• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires |OT| “I have mistreated an Officer!”

How does Free Mode work? I remember spending hours just playing random battles in DW5E's & SW2E's Free Modes where I would customize everything how I wanted and then play the battle. IIRC, the character levels remained and all weapons were available after being unlocked in a proper Empires campaign.

Indignate

How does Free Mode work? I remember spending hours just playing random battles in DW5E's & SW2E's Free Modes where I would customize everything how I wanted and then play the battle. IIRC, the character levels remained and all weapons were available after being unlocked in a proper Empires campaign.

I took a quick glance at it and it seems like this pretty much. I believe anything you get in Empires is unlocked but you can also purchase the things you haven't gotten yet with battle points.

Free mode allows you to set up an Invasion, Defensive, Event, or Quest. It seems you can set the armies at 5 predetermined levels and also give a morale boost/handicap to a side. You can choose all 16 (8 per side) characters in the fight and who the ruler is. You can't however set up the bases and their strength which I believe you can do in Empires mode.

lum0s

Banned
Yup, 1 vs 1000 concept.

I do agree though that Empires could calm down on that concept a bit and make it more of a team effort rather than 1 vs 1000.

I remember DW Next for Vita had an option where you had a couple other officers you could order around and tell them to attack or defend a location (really cool concept, despite Next's other flaws). I had read you could "order" officers in DW8E and had hoped it would be similar to Next in this regard.

Anyone know if that's the case, or is it something else entirely?

NeonZ

I remember DW Next for Vita had an option where you had a couple other officers you could order around and tell them to attack or defend a location (really cool concept, despite Next's other flaws). I had read you could "order" officers in DW8E and had hoped it would be similar to Next in this regard.

Anyone know if that's the case, or is it something else entirely?

You can order any allied officers in the battlefield if you're a vagabond unit leader or ruler. Attack bases or enemy officers, defend bases or follow alongside an allied officer. You can choose specific units and targets by pausing the game or give more general orders during gameplay.

ZhugeEX

Banned
You can order any allied officers in the battlefield if you're a vagabond unit leader or ruler. Attack bases or enemy officers, defend bases or follow alongside an allied officer. You can choose specific units and targets by pausing the game or give more general orders during gameplay.

Just to clarify my point. I'm not talking about what you can command the allied troops to do, I'm talking more the impact they have on the overall battle.

What would be cool to see is your allied troops being able to win a battle (where they outnumber/rank the opposing army) easily without you needing to actually fight as much. The strategy cards are good at stuff like this but I'd like to see more of an engineering and commander focus on them as well.

NeonZ

Just to clarify my point. I'm not talking about what you can command the allied troops to do, I'm talking more the impact they have on the overall battle.

What would be cool to see is your allied troops being able to win a battle (where they outnumber/rank the opposing army) easily without you needing to actually fight as much. The strategy cards are good at stuff like this but I'd like to see more of an engineering and commander focus on them as well.

In both DW7E and DW8E they can win a battle like that though, if they have moral advantage, as long as you're guiding them to keep them focused, rather than spread all over the map. DW8E also seems to have sped up how long they take to defeat officers or take forts off screen.

The main issue is that the opposite army generally has advantages that the player's army lacks, like extra reinforcements that raise their moral, even if they start the battle in a disadvantage. So, even in a battle that starts with a player army advantage, without the player actively fighting, the AI can lessen or turn around that advantage, but it's not due to the officers themselves, but just advantages that the AI armies get that the player's own army lacks.

Those advantages are there because it's assumed that the player will be fighting too, not just giving orders and using stratagems, and the player certainly counts for more than a single npc officer. So, they need a balancing factor. Overall, they'd need to heavily revamp the combat engine itself to make the player equivalent to a single npc officer and so make a game balance that doesn't need to give advantage to the enemy army, if they actually attempted to make the game completely fair for both armies, but I just can't see them ever taking that direction, especially since the whole point of Empires is to reuse DW's engine, not being a standalone game. It'd take first a huge change in a core Dynasty Warriors game itself before an Empires game could actually progress in that direction.

Reknoc

This voice bug is unintentionally the most hilarious thing ever. I didn't even realise it was a bug at first since I don't tend to play with JP voices and I was like "Wow, Zhao Yun has a gruff voice in japanese" Didn't click on until Dong Zhuo had a young mans voice and it was really noticable when Lu Bu was using like, one of the Qiao sisters voice lol

NeonZ

Here's something regarding creation of custom characters that the game doesn't tell directly. Different stat types have different starting stratagems (when they're player characters).

All characters have these stratagems by default: Transformation, Ranged Turret; Unity; Summon; Taunt; Cover Fire

And then each stat type has one or two extra ones:

Balanced: Ice Strike; Fire Attack
Leader: Frontline Recall; Osmosis
Controller: Archer Ambush
Aggressive: Battle Magic
Berserker: Asura’s Might; Spirited
Defensive: Armor; Recovery
Iron Wall: Heightened Defenses
Power: Resolute Defense; Coercion
Sloth: Immovable; Indomitable
Agile: Darkness, Wings of Destiny
Swift Footed: Advance; Swift Raid
Common: Dragnet; Inspire
Simpleton: Affection; Recuperate

This is for when they're player characters. When they're npcs, but don't have any way of life aside from Common Man, they start with a random selection, although it seems like it might favor stratagems of similar types to the ones they'd start with as player characters.

This voice bug is unintentionally the most hilarious thing ever. I didn't even realise it was a bug at first since I don't tend to play with JP voices and I was like "Wow, Zhao Yun has a gruff voice in japanese" Didn't click on until Dong Zhuo had a young mans voice and it was really noticable when Lu Bu was using like, one of the Qiao sisters voice lol

that bug is fixable, it has to do with deleting and re-downloading game data, I think the technique was mentioned in this thread.

Here's something regarding creation of custom characters that the game doesn't tell directly. Different stat types have different starting stratagems (when they're player characters).

All characters have these stratagems by default: Transformation, Ranged Turret; Unity; Summon; Taunt; Cover Fire

And then each stat type has one or two extra ones:

**A LIST OF STUFF**
cool, saw this on Koei's zeta boards, very helpful indeed!

Chariot

Do you have to get all titles at least once over all playthroughs for Decorated Veteran or do I have to skip around in one game?

NeonZ

It seems like they got a big budget cut from 7E - there are less event cutscenes and they're generally shorter, less lines per character too (with many lines being noticeably reused in improper places for the quests)... I still think it's an improvement gameplay-wise though, although even there it has some step backs, like less aggressive peons.

mintylurb

Holy macaroni. PS4 version becomes a slide show when you or enemy units
use that arrow stratagems. It's like watching animu show!

NeonZ

Hey, the game got patched. Aside from the voice fix, now you can set the Way of Life and preffered stratagems of custom characters without needing to have finished the game. You need to obtain those Ways of Life at least once before they become selectable though.

Guys, recently I've got interested in Chinese history and would like to play something related to, especially Romance of the three kingdoms. I've been told that all DW games are based on that and that I should play the latest installment which is the most refined.

I know nothing about this series and I'd appreciate some advice, specially regarding games based on Chinese history, historical accuracy is especially appreciated.

Thanks

NeonZ

Guys, recently I've got interested in Chinese history and would like to play something related to, especially Romance of the three kingdoms. I've been told that all DW games are based on that and that I should play the latest installment which is the most refined.

I know nothing about this series and I'd appreciate some advice, specially regarding games based on Chinese history, historical accuracy is especially appreciated.

Thanks

The "Empires" game is actually a spin off, rather than the latest version. If you want to start the series , you should go with Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete Edition (better moveset variety) or Dynasty Warriors 7 (better stories and cutscenes). The "Empires" games don't have a story mode, so they generally aren't a good introduction.

The characters in the DW series often receive rather colorful fictional personalities, alongside over the top attacks and sometimes weapons too, but the general events in the story modes of the two latest games still generally follow the events of the RotTK book (which already has many differences from actual history), aside from the Jin/End of Wei period, which is sidelined in the book, but receives a big focus in the games now.

If you want a more historical take on the characters and setting, there's the Romance of the Three Kingdoms strategy (or RPG, for VIII, X and the upcoming XIII) series.

Top Bottom