resists and healing to make more use of it. Unfortunately both really good AoE spells in these lines appear to be rank 6 spells so I don't know if I'll even have both of them before like floor 8 or 9, so I can't say that Necro seems very viable for GR + P playthroughs. I approve of Fleshsmithing so far though, at least with Vampirism. The heal is going to be very useful when my mana reserves are more plentiful.

erragal

Wallach said:
The nerf to Obvious Fireball is good, though if they didn't tweak Explosive Rune it is probably still going to leave Promethean Magic as the premier damage dealing spell line.

The fix to enemy ranged attacks is going to make things a lot harder, though. Floors like the third will be quite a bit trickier to handle as it's full of Octos and Djinnis.

I've been mucking around with a different build:

Staves, Vampirism, Fleshsmithing, Necronomiconomics, Mage Training, Blood Mage, Ley Walker

I'll say this: Necro is fucking useless at the start of GR + P. You do a crap ton of damage to yourself on the first use without Mark of Cthon, and even on floor 3 I basically don't use it whatsoever. I am using 4 points already in Fleshsmithing and it's... okay. The first damage spell is actually kind of nice if you're doing some melee because it makes them take a lot more damage and deal less. Thing is, I'm still having mana issues on floor 3 (whereas I generally wouldn't have too bad a time managing mana with Promethean) so I'm using a lot more mana per kill still. The corpse explosion spell is really awful and does something like 1/8th the damage of Explosive Rune right now. I'm hoping it scales well with magic power or something. If not I'm just holding out hope that the 6th rank spell (miasma cloud) is strong enough to handle my AoE.

Still, the self-healing spell is quite good, and with that and Vampirism (and soon resurrected zombies to beat on at rank 5 Fleshsmithing) I feel quite a bit less squishy than my other mage. Maybe once I level up more and I can afford to get to the higher ranks of Necro with MoC I'll have the HP/resists and healing to make more use of it. Unfortunately both really good AoE spells in these lines appear to be rank 6 spells so I don't know if I'll even have both of them before like floor 8 or 9, so I can't say that Necro seems very viable for GR + P playthroughs. I approve of Fleshsmithing so far though, at least with Vampirism. The heal is going to be very useful when my mana reserves are more plentiful.

Zombies aren't very exciting for where you get them in the tree. You can summon them with Bony Wands and their health doesn't scale well. They still have more health than the Robot in Golemancy though. The pets in general don't seem to be particularly useful for damage purposes past floor 5; I think some sort of pet scaling stat and maybe even upping the limit to 2 might make it a bit more reasonable.

Necronomiconomics is rough to rely on early unless you can get really lucky on necromantic resistance. Astrology pairs really well with it, however, due to the buff to your necro resistance. The pair together are actually an interesting combo in a more melee oriented caster build.

The game is a lot of fun but the skill balance is REALLY poor right now; outside of the Promethean like every spell tree has several really weak abilities. A few rogue/warrior sub abilities could use some work; the weapon skills definitely seem the most well balanced between each other.

Volodja

Wallach said:
I'll say this: Necro is fucking useless at the start of GR + P. You do a crap ton of damage to yourself on the first use without Mark of Cthon, and even on floor 3 I basically don't use it whatsoever.
Yeah, I dropped my Necro mage. It worked, I had a way to lessen the inpact to both mana and life that my spells dealt to me unless I abused them (the maluses not only stack, but get even worse), but it just wasn't that fun, I had to wait far too long between encounters.
It was better than my try with Golemancy but still pretty tedious, ended up killing myself by attacking Brax.

I'll go with Vampirism/Staves/Fleshsmithing and some other school now because I'm fed up with these incredibly slow burning builds I've tried recently.

erragal

Volodja said:
Yeah, I dropped my Necro mage. It worked, I had a way to lessen the inpact to both mana and life that my spells dealt to me unless I abused them (the maluses not only stack, but get even worse), but it just wasn't that fun, I had to wait far too long between encounters.
It was better than my try with Golemancy but still pretty tedious, ended up killing myself by attacking Brax.

I'll go with Vampirism/Staves/Fleshsmithing and some other school now because I'm fed up with these incredibly slow burning builds I've tried recently.

Golemancy is actually really incredible if you get to Thaumite. I like it far better than Fleshcrafting, personally. My build tonight is going to be Golemancy, Psionics, Mathemagics with Mage Training/Blood Mage/Wand lore and maybe a trap skill (F those traps). Trying to do a viable pure caster without the crutch of Promethean. Ley Walking is another severely underpowered skill; unless it's doing something behind the scenes you can easily replicate its' bonus with just one half-decent piece of gear; and it's not even close to blood magic for usefulness.

Berksy

DMPrince said:
YES.
i tried to throw a raw steak in the grill and nothing. glad they are patching this in lol.

They told on their site lots of people tried that, iirc. So they added to the game.

Toma said:
You can make an omelette with 4 eggs though.

You need the Ingot press I believe.

Yes. It gives like 40HP. You can make a toast with cheese and bread too :D

Volodja

erragal said:
Golemancy is actually really incredible if you get to Thaumite. I like it far better than Fleshcrafting, personally. My build tonight is going to be Golemancy, Psionics, Mathemagics with Mage Training/Blood Mage/Wand lore and maybe a trap skill (F those traps). Trying to do a viable pure caster without the crutch of Promethean. Ley Walking is another severely underpowered skill; unless it's doing something behind the scenes you can easily replicate its' bonus with just one half-decent piece of gear; and it's not even close to blood magic for usefulness.
I must be the only person that didn't find any success with the Thaumite Swarm then.
As I said in some previous posts, for some reason a square would have a swarm and a monster on it but the monster wouldn't be attacked. The result at the first monster zoo was disastrous, a potentially infinite source of death inside the room became just a spot like any other most of the time. Maybe the monster must move on the square when the Swarm is already spawned there (which would be pretty weird) but that in itself would be a problem because the swarm sometimes takes a couple turns before spawning where the target died, giving time for the monster to jump on that spot without being affected.
Did I mismanage it?
However all the way up to that spell was kind of dreadful as a pure mage for me so I don't know if I want to do it again.

erragal

Volodja said:
I must be the only person that didn't find any success with the Thaumite Swarm then.
As I said in some previous posts, for some reason a square would have a swarm and a monster on it but the monster wouldn't be attacked. The result at the first monster zoo was disastrous, a potentially infinite source of death inside the room became just a spot like any other most of the time. Maybe the monster must move on the square when the Swarm is already spawned there (which would be pretty weird) but that in itself would be a problem because the swarm sometimes takes a couple turns before spawning where the target died, giving time for the monster to jump on that spot without being affected.
Did I mismanage it?
However all the way up to that spell was kind of dreadful as a pure mage for me so I don't know if I want to do it again.

You want to throw out more than one hard casted one for a zoo room to make sure you get them multiplying faster. Golemancy also has wall building so you can block the entrance and be safe (pending how the new ranged enemies go :p).

As for surviving the first few level ups: Wand Lore and pets are your friend. It's a bit slow going but any of the pets can single handedly win the first two floors for you; they can be annoying when their AI logic fails and they take 5 hits without attacking back but for the most part they're fairly tough early. Getting any of the decent damage wands (Laser, Fiery, Rock) with the Wand Lore recharge skill is another easy way to get your first couple of levels. Tentacle wand is always fun too :)

Volodja

erragal said:
You want to throw out more than one hard casted one for a zoo room to make sure you get them multiplying faster. Golemancy also has wall building so you can block the entrance and be safe (pending how the new ranged enemies go :p).
I did exactly that, or at least tried. I casted the swarms basically in a horizontal line.
All the swarms killed the single dude I casted them on originally and then ended up on the ground with another monster on it, not attacking it.
After a while I just run out of mana and got overrun because without killing anything I didn't have any blood magic return.
I'm starting to think that the game got wierd on me now.
erragal said:
As for surviving the first few level ups: Wand Lore and pets are your friend. It's a bit slow going but any of the pets can single handedly win the first two floors for you; they can be annoying when their AI logic fails and they take 5 hits without attacking back but for the most part they're fairly tough early. Getting any of the decent damage wands (Laser, Fiery, Rock) with the Wand Lore recharge skill is another easy way to get your first couple of levels. Tentacle wand is always fun too :)
The problem was not surviving, I managed to survive just fine without ever really being in trouble, the summon and the walls keep you safe, the problem is that it was too slow so I don't really want to do it again.

Daigoro

just bought it. didnt know the sale was ending today, so good timing.

now waiting on that patch. looking forward to checking the game out.

edit: just finished the tutorial. its good!

erragal

Volodja said:
I did exactly that, or at least tried. I casted the swarms basically in a horizontal line.
All the swarms killed the single dude I casted them on originally and then ended up on the ground with another monster on it, not attacking it.
After a while I just run out of mana and got overrun because without killing anything I didn't have any blood magic return.
I'm starting to think that the game got wierd on me now.

The problem was not surviving, I managed to survive just fine without ever really being in trouble, the summon and the walls keep you safe, the problem is that it was too slow so I don't really want to do it again.

That is really weird. I've definitely killed myself for standing on a thaumite swarm that I hadn't seen and kited multiple enemies through patches to avoid wasting mana. Not sure if blood mage actually triggers off it; should because it triggers from pet kills.

I understand not wanting to go that slow though; none of the casters are very straightforward outside of promethean. I liked the staff melee abilities; biggest problem with a one weapon build is how dependent you are on random drops or shop items to be successful.

Volodja

erragal said:
That is really weird. I've definitely killed myself for standing on a thaumite swarm that I hadn't seen and kited multiple enemies through patches to avoid wasting mana. Not sure if blood mage actually triggers off it; should because it triggers from pet kills.

I understand not wanting to go that slow though; none of the casters are very straightforward outside of promethean. I liked the staff melee abilities; biggest problem with a one weapon build is how dependent you are on random drops or shop items to be successful.
Yeah, the casters aside from promethean tend to be pretty slow and tricky, utilizing whatever there is to your advantage at the beginning, especially the traps (I love dancing around enemies making them trigger the darts), and that's good but Golemancy topped my limit as far as slow pacing goes, there was too much waiting around for enough mana to cast the pet, then to create the walls, then to aid him with your blade spell. I can't figure why the promethen pet costs so much less than the Golemancy one.

And the whole thing about the Swarm is wierd. I've seen enemies catch it when they ended up on it when the swarm was already there, but as I said, I fear that the problem was that they were standing on it before the swarm respawned aftert a kill but if I'm the only one noticing something like this maybe it was just something going wrong on my side, after all I don't think this would be the intended way for the spell to work.

Does anybody feel they get a TON more hp on a mage than on a warrior? I've been reading gas lamps forums and it's coming up a lot now where people have the same HP on a low level mage/rogue as a higher leveled warrior with stats that should give the warrior an obvious hp boost. Kinda don't want to play a melee character until that's been resolved since I always felt gimped (plus i didn't have my fireball to melt monster zoos).

erragal

picklecannon said:
Does anybody feel they get a TON more hp on a mage than on a warrior? I've been reading gas lamps forums and it's coming up a lot now where people have the same HP on a low level mage/rogue as a higher leveled warrior with stats that should give the warrior an obvious hp boost. Kinda don't want to play a melee character until that's been resolved since I always felt gimped (plus i didn't have my fireball to melt monster zoos).

This is definitely true. There's an issue with the way the game calculates your HP based on all of your stats; they're increased depending on your archetype rankings. Since rogues and mages utilize more stats they get bonuses to more and this gives them higher HP than warriors. I'm not sure if they're the ones that are broken though. Burliness is supposed to contribute more to HP according to the description and that doesn't really seem to be the case. Even with that problem melee characters are still much easier to play than non-promethean casters or rogues so I wouldn't let it deter you.

Didn't even know this was possible, I crapped myself when this happened:

vbbsq.png

I think I'm going to use my bolt of Mass Destruction. HERE GOES NOTHING!

Few thoughts:

This game could really use a 'run-until-bullshit-happens' button, like in Stone Soup. It gets pretty tedious clearing out the last few rooms of a floor because the walking animation is kind of slow. Or even just an option to turn the walking animation off. That would be awesome for me.

I wish the content was more random. On the first floor, you always see the same monsters, the size is always the same and the shape is predictable. I never come across really fortunate or really unfortunate scenarios, at least not to the degree that you can in Stone Soup. Once you see what can happen on the first floor, nothing else really happens(just using first floor as an example). This makes getting new characters going kind of tedious. Changing this would be less simple than my previous request of course.

There should be skills or items to increase your inventory space. That would be cool.

There should a handy interface for selling to catman, gets kind of tedious dragging.

Wallach

Volodja said:

Now that I'm on floor 6, I'm starting to change my mind about Necro, actually.

The rank 2 spell (Nightmare Curse) is actually quite powerful and can pretty much be spammed indefinitely. It's not a monster zoo clearer, but for everything else it's very strong and the cost is only mana/mana pool, not health. That is much easier to counteract as you get higher in lvl and probably would have been smarter to go into early up to rank 2. I was scared off by the first spell having health cost instead, I figured they were all like that. I think now that I'm around level 14 and have significant stats, I can probably afford more health-cost Necro spells if I lean on the Fleshsmithing heal. It's a fairly cheap cast for the healing, and obviously I don't need to spend much actual mana on the Necro spells.

I did get up to the rank 6 Fleshsmithing spell, and it's okay. The cost is fairly high, but it does solid damage in a 3x3 square for something like 25 turns. I've been using it mostly to clear monster zoos, it's just a little harder to clear out the first row compared to Promethean (which I'm currently fixing as I go further into Necro). I'm interested to see what the rank 6 Necro spell really does damage wise, but I don't know if I'll get there. That is even if the patch works with my current save, hah.

On a side note, this has been the absolute worst luck I've had with gear ever, so it's not helping my little mage build experiment. I have not found a single shop item worth buying in the first 5 floors, so my zorkmids are piling up very fast (something like 50k right now). I've spent some of the overflow on waters at a couple vending machines just to unload some of it.

Edit - I forgot to mention, Potions of Purity and Zodiac Wands are really useful for Necro because they clear the full stack of your debuffs off no matter how high you've stacked them. So it's very easy to unload a lot of spells then wipe the debuff stack to get out of touchy situations.

Volodja

Wallach said:
Now that I'm on floor 6, I'm starting to change my mind about Necro, actually.

The rank 2 spell (Nightmare Curse) is actually quite powerful and can pretty much be spammed indefinitely. It's not a monster zoo clearer, but for everything else it's very strong and the cost is only mana/mana pool, not health. That is much easier to counteract as you get higher in lvl and probably would have been smarter to go into early up to rank 2. I was scared off by the first spell having health cost instead, I figured they were all like that. I think now that I'm around level 14 and have significant stats, I can probably afford more health-cost Necro spells if I lean on the Fleshsmithing heal. It's a fairly cheap cast for the healing, and obviously I don't need to spend much actual mana on the Necro spells.
The Necro spells are indeed quite powerful if you can suffer their downsides. At the beginning that could be a problem, but later on it becomes much easier, I suppose.
However when I tried spamming the second curse against a group of mobs I noticed that the debuffs on further casts seem to be more than just cumulative but they get worse and worse. After casting the spell a 4 times back to back I had a maximum pool of 10 mana and debuffs to a few of my base stats.

Conciliator said:
Few thoughts:

This game could really use a 'run-until-bullshit-happens' button, like in Stone Soup. It gets pretty tedious clearing out the last few rooms of a floor because the walking animation is kind of slow. Or even just an option to turn the walking animation off. That would be awesome for me.

You can actually adjust the game speed with the + and - keys. Pressing + a couple times definitely speeds things up quite a bit.

Wallach

Volodja said:
The Necro spells are indeed quite powerful if you can suffer their downsides. At the beginning that could be a problem, but later on it becomes much easier, I suppose.
However when I tried spamming the second curse against a group of mobs I noticed that the debuffs on further casts seem to be more than just cumulative but they get worse and worse. After casting the spell a 4 times back to back I had a maximum pool of 10 mana and debuffs to a few of my base stats.

From what I can tell so far, you only seem to get one stack of the bigger debuff if you use a particular spell more than a couple times in succession, but the lesser debuff stacks on itself. Where I'm at right now, it's very simple to just wait out the bigger debuff (which lasts maybe 6 turns) and not worry much about the other stacking debuff since it is pretty minor. I've got a couple Zodiac Wands and I think 6 Potions of Purity in case I really need to clear the full stack for some reason. I'm curious to see how Mark of Chthon lessens the effect of the debuff (if it does at all). If so it probably would have been better to stop at the heal in Fleshsmithing to get farther in Necro faster. The zombie skill in Fleshsmithing is absolute ass and I don't think the Miasma Cloud at rank 6 is worth that lost point if the rank 6 Necro AoE is as good as people claim.

Sarcasm

How do you guys manage your inventory? I been collecting everything but armor/weapons. Out of space..got stuff like salt, gold, ingots..etc...

erragal

Owlowiscious said:
Read about it and tried it out. Unarmed + Shield skills. Dual wield shields :D

Very awesome build. Astrology is great for it early. Biggest issue is damage, you need to get lucky on your gear/Anvils but it's relatively easy to be crazy defensive. Master of Arms is also almost a must.

Qwomo

My biggest gripe with the game so far is that gear doesn't show up on the character. I wanna see my traffic cone helmet, dammit!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
THE PATCH IS FINALLY OUTTTTTT.

Thank god, I can (hopefully) play without crashes.

Toma

Sinatar said:
New patch made the game super crashy for me now. Never had a crash prior.

The patch is out like a minute and you already had super crashy experiences?

TheBez

Thanks to Sye D'burns for trading me this game. I decided to play three games and chronicle them!

Game 1 score 496
Did poorly since I did not know controls 100% so I did the tutorial.
Skills: Berserker Rage, Artful Dodger, Blood Mage, Deadshot, Mathemagic, Magic Training, and Promethean Magic

Game 2 Score 140
Skills (Random): Archery, Thrown Weapons, Vampirism, Mathemagic, Magic Training, Fungal Arts, and Archaeology
Started with a ton of health items that I just couldn't use due to vampirism. Vampirism absolutely wrecked me this round :(

Game 3 Score 2880
Skills: Dual Wielding, Astrology, Shield Bearer, Fungal Arts, Viking Wizardry. Artful Dodger, and Golemancy
I'm not happy with the way I died. I died because I tried to move to a square and ended up picking up an item I did not see there. My best run yet though!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Toma said:
The patch is out like a minute and you already had super crashy experiences?

Well it crashes whenever I load my save game and it crashed 2 times when I tried making a new guy and played for a few minutes, so yea.

Toma

Sinatar said:
Well it crashes whenever I load my save game and it crashed 2 times when I tried making a new guy and played for a few minutes, so yea.

Yeah they mentioned that save games might not be compatible. Strange if it happens with a new game too. Maybe it bugged something after you tried loading your save.

SamVimes

TheBez said:
Game 3 Score 2880
Skills: Dual Wielding, Astrology, Shield Bearer, Fungal Arts, Viking Wizardry. Artful Dodger, and Golemancy
I'm not happy with the way I died. I died because I tried to move to a square and ended up picking up an item I did not see there. My best run yet though!
Why would you pick dual wielding and shield bearer? Drop one of them and choose a weapon instead.

TheBez

SamVimes said:
Why would you pick dual wielding and shield bearer? Drop one of them and choose a weapon instead.
Hmm thought I read somewhere you could dual wield shields and be pretty defensive while using stuff like shield bashes and whatnot for damage.

Hanzou

TheBez said:
Hmm thought I read somewhere you could dual wield shields and be pretty defensive while using stuff like shield bashes and whatnot for damage.

apparently that does work, have not done that myself

chixdiggit said:
So about the pig... How exactly do I buy/sell/steal from him? How tough is he if I get caught stealing?

Buying is done by clicking on any of the items that are on display. Selling is done by dragging an item onto him and dropping it. Stealing is done by clicking on an item that's on display and picking it up. If you get caught stealing he summons a non-stop stream of dread collectors for that floor only which are probably equivalent to floor 6-7 mobs, both in hp and damage (not sure if they scale or if they're always this strong, only stole from him once)

TheBez said:

This does work, but you don't actually need dual-wielding to do it. Dual-wielding is only bonuses that refer to using two weapons. You're better off with shield bearer and unarmed.

New patch! Has 50 more achievements or so and QUICK SELL MODE. Pretty exciting. Also apparently crashes less often.

However, I wasn't able to load my character from the previous version. Anyway have similar luck?

Incidentally, I died AGAIN due to overconfidence re: acid traps on the second floor.

Damn the patch added a whole load of new crafting recipes. I think I'm going to try a melee dual wielder with smithing and fungal arts for vampirism without the no eating food thing.

you don't need the skill "Dual Wielding" to wear two shields. You just equip shields in the two weapon slots.

Since you don't have a weapon, regular attacks will be kicking. Unarmed skill can enhance this kicking.

Wallach

Well, the patch does indeed invalidate old save files. I did however get an achievement for crashing when trying to load it, haha.

That said, I'm not mad about it. I'm going to try the Vamp/Necro/Flesh mage again but will try to get rank 2 Necro earlier.

How fat is the nerf to Obvious Fireball? I can see they raised the mana cost.

picklecannon said:
Damn the patch added a whole load of new crafting recipes. I think I'm going to try a melee dual wielder with smithing and fungal arts for vampirism without the no eating food thing.

Does fungal arts let you eat food as a vampire?

Wallach

LocoMrPollock said:
Does fungal arts let you eat food as a vampire?

No, but you can eat mushrooms still. There are mushrooms that basically do anything alchemy potions do, and with Fungal Arts you collect a metric ton of them as you play (if you can handle the tedium of spore spreading).

What is the point of the spore thing for fungal arts? I found it's good for the horadric lutefisk thing, but does it have another purpose?

jayTOH

Conciliator said:
What is the point of the spore thing for fungal arts? I found it's good for the horadric lutefisk thing, but does it have another purpose?

Have you been planting them in the bodies of your defeated foes or in dirt patches? They grow random shrooms after four or five turns.

Top Bottom