• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 7 |OT| - GODDAMIT NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN!

Brandon F said:
Went to the store with the intention of buying a 3DS, and instead walked out with this game.

Initially the framedrops gave me serious buyers remorse. All of the warnings didn't faze me much, but goddamn that tutorial section was some embarrassing shit. A tiny arena with hardly that many soldiers(sometimes none) and it felt like my 360 was being pushed to its knees. Often to the point that my button inputs felt completely out of sync with the visual lag....in the tutorial stage. Just terrible. As I play the actual game I am conditioning to the fluctuations, but its still far from ideal. GAF is right, Koei should be shamed(is it as bad on PS3?).

Outside of that, the game itself is ok. I'm not at all enjoying this entries brand of character progression. The weapon system isn't as awkward as I imagined, but I'm finding myself merely switching equipment for the sake of unlocking new seals consistently rather than paying mind to the tactical or combat benefits(stars? Pshaw! that lame fan has a seal I haven't earned yet.)

I'm saddened the game has also reverted to the 'skill' bonuses over the return of items/loot. Not a big deal, but I much prefer 'Item Get!' than 'Attack +x!'. Again, meh. This also presumes that difficulty selection is a worthless proposition that only exists for personal pride. I loved the allure of Chaos difficulty in the hopes of earning supreme loot for my heroes in other past entries. I do appreciate that weapon unlocks ARE persistent at least, I abhor it when certain 'Warriors' games adhere to resetting all the moment I switch heroes.

Map gimmicks are great so far, and the Conquest mode is a novel touch. The story mode also may be the most successful rendition in the franchise. I appreciate the constant character swap based on battle scenarios as well as the use of instant story cuts. Again, it all comes down to weapons, so I still find myself playing the 'weapon' game moreso than tending to each heroes unique abilities, but I can only blame my OCD tendencies.

Truly pissed that Sam War 3 XL PS3 won't be arriving here(the game I most want). Troy and that Fist of the North Star game are possibly slightly to blame, Nintendo as well. Much like how DW5 never got a localized Xbox 360 port way back, Koei refuses to give us the best in their library, leaving me to settle for mere adequate games, or worse.

It does the same thing on ps3 yes. You'll get used to it and then it won't matter anymore, but it's really jarring at first. I don't think the people who can't see it have functional eyes.

Mrbob

Samurai Warriors 3 XL isn't coming to USA on PS3? Damn that sucks.

Once I get done with Samurai Warriors 3DS I'll pick this up.

Sqorgar

Banned
Mrbob said:
Samurai Warriors 3 XL isn't coming to USA on PS3? Damn that sucks.
I don't think Koei has said one way or the other. I'd say the chances of getting it are better than average, but not a sure thing due to Orochi Z's failure to appear.

Marvie_3

Banned
Sqorgar said:
I don't think Koei has said one way or the other. I'd say the chances of getting it are better than average, but not a sure thing due to Orochi Z's failure to appear.
I still hope that Orochi Z makes it here......

It's not gonna happen. :(

Even though I kind of hated Warriors Orochi 2 I would buy Z in a second, also Samurai Warriors 3Z.

I'm almost tempted to import, I'll just have to wait for Koei to absolutely positively confirm it's never going to happen.
(Wtf SW3Z is $100+ on ebay. Fuck that)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The more I play, the less I am liking DW7. It's a big, dumb, scaled down rendition of the much superior DW5. It's Omega Force's 'Dragon Age II/Crysis 2'. All fundamentally acceptable game experiences, but arguable downgrades from their predecessors. (Dissapointing month it's been)

Maps essentially funnel you between major objectives(a staple), but unlike past games, there is -zero- tactical advantage to help sway the overall flow. No more spawn gates, no branching objectives. No initiative to explore and conquer. I have literally no impact on the scope of these battles, the game points me at who to kill and I follow suit. Dynasty Warriors evolved past this way back in the early 'aughts already. So what the hell?

Character progression is entirely too fiddly with the seals and weapons. I'm already sick of attaching the same few seals to new weapons...which is really the only dangling carrot. Terrible.

I never played DW6, but given that I am ready to call this one of -the- weakest entries in the entire franchise, I can't fathom what Koei did in that trainwreck.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Brandon F said:
Character progression is entirely too fiddly with the seals and weapons. I'm already sick of attaching the same few seals to new weapons...which is really the only dangling carrot. Terrible.

Yup. I hate this as well. I only have roughly 40% of the seals, but I already have almost all of the useful ones. The seal system was a good idea in theory, but in practice it suffers from a lack of variety.

Anyway, finished off Kingdom Mode, finally. Took damn near 40 hours to do so. Now it's on to Conquest Mode, but I'm honestly a bit confused as to how I should tackle it. It SEEMS that the best way would be to just stick with a single character and plow through it. But that's WAY too much to do with just one character. There's tons of characters in the game, some I haven't even unlocked yet. Hell, some of them are buried so deep in the Conquest Mode map that I might as well be maxing out a character just to unlock one character I'd really like to try out (Lian Shi). I don't know...part of me just wants to plow through CM and be done with it, but I'd feel like I was missing out on a lot if I didn't try out more characters.

Brandon F said:
The more I play, the less I am liking DW7. It's a big, dumb, scaled down rendition of the much superior DW5. It's Omega Force's 'Dragon Age II/Crysis 2'. All fundamentally acceptable game experiences, but arguable downgrades from their predecessors. (Dissapointing month it's been)

Maps essentially funnel you between major objectives(a staple), but unlike past games, there is -zero- tactical advantage to help sway the overall flow. No more spawn gates, no branching objectives. No initiative to explore and conquer. I have literally no impact on the scope of these battles, the game points me at who to kill and I follow suit. Dynasty Warriors evolved past this way back in the early 'aughts already. So what the hell?

I never played DW6, but given that I am ready to call this one of -the- weakest entries in the entire franchise, I can't fathom what Koei did in that trainwreck.

I thought I was the only one that noticed the tactical stuff being largely absent from story mode. Can anyone confirm whether or not there is more base capture in conquest?

Brandon F said:

Sounds like Tecmo is ruining Koei from the inside. :\

Thanks for the impressions. It will make waiting for the price drop easier. Though I may pass despite fixed Dian Wei since it sounds like someone is mucking with the recipe.

Shadow780 said:
If they do everything right, what are they gonna do in Xtreme Legends/Empires/DW8? :p

It sounds like what I fundamentally enjoyed about the series in the past is now broken. :\

Koei is on the Capcom trajectory now. Going from a publisher that I would hand over my money with reckless abandon in the past and enjoy whatever the hell it was, to one that poops out poop and makes me sad. :(

The Take Out Bandit said:
It sounds like what I fundamentally enjoyed about the series in the past is now broken. :\

Koei is on the Capcom trajectory now. Going from a publisher that I would hand over my money with reckless abandon in the past and enjoy whatever the hell it was, to one that poops out poop and makes me sad. :(

Story mode is really a completely different beast than the musou mode of yore. I really need to get in some more conquest mode so I can see if the base capture is largely absent there as well. So far it seems like the missions in empires.

Shadow780

Not a fan of base capturing personally, there are still bases just that their functions are reduced this time. They can strengthen their tactical advantages in Empires.

Love the archery damage on Hard and Chaos, the thrill is back again from DW3XL~^

Mrbob

From the description Brandon gives it makes it sound like Dynasty Warriors 7 is now more like Sengoku Basara? I bought the USA release of SB3 on PS3 and like the game, but it is almost all pure action with little to no strategy.

Mrbob said:
From the description Brandon gives it makes it sound like Dynasty Warriors 7 is now more like Sengoku Basara? I bought the USA release of SB3 on PS3 and like the game, but it is almost all pure action with little to no strategy.

It's not really like basara yet, but it's a move in that direction. Basara is still way more linear in it's stage design.

Brandon F

Mrbob said:

It's a competent game. It just doesn't quite deliver what I enjoy out of this franchise as you said. I find it heirs closer to Dynasty Warriors 2, than how the series has evolved over the years. Stat drops and even new weapons don't elicit any real satisfaction, and the skill trees are so slight and quick to max that persistent progression is barely a focus here.

It does excel at delivering maps with occasional environment gimmicks; story mode is huge and forces character variation. Conquest mode can be addictive in a quick burst 'PSP challenge node' kind of way. Actual combat is scaled down from the variety that a Sam Warriors game offers, but it's par for the series.

Without the ebb and flow of battle morale, branching objectives, and other tactical nuance to consider, I can't endorse it. It does all depend on what you want out fo a warriors game though. I haven't played Basara, but I doubt I would get much out of it after a few hours either based on common impressions.

kiryogi

Banned
Fact of the matter is Folken, battle morale is still there. It's just not shown via a gauge anymore.

In regards to 6 though, while it did get a lot wrong like the Renbu system and movesets, they did advance a bit more tactically. Base capturing was key to morale and victory, and they added swimming and climbing.

I can't help but wonder if you would have been happier with SWC. That actually feels like a more complete modern package vs DW7.

Sqorgar

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
Anyway, finished off Kingdom Mode, finally. Took damn near 40 hours to do so. Now it's on to Conquest Mode, but I'm honestly a bit confused as to how I should tackle it. It SEEMS that the best way would be to just stick with a single character and plow through it. But that's WAY too much to do with just one character. There's tons of characters in the game, some I haven't even unlocked yet. Hell, some of them are buried so deep in the Conquest Mode map that I might as well be maxing out a character just to unlock one character I'd really like to try out (Lian Shi). I don't know...part of me just wants to plow through CM and be done with it, but I'd feel like I was missing out on a lot if I didn't try out more characters.
To unlock characters in Conquest, you have to complete their legendary battles - which forces you to play as that specific character. It doesn't matter how powerful your other characters are. The legendary battles tend to be a little easier if it's the first time you can play as a character, but I think the ones which involve characters you unlock through story mode can get pretty difficult. You'll probably want to spend at least a little effort filling out their skill trees and getting better weapons. So the end result is that to play through all of Conquest mode, you'll end up (briefly) playing every single character.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sqorgar said:
To unlock characters in Conquest, you have to complete their legendary battles - which forces you to play as that specific character. It doesn't matter how powerful your other characters are. The legendary battles tend to be a little easier if it's the first time you can play as a character, but I think the ones which involve characters you unlock through story mode can get pretty difficult. You'll probably want to spend at least a little effort filling out their skill trees and getting better weapons. So the end result is that to play through all of Conquest mode, you'll end up (briefly) playing every single character.

I know that. What I mean is that characters like Lian Shi are buried so far down in the CM map that they're surrounded by 6-8 star hexes. Granted I haven't played any of the higher difficulty hexes yet, to know just how hard they are, but it seems that I'm going to need a character who is quite powerful to get through those hexes without much trouble.

Xater

Just received my game and played through the training and the first Wu mission. Game seems cool, but of course I'll have to spend a lot more time with it.

Seraphis Cain said:
I know that. What I mean is that characters like Lian Shi are buried so far down in the CM map that they're surrounded by 6-8 star hexes. Granted I haven't played any of the higher difficulty hexes yet, to know just how hard they are, but it seems that I'm going to need a character who is quite powerful to get through those hexes without much trouble.

Yeah, you'll probably need a levelled up character to tackle them - personally I played Conquest with a single character (Bao Sanniang) until I'd levelled her up sufficiently and got her level 30 weapon (which took me about 1/3 of the conquest map to achieve), at which point I switched to another character. I wish there was some sort of incentive to do the same with every character though.

Xater

I think I am about halfway through the Wu storyline now. At least that's what I would guess from the amount of events I see in Gallery Mode. I love this game so far. Glad I got despite me not being too hot on the whole Chinese storyline in this.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Bootaaay said:
Yeah, you'll probably need a levelled up character to tackle them - personally I played Conquest with a single character (Bao Sanniang) until I'd levelled her up sufficiently and got her level 30 weapon (which took me about 1/3 of the conquest map to achieve), at which point I switched to another character. I wish there was some sort of incentive to do the same with every character though.

Another Bao user?

high-ass_five.jpg

I realize this has has nothing to do wwith DW7, but I figured fans of the genre like yourselves would know best.

I'm looking to find a cheap entry into these games and I can't decide between the latest sengoku Basara game on PS3 or DW strike force on consoles. I love loot and rpgs so strike force seems more appealing, but I read visually and combat wise better things about sengoku. How would you guys pick?

Vhalyar

Seraphis Cain said:
Or you can set the difficulty to the lowest and quickly make your way to the character hex. If you've played at least one story mode first then you'll have a couple of characters with maxed skill trees, otherwise even a fresh character shouldn't have much of as problem on super easy.

Gamer @ Heart said:
I realize this has has nothing to do wwith DW7, but I figured fans of the genre like yourselves would know best.

I'm looking to find a cheap entry into these games and I can't decide between the latest sengoku Basara game on PS3 or DW strike force on consoles. I love loot and rpgs so strike force seems more appealing, but I read visually and combat wise better things about sengoku. How would you guys pick?

Strike force is not exactly a shining example of the franchise. I would avoid unless you know what you're in for. It's also based on DW6, so the combat is less than ideal in many many ways. Since you like loot, SB3 is probably the best out of your choices listed, but SW2, 3, Orochi, or DW5 would probably also scratch your itch. Or you could give this one a shot. Conquest mode might be your thing.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Gamer @ Heart said:

Dynasty Warriors 6 is fine even though it's not the best in the series and they removed a few characters. I still played it to death. I miss the "free mode" where you can spend time grinding on your characters with the different major battles.

Sengoku Basara is made by a different company and I honestly got bored with it after a few hours. It arguably has a better presentation and the graphics are better.

Strikeforce is horrible. Some people like it but I absolutely hated the aerial combat stuff they threw in there.

Alternatively, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1 or 2 are good representations of this series as well. So if you really enjoy Gundam stuff, that's another good choice.

wienke said:
Dynasty Warriors 6 is fine even though it's not the best in the series and they removed a few characters. I still played it to death. I miss the "free mode" where you can spend time grinding on your characters with the different major battles.

Sengoku Basara is made by a different company and I honestly got bored with it after a few hours. It arguably has a better presentation and the graphics are better.

Strikeforce is horrible. Some people like it but I absolutely hated the aerial combat stuff they threw in there.

Alternatively, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1 or 2 are good representations of this series as well. So if you really enjoy Gundam stuff, that's another good choice.

I don't agree at all on DW6, it's not a good entry, and this is coming from someone who's got platinum on DW6E. The renbu system is utter junk, and does nothing positive for the series.

I forgot about Gundam on my previous post. DWG2 is definitely worth playing, and 3 looks good as well.

Mrbob

Gamer @ Heart said:

You can get Sengoku Basara for 22 dollars through amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002X9KYFW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Game is pretty fun and could be a nice entry into the musou games. Then you can graduate to the Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors game which have more depth to them.

Brandon F

kiryogi said:
Fact of the matter is Folken, battle morale is still there. It's just not shown via a gauge anymore.

In regards to 6 though, while it did get a lot wrong like the Renbu system and movesets, they did advance a bit more tactically. Base capturing was key to morale and victory, and they added swimming and climbing.

I can't help but wonder if you would have been happier with SWC. That actually feels like a more complete modern package vs DW7.

Yea, morale is there, but it's still only relegated to the linear missions you are given. I've only bumped into a couple missions where I've failed to complete an objective that would boost the enemy army and force me to retreat to base to save my general. Compared to past games, it's a real downgrade. I really hope SW3Z makes it over here afterall, as it sounds to be the definitive Musou experience.

Still, despite my issues, I can't stop playing DW7. It's a fine entry, but not a memorable one. It isn't offering anything new(outside of the visual bump, and the retooled campaign/conquest), but it still succeeds at scratching that 'one more battle' itch.

Achievement Hunters may want to keep in mind that difficulty does slightly scale Fame/Money rewards for Conquest mode missions(story campaign not so much I've found). No one should ever feel the need to drop the difficulty below Normal, as that is already pretty damn easy anyway. Hard is a serious bump though, AI will interrupt and block -far- more regularly, archers can actually mess with you, and helpful item drops barely appear while swatting down peons. I'm at the point where Normal is essentially god-mode with my mid-tier stuff(even with untouched heroes), while Hard is still a bit out of reach as Generals can combo kill me instantly if I drop my guard.

Burning through the Wu story mode right now. Zhou Yu is kind of a dick to Sun Qian.

Also, is Zhou Tai unlocked in the story mode?

RedSwirl

Okay so I just got this from GameFly and did the first couple missions. Seems like some pretty good arcade fun, but I can see how this might get boring after six games if this is all there is:

Mash combo -> musou attack -> mash combo -> musou attack -> stay the hell away from Lu Bu -> rinse, repeat. Does story mode add any more variety?

What about Conquest mode? Does it add some kind of Total War-style management system or what?

MoxManiac

Brandon F said:
Yea, morale is there, but it's still only relegated to the linear missions you are given. I've only bumped into a couple missions where I've failed to complete an objective that would boost the enemy army and force me to retreat to base to save my general. Compared to past games, it's a real downgrade. I really hope SW3Z makes it over here afterall, as it sounds to be the definitive Musou experience.

Still, despite my issues, I can't stop playing DW7. It's a fine entry, but not a memorable one. It isn't offering anything new(outside of the visual bump, and the retooled campaign/conquest), but it still succeeds at scratching that 'one more battle' itch.

Achievement Hunters may want to keep in mind that difficulty does slightly scale Fame/Money rewards for Conquest mode missions(story campaign not so much I've found). No one should ever feel the need to drop the difficulty below Normal, as that is already pretty damn easy anyway. Hard is a serious bump though, AI will interrupt and block -far- more regularly, archers can actually mess with you, and helpful item drops barely appear while swatting down peons. I'm at the point where Normal is essentially god-mode with my mid-tier stuff(even with untouched heroes), while Hard is still a bit out of reach as Generals can combo kill me instantly if I drop my guard.

Brandon, I played the Jin campaign on Hard, and I can tell you that battle events and ally strength scale with difficulty. I had one battle I had to redo several times because i had to save someone on one side of the map while my commander dealt with a bunch of officers on the other side. I would try to save the guy in the east but couldn't get back to the commander before he died. I really had to try different routes and approaches to pull it off. So some of that tactical feel is there on hard and above.

Made a boo boo and bought strike force. After an hour I returned it and ordered sengoku from amazon and added DW7 to my game fly list. This DW kick has been crazy this whole week, all because of samurai warriors chronically on 3ds ignited it

Haeleos

RedSwirl said:
Already did some turret stuff in the second mission.

What about Conquest mode? Is that the real meat of the game or something?

You lose the story, the character interaction, the cutscenes, and the modicum of balance/challenge that the un-leveled characters provided in story mode in exchange for a pointless grind. It offers less than the free mode did in past games since none of the potential for Conquest Mode seems to have been explored or realized outside of extending bars past what you could through story playthroughs.

They really concentrated on the Story Mode this time around, so if you're not digging that, then it doesn't seem like the game is for you. If you do try Conquest Mode, I'd highly recommend playing it 2 players with a friend sitting next to you. Regardless, it sounds like your main beef is with the combat system, and you're not going to find a difference in Conquest Mode, unfortunately.

As a long time fan of the series, even I feel like there is a lot missing from this entry, and I'll probably still be popping in Samurai Warriors 2 for my musou fix down the line.

Shadow780

Battle for Supremacy on Chaos, Sooooooooooogoooooooooood.gif.

Totally brought back Diao Chan's escape on Very Hard back in DW3XL, I wish all forces could rush me at once though.

RedSwirl

Haeleos said:
You lose the story, the character interaction, the cutscenes, and the modicum of balance/challenge that the un-leveled characters provided in story mode in exchange for a pointless grind. It offers less than the free mode did in past games since none of the potential for Conquest Mode seems to have been explored or realized outside of extending bars past what you could through story playthroughs.

They really concentrated on the Story Mode this time around, so if you're not digging that, then it doesn't seem like the game is for you. If you do try Conquest Mode, I'd highly recommend playing it 2 players with a friend sitting next to you. Regardless, it sounds like your main beef is with the combat system, and you're not going to find a difference in Conquest Mode, unfortunately.

As a long time fan of the series, even I feel like there is a lot missing from this entry, and I'll probably still be popping in Samurai Warriors 2 for my musou fix down the line.

I can already tell you that I absolutely hate the English voice acting in this game, and I'm usually the one who's the most tolerant of dubs. I could maybe stand it if there was a Japanese (or Mandarin) option, but this here is just bad.

So are you telling me this is one of the simpler entries in the DW series? Which Musou game to people generally see as the best one?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
RedSwirl said:
I can already tell you that I absolutely hate the English voice acting in this game, and I'm usually the one who's the most tolerant of dubs. I could maybe stand it if there was a Japanese (or Mandarin) option, but this here is just bad.

So are you telling me this is one of the simpler entries in the DW series? Which Musou game to people generally see as the best one?

That really depends on who you ask. Though a lot of people look at Warriors Orochi 2 as one of the best, if not the best. If only for the sheer amount of characters (90+). The story can be a bit silly at times, though. Plus it continues from the end of the first Warriors Orochi, so if that bugs you, pick up the first one. Really there's very, VERY little difference between WO1 and WO2. It's more like WO1.5 rather than 2, honestly.

Personally, I find DW Gundam 2 to be my favorite Musou title, but I know the Gundam games aren't for everyone.

Favorites?

The SW games to me always had the best stories out of all the Musou games and I absolutely love the stories and new gameplay mechanics that SW3/SW3Z offer.

Musou Orochi Z is my favorite for pure gameplay. Orochi 2 was a refined Orochi 1 that continued the plot, while Z combined the two together and enhanced them even more. Now that we have SW3Z and DW7 I am really hoping we get an Orochi 3 sometime soon.

Similarly I loved Gundam Musou 3 immensely, despite disliking mecha anime. GM3 is just so much damn fun.

I am also a huge fan of the Empires style of battles and as such SW2E and DW5E are 2 more favorites of mine. I can't wait for SW3E and DW7E.

Oh and RedSwirl, we are getting free Japanese voice DLC sometime this month.

RedSwirl said:

The dub is spot on, just as cheesy as the original Japanese. You'll see! It's coming as dlc later.

RedSwirl

AdawgDaFAB said:
Favorites?

The SW games to me always had the best stories out of all the Musou games and I absolutely love the stories and new gameplay mechanics that SW3/SW3Z offer.

Musou Orochi Z is my favorite for pure gameplay. Orochi 2 was a refined Orochi 1 that continued the plot, while Z combined the two together and enhanced them even more. Now that we have SW3Z and DW7 I am really hoping we get an Orochi 3 sometime soon.

Similarly I loved Gundam Musou 3 immensely, despite disliking mecha anime. GM3 is just so much damn fun.

I am also a huge fan of the Empires style of battles and as such SW2E and DW5E are 2 more favorites of mine. I can't wait for SW3E and DW7E.

Oh and RedSwirl, we are getting free Japanese voice DLC sometime this month.

WHY DON'T MORE GAMES DO THIS?! That's what Final Fantasy XIII should have done!

Anyway, you guys talk about these games as if there's some kind of hidden super hardcore complexity, like with Atlas RPGs. I could understand if this was some kind of acquired taste for the super hardcore, but what I'm playing feels like the opposite of that.

Are the Warriors Orichi and Samurai Warriors games a lot deeper than main DW or what?

Marvie_3

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
To say nothing of Deng Ai, who I think might have the absolute worst voice of all the new characters.
Far more tolerable than the constant "derp derp derp I'm a fatass" or "Me....have....stroke......"

robotzombie said:
Quick question, is there any real negatives to doing conquest stages on easy?

Pretty much that it just takes longer to get 1,000,000 fame if you are going for that trophy / achievement. I think some of the higher starred stages on hard or chaos can drop +8 stats while on Beginner / Easy / Normal those same stages would only be +4 drops. I haven't tested this myself but I've read elsewhere about it.

Top Bottom