• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 7 |OT| - GODDAMIT NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
RedSwirl said:
WHY DON'T MORE GAMES DO THIS?! That's what Final Fantasy XIII should have done!

Anyway, you guys talk about these games as if there's some kind of hidden super hardcore complexity, like with Atlas RPGs. I could understand if this was some kind of acquired taste for the super hardcore, but what I'm playing feels like the opposite of that.

Are the Warriors Orichi and Samurai Warriors games a lot deeper than main DW or what?

You know, from your posts in this thread, it sounds like what you're really after is something like Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires, or Samurai Warriors 2: Empires. Basically, the Empires games are like a toned-down version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, with stuff like forming alliances and taking over territories and hiring officers and troops, except the battles play out as Dynasty Warriors style battles that you take an active part in instead of just being skirmishes on a world map.

Not sure which system you're playing DW7 on, but I know both DW5E and SW2E got 360 ports, in addition to the PS2 versions. So yeah, check those out. It sounds like they'd be MUCH more your kind of thing.

Marvie_3 said:
Far more tolerable than the constant "derp derp derp I'm a fatass" or "Me....have....stroke......"

Hate to break it to you, but if anything, Wei Yan speaks even slower in Japanese than he does English.

Pureauthor said:
Hate to break it to you, but if anything, Wei Yan speaks even slower in Japanese than he does English.

One thing that always threw me for a loop was that Zhou Tai speaks somewhat similarly to Wei Yan (tho more slow and deliberate than wild and cave man) in Japanese while he speaks normally in English.

I think people are confusing low quality, inaccurate dubbing with intentionally campy characterizations because they can't understand a goddamn thing in Japanese!

AdawgDaFAB said:
One thing that always threw me for a loop was that Zhou Tai speaks somewhat similarly to Wei Yan (tho more slow and deliberate than wild and cave man) in Japanese while he speaks normally in English.

He's a man of few words, rather than a man of small vocabulary.

pancakesandsex said:
He's a man of few words, rather than a man of small vocabulary.

Indeed! I really liked that about him when I would play DW4 in Japanese or MOZ. Feels so weird hearing him talk normally like everyone else in English now.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Indeed! I really liked that about him when I would play DW4 in Japanese or MOZ. Feels so weird hearing him talk normally like everyone else in English now.

He's still like that in English....

pancakesandsex said:
He's still like that in English....

I'll have to check sometime, but I could have sworn I remember taking him into town to talk to an ally and seeing him have a standard back and forth conversations with them. It might have just been for that one instance, but it just felt weird because it was the very first time I heard his English voice and I wasn't expecting that to happen. I only ever played him with a Japanese voice in DW4 Hyper and Musou Orochi Z. All I am used to is his Japanese voice with his almost "stilted" manner of speech he uses. Thus hearing him talk in complete sentences, without long pauses, just felt strange to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfft3ppQ0_c#t=4m08s would be an example of what I mean where in a slow / deliberate tone he says his name, pauses, then just one word vs "Let us go to battle together". I'm pretty sure the English and Japanese sites used different quotes for the voice samples, so it's not like they replaced what he said with that, but I think that shows what I mean by the different feeling I get from him in English vs Japanese.

Not that it really matters in the end, since I tend to play Musou games while listening to / watching something else anyways, :lol .

Edit: Watching some DW5 videos it seems like he usually does keep a similar pattern of speak, at least in 5. That ally conversation was the only time I've heard his English voice for 7, outside of the website voice clip so I simply assumed he spoke normally like that all the time.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Marvie_3 said:
Stat drops are small. Only +1s and +2s except for a couple rare +4s.

I have a feeling this isn't the case. Stat drops will generally always be the same regardless of difficulty I have found. You can usually 'bump' the quality of the item by getting at least a 6-hit combo on the officer right before he K.O's(+1 becomes +2; +4->+8). This is obviously easier to do on harder difficulties, because on easier settings generals can die long before you even manage a simple combo. I'm currently damn near one-shotting them on Normal now. Just keep in mind that only the 'toughest' battles will ever have generals that drop +4 or above drops(ie. high star battles). It's the same reason they never show up until the late campaign missions either, when the battles get more hectic.

Translation: The game rewards you slightly for finishing generals with a high combo count(juggling etc...). I believe the magic number is 6+ hits pre-KO.

This is all Dynasty Warriors 2 crap that I hated 10 years ago, and am disappointed it's brought back in this entry. You really don't need to concern over it anyway though. When your stats are in the hundreds, a simple modifier won't be that beneficial. Only the crazies will ever take advantage of this stuff to max out the stat meters, something that is never necessary.

What is guaranteed to be improved from higher difficulties in Conquest(even according to the manual) is Fame and Money earned. It is very slight though in my experience(a 350 fame quest reward on Normal turns to 450 on Hard for example).

Hey guys, ignoring his cool hat Wei Yan has always been a big dummy.

Just play Dian Wei like a pro. It's what all the cool kids are doing! ;)

Brandon F - you've convinced me to seek out DW5 today.

Brandon F

The Take Out Bandit said:
Brandon F - you've convinced me to seek out DW5 today.

Still miffed that the DW5 Special port never got localized for the 360 at launch. It would still be the best pure DW game on current consoles. At least in design.

Brandon F said:
Still miffed that the DW5 Special port never got localized for the 360 at launch. It would still be the best pure DW game on current consoles. At least on pure design.

High point for me is Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP. Really dig what was done there.

Plus I get to kick everyone's asses with Dian Wei. EVERYONE! </Stansfield>

We have been getting short sheeted on some US releases of the PS3/360 ports of these games lately. :(

Brandon F

The Take Out Bandit said:
High point for me is Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP. Really dig what was done there.

Plus I get to kick everyone's asses with Dian Wei. EVERYONE! </Stansfield>

We have been getting short sheeted on some US releases of the PS3/360 ports of these games lately. :(

Orochi 2 was good. I didn't care for the character switching(ultimately pointless, like weapons in this game) or the 'Tec/Spd/Pwr' differentiation for heroes. But the rest was great.

Is there a reason why certain characters are grouped in particular kingdoms? For example,
Sun Shang Xiang should pretty much be a Shu character at this point, and Xiahou Ba does pretty much nothing for Wei before he defects to Shu.
Is it just tradition or for keeping the character counts fairly equal?

Anyone else digging the new weapons? I haven't found a good Flying Swords yet but it's fun to use, as is the Flail and the Lance. Oh, and the Great Sword although that was in the series previously. It's also great that you can place them on a character with a boring standard weapon, or someone like Sima Shi who is stuck with a useless (?) Rapier.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Today I learned that the KO count tops out at 9999.

West side of Zhang Xiu's castle during the Cao Cao campaign (north side of the room where you first encounter balistas and flame statues) is great for racking up the K.O.s!

Also, I haven't found a compelling reason not to use the Pike or something similar because of its room clearing ability. Unless the officer has a 1-star rating for it anyway.

Shadow780

I like one long weapon and one short weapon since short weapons usually holds more seals, also good for dueling and style on officers. Of course some long weapons like Lance is so top tier that it really isn't necessary to switch weapons. So short weapons are more of a seal holder.

Brandon F

Yikes, the achievement grind is worse than I expected. Several require maxing out your bonds with everyone in Conquest mode. Essentially, congeniality will always be taking a precious weapon slot to help, and 'skill point boost' for the characters you didn't max skill trees for in story mode(a real slog for new unlocked characters). It's bloody hell given how slow they fill even using sworn allies to boost.

Hopefully one of the 5-red star maps on Hard/Chaos difficulty makes the treadmill a bit easier.

Also answering 500 trivia questions correctly for an ultimate weapon(tied to a couple other achievements) is also punishing to motivation.

Marvie_3

Banned
Brandon F said:
Also answering 500 trivia questions correctly for an ultimate weapon(tied to a couple other achievements) is also punishing to motivation.
Just mash the A button for awhile. I got sick of trying to answer them all.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Brandon F said:
Yikes, the achievement grind is worse than I expected. Several require maxing out your bonds with everyone in Conquest mode. Essentially, congeniality will always be taking a precious weapon slot to help, and 'skill point boost' for the characters you didn't max skill trees for in story mode(a real slog for new unlocked characters). It's bloody hell given how slow they fill even using sworn allies to boost.

Hopefully one of the 5-red star maps on Hard/Chaos difficulty makes the treadmill a bit easier.

Also answering 500 trivia questions correctly for an ultimate weapon(tied to a couple other
achievements) is also punishing to motivation.

Ugh, add another to the pile of games I won't be getting a platinum for (DW6: Empires is my only one!)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Brandon F said:

Yeah. After taking all the factors you just mentioned into account, I think I'm going to abandon my attempt at Platinum'ing this. So much of it is just busy work with no real purpose. Honestly I doubt I even finish Conquest Mode. I'm really just not having that much fun with it. Having to max out everyone's skill tree as part of the requirements for the Platinum especially kills my motivation to play. Doing that would mean spending an inordinate amount of time playing as characters I don't even like. And even with two Skill Points Up seals AND the one that each character already has in their skill tree, that still means beating over 100 officers (in some cases 200 or more) to max out one characters tree. And what's the point of doing that if you're never going to use them again?

And don't even get me started on Bonds. It's like the Friendship system in DW Gundam 2, except even more useless (at least friendship levels were requirements to unlock License Missions in that). And in Gundam, at least you could just spam that quiz to get the Friendship thing done and over with fairly quickly.

So yeah. I think I'm just about done with this. I got my 40 hours out of it. Shame though, I think 40 hours is the lowest amount of time I've gotten out of a Warriors game before I got tired of it. Well, save for 6 Empires, but that doesn't really count. In a way I haven't figured out yet...>_>

It's not taking long for me to max out bonds. Two Congeniality seals, hiring people from the merchant, and running rescue/defend missions. Bonds shoot up fast. Skill points are a slow climb, though.

Marvie_3

Banned
Attack You said:
It's not taking long for me to max out bonds. Two Congeniality seals, hiring people from the merchant, and running rescue/defend missions. Bonds shoot up fast. Skill points are a slow climb, though.
How do you get 2 of the same seal on someone?

Totally forgot about hiring people.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Marvie_3 said:
How do you get 2 of the same seal on someone?

Totally forgot about hiring people.

Put the seal on both of your weapons. The seals on your second weapon are still in effect, even if you're not using it.

Xater

My favorite character so far is Xiahou Dun. Dude is a total badass.

Can soeone explain to me what exactly the Axe EX attack does? It doesn't seem to be an attack or maybe I did notice it doing damage.

I just finished Jin (after Shu). Some great characters in that group too, although I was a little disappointed that
nothing apparently came out of the Deng Ai/Zhong Hui rivalry

And I think I answered my previous question by looking up the real history, apparently they were with Shu for a comparatively very short time.

MoxManiac

Xater said:
My favorite character so far is Xiahou Dun. Dude is a total badass.

Can soeone explain to me what exactly the Axe EX attack does? It doesn't seem to be an attack or maybe I did notice it doing damage.

Axe ex for who? Dian Wei?

SiegfriedFM said:
I just finished Jin (after Shu). Some great characters in that group too, although I was a little disappointed that
nothing apparently came out of the Deng Ai/Zhong Hui rivalry

And I think I answered my previous question by looking up the real history, apparently they were with Shu for a comparatively very short time.

Jin's story ends basically in 263 with
Shu's surrender
instead of going until the end of the period in 280
with the defeat of Wu

Basically what happened was
after Shu's surrender many of their officers started working with the Sima led Wei. In 264, Jiang Wei convinced Zhong Hui to rebel against Wei, with the hopes that Zhong would kill off all the high ranking Wei officers and then he could then kill Zhong and declare Shu's independence again. Deng Ai was killed as a result of this rebellion, but the plan backfired leading to the death of both Jiang Wei and Zhong Hui.

Some of this is covered in Legend battles from what I've been told (played them in Japanese so IDK what they actually covered).

Brandon F

You can always pause the game and look at the weapon description(y on 360) to see a description of what the ex moves do.

Iirc Dian Wei gains a temp boost to atk power with his ex. Again just check the weapon screen to see exactly.

Brandon F

Oh and I can confirm that it's 8 hits to get the upgraded stat drops from enemy officers. An npc in one of the later towns in conquest mode says as such. I tested it out and it's accurate.

Brandon F said:
Oh and I can confirm that it's 8 hits to get the upgraded stat drops from enemy officers. An npc in one of the later towns in conquest mode says as such. I tested it out and it's accurate.

8 hits gets you from +1 to +2.
16 hits gets you from +2 to +4.

I'm guessing 24 is what you need for a +4 to +8 but I haven't found a stage I could test this out in yet.

Thing is, you can only "upgrade" a stat drop once. So if the person you kill was going to drop a +1, you could get a 125 hit combo and they would still only drop a +2.

Brandon F

AdawgDaFAB said:
8 hits gets you from +1 to +2.
16 hits gets you from +2 to +4.

I'm guessing 24 is what you need for a +4 to +8 but I haven't found a stage I could test this out in yet.

Thing is, you can only "upgrade" a stat drop once. So if the person you kill was going to drop a +1, you could get a 125 hit combo and they would still only drop a +2.

I presume it was just as you said in the final line. Each Officer has a set drop that can only be upgraded once with an 8-hit combo. I don't think the 16/24 hit upgrades even occur. Not certain, but I've yet to ever encounter a difference in upgrade between an 8 and a thousand-hit combo. Using a bow weapon, it is easy to rack up 30+ hits with ease on the final blow against officers, and nothing beyond the single tier upgrade has ever occurred.

In the end it's still a stupid holdover from the antiquated DW2 a decade ago.

I've tested the 16 hit one to make sure. Did an arena stage where they all drop +2s normally. Did a 15 hit combo and got a +2, did a 16 hit combo and got a +4.

Brandon F

AdawgDaFAB said:
I've tested the 16 hit one to make sure. Did an arena stage where they all drop +2s normally. Did a 15 hit combo and got a +2, did a 16 hit combo and got a +4.

Ah, ok.

This might not be the right thread for this, but...would this be a good entry in the series for someone who has little to no experience with it? I recently got Samurai Warriors: Chronicles for the 3DS, and have been enjoying it quite a bit.

What are the definitive Dynasty Warriors titles that I should get my hands on?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Necromanti said:
This might not be the right thread for this, but...would this be a good entry in the series for someone who has little to no experience with it? I recently got Samurai Warriors: Chronicles for the 3DS, and have been enjoying it quite a bit.

What are the definitive Dynasty Warriors titles that I should get my hands on?

Warriors Orochi 1 & 2
Dynasty Warriors 5
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 (or wait a few months for 3)
Samurai Warriors 2 or 3 (depending on whether or not you can tolerate 3's abysmal framerate).

First and foremost, though, I'd recommend the Orochi games.

Top Bottom