• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires |OT| “I have mistreated an Officer!”

NeonZ

There's also the fatigue system, although recovering from that seems very quick using the recovery command. I remember injuries in DW7E lasting longer.

How do you go about starting as a free agent then starting your own kingdom? Can you just try to take over any province and fight a battle to get it?

I don't think you can be a free agent and raise flag, you first need to get some followers to create a vagrant unit. After that and you have enough troops then you can just go anywhere and raise flag. You'll launch a battle against the territory's holder and if you win you get a cutscene and then becomes the ruler of a kingdom.

apologise for the slightly off-topic question but was the 360 version of the original dynasty warriors 8 ever improved performance-wise? i just ordered a cheap copy so i'm not all that bothered by it if not but it would be good to know about any patches that helped.

So when can I betray my leader? If I formed a blood pact or sibling bond or whatever it is called, can I not do that?

Also, I had a kid but how do I actually see what the kid looks like?

NeonZ

So when can I betray my leader? If I formed a blood pact or sibling bond or whatever it is called, can I not do that?

You could betray sworn brothers and spouses and launch a rebellion against them in DW7E, I haven't tried yet here though.

Also, I had a kid but how do I actually see what the kid looks like?

When they join the army as an officer. One year or so, I think.

Dinda

So as expected the Steam version is a PS3 port.

hmm, now what PS4 or PC?

Is there still this horrible motion blur in the PS4 version? I couldn't play Extreme Legends because of this.

Risette

A Good Citizen

hmm, now what PS4 or PC?

Is there still this horrible motion blur in the PS4 version? I couldn't play Extreme Legends because of this.
nope, PS4 version looks fine.

also they patched that blur stuff out of DW8XL PS4 if you wanna go back to that.

You could betray sworn brothers and spouses and launch a rebellion against them in DW7E, I haven't tried yet here though.

When they join the army as an officer. One year or so, I think.

I can't betray my spouse. So I guess the same goes for sworn brothers.

Yeah, I didn't see an option for it. But again, I am still pretty early on in the game.

And cool, I will await the debut of my daughter. Is there a guide or anything? Some of this stuff can be overwhelming.

Great, will go with PS4 then

Whaaat? Damn, i only played like for an hour and never looked back. Thanks for the info, will try again soon.
But now it's time for Empires first!

There is slowdown that I encountered that had the fps in single digits. That was rough. Other than that, I like what I am playing.

I might get DW8XL on PS4 cause I like playing on the tv as opposed to the PC.

A bit of topic, but is there any talk about a SW4XL? Would like to get SW4 on PS4 but will wait if there is talks about an XL.

apologise for the slightly off-topic question but was the 360 version of the original dynasty warriors 8 ever improved performance-wise? i just ordered a cheap copy so i'm not all that bothered by it if not but it would be good to know about any patches that helped.
Yes, they patched it. You'll still get slowdowns but those are during really busy stages like the fire stage.

I think that happens when there are too many of your own soldiers there. Just leave the base to them or focus on the defense captain since it equals multiple KOs.

Yeah I figured that was the case, i have the redskinned soldiers and noticed there were much more of them around than to the point of there being a swarm..no wonder the enemy soldiers weren't spawning in larger numbers.

Mrbob

hmm, now what PS4 or PC?

I waited to see how the PC version turned out, looks like it is a port of the PS3 game. Now I'm just waiting for my 2TB hdd to come so I can download it for PS4.

Chariot

MA3c314.jpg

No overthrowing your family.

HOLY SHIT MEGATON!!!! Xun Motherfucking Yu!!! Who the hell would want to play as other losers like Dian Wei, Guan Yu, or Gan Ning? This motherfucker is the guy you want to play as when you think Romance of the 3 Kingdoms fighting game! We need Cao Bao and Mi Heng in Dynasty Warriors 9!!! We're already past scraping the bottom of the barrel when Liu Shan became a playable character.

Seriously, are they running out of fighters for this series? Who else is said to be a great fighter that's not in this game? Ma Teng? Ma Dai? Ji Ling? But we get the glorious Xun Yu?!

MA3c314.jpg

No overthrowing your family.

Ha ha, wow, though it makes sense, having to execute familia..messy business.

HOLY SHIT MEGATON!!!! Xun Motherfucking Yu!!! Who the hell would want to play as other losers like Dian Wei, Guan Yu, or Gan Ning? This motherfucker is the guy you want to play as when you think Romance of the 3 Kingdoms fighting game! We need Cao Bao and Mi Heng in Dynasty Warriors 9!!! We're already past scraping the bottom of the barrel when Liu Shan became a playable character.

Seriously, are they running out of fighters for this series? Who else is said to be a great fighter that's not in this game? Ma Teng? Ma Dai? Ji Ling? But we get the glorious Xun Yu?!

I don't know what to think about this post :(

NeonZ

Ma Dai was added back in DW7. Empires is the lowest selling branch of the series, so I guess they didn't want to add anyone too high profile.

We're already past scraping the bottom of the barrel when Liu Shan became a playable character.

It'd be odd if the "final boss" of the Jin campaign were a generic, so he had to be added.

Hollycat

As much as I love this series and want to try the empires games, I refuse to buy another warriors game without dubs. They even took the voice acting away from the map intros, and that was really what made the games for me.

He does bring up alot of points however. One thing I'm finding cumbersome as a ruler is well, the weapon forges. There's no clear indication of upgrading the forge(Even though it says you can upgrade up to 6 times?) and well...finding weapons with properties right now seems to be limited to killing officers on the field with musous. And then there's the whole filling the Musou bar is incredulously slow for some reason.

NeonZ

He does bring up alot of points however. One thing I'm finding cumbersome as a ruler is well, the weapon forges. There's no clear indication of upgrading the forge(Even though it says you can upgrade up to 6 times?) and well...finding weapons with properties right now seems to be limited to killing officers on the field with musous. And then there's the whole filling the Musou bar is incredulously slow for some reason.

It doesn't say you can upgrade it 6 times, it says that you can build 6 of them, and that's what you must do in order to get better weapon. Replace one of the two buildings in other territories with weapon forges. I also misread it and thought that it needed to be rebuilt or something, but that will do nothing. You need to have separate weapon forges at once to actually improve your weapon choices in the shop.

Jim Sterling just published his review of the game. It's certainly not what I expected from Jim, that's for sure.

He gave DW7E a 5/10, it seems like he just doesn't like the Empires subseries. That said, it's also true that most of the improvements this time are more rebalancing and fixes, rather than actual innovations (while somehow also managing to make the presentation worse than DW7E, with less cutscenes and removing the story effects of fame/ways of life). Still, just making the way npcs play more variable (with betrayals outside of evil fame, and new rulers being able to appear during the campaign, free officers and vagabond units now being active too) as well as making the end-game challenging rather than all difficulty dropping off in later stages even in the harder difficulties makes this game a significant improvement over DW7E to me.

ZhugeEX

Banned
They should keep the card stratagem stuff but go back to DW5:Empires policy/officer management.

They've made it too complicated with 7 and 8.

Rymuth

Ravages of Time, bruh

NijlZ1Y.jpg

It doesn't say you can upgrade it 6 times, it says that you can build 6 of them, and that's what you must do in order to get better weapon. Replace one of the two buildings in other territories with weapon forges. I also misread it and thought that it needed to be rebuilt or something, but that will do nothing. You need to have separate weapon forges at once to actually improve your weapon choices in the shop.

Hrm. When selecting which uh, facility to build, it says on the bottom 'Select which faciltiy to build or upgrade.' I got pics here-

So yeah, it doesn't help that it isn't explained very well >_>

massoluk

Banned
I remember back when I played Warriors Orochi Z that I had to do something like pressing F12 on each button to erase the config and then I was able to set it up how I wanted.

However, this isn't properly set up for an Xinput device with a default scheme the same as on consoles? If so, lame.

Many thanks. I was having trouble trying to set up the controller, F12 did the trick. How did these companies not figure out how to do proper PC button configuration yet? It's the year 2015.

Steel

Banned
Just picked it up, I'm curious as to how online multiplayer works. Can people join you in empire mode battles? I remember splitscreen being fun in DW 5's empire mode.

Chariot

Many thanks. I was having trouble trying to set up the controller, F12 did the trick. How did these companies not figure out how to do proper PC button configuration yet? It's the year 2015.
Koei-Tecmo just hates PC. I mean, it's a wonder that they even bother to make a port.

NeonZ

Just picked it up, I'm curious as to how online multiplayer works. Can people join you in empire mode battles? I remember splitscreen being fun in DW 5's empire mode.

Yes, you can active online before any invasion battle in Empires mode and then it'll search for another player to team up with you. There's also local split screen in the same way. I don't think online works for the other battle types though (quests, raids).

Seyavesh

lu xun was right

fire attacks are the best

why even do other strategies when you can start off every battle with inferno and a wind altar

Man, I really like the Empires subseries , but I Just wish battles were less reliant on your character forcibly winning it for your army. It defeats any notion of strategy or management.

Seyavesh

Man, I really like the Empires subseries , but I Just wish battles were less reliant on your character forcibly winning it for your army. It defeats any notion of strategy or management.

yeah this bugs me a lot

i tested this by starting an invasion where my ruler had a literal 10x troop advantage while also initiating a mapwide fire attack + wind altar combo from the first second of the map then alt tabbing

i checked back on the game 30 minutes later and the entire map was conquered but the regular officers could not kill the enemy commander for god knows how long

like, usually at an even troop distribution your generals can make a push with base capturing but the way they tend to spread out vs. the enemy generals clumping together to attack one straight line makes it pretty rough for your side to actually have a positive outcome without your input

NeonZ

like, usually at an even troop distribution your generals can make a push with base capturing but the way they tend to spread out vs. the enemy generals clumping together to attack one straight line makes it pretty rough for your side to actually have a positive outcome without your input

Well, you can give direct orders to them if you're a ruler or vagabond leader. Although in DW8E it seems like the officers sometimes take a while to get commands if they're doing something else at the time? There's also the reinforcements that they added in this game though. When you invade a capital the CPU usually keeps receiving reinforcements, something your units don't get.

I remember back in DW7E's build up there was an interview where it was explained that they made it so any officers anywhere could participate in any battles of the kingdom because they wouldn't want the player left out of battles. That kind of thought seems to dominate quite a few design decisions they make for the series - like how prefects of your kingdom never launch successful invasions by themselves, just raids. There's always this underlining theme of wanting to throw the player into battle, since it's a DW game.

massoluk

Banned
So, some tips. When do you start raising your own banner? My ass keep getting kicked (like 3 officers, first year), so I figure it has to be pretty far into the game before I should declare myself an emperor?

NeonZ

So, some tips. When do you start raising your own banner? My ass keep getting kicked (like 3 officers, first year), so I figure it has to be pretty far into the game before I should declare myself an emperor?

I think you just had a way too low number of officers. Raise banner with 10 officers to start with and things will be more manageable. Also, look for a territory with a limited number of kingdoms around it to prevent attacks from multiple kingdoms at once.

Top Bottom