• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Aizo

Banned
Anywhere I can get this game on the cheap? It's still 60 bucks on Amazon.

Back alley DW dealers. Trade with sex/drugs. Unless you don't consider paying with your dignity to be cheap.

Honestly, just wait a bit. If you've waited this long, may as well keep it up. Xtreme Legends' release will likely lead to a price drop.

EYEL1NER

Anywhere I can get this game on the cheap? It's still 60 bucks on Amazon.

It will be $24.99 at Gamestop on Black Friday.
Getting out on Black Friday sucks, but then again, that is a ridiculous price this close to launch. It felt like I waited forever to get 7 at a decent price from anywhere. I ended up getting a really good deal on 7 at a Kmart after some coupons or something, it was a while ago and I can't remember. But yeah, $25 is a lot better than full MSRP at Amazon.
Then again, there is a pretty big chance that Amazon will match that price.

shaowebb

Just a heads up for those who want to play 2 player story mode in Dynasty Warriors 8...it crashes like crazy.

For starters you can NEVER use DLC weapons in it...like ever. If you even try with either player to have any of your weapons as DLC weapons the game and console will freeze on the load screen for the level. You can use them in free mode but not story mode.

Also be prepared for just crazy ass freezing. Especially the LAST battle on the normal route for Wei. The moment you kill Guan Yu in game the whole thing freezes up because it just cant figure out how to load the cutscene after that for some reason. Also many MANY battles at random will just plain not have officers load (as well as troops). It just cant handle processing all the folks each screen wants to load if you are running off into different areas to fight different groups. Many times you have to run off a good distance together, kill some grunt and then run back to where the officers were to get them to respawn. The Wang Yi vs Ma Chao battle in Wei is also notorious for this along with a ton of crap in Shu and Jin. The hypothetical route where Zhuge Dan stops being a twat is one such fight alongside of the Shu version of Guan Yu's fight vs Wei at the castle.

Just plain glitchy as hell in 2 player story mode. Thankfully 2 player free mode seems a bit better. At least we can use DLC in that mode together :|

shaowebb

The hell? I just cleared the hypothetical route for Wu and somehow after we JUST killed Guan Yu and Zhang Fei two battles earlier they are chilling at a table drinking and partying with Wu in the ending.

Hypothetical indeed. Even the dead showed up for this party...

The hell? I just cleared the hypothetical route for Wu and somehow after we JUST killed Guan Yu and Zhang Fei two battles earlier they are chilling at a table drinking and partying with Wu in the ending.

Hypothetical indeed. Even the dead showed up for this party...

IIRC, you don't kill Guan Yu or Zhang Fei in Wu's Hypothetical mode cause you know that'll basically destroy the Wu-Shu alliance they were trying to do there.

Roubjon

Guys I've been itching to play a game like Sengoku Basara 3 for the longest time and I've had my eye on this for a while. It's finally dropped $35 from the normal $60 price point on amazon and is at the crazy low price of $25.

It's definitely worth it at this price right? I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before, but this one seems to be the best in a while and has a ridiculous amount of stuff to do. I'm probably going to pull the trigger at midnight unless someone tells me that it isn't anything like Sengoku Basara before that lol.

Looking forward to it!

Guys I've been itching to play a game like Sengoku Basara 3 for the longest time and I've had my eye on this for a while. It's finally dropped $35 from the normal $60 price point on amazon and is at the crazy low price of $25.

It's definitely worth it at this price right? I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before, but this one seems to be the best in a while and has a ridiculous amount of stuff to do. I'm probably going to pull the trigger at midnight unless someone tells me that it isn't anything like Sengoku Basara before that lol.

Looking forward to it!

It's similar to Sengoku Basara in that you fight through crowds of enemies through stages. The stages are a lot more open than Basara's but kinda still have that linear feeling through the stages as you do missions as you go through the stage.

The combat is the same but this game is less about combos and more about killing fodder. I mean you can do crazy long amounts of combos but getting a higher KO count is more what you are aiming for than getting a high combo count.

There are more characters and weapons to use and they all have some quirk that makes them different from each other but it's not as large as Basara is between characters.

Basically, don't go expecting this to be the same as Basara. It's the same genre, but the focus is more on the variety of characters and their killing speed than doing all them combos. There is a large variety of things to actually do and well worth the 25 dollars it's going to be tomorrow.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DW8+XL came in today. Only had time to mess around and play a few levels. Lu Bu's daughter is pretty fun to play as. That crazy cross weapon is back! Gonna try the new Lu Bu storyline route but then focus mainly on the new XL stuff in this port I think. Although you have to go through the story modes to unlock levels, I like that all of the characters are available right off the bat to use in the other modes. Speaking of which, Challenge Mode has been added.

The Vita version looks a bit better than some of the other Koei ports. Definitely better than Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, for example, but unfortunately it suffers from some pretty bad framerate drops. The console version has this problem too, but it's noticeably worse on Vita. Still completely playable (it's a musou game- nothing particularly precise is needed here), but the other Koei Vita musou games perform better in comparison. Maybe a patch will fix things up. For now I'd definitely recommend getting this on PS3 or PS4 instead.

Some pics of the Vita port. As always, Vita captures look shittier than the real thing.

QUXh06C.jpg
pRuMPnY.jpg

RcN3Fux.jpg
1WPpA6X.jpg

For comparison, here's WO3U:
7KIJGp5.jpg
ZwDzxjj.jpg

And One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2:

qD4FyAJ.jpg
37vScy6.jpg

One Piece is Koei's best port to the Vita, IMO. It may be more simplistic visually, but it looks the best.

Aizo

Banned
Is a lot lost when these are ported to vita? Less enemies?

I'm going to be picking up Shin Gundam Musō for Vita, and now I'm afraid.

Main thing besides the graphics and the slow downs would definitely be less enemies on screen and in general on the map. There is also the possibility of enemy pop ups though not sure if DW8 suffers from this on the Vita.

Lyte Edge

Depends on the game in regards to how much detail is lost. Recent games don't seem very devoid of enemies, but you definitely should always expect more enemy pop-in and less detail.

DW8 is the first Vita port to have these kinds of bad framerate issues- other games tend to only drop or slowdown a little more than their console counterparts. Hopefully it's just this game and hopefully Koei can do something to patch the problem. Can't say that I regret the purchase, though- it's still a very solid port overall.

Main thing besides the graphics and the slow downs would definitely be less enemies on screen and in general on the map. There is also the possibility of enemy pop ups though not sure if DW8 suffers from this on the Vita.

Enemy pop-in happens on the console versions too, so yes, it's definitely there on Vita.

Aizo

Banned
I hope I'm not making a mistake. I'm buying a Vita just to play it. (Of course I'll play other Vita games afterwards, but this is what won me over.) My PS3 is in another country, so... yeah.

Lyte Edge

I hope I'm not making a mistake. I'm buying a Vita just to play it. (Of course I'll play other Vita games afterwards, but this is what won me over.) My PS3 is in another country, so... yeah.

If you're that concerned about the quality of the port, wait!

Aizo

Banned
If you're that concerned about the quality of the port, wait!

Wait for what? To go back to the country where my PS3 resides, or for impressions from others? I honestly don't know when that will be, so I don't think I shall. I mean, I think I'm getting it regardless. I can't imagine that it'll be disappointing.

Lyte Edge

Wait for what? To go back to the country where my PS3 resides, or for impressions from others? I honestly don't know when that will be, so I don't think I shall. I mean, I think I'm getting it regardless. I can't imagine that it'll be disappointing.

Wait for impressions- why would I suggest you wait to go back to wherever your PS3 is? LOL.

But yeah, they have a good track record so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Depends on the game in regards to how much detail is lost. Recent games don't seem very devoid of enemies, but you definitely should always expect more enemy pop-in and less detail.

DW8 is the first Vita port to have these kinds of bad framerate issues- other games tend to only drop or slowdown a little more than their console counterparts. Hopefully it's just this game and hopefully Koei can do something to patch the problem. Can't say that I regret the purchase, though- it's still a very solid port overall.

Enemy pop-in happens on the console versions too, so yes, it's definitely there on Vita.

Actually, how's the stages with fire? I know the PS3 version painfully chugged along with those so I wonder if the Vita literally catches on fire trying to render those stages, lol.

Lyte Edge

Actually, how's the stages with fire? I know the PS3 version painfully chugged along with those so I wonder if the Vita literally catches on fire trying to render those stages, lol.

Are there any early stages with fire I can try real fast?

Are there any early stages with fire I can try real fast?

Actually I think the first Wei stage where you fight Dong Zhao is where you can first encounter fire after passing through the gate and he sets the village on fire.

The second Shu stage should have fire as well, which is the same stage just with more Guan Yu.

Actually I think the first Wei stage where you fight Dong Zhao is where you can first encounter fire after passing through the gate and he sets the village on fire.

The second Shu stage should have fire as well, which is the same stage just with more Guan Yu.

Those are definitely the earliest you can unlock via Story mode. But the fire only springs up at the tail-end of the level, right before taking down Dong Zhuo himself.

Chi Bi - Wei has fire kicking in as soon as you take down 4 officers at the start, if I recall.

Any news on DW8+XL being released in English? Should i just go for the japanese version?

And does it still have those super annoying touchscreen actions to block arrows and such? I just let the arrows hit me in DW Next instead of tapping them, not interested :D

Lyte Edge

Any news on DW8+XL being released in English? Should i just go for the japanese version?

And does it still have those super annoying touchscreen actions to block arrows and such? I just let the arrows hit me in DW Next instead of tapping them, not interested :D

Nope, nothing about an English release yet. It's got to be coming out and we'll probably hear something early next year. Only DW Next has the touch screen stuff. All the other Koei musou games on Vita are straight ports with the touch screen being used in place of the missing L2/R2 buttons.

Returners

Having not played this after the Japanese voices DLC and then playing it now, it's so much better.

Everything is now voiced. Awesome.

Lyte Edge

Depends- DW8 on Vita and upcoming on PS4 contains the entire DW8 plus the XL content. There's also a package version with both discs that came out alongside XL for PS3.

But this is Koei so it will take entirely too long before XL comes out in English. :p

Nah, the way it works is that Koei rewards the people who buy the vanilla games when it comes to XL because you'll need the physical disc to mixjoy with the XL one to get the combined content of both.

Well, with 8XL, mixjoy also works with the digital copy of either game so it is slightly less of a hassle.

Guymelef

Thread worthy???

Q: Any word yet on the PS4 version of Dynasty Warriors 8 and XL coming to EU?
A: Yes, it is coming this Spring 2014.

Also no plans for Samurai Warriors 4 yet.

Q: Do you have any news if Samurai Warriors 4 will get a european release?
A: It’s not on our Q1 2014 list. As soon as we have more information, we will let you guys know.

tumblr_inline_my1vosVf5M1qld37u.jpg

Returners

Asked on announcement thread but figured I'll try it here as well.

Did anyone import or buy DW8XL PS4 on the PSN store?

Wondering if there's any cross-save going on.

Returners

I believe it is the Asia-Japan version.

I have heard there's also as usual an Asia-Chinese version as well.

I suspect the Asia-English version will come out when the English version comes out.

I'm looking at sites and all the Asia versions are Chinese sub with Japanese voices.

I'm looking at sites and all the Asia versions are Chinese sub with Japanese voices.

Is it simplified or traditional, or even pinyin?! The unknown is frightening to me, and the answer will drastically affect my purchasing decision. THIS IS IMPORTANT, I NEED TO KNOW.

As if.

Is it simplified or traditional, or even pinyin?! The unknown is frightening to me, and the answer will drastically affect my purchasing decision. THIS IS IMPORTANT, I NEED TO KNOW.

As if.

It_should_be traditional. IIRC, my Asian-Chinese copy of Musou Orochi Z is that and Hong Kong (the central hub for Asian editions) also primarily use traditional Chinese anyway.

Returners

As if.

The way I look for these information is to go to their Taiwan site (which does most if not all of the Chinese sub translations) gamecity.com.tw

Because Taiwan does the translations, traditional chinese.

It_should_be traditional. IIRC, my Asian-Chinese copy of Musou Orochi Z is that and Hong Kong (the central hub for Asian editions) also primarily use traditional Chinese anyway.

The way I look for these information is to go to their Taiwan site (which does most if not all of the Chinese sub translations) gamecity.com.tw

Because Taiwan does the translations, traditional chinese.

Heh, guess the best way to elicit the most useful responses on gaf is to frame the question either rhetorically or sarcastically. Thanks, anyways.

In a way, though, guess it makes sense in hindsight, what with the PRC mainly being PC gamers, and the "Asia" market mainly focusing on HK and TW, like you guys say.

Top Bottom