• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Is this gonna retail for $60 at launch? (NA PS4)

Haven't played one of these games since the second one. I'm sure its come a long way, it looks crazy fun!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
***Warning post again on the Vita version of DW8XL- expect bad framerates***

Cross-posting from the Warriors Community thread. I really don't want to see anyone get burned by this port.

Is it really that BAD? I remember some folks saying a musuo game has some pretty serious framerate problem. Was it this one or D7XL. I am hyped for this for my vita but I can wait and go for Samurai Warriors if it is better.

It can get that bad, yeah. None of the other musou games on Vita have this problem. The amount of framerate problems that occur depend on the stage and area within the stage. Is it playable? Sure. But unless you HAVE to have this game on the go, get it on PS3 or PS4. All I have for recording is an iPhone, but I wonder if it's worth posting footage of the Vita port's issues. (And yes, I have downloaded the patches- they helped, but it's still bad...don't be fooled by videos of the challenge mode showing improvements; it's the regular game maps that have problems.)

I hate that this is what's getting localized -I expect the game to get ripped apart in reviews (more so than the usual mindless musou putdowns) because of these issues- but the excellent Vita ports of One Piece KM2, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, and Shin Gundam Musou are not.

My hope is that Koei has worked on the Vita port since the Japanese release, but since the patches didn't help much, I doubt it.

***Warning post again on the Vita version of DW8XL- expect bad framerates***

Cross-posting from the Warriors Community thread. I really don't want to see anyone get burned by this port.

My hope is that Koei has worked on the Vita port since the Japanese release, but since the patches didn't help much, I doubt it.

But videos I saw on the patch showed major improvements

Lyte Edge

Watching a few comparison videos I can't tell if the PS4 version actually looks better.

It definitely looks better from the resolution and textures alone. The framerate is still all over the place (slightly better than PS3) and is unfortunately not a constant 60 FPS or even a constant 30 FPS.

But the biggest improvement is the enemy pop-in-- it's gone! You get an extremely large amount of enemies on-screen now and the framerate does not suffer for it.

And just to note, the blur effect can be turned down or turned off completely in-game at any time.

Lyte Edge

But videos I saw on the patch showed major improvements

Like I said:

And yes, I have downloaded the patches- they helped, but it's still bad...don't be fooled by videos of the challenge mode showing improvements; it's the regular game maps that have problems.

I keep on posting about this because I don't want to see people buy this port and feel burned by it. It's not up to the same standards as the other musou games on Vita. The sound quality is also bad. I was hesitant to order Sengoku Musou 4 because of this, but footage that popped up of it looked good.

If you don't think the framerate problems will bother you, by all means get this game on Vita- all the content from the PS3/PS4 versions is intact and you can use your save files from either version with it. Just want to warn people about the technical problems is all.

I can't decide whether to get this on PS3 or Vita. Either way I'll be waiting because Diablo III Reaper of Souls launches on the same day.

Lyte Edge

Just to add, I just got Sengoku Musou 4 (Samurai Warriors 4) on Vita and PS3 this morning. The Vita version has a great, stable framerate and the sound quality is very good. I'd sell off DW8XL now if it were easy enough to do so.

I can't decide whether to get this on PS3 or Vita. Either way I'll be waiting because Diablo III Reaper of Souls launches on the same day.

I'm going for Vita personally. I'm not as easily bothered by framerate as some people are.

It would have to be truly unplayable for me to care. If it's just some drops now and then I'm fine with it.

hamchan

It definitely looks better from the resolution and textures alone. The framerate is still all over the place (slightly better than PS3) and is unfortunately not a constant 60 FPS or even a constant 30 FPS.

But the biggest improvement is the enemy pop-in-- it's gone! You get an extremely large amount of enemies on-screen now and the framerate does not suffer for it.

And just to note, the blur effect can be turned down or turned off completely in-game at any time.

Sounds pretty good. Probably will buy it then since it's only $20 more than just XL on the PS3 by itself. Just have to finish off the DW8 trophy list before I move on though.

Lyte Edge

Holy shit, I did not know this at all and it was really getting on my nerves.

Yeah, I'm glad it's optional. The effect is "next-gen" in some ways, but it's really, really annoying and at times makes me think I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 64 or something.

Lyte Edge I like your avatar :)

Anyone know how the save are gonna work between PS3 and PS4 ?

LOL, thanks! :)

I haven't done save transferring from PS3 to PS4 (I have vanilla DW8 on PS3 and Shin Sangoku Musou 7 Moushouden on Vita and PS4), but I have done save transferring from PS3 to Vita and from PS4 to Vita in all the various multiplatform musou games that have come out since last year. It's basically like a cloud save that is tied to your PSN profile. There's a save/load options menu with upload/download options- takes just a second or two to upload and download saves in any version of these games.

I'm going for Vita personally. I'm not as easily bothered by framerate as some people are.

It would have to be truly unplayable for me to care. If it's just some drops now and then I'm fine with it.

It was absolutely unplayable pre-patch. Now it's better but noticeably bad on some stages. There was a particular level that was really awful for me pre-patch that I've been trying to find again (forgot the name...it's not the burning ship stage) to test.

It was absolutely unplayable pre-patch. Now it's better but noticeably bad on some stages. There was a particular level that was really awful for me pre-patch that I've been trying to find again (forgot the name...it's not the burning ship stage) to test.

I think I'm okay with that then.

Portable DW8 is just so appealing to me. Especially with cross save.

Could it be Hu Lao Gate after you get past Lu Bu where Dong Zhuo decides to set the city on fire and make everything single digit FPS, lol.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Whoa, forgot about this as well...

Got into Dynasty Warriors back in January with 8, had a blast. Didn't beat all the scenario modes, but I guess I can pick up where I left off in XL.

If I have digital of the original, can I get the physical XL and transfer my saves?

Lyte Edge

Could it be Hu Lao Gate after you get past Lu Bu where Dong Zhuo decides to set the city on fire and make everything single digit FPS, lol.

I want to say it was a more-open battlefield with a dull, wintery-look. Green grass fields but a grey sky. For some reason I can't find it and it has to be one of the first stages you play...it should be in free mode! But I don't see it! XD

I want to say it was a more-open battlefield with a dull, wintery-look. Green grass fields but a grey sky. For some reason I can't find it and it has to be one of the first stages you play...it should be in free mode! But I don't see it! XD

That sounds like Hu Lao gate, since they always seem to make that battle either in the snow, or under heavy cloud cover.

There is an open battlefield in the early part of DW8's Hu Lao gate where you have to save Yuan Shu and fight Hua Xiong, maybe you're thinking about that?

Whoa, forgot about this as well...

Got into Dynasty Warriors back in January with 8, had a blast. Didn't beat all the scenario modes, but I guess I can pick up where I left off in XL.

If I have digital of the original, can I get the physical XL and transfer my saves?

I believe so. The save is I think tied to your PSN account and I think the physical can mix-joy with your digital copy.

Does sound like Hu Lao Gate.

It's Wei's first stage and Shu's second stage.

dreamfall

Does anyone know why this isn't on Amazon?

I've seen next to nothing as far as marketing goes- is physical release a retail exclusive?

I want to go in on it for PS4, but where are people buying this?

OSHAN

Does anyone know why this isn't on Amazon?

I've seen next to nothing as far as marketing goes- is physical release a retail exclusive?

I want to go in on it for PS4, but where are people buying this?

I went to preorder it on Amazon as well and no luck.

I haven't really played one of these games since the ps2 but reading the op sounds pretty promising. A couple questions to anyone who might know:

The image posted shows coop for basically every mode for ps4 but I just wanna make sure that its like play through the campaign with a friend no draw backs coop. If they join they save all their stats and stuff on their system etc.

Also is there loot in this series now? I saw weapon crafting in there in the op just wondering how deep that goes/if there are random drops or what.

Got a call from my local shop. They'll be releasing it tomorrow! Great start to the weekend.

Urgh, so jealous. I WANT IT NOW! :(

This will be the first entry in the main series I've played--I've only played DWG1 and 2, along with DWNext. How is DW8 different from those?

I haven't really played one of these games since the ps2 but reading the op sounds pretty promising. A couple questions to anyone who might know:

The image posted shows coop for basically every mode for ps4 but I just wanna make sure that its like play through the campaign with a friend no draw backs coop. If they join they save all their stats and stuff on their system etc.

Also is there loot in this series now? I saw weapon crafting in there in the op just wondering how deep that goes/if there are random drops or what.

Any buddy know?

EGOMON

Need answer to this too

Terra_Ex

I'm extremely late in catching up on the XL news but I see they added Lu Lingqi, I made sure to request her in that dynasty warriors survey they put out a while back (and while I'm sure my request had no effect, I like to think it did), hopefully she'll remain a series mainstay in the future. Very excited, will definitely be buying XL when it releases, really enjoyed 8.

Need answer to this too

Don't know about co-op. I do believe you might need to have the stages unlocked for both people (which was the case for WO3) but never tried DW8's co-op.

There's loot in forms of weapons. Every officer drops a random weapon upon defeat while playable officers drop their own weapon upon defeat.

All come with a random assortment of skills which you can use to fuse with other weapons and such.

Top Bottom