• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 7 |OT| - GODDAMIT NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN!

Shadow780

SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET, going there after work!

GAME GET!

fmtlt.gif

Shadow780 said:
SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET, going there after work!

GAME GET!

Sweet. Can you take a picture or scan this page in the instruction booklet? It would be nice to have all that info on the skills / seals in English:

Shadow780

AdawgDaFAB said:
Sweet. Can you take a picture or scan this page in the instruction booklet? It would be nice to have all that info on the skills / seals in English:

Unless I bought Canadian version, there's no Seal list or Skills list :O

Half the manual is in Eng and the other half is in French.

/wat

Just read on GameFAQs that Game Play in Long Beach, California is selling the game early too. Heads up in case anyone here lives there and is looking for the game.

You gotta be careful when calling Best Buy and asking if they have it. They just check the computers and the computer will tell them how many they have, but they might not notice that they shouldn't be up for sale yet. I've been burned a couple times in that situation, where they said they had a game in stock and I went there and they told me they couldn't sell it yet.

robotzombie said:
You gotta be careful when calling Best Buy and asking if they have it. They just check the computers and the computer will tell them how many they have, but they might not notice that they shouldn't be up for sale yet. I've been burned a couple times in that situation, where they said they had a game in stock and I went there and they told me they couldn't sell it yet.

Well I'm just relaying info from someone else but good call there. Me personally, I can wait for next week since I'm still trying to platinum the Japanese release before the English one comes out, :lol .

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh man. I just got Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll, and I'll be getting DW7 on Tuesday (I seem to have conveniently changed my mind on it...damn Koei mind control).

KOEI/OMEGA FORCE OVERLOAD INCOMING.

...I think my Square button is going to need replaced by the time this is all over with. :lol

I made a spreadsheet showing weapon compatibility for every character w/ every weapon type. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/DW7WeaponStars

Note: I did NOT making note of which ones have grey stars to start with. This list is for when those are already filled in. You fill in grey stars via a character's skill tree.

Shadow780

Haha holyshit this time enemies drop temp. increases like crazy.

AdawgDaFAB said:
I made a spreadsheet showing weapon compatibility for every character w/ every weapon type. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/DW7WeaponStars

Note: I did NOT making note of which ones have grey stars to start with. This list is for when those are already filled in. You fill in grey stars via a character's skill tree.

Very cool thanks.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Is everything street dated now? I figure this would be one of those obscure games that no retailer cares about selling early.

MoxManiac

Does that mean even if Bestbuy doesn't break street date here, they'll have it on release day at least? (tuesday)

I have a BB gift card I want to put towards it.

Shadow780

Square Triangle said:
As someone who wants to give this franchise a try, what would be the best entry? A buddy of mine said to pick up DW5 on the PS2.

Warriors Orochi 2 have the most characters to choose from, but if you want straight DW game 5 is a great entry point.

Gibbo

Hated DW6 - but went ahead and bought DW7 last night. Not sure if it's just me, but the framerate seems abit all over the place on this one. Can't remember if DW6 was like this.

As for the story mode, not sure if I like the pre mission 'exploration' element of it. Doesn't seem to add anything to the game imo. Might as well have thrown the usual cutscenes in there.

Truthfully I'd say just wait and jump in with DW7, unless you would rather do so at a budget price with an older game. Personally, I was always a SW fan but I never cared for DW due to lack of interest/knowledge on RotTK. DW7's announcement and initial gameplay footage got me intrigued so about 6 months or so ago I started with DW4 Hyper on PC. 5 plays way better but I simply liked 4 as an entry point to the series due to it's Kingdom based story mode (somewhat like 7) that allowed me to get into Koei's version of the overall story easier than playing 5 stages with every character. Then I moved on to 5 and now 7. The only thing from DW6 I played was Strikeforce, which I've been going through on PS3 but have on hold due to 7 taking up my time.

If all you care about is gameplay then Warriors Orochi 2 is where it is at. Fastest and smoothest gameplay of all the DW/SW games with tons of characters and really well designed level up & weapon systems. Even better, if you don't care about the story or language barrier, then Musou Orochi Z is by far the best playing of the older games imo. There is even a semi-English patch for the PC version of Orochi Z. I can't even begin to tell you how many hours I logged into MOZ acquiring every skill and customizing every character's 4th weapon to my precise liking.

I never noticed any issues with frame rate and I've played the Japanese version for near 100 hours now. Although, I didn't play any stages for quite a while after booting the game up. I spent a lot of time looking at the Gallery before I went to do the tutorial and then started up Chronicle Mode (and then again spent a lot of time in the menu system figuring things out and making tons of notes for the info I had been giving about the game). By the time I finally started playing some stages my game was probably fully installed and so I never noticed any lag issues.

I've been having a ball toying around with Lu Xun just now.

Found an easy 60-90 hit combo setup. Twin Swords C3 -> Ex -> Bow Switch -> S-String -> Musou -> Bow Juggles.

------

Edit:

I just discovered something weird about the stat system. I was keeping track of my Sun Quan's stats in the final Wu stage, it was 568 Health, 717 Attack and 641 Defense. When I went into Chronicle Mode I checked my Sun Quan to spend my Bukou on my Skill Tree and realized my stats were: 348 Health, 441 Attack and 411 Defense.

So it seems that stats in KM are set by stage (to keep the difficulty from going too crazy I suppose). I suppose you should still carry over the upgrades you pick up from officers, but I haven't been able to test that yet. I'll look into it tomorrow. I do know that Gold and Bukou carry over from KM to CM, so Stat drops SHOULD too.

---

Edit 2: I just did the first 4 stages of Shu's story mode and now I think I understand how the stat system works for KM. Basically any Health, Attack, Defense or Bukou that you earn in the mode gets treated as being earned by the whole kingdom, while in the story mode. While whatever stat drops you pick up by a SPECIFIC character and your total Bukou at the end of the stage gets earned permanently by that character.

This should make things understandable:
My Zhang Fei stats before starting Shu's story:
Health 298 - Attack 301 - Defense 283 - Bukou 154.

While playing the first four stages (two with Liu Bei and two with Guan Yu) I picked up a total of:
Health + 30, Attack + 27, Defense + 26 and Bukou + 776.

Thus, upon starting the fifth stage Zhang Fei's stats were:
Health 328 - Attack 328 - Defense 309 - Bukou 930.

Now the confusing part is showing what actually gets carried over permanently into your character. So lets say I played the 5th stage and Zhang Fei got Health +10, Attack + 4, Defense + 7 and Bukou + 126 throughout the stage.

Zhang Fei's stats in KM at the end of the stage are:
Health 338 - Attack 332 - Defense 316 - Bukou 1056.

Whereas Zhang Fei's REAL stats - when I check them in Chronicle Mode - are:
Health 308 - Attack 305 - Defense 290 - Bukou 1056.

I hope this makes sense to everyone, I was confused for a bit while trying to figure it all out. It is also late so I may not be explaining this in the best way possible

SiegfriedFM said:
In that chart, is 1 or 3 preferrable?

3 is the highest proficiency. The higher the star ranking the faster you attacks are with that weapon and at 3 stars you either get Jump Cancel / Double Jump ability or Wind Element attached to every attack you do (JC vs Wind depends on the weapon, I'll break down which weapon has what sometime soon).

Edit:
I made a list of all the weapon classes and whether they have Jump Canceling or Wind Element as a bonus for characters who have 3 Stars in them:

http://tinyurl.com/DW7ThreeStars

MoxManiac

Picking up my copy tonight at Bestbuy. Can't wait!

Can't believe BB of all places is making it possible for me to play this today.

Xater

Seraphis Cain said:
Jim Sterling's review (AKA the only professional DW review that matters) is up:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-dynasty-warriors-7-197399.phtml

Very well done review by Jim. Really informative about all the changes and what's good and bad about it. So true that he does the only professional reviews worth a damn about Musou games. Although Ray Barnholt also did a good one for Sengoku Basara 3.

Anyway it's definitely back on my to buy list. Just not right now. The 3DS made a significant dent in my gaming budget.

Kaizer

Banned
Trading in some old games at GameStop to shave the price off DW7 this morning, I'm really excited to play it. After being disappointed with DW6, Warriors Orochi 2 and Basara 3 have filled the void but Dynasty Warriors has always been my fav series and I can't wait to play this, hope it's good this time.

Volcynika

BobJustBob said:
Really? Man. It didn't say release date shipping so I didn't order from Amazon.

Yeah it was actually estimated to arrive April 1st, but I suddenly saw an email yesterday that said it'd shipped and would be here today! :eek:

Shadow780

How ironic is it that Jim sterling of all people is the one that actually plays Musou games and give it an informed review without writing it off completely beforehand like other outlets.
The guy's still the worst hit-whoring troll.

This game is 30 fps. What the fuck Omega Force?

Okay yes there are rare occurrences where the game runs at 60 but if I'm doing something like slicing bad guys the framerate gets chopped in half.

Seriously..it's always two steps forward and two steps back with this series. It's fucking maddening.

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Okay yes there are rare occurrences where the game runs at 60 but if I'm doing something like slicing bad guys the framerate gets chopped in half.

Seriously..it's always two steps forward and two steps back with this series. It's fucking maddening.

If this is true I'm not surprised since Hokuto ran at 30 and I believe I read a while ago that this uses the same engine. However, I don't notice the framerate difference at all (either from past games or from slowdown people have been complaining about). In the Wii SW3 I felt the effects of the crappy FPS greatly and it made the gameplay feel way too slow and plodding compared to SW2XL and MOZ. However, DW7 feels smooth and fast for me so *shrug*.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The fuck, indeed. I'm gonna see how much this eats at my junk when my copy arrives from Gamefly tomorrow, but I passed on SW3-Wii for precisely this reason.

Attack You said:
The fuck, indeed. I'm gonna see how much this eats at my junk when my copy arrives from Gamefly tomorrow, but I passed on SW3-Wii for precisely this reason.

I'm taking his word for it that DW7 is 30 FPS but even still it is the fastest playing mainline DW game I've played so the lower FPS doesn't ruin gameplay at all. In SW3-Wii it made everything feel like it was moving in slow motion and thus felt horrible.

AdawgDaFAB said:
I'm taking his word for it that DW7 is 30 FPS but even still it is the fastest playing mainline DW game I've played so the lower FPS doesn't ruin gameplay at all. In SW3-Wii it made everything feel like it was moving in slow motion and thus felt horrible.
I'm hoping I'll reach the same conclusion. I really want some online co-op Musou in my life.

Top Bottom