• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Noi

How many hours do you all have in DW8?

Two words: Bond Grinding.

9519425052_5f52240b5b.jpg

135ish hours.

That's after all the bond grinding.

Doing the 5th weapons is pretty fun. Expect when the slowdowns work against you. I guess I'll just cheese Dong Zhao's stage with a Cyclone Bow and Rod cause using his normal bombs just doesn't cut it especially with all that message lag.

Aizo

Banned
You're all impressive. I surely have the time, but lack the motivation to put that much time into gaming lately :/

Sora_N

I think I'm only at 20 hours, really wish I had more time. Final exam tomorrow night. I was in the middle of Wu story mode (historical) too.

Playing through the Wu campaign right now and it's hilarious. I've always known these guys couldn't keep a commander alive but they're really rubbing it in, in this version.

EYEL1NER

Finally, in a couple days I will be playing this!
I get back to the 'states in 4 days and had decided at launch that I would just wait until I got there to buy the game and have all the time in the world to play it on vacation. Well Gamestop has a $15 off of $59.99 deal going on this week on their site and I decided to place an order, because $45 was a good price for a Musou title. Gonna have to return that though, because a guy on Amazon is selling new copies for $39.99 with free shipping at the moment.

I should be done with reading Three Kingdoms by the time I get home and can dig into this too. There was a period where I was burning through the books quickly at work but then I netted a cert and started having more work to do. Just finished reading about Kongming's taming of the people of Man/captures of Meng Huo; I will be moving onto the fourth book just in time for my flight. I'm surprised I didn't sit down and burn through all four books in two days or so like I normally do when I really enjoy something I am reading. Drawing this out over a month has been pretty pleasant. I'll probably re-read it all before year's end anyway, so I can race through it then.

The deaths of
Guan Yu and Zhang Fei
though...so many feels.

mao2

From this week's Famitsu leak:
DW8 Xtreme Legends is coming out on November 28 for both PS3 and Vita. Vita version will include DW8 as well. New characters are Chen Gong (陳宮) and Zhu Ran (朱然).

EYEL1NER

Chen Gong?! Awesome!!!
PS3 and Vita only?! Not awesome...
But expected.
I should have a Vita by the time that rolls out though, so I will probably grab it for that. If a Musou game on Vita is half as fun as SW Chronicles on 3DS, I should really enjoy it.

So I guess Japanese voices DLC next week cause otherwise we run out of weeks in August.

Hopefully they'll release all the DLC before DW8XL comes out here. I want my new costumes and weapons.

So 150+ hours in, I'm finally done with everything except getting all the Weapons. The gallery says I have 81% of all the weapons, so I thought I was close to being done with DW8, but then once I made a google doc for easy access to what I was missing...

Deeper into the rabbit hole I go.

Man, I'm still at like 68% for weapons. Working (slowly) on getting the 5th weapons and hoping I come across a bunch of a bunch of gold star weapons along the way.

This week we get...more avatars!

Oh and more wallpapers (2 dollars for a boat load of wallpapers) and another stage plus bgm pack for 3 dollars.

The whole Star objective thing is terrible in this game. Not only do they not tell you what you need to do, but the requirements are often so vague it's annoying to actually accomplish them. For example, I'm at Fan Castle with Wu. The goal is to not let Lu Meng get wounded. I'm playing as Lu Meng, and every time I enter the camp my guy is automatically wounded. Even though the arbalests have stopped and I'm not getting hit at all. I can't go in at any other point because the gates are blocked off (for whatever reason), and I can't finish the battle without crossing that point.

So I'm stuck replaying a decently long battle (for the third time) because I'm just the wrong character. Despite doing everything in the battle perfectly.

That's just shoddy design. Even for this series.

The whole Star objective thing is terrible in this game. Not only do they not tell you what you need to do, but the requirements are often so vague it's annoying to actually accomplish them. For example, I'm at Fan Castle with Wu. The goal is to not let Lu Meng get wounded. I'm playing as Lu Meng, and every time I enter the camp my guy is automatically wounded. Even though the arbalests have stopped and I'm not getting hit at all. I can't go in at any other point because the gates are blocked off (for whatever reason), and I can't finish the battle without crossing that point.

So I'm stuck replaying a decently long battle (for the third time) because I'm just the wrong character. Despite doing everything in the battle perfectly.

That's just shoddy design. Even for this series.

You are suppose to get the two Shu officers that you come across after beating Guan Yinping to defect by beating them before they retreat. Then, they'll open the other gates which will allow you as Lu Meng to enter the camp without getting wounded.

If you enter the camp from the east, he'll get wounded regardless what.

Finally got the Weapon Collector's trophy.

And I just have one last trophy to get which is the Chaos one but I rather wait for the costumes first just so I can something to new to look at.

So I guess after 176 hours, I'll put this game on pause until more DLC is out.

Still had a complete blast with this and eagerly looking forward to XL now.

Ken

Someone help me understand how to play DW correctly. Kind of interested in picking this up even though I didn't play DW7 or DW Next much. Only musou game I've actually finished and enjoyed was the most recent Gundam Musou. I usually lose interest after a few hours of the story, just running around and taking control of parts of the map and then pusing towards the final boss or whatever. Maybe I'm not getting super in depth into the combat system or something? I wouldn't mind trying again with 8 but I feel like it's something I'll never 'get" without external help.

Someone help me understand how to play DW correctly. Kind of interested in picking this up even though I didn't play DW7 or DW Next much. Only musou game I've actually finished and enjoyed was the most recent Gundam Musou. I usually lose interest after a few hours of the story, just running around and taking control of parts of the map and then pusing towards the final boss or whatever. Maybe I'm not getting super in depth into the combat system or something? I wouldn't mind trying again with 8 but I feel like it's something I'll never 'get" without external help.

Press square with variations of triangle.

Juggle enemies.

Don't mash the same stuff repeatedly.

Go for style.

For higher combo or to kill? Because stuff seems to die pretty quickly from what I remember.

The game tends to be more rewarding on higher difficulties where things can actually kill you.

I get bored very quickly on the easier settings just because I'm mowing things down effortlessly.

Juggling is good just because it prevents your opponent from attacking you. Also if your weapon has the skill that sets enemies on fire, an enemy that is on fire and in the air will have their health steadily drained. It's not as strong as it was in previous games but it's still useful for killing enemies faster on higher difficulties.

Try playing the game on a higher difficulty setting. You may be getting bored just because enemies are too easy to kill.

Any news regarding japanese voices yet? haven't touched this in a month and have been waiting before I continue doing all the story modes

shaowebb

Been playing this with my wife and I am LOVING all the new cast and weapons. My God Xu Shu the strategist is awesome. Sooooooo mobile. And if you give him Guan Xing's blades as a secondary you can use his ability to change weapons mid air to setup some insanely stylish stuff. Plus that arrow storm third musou that lets you roam around and fight as folks are pinned getting ballista-ed by God.

Sooooooo good.

Absolutely loving all the new stuff and additions to the combat. Especially the rage attacks and the storm attacks. Cannot praise this enough. Makes me excited for just what an eventual Orochi 4 might offer up.

Sakura

I thought they said last month it was coming in August? What's the dealio? I haven't played the game since I got it because I've been waiting.

Oh right, I forgot to post this:

Some problems occurred with #DW8 JP voice option for the master version. Presumably to be released September 25 (TBC) for the PS3. #TKfamily

Tweet 1

However, for the Xbox 360 version of #DW8 Japanese voice option DLC, the master submission will also be done. #TKfamily

Tweet 2

End of September is the new End of August!

Any word on the daggers and kicking greaves from Japan? I'd like to get my hands on those daggers.

Assuming they are keeping their schedule of releasing DLC, they should be released in one pack along with the rest of the original DLC costumes next week.

Unless they decide to stretch out the DLC even longer which means I'll never plat this game. :[

One of the main reasons I bought the game was because they said they'd have JP voices. This is making me not trust Koei.

Funny enough one of the speculations on why this is taking so long is because Koei ran into problems in the parts of the game where there are JP voices but no English dub for it (camp, ambition mode camp, narration).

They should have just dubbed everything!

Aizo

Banned
Funny enough one of the speculations on why this is taking so long is because Koei ran into problems in the parts of the game where there are JP voices but no English dub for it (camp, ambition mode camp, narration).

They should have just dubbed everything!

That's another reason I want the JP voices. The silent sections in which you just read seem very.... boring.

Top Bottom