• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires |OT| “I have mistreated an Officer!”

Mohasus

system11

Waiting to find out if the frame rate is a horrendous bag of spanners. Again.

DW8 was hopeless on PS4. Hard to believe this is the same team who pumped out 60fps games on the PS2.

Edit: nvm, I see it's happened again. Sigh.

Waiting to find out if the frame rate is a horrendous bag of spanners. Again.

DW8 was hopeless on PS4. Hard to believe this is the same team who pumped out 60fps games on the PS2.

Edit: nvm, I see it's happened again. Sigh.

Uhhh I don't think the games were ever 60fps during the PS2 era. Definitely remember it lagging then.

~~~
Do you unlock more voices/equipment as you play?

Corsick

Can you check the download progress once you are in game and able to customize things? I've no idea how much longer it will take at all.

Can you check the download progress once you are in game and able to customize things? I've no idea how much longer it will take at all.

You can check by uh, going to the main menu and hitting Options>Info and you can see download status. Once you download the initial 5 gigs it lets you customize.

Edit-Oh my god there's custom units, banners, warhorses, soldiers....

system11

Uhhh I don't think the games were ever 60fps during the PS2 era. Definitely remember it lagging then.

They were mostly 60, it would slow a bit here and there but essentially the core experience was 60, running around between fights was 60. Starting from DW7 the frame rates took a massive dive.

There are few places in 8 where you can even walk across an empty map without it stuttering on the PS4, and that's just pitiful. Then there was the whole DoF fiasco where someone mistook it for a desirable effect and fogged up anything more than 2 feet from the player. It's been bitterly disappointing to see this continue as a long term fan of the series.

NeonZ

How do you start as a free officer/leader or faction leader?
It depends on the character you choose. For example, if you choose Liu Bei in the Yellow Turbans scenario you'll start as a free officer. If you choose someone like Yuan Shao, you start as a ruler. Their starting positions are listed on screen when you're going to choose character for any scenario aside from Gathering of Heroes, which follows its own rules.

Do you unlock more voices/equipment as you play?

I think you start with everything. It includes all of DW7E's equipment, including the DLC, aside from the pre-order bonuses, as well as a few new pieces. There's going to be more DLC for more outfits and voices though, considering the Japanese version.

They were mostly 60, it would slow a bit here and there but essentially the core experience was 60, running around between fights was 60. Starting from DW7 the frame rates took a massive dive.

There are few places in 8 where you can even walk across an empty map without it stuttering on the PS4, and that's just pitiful. Then there was the whole DoF fiasco where someone mistook it for a desirable effect and fogged up anything more than 2 feet from the player. It's been bitterly disappointing to see this continue as a long term fan of the series.

Eh, I guess I just don't remember it being 60fps in the PS2 era. It's never a game I would say that ran smoothly most of the time.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Parasyte edition.

that was flawless. Thanks.

Man I'm surprised at the customization options. I just made my own take on 'Eikichi Onizuka' from GTO. I can get lost hours in this.

(It's not like I can do anything else since it's still downloading from the PSN store >_>)

I spent at least 6 hours creating my caws, it can be very zen like when you get a group of ideas that hit you and find you're able to create them well enough..weapon and super variety is ace as well.Just Unified China in Empire more, feels good.

that was flawless. Thanks.

I spent at least 6 hours creating my caws, it can be very zen like when you get a group of ideas that hit you and find you're able to create them well enough..weapon and super variety is ace as well.Just Unified China in Empire more, feels good.

Yeah, I ended up making Onizuka, Nobunaga, and THEN MY OWN PERSONA. I should make a Freddy Mercury actually....hmmm...

Freddy Mercury huh..O__O
Please, for the love of all that is good, upload a pic or video of that if you do it!

I'll give it my best shot!

Alright-This is my best. Going off this picture-
1000509261001_1814783179001_Simone-and-Schuster-The-Life-of-Queen-Lead-Singer-Freddie-Mercuty.jpg

I made this-

batbeg

Question: My brother is out purchasing an Xbox One and we wanted something couch co-op to play, and the huge amount of options means it is basically this or Warriors Orochi 3. Neither of us have much or any musou experience and finding out the depth of LOCAL co-op options for these games is proving to be a struggle, does anyone have any recommendations of which is more fun in local co-op, or should we look elsewhere altogether?

My god yes. If only their was a microphone stand as a weapon. Maybe the new strategist staff?

Yeah, there is a rod/staff that has like...an oval top on it. Shaman staff? I'll have to recheck though.

Question: My brother is out purchasing an Xbox One and we wanted something couch co-op to play, and the huge amount of options means it is basically this or Warriors Orochi 3. Neither of us have much or any musou experience and finding out the depth of LOCAL co-op options for these games is proving to be a struggle, does anyone have any recommendations of which is more fun in local co-op, or should we look elsewhere altogether?

Orochi is more of a straight multiplayer game, where you can pick challenges, do story mode, and what not. Empires is more strategic and open, so it might be more fun. Invading enemies, or choosing what to attack or which policies to do. It's a bit more dynamic in that sense?

Really enjoying the game but I feel like I might like it more on PC. Regardless, I am glad I purchased it. I really can get lost in these type of games.

A joke version of the shaman staff at least in DW7 was a microphone stand. Don'tttt think it was ever brought back to DW8 games though.

I was about to ask, too. Goddamit Koei. Why can't you milk your DLC for us. I WANT FREDDY TO BE COMPLETE.

Edit-I've uploaded Freddy as my Guest Officer! So you may see him singin' some tunes in your games..

NeonZ

Apparently, the voice bug is caused by having the Japanese voice pack for DW8XL. At least, that's what I've seen posted in other forums. I can say that I only have the voice pack for the original PS3 DW8 and I've had no audio problems at all with my PS3 version.

Jotthah

No, Empires is a stand-alone spin-off game that focuses on strategy and conquering territories. You won't be able to experience DW8/XL story mode in this iteration. Instead of following the history of the Three Kingdoms, you can change the scenario to suit your needs. Want to be Lu Bu's strategist? Go for it. Want to serve Sun Quan and then stab him in the back? Don't let me stop you.

Sorry this is common knowledge or something, but does this mean, that there is no story mode to speak of?
Furthermore, is the gameplay normal DW gameplay? Because in Gameplay I always saw a timer which was really off-putting.

NeonZ

Sorry this is common knowledge or something, but does this mean, that there is no story mode to speak of?
Furthermore, is the gameplay normal DW gameplay? Because in Gameplay I always saw a timer which was really off-putting.

Yes, there's no cutscene driven story mode in Empires, just a story made by the gameplay itself with a few preset cutscenes here and there.

Technically, every DW battle has a time limit of around 50 minutes or so. But, yes, Empire's battles are generally shorter. Defensive battles only last around 5 minutes, while offensive ones are around 20 minutes, IIRC.

Jotthah

Yes, there's no cutscene driven story mode in Empires, just a story made by the gameplay itself with a few preset cutscenes here and there.

Technically, every DW battle has a time limit of around 50 minutes or so. But, yes, Empire's battles are generally shorter. Defensive battles only last around 5 minutes, while offensive ones are around 20 minutes, IIRC.

Thanks for clearing that up.
That's unfortunate, I was hoping for a musou in the vein of Orochi (got that already)

Corsick

I'd love a Samurai Warriors 5: Orochi Empires. Think about all the possible characters. Also, how do you do EX moves? I notice that sometimes my character does musou looking animations for a special attack without using the musou bar/meter. I don't know how to execute those attacks. What are the inputs/commands for those? The last DW game I played was Empires 7 for context.

I'd love a Samurai Warriors 5: Orochi Empires. Think about all the possible characters. Also, how do you do EX moves? I notice that sometimes my character does musou looking animations for a special attack without using the musou bar/meter. I don't know how to execute those attacks. What are the inputs/commands for those? The last DW game I played was Empires 7 for context.

It depends on the EX move itself, from my time spent tinkering on it for an hour I didn't see any input instructions(So you'd have to go by memory.)

The Ex Moves are activated by pressing the strong attack-Triangle or Y-after your regular string. So if you have a PS4 controller, and you're playing Xiahou Dun...S is square, T is triangle...

ST would be his first string, but if you do..

STT he'll initiate the EX move. I believe his second Ex move is..

SSTT?

It varies by ex moves. Some might have you string it after SSSTT or SSSSSTT, you'd have to play around to get a feel for it.

Apparently, the voice bug is caused by having the Japanese voice pack for DW8XL. At least, that's what I've seen posted in other forums. I can say that I only have the voice pack for the original PS3 DW8 and I've had no audio problems at all with my PS3 version.

Ayup, this is it. It's an issue with the DW8XL I guess, where the voice flags get messed up or something...which meant Zhenji was sounding like a man. I was so confused. Deleting the DW8XL data from your PS4 solves it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, if I'm playing as an officer (playing Cao Cao in the Yellow Turban campaign), there is absolutely no way to access the other province's shops in my empire without leaving the empire and becoming a free agent?

It's bizarre the kind of children I've been having in this game with my different caw character combinations.. glad you get to save them and customize them more to your liking..i'm mad i forgot to PRESS R1 to bring up the bonus menu on my 2nd playthrough though, could have had all my weapons and strategies unlocked from the jump :(

It's bizarre the kind of children I've been having in this game with my different caw character combinations.. glad you get to save them and customize them more to your liking..i'm mad i forgot to PRESS R1 to bring up the bonus menu on my 2nd playthrough though, could have had all my weapons and strategies unlocked from the jump :(

How does that work, anyways? Do they show up in free mode? Also, how do you change costumes in game before a battle >_>;

How does that work, anyways? Do they show up in free mode? Also, how do you change costumes in game before a battle >_>;

They become a part of your caw roster and show up just like any other caw, the strange thing is their relationship to you is gone in every other playthrough!

If you're on ps4 hit the touchpad and it gives you a screen full of other options one of them has to do with setup or changes SYSTEM is the bottom option, when you click one of them will mention something about editing your officer when you hit it you can change each costume part like normal.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I like all the new options they introduced in this game... Its really awesome

but the UI is just so bad and things are really hard to pick up right away

I like all the new options they introduced in this game... Its really awesome

but the UI is just so bad and things are really hard to pick up right away

Agreed, there are stats and info you won't see without paying attention to the legend at the bottom at all times..something tells me they could have streamlined it better than that..

I went to bed at 4am this time spending 2 hours creating animal themed characters and trying to unite china a second time while my OP son from my previous playthrough shows me blatant disrespect by not joining my vagabond unit.

Zexen

From what I've seen yet, same port as DW8XL, slightly better PS3 gfx 1080p max. Hope it will not suffer from the same 640x480 "zoomed in" bug I got with XL.

Seyavesh

so uh, has anyone figured out how to reassign buttons for the gamepad

it just keeps giving me "this is already assigned" when they got some weird ass config for default

it just keeps giving me "this is already assigned" when they got some weird ass config for default
I remember back when I played Warriors Orochi Z that I had to do something like pressing F12 on each button to erase the config and then I was able to set it up how I wanted.

However, this isn't properly set up for an Xinput device with a default scheme the same as on consoles? If so, lame.

CSX

From what I've seen yet, same port as DW8XL, slightly better PS3 gfx 1080p max. Hope it will not suffer from the same 640x480 "zoomed in" bug I got with XL.

i guess they dont want to put in the effort to port whatever modified engine they using on the PS4 version :\

Chariot

Yeah, resolution options ain't that hot.

1szgM96.png

Push F12 in the key assignment menu, this will flush all gamepad key bindings. You can then reassign from scratch.

NeonZ

I really like how active the AI is in the strategy phase here compared to DW7E. They can create their own factions, leave or betray the player (without needing the player to go out of his way to be evil), befriend the player by their own initiative, actually attack multiple points of the same kingdom at once and officers in the player's kingdom seem to be active much more often than in DW7E. I think it's only missing npc -> npc succession without involving conquest or rebellion.

It's kind of a shame that in other aspects it lost things from DW7E though, like the smaller amount of cutscenes and unique battle quotes. They should just have kept the same cutscenes and added more on top, if they weren't able to remake as many as there were before. The AI in combat also seems less aggressive, especially for the common soldiers. In DW7E you could get troops of soldiers basically rushing towards the player, and being in the middle of them could be rather dangerous if you weren't using some kind of area attack. Here, it seems pretty much the same as in DW8XL, but with less soldiers on the field.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What are you supposed to do when you're trying to conquer a base that has a strength of 300, but it is only spawning 10-15 troops at a time around it? Is there some strategy to make the base spawn more troops?

Also, I've been playing the second campaign on hard as a one-province empire. I've "invaded" another province every turn for the beginning four and won easily. Is there eventually going to be a repercussion for this? Or do I just stomp all over the map?

Memory

Havnt had much time to play as ive been busy with Homeworld. I dived into the customisation options and created a whole faction lol. I think im going to create a whole scenario for my brother to play when i lend him my PS4 next month.

I'm a bit disapointed that the dlc that changes how characters and bad guys look in DW8 isnt transferable though. Would have loved to mimic something like Kill La Kill with a nationwide battle of schools lol.

NeonZ

What are you supposed to do when you're trying to conquer a base that has a strength of 300, but it is only spawning 10-15 troops at a time around it? Is there some strategy to make the base spawn more troops?

I think that happens when there are too many of your own soldiers there. Just leave the base to them or focus on the defense captain since it equals multiple KOs.

Also, I've been playing the second campaign on hard as a one-province empire. I've "invaded" another province every turn for the beginning four and won easily. Is there eventually going to be a repercussion for this? Or do I just stomp all over the map?

I got consistently attacked by other kingdoms as soon as I raised flag, to the point that I was attacked in multiple points in the same turn and couldn't defend all of them since they fell after one turn due to lack of prefects and such... I don't know what triggers the CPU behavior though, so I can't explain why they'd be apparently rather passive in your game. What's the scenario?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you go about starting as a free agent then starting your own kingdom? Can you just try to take over any province and fight a battle to get it?

Tabby

How do you go about starting as a free agent then starting your own kingdom? Can you just try to take over any province and fight a battle to get it?
Going by 7 Empires, you go to an area and then select to raise banner which will trigger a battle with the kingdom in that area.
Unless you made friends it's usually pretty hard.

Top Bottom