• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires |OT| “I have mistreated an Officer!”

copping this for PS4 tonight at the midnight release, a little bummed that we may not be patched up to Japans current level, they made some pretty helpful changes, especially to difficulty, enemy officers and CAC's not doing musou's when you meet them in the field is just weird

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Looking forward to playing this, it will be my first Empires game.

I'm a little disturbed about the bugginess being discussed though...

The Japanese SKU had 6 patches, and we're not getting any of them?

Kinda bummed that this is coming out when it is, because I pre-ordered Dragonball Xenoverse and will be playing that instead. :(

It sounds like the strategy side of things is just like, marginally better than 7's, can anyone expand on that?

biteren

i just got my copy, and im trying to figure out how to import my chars

unless you cant import from ps3 DW7 empires to ps4 8 empires....

Hmmm, with the framerate issues, I might just stick with PC. But then there are issues with getting the latest patches and I have a feeling that PC would fall incredibly behind.

gaaaaah

i just got my copy, and im trying to figure out how to import my chars

unless you cant import from ps3 DW7 empires to ps4 8 empires....

You'll be able to import them..

Sometime in march when they release the ps3 free to play version :(

when you upload your PS3 characters to the server you will be able to download them to your PS4 version, some parts and moves won't translate to DWE8, but most should. I think its sad that even though that method is tedious at best, its not available at launch.

I'm just creating a new crew, it looks so much cleaner and i'm coming up with some pretty wild designs messing with the editor.

biteren

You'll be able to import them..

Sometime in march when they release the ps3 free to play version :(

when you upload your PS3 characters to the server you will be able to download them to your PS4 version, some parts and moves won't translate to DWE8, but most should. I think its sad that even though that method is tedious at best, its not available at launch.

I'm just creating a new crew, it looks so much cleaner and i'm coming up with some pretty wild designs messing with the editor.

i wonder if it will be easier if i just re created everyone...
i guess ill start making some peoples

So the F2P version got delayed until sometime in March and the game only shipped with patch version 1.03. I have also seen a lot of talk about dialogue bugs where characters don't have their proper voices. Wonderful launch we have here, >_>.

Nice to see an OT for this game!

Also never forget
685d8a58-s.jpg

IT'S LUBU!!!!!

i wonder if it will be easier if i just re created everyone...
i guess ill start making some peoples

"Here's the kicker...

When you first boot up DW8E, it asks you if you want to import your Free Alliances save file.

Okay so it's not here, you select "No". Then it tells you you can only import once, when you first create your save file.

So in 2-4 weeks when it comes out you have to delete all your progress just to import."

looks like it would be a better idea to start from scratch..
Yeah, I think Koei sucks balls when it comes to this stuff. what a massive oversight.

biteren

"Here's the kicker...

When you first boot up DW8E, it asks you if you want to import your Free Alliances save file.

Okay so it's not here, you select "No". Then it tells you you can only import once, when you first create your save file.

So in 2-4 weeks when it comes out you have to delete all your progress just to import."

looks like it would be a better idea to start from scratch..
Yeah, I think Koei sucks balls when it comes to this stuff. what a massive oversight.

i just found out by playing right now that there isnt a english dub for this game, further investigation reveals it got cancelled :(

well, i better grab a snickers, cause im gonna be here for a while...

i just found out by playing right now that there isnt a english dub for this game, further investigation reveals it got cancelled :(

well, i better grab a snickers, cause im gonna be here for a while...

yeah, this launch was a mess to say the least, we got patch 1.03..they're on patch 1.07 in japan.

whats included in the patch?

(i hope its more color options for clothes)

up to 1.03 this is what we should have now

1. CAW gets their musou, generics doesn't appear to get it still. Fighting alongside CAW is a very pleasant experience though.

2. There's now an indicator before a general uses a damaging tactic (Fire blast, lightning, frozen orb) the enemy will sparkle for like a second or two before unleashing it. If you have your eyes on him, be sure to evade them.

3. You can set all non-combat music as your home music, the music will revert when something happens though (like an attack or an event)

4. You can change CAw Costume but not their looks.

5. The incentive points seems to be gained in a per battle basis, not sure if you have to beat that current empire mode to carry over (I think you have to)

6. You now have ALL of your moveset along with your weapon specialty (Whirlwind, dash) right away starting at lvl 1. You will still need to level up to gain more tactic points.

7. I don't know if it's because I have access to whirlwind, but the enemy seems to take more damage from me in Chaos even in the beginning, someone else can confirm this?

8. You can decline to particpate in battles as a subordinate. I have yet to see if AI taking land though if you don't actively participate.

I can't seem to find any info past that, at least info that's translated!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Holy crap I need a manual for this.

Does anyone know where I can find it? Google isn't turning up anything...

So the F2P version got delayed until sometime in March and the game only shipped with patch version 1.03. I have also seen a lot of talk about dialogue bugs where characters don't have their proper voices. Wonderful launch we have here, >_>.

Yah the voice/audio glitch is a total turn-off. Nothing like having my male avatar speak lines using female dialogue.

Hope TK releases a patch soon. While the game is playable in its current state, it's a big mess =.=...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what exactly I'm supposed to do in the strategy mode.

I started the first campaign, and I've played through a few "war sessions". I got up to level 13, and I've won every raid, invasion and quest I've gone on. Am I supposed to eventually go up in rank and get more options on the strategy view?

Can I move to other provinces to use their blacksmith and other shops? I've bought everything in the starting province, and I don't see any way to move to the newly conquered provinces.

If I quit this campaign, will all the progress and weapons be stored with the character I am using? So if I use this character in a different campaign, they'll have everything?

Should I be playing this on Normal? Seems a bit easy... my only other warriors experience was Hyrule Warriors...

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what exactly I'm supposed to do in the strategy mode.

I started the first campaign, and I've played through a few "war sessions". I got up to level 13, and I've won every raid, invasion and quest I've gone on. Am I supposed to eventually go up in rank and get more options on the strategy view?

Can I move to other provinces to use their blacksmith and other shops? I've bought everything in the starting province, and I don't see any way to move to the newly conquered provinces.

If I quit this campaign, will all the progress and weapons be stored with the character I am using? So if I use this character in a different campaign, they'll have everything?

Should I be playing this on Normal? Seems a bit easy... my only other warriors experience was Hyrule Warriors...
The dude with the Stalin, Hitler, Bruce lee and Osama Playthroughs says play it on hard and above if you want a challenge, that the game gets easy as pie in the last quarter..you're trying to get ALL the territory mainly, how you do that is up to you, heck, revolt and take over the kingdom if you're that OP, that's probably what i'd do.

Man again??
What a bummer, DW would work so well with PC multiplayer.

Does Samurai Warriors have online on consoles? We're supposed to get that soon on PC as well iirc. I bet it won't have anything online either.
Wth Koei.

sw has online on consoles yes, dw8 xl on steam did not have online as well, so I assume that's what koei will keep doing

Risette

A Good Citizen
uh, i redeemed my gamestop preorder code and they show up as add ons for dw8xl on ps4

?

this launch is a mess :(

Sophia

Umm... not to be rude, but is there any particular reason why the banners/art in the OT look like they were made quickly in paint? Surely someone can whip up something slightly better for Rymuth as a replacement? :\

I don't have my copy yet, I'll get it tomorrow. But if it's anything like DW8/DW8XL, then the difficulty levels are skewed a bit. The "Normal" setting is generally on the easy side, with anything below it being a joke. If you find it too easy, try a campaign on hard. That should be a better suited difficulty.

Character levels stay with your character, so you shouldn't lose anything there even if you quit the campaign.

---

I'm probably going to create my own character to start, play as a vagabond for a bit, and then make my all female army. After that, I dunno... an all robot army? :D

NeonZ

You can unlock some points to buy new game + bonuses, and also keeps any title you unlock, but you don't keep stats and weapons for a future playthrough, unlike in standard Dynasty Warrior games (or even old Empire titles).

SteveTR

It's nice to see they're not trying to hide the fact this is the eight numbered installment.

Is it just me, or is the cover not that good looking?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You can unlock some points to buy new game + bonuses, and also keeps any title you unlock, but you don't keep stats and weapons for a future playthrough, unlike in standard Dynasty Warrior games (or even old Empire titles).

Seriously? Weird.

I'm not too familiar with DW games, but doesn't it take hundreds of battles to unlock everything on a character? These campaigns seem like they would be over long before you could even get close to unlocking the majority of stuff for a character...

NeonZ

Seriously? Weird.

I'm not too familiar with DW games, but doesn't it take hundreds of battles to unlock everything on a character? These campaigns seem like they would be over long before you could even get close to unlocking the majority of stuff for a character...

What takes the longest to be unlocked here are the titles (which give some stat bonuses) and those are kept. There's no weapon forging system, you just upgrade your kingdom (or by going to the biggest kingdoms and buying there if you're a lone officer or mercenary leader) and buy them or get them from battles or gifts.

The game is balanced around all generals progressively raising their levels, which is why you can't just keep it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What takes the longest to be unlocked here are the titles (which give some stat bonuses) and those are kept. There's no weapon forging system, you just upgrade your kingdom (or by going to the biggest kingdoms and buying there if you're a lone officer or mercenary leader) and buy them or get them from battles or gifts.

The game is balanced around all generals progressively raising their levels, which is why you can't just keep it.

I'm playing the first campaign (yellow turban uprising?), and I've bought everything in my province. How do I access the other provinces' blacksmiths/academies that we have conquered? I seem to be just a regular soldier, I guess? My only options for moving are becoming a free agent or joining another faction... I can't seem to move territories while maintaining my faction...

How does free mode fit into things for weapons?

Can anyone confirm this fix to DW8E on the PS4? Apparently if you're having problems with the game, you're supposed to delete/uninstall DW8XL and then reinstall Empires.

Found it on Gamefaqs, but can't confirm it as I'm at work.

Thanks!

Corsick

How robust is army customization? I feel like personalization when it comes to creating your own kingdom and army is really key to feeling like it's "yours." I'm hoping they are quick to react to the bugs though, it's hard to see another region on a newer patch for too long of a time before getting frustrated.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Are you ever supposed to see any of your own troops following you around in battle? I don't see them...

What is the point of the amount of troops you bring into battle if none of them are there?

NeonZ

I'm playing the first campaign (yellow turban uprising?), and I've bought everything in my province. How do I access the other provinces' blacksmiths/academies that we have conquered? I seem to be just a regular soldier, I guess? My only options for moving are becoming a free agent or joining another faction... I can't seem to move territories while maintaining my faction...

You're right about that. You can only move to different territories as a free officer, or joining another faction. I haven't tried playing as an officer in DW8E yet though, only free officer/leader and then faction leader.

How does free mode fit into things for weapons?

I haven't tried Free mode yet, sorry.

How robust is army customization? I feel like personalization when it comes to creating your own kingdom and army is really key to feeling like it's "yours." I'm hoping they are quick to react to the bugs though, it's hard to see another region on a newer patch for too long of a time before getting frustrated.

Army customization isn't that good. You can choose your army's soldier type out of 11 presets, change their colors and also change their body proportions and size, and choose their uniform's emblem, if any, but, differently from unique officers, you can't for example, mix and match outfits or edit specific facial features.

Are you ever supposed to see any of your own troops following you around in battle? I don't see them...

What is the point of the amount of troops you bring into battle if none of them are there?

Number of initial keeps. The army with the largest amount of them starts controlling more of the map, and with a bigger difference there's bigger control.

Also, you can order one of your allied officers to follow you, and the npcs generally are followed by the generic troops.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You're right about that. You can only move to different territories as a free officer, or joining another faction. I haven't tried playing as an officer in DW8E yet though, only free officer/leader and then faction leader.

How do you start as a free officer/leader or faction leader?

I asked in another thread, but can anyone verify if audio is muted while streaming the game through the PS4 streamer?
I don't have the game, but this is likely a yes. It's been that way for every other PS4 Musou game. I think they cite something with their Japanese VA contracts as for the reason.

Man I'm surprised at the customization options. I just made my own take on 'Eikichi Onizuka' from GTO. I can get lost hours in this.

(It's not like I can do anything else since it's still downloading from the PSN store >_>)

Top Bottom