• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyad (PSN) |OT| - Psychedelic Sensory Overload

My favourite review type thingy of Dyad so far:

its taking all of my fucking willpower not to just MASH DYADDYAYDAYDYAYDYAYDAYDYADAYDYAYDYADYAYDYAYDASYDYASDYSAYFSDHGKJSDLUHWEALISGJESR;JHGOPIESRDJGEWRSIG

oh wait i just did it, well THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT MY WILLPOWER!

just like it was WORTH IT to get a compound fracture because the bike ride home with my bone hanging out of my arm before the pain started was INSANE but mostly because i got the big stuffed dog toy home

just like it was WORHT IT to take wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too many shrooms at furcon and think i was pregnant with freddy kruegers antichrist baby and furries dressed the way they did because they were preparing for the next ice age

just like it was WORTH IT to get hit on the ass 300 times with a foam bat and not be able to sit for two weeks because of the feeling of absolute heaven and begging for more through tears

i don’t want to give more examples because i don’t have fucking patience for myself and you get the point

Madness.

http://www.poopdoggyballs.com/?p=3900#comments

Odrion

Banned
The Dyad guy seems like a cool person. I like how he got a Platinum Trophy by sticking to his guns.

This is a game that needs to run on John Carmack's VR goggles.

Flambe

Typing with baby (new Dyad player in a few years?!) on lap so this won't be as long as I'd hope.

Basically I can't wait to play this game, I'm very impressed with Shawn's answers on here and wanting to connect with the community. It's also very inspiring to see someone fulfill such a goal largely (though with some great help) on their own so kudos to you Shawn.

Saw the Giantbomb quicklook...I don't understand AT ALL what's happening on screen but it looked and sounded awesome ^^; Hoping it'll make sense with a controller in hand =D

tch

This game is amazing. So amazing. It's so awesome that I might buy it just to support the team even though I got a free code. Man is it a beating though. So hard. But worth it. For the awesome that is DYAD.

I really hope that Grace Chen hits the button soon so that you all may experience it as soon as possible!

Apdiddy

This looks absolutely amazing based on what I saw from the Giant Bomb Quick Look. Tempest meets Rez after partying with the PixelJunk crew. PSN is really hitting it out of the park with its releases this year.

I'm hoping the gameplay is really good and I have a feeling it will be. Any chance of a PC digital download release or even 3DS (it would melt my brain to see it on the 3DS but I don't think it's powerful enough to run it without taking something out)?

Zia

Paste reviewed Dyad:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2012/07/dyad-review-playstation-3.html

You quit blinking. Your eyes water and your palms sweat and your mouth fills with saliva like Pavlov’s dog as your mind tries to parse all the sensory input. The distinction between your lure and the environment and the enemies breaks down. You observe the chaos, audiovisual and tactile, rumbling feedback that blend together. You think you can see a pattern. Is it apophenia? Do you even have time to parse it? What are you even doing?

Thanks, now I just need someone to give me a code!
3AQmK.gif

Roto13

I'm finding it difficult to describe this game. It's very unique. "You play as this thing with tentacles, see, and you have to hook onto things to propel yourself through these bright colourful tube levels and then some triangles fly up and hit you in the face"

Cudder

Would it be wise to buy this game without any knowledge of it whatsoever/not having seen a gameplay video on it?

The only thing I know about it is that it's colourful.

LuuKyK

I don't understand it actually. How do you play it? Just watched the GB quick look and yeah, I am not sure yet. Seems interesting.

Roto13

I don't understand it actually. How do you play it? Just watched the GB quick look and yeah, I am not sure yet. Seems interesting.

Ha ha, yeah, you'll basically never know what's going on as you watch it. My husband saw me playing it and he was like "I have no idea what you're doing." You kind of have to be in the driver's seat.

Basically (VERY basically), you zoom through a colourful tube and grapple onto glowing spheres to propel yourself forward and move faster. Grappling two spheres of the same colour in a row will give you a bigger speed boost.

There's more to it than that, and new mechanics are introduced all the way through the game, but that's pretty much what the game is on its most basic level.

LuuKyK

Ha ha, yeah, you'll basically never know what's going on as you watch it. My husband saw me playing it and he was like "I have no idea what you're doing." You kind of have to be in the driver's seat.

Basically (VERY basically), you zoom through a colourful tube and grapple onto glowing spheres to propel yourself forward and move faster. Grappling two spheres of the same colour in a row will give you a bigger speed boost.

There's more to it than that, and new mechanics are introduced all the way through the game, but that's pretty much what the game is on its most basic level.

Oh, thanks for that! haha So you basically will only use the d-pad and the X button?

kassatsu

Banned

You hook pairs (dyads) to gain speed. Each level has a different goal: some are a race, some are survival, some have you doing a certain number of things.

They layer on different things as you play. Hooking -> Grazing -> Lancing -> Zip Lines -> Immunities.

Grazing happens when you hook an orb. It sorta fans out and when you go through that area you build meter. Once you have enough meter you can Lance.

Lancing is your only way to "attack". By lancing you can go through orbs without slowing down. Lance extenders and Blockers get added later so you have to hit and avoid certain things.

Zip Lines happen when you hook two triads (orbs of three). This is a highway that helps you gain speed much faster.

Immunity is what it seems like, certain orbs will hurt you.

Oh, thanks for that! haha So you basically will only use the d-pad and the X button?

Or analog stick

LuuKyK

You hook pairs (dyads) to gain speed. Each level has a different goal: some are a race, some are survival, some have you doing a certain number of things.

They layer on different things as you play. Hooking -> Grazing -> Lancing -> Zip Lines -> Immunities.

Grazing happens when you hook an orb. It sorta fans out and when you go through that area you build meter. Once you have enough meter you can Lance.

Lancing is your only way to "attack". By lancing you can go through orbs without slowing down. Lance extenders and Blockers get added later so you have to hit and avoid certain things.

Zip Lines happen when you hook two triads (orbs of three). This is a highway that helps you gain speed much faster.

Immunity is what it seems like, certain orbs will hurt you.

Or analog stick

Damn. Sounds complicated! x_x

Well, I am sure this is that kind of game you just "get" by playing it. Will it have a demo maybe?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
One of the things the game does right is pacing. It may sound complicated but it introduces new things at a pace that doesn't overwhelm you. And because of that, it keeps the game fresh throughout the experience

Saw the Giantbomb quicklook...I don't understand AT ALL what's happening on screen but it looked and sounded awesome ^^; Hoping it'll make sense with a controller in hand =D

Yeah, I don't understand it at all either. I found myself wondering who slipped the drugs into my drink...

However, I'm still intrigued. It is up via search, but I see no demo? I thought Shawn said there would be a demo?
Doesn't help me much if the demo comes out after the PSN+ discount expires. As cool as it looks, I'm not dropping $12 on a game I have no idea if I'll like, no matter how cool it looks.

Zia

Gifted my brother-in-law a copy, so we won't be able to get ours until Fri, but I'm excited all the same. Everyone enjoy!

Top Bottom